PDA

View Full Version : Sherrod, Richardson, and the Rest of the PUPpies

Fritz
10-30-2013, 01:37 PM
I've been wondering how Sherrod is looking. The coaches' responses so far are as vague as that of a girl who'd been asked to prom but is waiting to see if a better offer comes along.

And if they activate him, whose spot does he take, and do they coach him up at right tackle or left tackle? Or both?

Barclay has of late been wilting a bit. He gets pushed back so much and so far that I even notice it. Clearly the coaches don't think Newhouse is any better, but I wonder if Sherrod is healthy, by the end of the season might he be ready to step in? Would they dare?

And Richardson - after our original Banjo Boner, the guy seems to have fallen back to playing like a Jag who's been cut from Jagsonville. McMillan is still exploring the inner reaches of his rectum, and Doc Jennings seems to have his head up his own behind half the time, too. Does Richardson offer any real promise for the near future? Is he practicing, even?

And is there room for Worthy? Who would you displace on that line? Clearly the team doesn't want to risk losing Boyd, who has shown nothing so far but must have either potential or pictures of the coaching staff doing dirty things with donkeys. So is there room for Worthy on this year's team, barring injury?

And Tretter - has that guy been IR'd yet? Sounds like he needs to be. I heard he just started walking yesterday or something.

Joemailman
10-30-2013, 04:14 PM
I've been wondering how Sherrod is looking. The coaches' responses so far are as vague as that of a girl who'd been asked to prom but is waiting to see if a better offer comes along.

And if they activate him, whose spot does he take, and do they coach him up at right tackle or left tackle? Or both?

Barclay has of late been wilting a bit. He gets pushed back so much and so far that I even notice it. Clearly the coaches don't think Newhouse is any better, but I wonder if Sherrod is healthy, by the end of the season might he be ready to step in? Would they dare?

And Richardson - after our original Banjo Boner, the guy seems to have fallen back to playing like a Jag who's been cut from Jagsonville. McMillan is still exploring the inner reaches of his rectum, and Doc Jennings seems to have his head up his own behind half the time, too. Does Richardson offer any real promise for the near future? Is he practicing, even?

And is there room for Worthy? Who would you displace on that line? Clearly the team doesn't want to risk losing Boyd, who has shown nothing so far but must have either potential or pictures of the coaching staff doing dirty things with donkeys. So is there room for Worthy on this year's team, barring injury?

And Tretter - has that guy been IR'd yet? Sounds like he needs to be. I heard he just started walking yesterday or something.

I think they will activate Sherrod and cut Lane Taylor.

I think they like Barclay's run blocking. As long as he isn't getting Arod killed, I think they'll stick with him.

Richardson is an intriguing athlete, but I don't think he's ever played Safety in a regular season game. I think they'll stick with a combination of Banjo and Jennings.

Tretter is still on PUP. Hard to imagine a rookie who missed all of minicamp and training camp to be ready to contribute anything, even if he is an Ivy League guy who scoed 30-something on the wonderlic. I think they'll IR him.

I have no idea what they will do with Worthy. Not sure they can find room on the roster for 8 D-lineman.

run pMc
10-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Haven't heard anything, but IIRC only Sherrod has started practicing. Haven't heard how he's doing, but they won't give up on him, and if he's healthy they won't IR him. I'd guess they'll cut Harper or Nixon (depending on the health of the WRs and CBs) to make room on the roster for him. The other candidate would be to cut Lane Taylor and try to put him back on PS. I would not be surprised if they tried Sherrod at both LT and RT, with the idea that he'll at least replace Newhouse as backup swing tackle and compete with either Bahk or Barclay for a starting spot.

If it's true that Tretter is just walking around now they'll IR him, especially since he missed all of camp.
I think they wait on Worthy as long as possible before IRing him -- I'm skeptical Worthy would crack the lineup (barring injury) with Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Daniels, D.Jones and Wilson ahead of him. They'll give him a shot at a spot next year.

Richardson is a real question mark to me. Sounds like he's back from the neck injury, but GB has been very quiet about him playing again. He could replace Banjo or McMillian. I think Jennings is keeping the seat warm for the real starting safety. I don't think they've given up on McMillian, but they like Banjo and he's getting more snaps. If they don't IR Richardson, they'll see what he brings to practice and let him compete to see if he's better than what they have. Can't see them carrying 5 safeties, but they've made unusual decisions with roster spots for WRs and TEs before, so you never know.

CaptainKickass
10-30-2013, 04:36 PM
This type of shit makes my brain hurt. I can't speculate under these conditions. I'll leave it to TT & the coaches.

Fritz
10-31-2013, 11:44 AM
This type of shit makes my brain hurt. I can't speculate under these conditions. I'll leave it to TT & the coaches.

Whaddya talking about? Speculation is what we do, man.

I wonder if the words "speculate" and "speculum" are related. Hmmm.

To me, Sherrod is an interesting wild card. But can he really help when he hasn't played organized football in about two years?

Richardson is even more intriguing, because in my fannish mind, he could come in, get in shape, play on ST, learn more in the coming weeks, then take over for Banjo Jennings. After all, does Banjo have any much more experience with the system than Richardson? At least Richardson's been studying up on paper the last year and a half. But that's me being a fan, being wishful.

Worthy - he didn't show much last year, and right now barring injuries I don't see that he has a role on this team.

Tretter - IR the guy. It's a redshirt year.

Tony Oday
10-31-2013, 01:49 PM
I think Barclay is pushing his guys wide enough for AR to step up.

I think Bahktari is our Left Tackle. Baby Bulaga is going to be a RT next year. VERY exciting that we dont have to use high picks on tackles...maybe a sweet center, Saftey, WR or TE.

Pugger
10-31-2013, 03:51 PM

:lol:

pbmax
11-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Sherrod Gets Second Padded Practice (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-might-delay-returns-of-sherrod-worthy-b99133041z1-230307241.html)

And, yes, that is the good news if you believe in McGinn's forecasting abilities. He does not see Sherrod supplanting Lane Taylor as the backup Guard now that GVR is on IR. He also does not see him supplanting Newhouse as the #3 Tackle. Packers have 7 O lineman on the roster other than Sherrod. However, there is an option here. Barclay practiced in camp at Guard (both sides as I recall) and could serve as a 3rd Guard as needed with Newhouse/Sherrod then playing RT. A lot depends on how the team feels about Taylor. There are also options at center if one of those Guards or Barclay has to move there.

McGinn said Sherrod moved well in the padded practice though he did not get a lot of movement in half line drills.

Worthy is in a similar situation on the D line, though perhaps a bit worse, because while the Packers have carried 8 O lineman in the past, they currently have 7 D lineman which is already one past the usual number. Its also a weird number because Neal should count as 7.5 because he takes reps as the nickel D tackle in the pass oriented sub package.

However, while it is clear that Worthy is being held out as long as possible for healing AND the possibility of injury, Sherrod must have been activated to practice for a reason. I suspect that while Josh Boyd might have enough upside and favor with the coaching staff (who Bob says like his talent) to put the squeeze on Worthy, the same probably cannot be said about Lane Taylor.

But a decision on Sherrod must be made next week as he began to practice on Oct 17th. Worthy can delay practice and the opening of his three week window until the Nov. 18th.

Pugger
11-02-2013, 12:18 PM
If he is practicing he can't go back on PUP, right? And could we put him on IR even if he isn't really injured? I doubt we could get away with that...

Bretsky
11-02-2013, 01:24 PM
If he is practicing he can't go back on PUP, right? And could we put him on IR even if he isn't really injured? I doubt we could get away with that...

I'm sticking with how I felt all along; I don't think he's good enough to get on the roster

Fritz
11-02-2013, 03:20 PM
You will be proven wrong! He'll be the starting right tackle next year! Fritz knows all!

Pugger
11-02-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm sticking with how I felt all along; I don't think he's good enough to get on the roster

What have you seen of Sherrod's play - besides a stint trying to play guard when he ain't no guard - makes you believe he isn't good enough to get on the roster? He was a first round pick for a reason.

pbmax
11-02-2013, 06:40 PM

This year, at the moment or do you think he is worse than Lane Taylor overall?

Patler
11-02-2013, 08:49 PM
I think they have gotten themselves in a bit of a pickle with Sherrod this year. They should have IR'd him at the start of the season when they could have done it easily. Now, they might have little option but to roster him. I suppose he could suddenly experience discomfort after practicing three weeks, to justify IR now, but it sounds like he is physically able right now. Physical ready, probably not football ready.

I just think it is unfair to expect anything from him this year. He has never participated in an off season program; he had an abbreviated TC as a rookie, but nothing the last two seasons; he had limited playing experience before breaking his leg. He has not played in almost two years, and in-season practices don't do much to get someone ready who has been gone that long.

If James Jones is ready next week, one of White or Harper, maybe Stoneburner could be released. White probably would be the easiest to get through waivers and on to the practice squad if they want. I admire his effort, but he doesn't look physically ready yet.

They've been hanging on to Boyd for a reason, probably for next year. Pickett, Raji, Jolly and Wilson will all be FA's.

red
11-02-2013, 09:23 PM
What have you seen of Sherrod's play - besides a stint trying to play guard when he ain't no guard - makes you believe he isn't good enough to get on the roster? He was a first round pick for a reason.

he was a project, he had a long ways to go when he was drafted to become the player he was suppose to be.

in three seasons he you can probably count all the times he's practiced on both fingers

guy has always been a project and i can't see how he still wouldn't be a project at this point.

if he can't go then its time to cut the cord and plan for a replacement imo

Guiness
11-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I think they have gotten themselves in a bit of a pickle with Sherrod this year. They should have IR'd him at the start of the season when they could have done it easily. Now, they might have little option but to roster him. I suppose he could suddenly experience discomfort after practicing three weeks, to justify IR now, but it sounds like he is physically able right now. Physical ready, probably not football ready.

I have to agree with you on that. They probably made a mistake with how close he was when they evaluated him at TC. He and Tretter aren't experienced vets that can slide back into a role, they both have to learn theirs and I can't see either of them getting on the field much this season.

Joemailman
11-02-2013, 10:10 PM

I don't think there's a problem here. They can place him on IR if they want. Just because a player has practiced doesn't mean he's ready to play football. I don't think they need any justification to put him on IR. It's just their call.

Patler
11-02-2013, 10:47 PM
I don't think there's a problem here. They can place him on IR if they want. Just because a player has practiced doesn't mean he's ready to play football. I don't think they need any justification to put him on IR. It's just their call.

I'm not sure about that, maybe. Quite a few years ago, the league determined that teams were stockpiling players by placing generally healthy players on IR. They instituted a medical review policy for IR justifications. I don't know if that is still part of it or not, but if it is, Sherrod could present a problem. There doesn't seem to be any concerns about him physically, at least none that have been reported since he started practicing.

Bossman641
11-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Have to believe the Packers have held onto Sherrod for a reason. It would be moronic to keep him through 2 years of rehab and then cut him as soon as he nears availability. If it comes down to Sherrod or White/Harper on the active roster I choose Sherrod every time.

Bretsky
11-03-2013, 07:55 AM
You will be proven wrong! He'll be the starting right tackle next year! Fritz knows all!

No Dice

The Packers OL will really be solidified when Bulaga, who has shown promise right off the bat from his initial season and has proven to be a player when on the field, steps back and excels at RT next year and the Backman continues at LT

Justine....Sherry........come on man..........just give him his full time assignment==IR

Bretsky
11-03-2013, 07:57 AM
This year, at the moment or do you think he is worse than Lane Taylor overall?

This year......Long term....if he can stay healthy...he's better than Lane Taylor. But he's not ready to help IMO

Bretsky
11-03-2013, 08:02 AM

The Packers gave Sherrod a chance to show he was NFL ready to start; with his performance at OG he proved he was not.
They've did the same with others and some has had stints starting at OG after they looked good there. He's a project iMO and I have no problems with them moving on.
I don't understand how anybody could think he can help this year after looking marginal when he was here and having been away so long. If there is a way to IR him we should.

ThunderDan
11-03-2013, 08:39 AM
The Packers gave Sherrod a chance to show he was NFL ready to start; with his performance at OG he proved he was not.
They've did the same with others and some has had stints starting at OG after they looked good there. He's a project iMO and I have no problems with them moving on.
I don't understand how anybody could think he can help this year after looking marginal when he was here and having been away so long. If there is a way to IR him we should.

Sherrod is an OT and OT only. He is a dancing bear. It was a joke that the Packers tried him at G other than to try and get a first round pick playing time. After watching his college tapes you could see he was excellent one-on-one in space.

denverYooper
11-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Sherrod is an OT and OT only. He is a dancing bear. It was a joke that the Packers tried him at G other than to try and get a first round pick playing time. After watching his college tapes you could see he was excellent one-on-one in space.

This. I'm sure they'll give him a long look to see if he got his movement skills back. That's a huge man right there.

Fritz
11-03-2013, 10:19 AM
This. I'm sure they'll give him a long look to see if he got his movement skills back. That's a huge man right there.

Funny, when you read the comments of Packer defensive linemen (Mike Daniels, Datone Jones) who have begun to practice against him, they describe him just the way scouts have: excellent feet, finesse player, a big man. They seem to think he's strong enough, which is a nice way of saying he's not a particularly physical guy. But they say he can move in space.

I think he'll be good, but I think he won't be until next year. He won't be able to get the kind of practice time he needs this year to do much good.

Pugger
11-03-2013, 10:29 AM
We have to remember he is still technically a rookie as far as reps go.

pbmax
11-03-2013, 11:31 AM
McGinn gives this as an option, kinda PUP with a chaser:

keep him on PUP for the rest of the season

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-might-delay-returns-of-sherrod-worthy-b99133041z1-230307241.html#ixzz2jb4yAxmw
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter

Which suggests to me that he can go back on the list without too much trouble but would be unavailable for the rest of the year.

Guiness
11-03-2013, 02:23 PM
McGinn gives this as an option, kinda PUP with a chaser:

Which suggests to me that he can go back on the list without too much trouble but would be unavailable for the rest of the year.

Is that possible? I thought when they came off PUP they had the 3 weeks to evaluate, then they had to put them on the roster, release of IR them.

Joemailman
11-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Is that possible? I thought when they came off PUP they had the 3 weeks to evaluate, then they had to put them on the roster, release of IR them.

I'm not sure now. There seems to be conflicting information as to whether they have to IR a player they don't want to activate, or whether they can just keep them on PUP for the rest of the year.

Guiness
11-03-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure now. There seems to be conflicting information as to whether they have to IR a player they don't want to activate, or whether they can just keep them on PUP for the rest of the year.

And what would the difference be? TFA says put them back on PUP for the rest of the year, which seems to come out the same as if they'd just IRd them.

CaptainKickass
11-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Almost completely irrelevant....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2zQKqgNAeE

denverYooper
11-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Almost completely irrelevant....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2zQKqgNAeE

Great song.

red
11-03-2013, 03:14 PM
We have to remember he is still technically a rookie as far as reps go.

true, but he's a rookie who has almost taken the last 3 years off. no working out no practicing, no learning how to be better.

i can't imagine he's anywhere near being in pro football shape

i've written him off already in my mind, anything we get from him will be an unexpected bonus IMO

bobblehead
11-03-2013, 03:37 PM
true, but he's a rookie who has almost taken the last 3 years off. no working out no practicing, no learning how to be better.

i can't imagine he's anywhere near being in pro football shape

i've written him off already in my mind, anything we get from him will be an unexpected bonus IMO

I am the biggest (tied with pbmax) sherrod supporter/believer here and this is my sentiment. It would be very hard for him to contribute this year. Not impossible, but difficult.

I also think he is our starting LT next year. He has every tool you want. Playing guard isn't the same as tackle and he never should have been shuffled around. Barclay, imo, is a guard. He doesn't move well in space but is a high effort grunt. Sherrod is the opposite, graceful, long arms, good feet. He is a tackle all the way.

Joemailman
11-03-2013, 05:37 PM
I am the biggest (tied with pbmax) sherrod supporter/believer here and this is my sentiment. It would be very hard for him to contribute this year. Not impossible, but difficult.

I also think he is our starting LT next year. He has every tool you want. Playing guard isn't the same as tackle and he never should have been shuffled around. Barclay, imo, is a guard. He doesn't move well in space but is a high effort grunt. Sherrod is the opposite, graceful, long arms, good feet. He is a tackle all the way.

Precisely the way I see it. When I watched college film of him, I saw Clifton. Same strengths and weaknesses. Pretty sure they never tried Clifton at Guard.

pbmax
11-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Agree with above and Patler had it right earlier. Whatever advantages PUP offers, they might not be enough to get him into game shape because there is simply not enough reps, padded or not for him to knock all the rust off.

However, given that they activated him the first week he was eligible and that McCarthy said he expects him to play, I do expect to see him on the roster unless he is making zero progress.

Lane Taylor can survive waivers and get the PS again for Guard depth. This is not a slam dunk, given the position depth that Taylor represents (McGinn's point) and given that we know very little about how he has looked. But so far I think the news points to him getting activated and riding the pine. He can play RT, but it will be the mirror of Barclay, better pass blocking and worse run blocking.

Did anyone see the Steelers lose their RT to Chadler Jones being sent flying around Big Ben into the back of Marcus Gilbert. Looked like play Sherrod got rolled on. Gilbert hurt his ankle though, judging by trainers on field looking at his leg.

Patler
11-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Precisely the way I see it. When I watched college film of him, I saw Clifton. Same strengths and weaknesses. Pretty sure they never tried Clifton at Guard.

Clifton? Clifton was known for a stunning punch that stopped guys in their tracks. Sherrod, not so much.

Sherrod seems to be more like a bigger, quicker Newhouse. Hopefully, a more intense Newhouse.

pbmax
11-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Clifton? Clifton was known for a stunning punch that stopped guys in their tracks.

I don't quite remember that punch. He caught a lot of guys and absorbed the rush.

Might be a matter of late career technique change. Most tackles, left and right don't even try to get inside position much anymore. They are seeking to latch onto shoulder pad caps that are loose useful for hand holds.

Patler
11-03-2013, 08:17 PM
I don't quite remember that punch. He caught a lot of guys and absorbed the rush.

Might be a matter of late career technique change. Most tackles, left and right don't even try to get inside position much anymore. They are seeking to latch onto shoulder pad caps that are loose useful for hand holds.

D-linemen mentioned it time and time again through out his career. Can't remember who, but one said that every year on the first pass play against the Packers it would always shock him because it was so intense. Clifton was often rated among the best LTs in pass pro, but fairly poor in the run game, and more often that not his punch was mentioned. I remember one that said he didn't have to be as quick, because he could literally make rushers start over because his punch would stop their momentum.

Clifton was plenty nimble enough, but for most of his career, he didn't look like he had to move as much as the guys we have watched at his spot since, even against the best pass rushers. He slowed them early with a couple of solid sets and punches, and always seemed to be in control from there on. Not hanging on by his fingernails as Newhouse often did, and as Bakhtiari does as well, but not as often and with more intensity and determination than Newhouse showed.

HarveyWallbangers
11-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Sherrod showed solid potential when he played in regular season games his rookie year. Remember that offseason work got wiped out that year and the Packers cross-trained him at OG--which made his transition even more difficult. If he can get and stay healthy, I think he could develop into a solid starter.

Patler
11-03-2013, 09:42 PM
The Packers cross-train most of the O-linemen, especially their tackles. Bulaga played guard, Newhouse played guard, Datko played guard. There was talk after the draft of giving Bakhtiari reps at guard. Tauscher played guard in league games when Rivera was gimpy and limited one year. The fact that they tried Sherrod there for a couple weeks was no big deal, and not at all unusual.

We fall into two camps here. Some like Harvey think Sherrod showed solid potential in his limited exposure at tackle during the regular season as a rookie. I never felt that he did. I hope I am wrong.

Guiness
11-03-2013, 10:15 PM
D-linemen mentioned it time and time again through out his career. Can't remember who, but one said that every year on the first pass play against the Packers it would always shock him because it was so intense. Clifton was often rated among the best LTs in pass pro, but fairly poor in the run game, and more often that not his punch was mentioned. I remember one that said he didn't have to be as quick, because he could literally make rushers start over because his punch would stop their momentum.

Clifton was plenty nimble enough, but for most of his career, he didn't look like he had to move as much as the guys we have watched at his spot since, even against the best pass rushers. He slowed them early with a couple of solid sets and punches, and always seemed to be in control from there on. Not hanging on by his fingernails as Newhouse often did, and as Bakhtiari does as well, but not as often and with more intensity and determination than Newhouse showed.

Clifton did do it seemingly without moving. He always seemed to have control of his man as he dropped back and used him to help build the pocket. I heard the punch mentioned as well, but that's hard to pick up on tv.

The Packers had a weird rotation on the OL for a while. An injury at tackle would have Winters move outside (a center moving to tackle???), one of the guards playing center and someone coming in at guard iirc. Also interesting about that is that Whale was not the first choice to be moved to tackle.

pbmax
11-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Cross training makes sense if the player can man the position. It didn't make sense for either Clifton or Sherrod. Clifton was a backup in his rookie camp (to Wahle) and while my memory cannot be trusted on the matter, I do not recall him ever being mentioned as having snaps at Guard, much less the majority of his rookie year camp time.

But I think Sherrod, more than anyone else the Packers have rolled out for the O line, looked like Clifton in pass pro. He wasn't as reliable or accomplished, but he got back in his set just as nimbly and then found the guy with his hands fast. Once he locked on, the guy never shook loose. And that is what Clifton looked like in pass pro. When Sherrod first entered his games (esp. the first when Bulaga got banged up) he could lose his guy by lunging and missing, especially inside. But that ended after two or three snaps. Still unsure what he will look like run blocking. I recall his staying with his guy, but like McGinn's practice report, not getting much movement.

Bulaga can give up a pass rush on speed to the outside or a counter, Newhouse just never seems in control of the situation and gives up the moment he loses. Lang couldn't move that way (though I think he is a more natural RT than guard). Bach looks like Newhouse except he doesn't let go. But both Bach and Barclay recover like Tauscher. Tauscher often lost the first contact with his guy, but always won the next as he recovered to hit them again. Both the new guys do that. They don't give up.

Patler
11-04-2013, 07:07 AM
I think some are making too much of the Sherrod at guard experiment. It lasted only a couple weeks, and he didn't play exclusively at guard. He also played left tackle even during preseason games. I never thought it was a permanent thought, just a look-see to find out if he might be one of the 5 best before a permanent move to tackle later. Colledge had left, and LG was wide open. Clifton was still around, you had a first round draft pick coming in. Why not see if maybe he could handle it for a year or so?

If he is such a natural tackle as many suggest, a few practices at guard certainly didn't corrupt his entire rookie season, especially since he was still getting practice and game snaps at LT even while they looked at him at guard.

Pugger
11-04-2013, 07:22 AM
We have to remember the players were locked out right after Sherrod was drafted so he never had the offseason training (rookie camp, mini camps and OTAs) that summer like other rookies had before and since. Yes, he's been playing since he was a kid but the step up from college to the pros is huge from what I hear and missing all of those reps and schooling didn't help Derek at all and then his horrible injury.

pbmax
11-04-2013, 08:14 AM
I think some are making too much of the Sherrod at guard experiment. It lasted only a couple weeks, and he didn't play exclusively at guard. He also played left tackle even during preseason games. I never thought it was a permanent thought, just a look-see to find out if he might be one of the 5 best before a permanent move to tackle later. Colledge had left, and LG was wide open. Clifton was still around, you had a first round draft pick coming in. Why not see if maybe he could handle it for a year or so?

If he is such a natural tackle as many suggest, a few practices at guard certainly didn't corrupt his entire rookie season, especially since he was still getting practice and game snaps at LT even while they looked at him at guard.

I posted on this in another thread. The majority of snaps in a training camp are early. After the third preseason game (which was the point the Packers declared Lang the winner) McCarthy switches to regular season Game Week mode and that means no more two a days, such as they exist today, shorter practices with less hitting, plus at least two days a week off from practice.

His reps at LT were 3rd string reps behind Newhouse and those would be fewer than 1st or 2nd team reps. His 2nd team reps were at RT after Lang won the job. He did not get 1st team reps after being moved exclusively to Tackle, which Newhouse got in relief of veteran Clifton.

But if that wasn't enough to knock him off course, there is still the matter of no rookie camp, no minicamp and no off season workouts. All of which Newhouse had PLUS a full, previous camp. Bulaga won a backup tackle job after losing at Guard through injury when there was virtually other candidate to take the job when he returned from his injury. Sherrod was competing with Newhouse.

All of which is just a long way of saying that after he got his feet wet in his backup role during the season, he looked more like an NFL tackle than Newhouse. Its possible during their competition that he graded lower, but its tough to judge in game when we don't know the call/assignment or technique and we don't see practice. I think this gets solved (for better or worse) with being healthy and getting more reps, but that is very tough to do in season as has been stated previously in this thread.

Patler
11-04-2013, 09:48 AM
I posted on this in another thread. The majority of snaps in a training camp are early. After the third preseason game (which was the point the Packers declared Lang the winner) McCarthy switches to regular season Game Week mode and that means no more two a days, such as they exist today, shorter practices with less hitting, plus at least two days a week off from practice.

His reps at LT were 3rd string reps behind Newhouse and those would be fewer than 1st or 2nd team reps. His 2nd team reps were at RT after Lang won the job. He did not get 1st team reps after being moved exclusively to Tackle, which Newhouse got in relief of veteran Clifton.

But if that wasn't enough to knock him off course, there is still the matter of no rookie camp, no minicamp and no off season workouts. All of which Newhouse had PLUS a full, previous camp. Bulaga won a backup tackle job after losing at Guard through injury when there was virtually other candidate to take the job when he returned from his injury. Sherrod was competing with Newhouse.

All of which is just a long way of saying that after he got his feet wet in his backup role during the season, he looked more like an NFL tackle than Newhouse. Its possible during their competition that he graded lower, but its tough to judge in game when we don't know the call/assignment or technique and we don't see practice. I think this gets solved (for better or worse) with being healthy and getting more reps, but that is very tough to do in season as has been stated previously in this thread.

I have acknowledged the fact there was no off season time and time again, including earlier in this thread. But, honestly, I don't think it was that much of an excuse. Realistically, the rookies don't get much off season work anyway their first year. A brief rookie orientation camp, maybe some OTA's in June (unless the player is one whose school is still in session, in which case he is not allowed to participate). Sure, it all helps, and 2011 was hectic, but the more significant things for him are missing the 2012 and 2013 off seasons. In 2011, training camp started July 30, not much different than usual.

He didn't get 2nd string reps at LT because he couldn't supplant Newhouse. Newhouse had no off season work in 2011 either, so basically he was what he was the year before, a rookie who was inactive for 15 games, then went on IR. Yet even in the first couple preseason games, Newhouse played better at LT. By the third preseason game, the guard experiment with Sherrod was mostly done, and he worked at both tackle spots, as did Newhouse. Still, Newhouse was better and remained better even as Sherrod became basically only a tackle. Sherrod had opportunities to step over Newhouse, but couldn't, and Newhouse had no NFL regular season game experience at that point.

Bossman641
11-04-2013, 10:14 AM
I don't remember much about Sherrod but I remember being scared shitless when we were down 2 tackles on the road at ATL, and being surprised at how well he held up. Same thing at KC until he got injured.

Bossman641
11-04-2013, 10:41 AM
So I just went back and read McGinn's ratings from the Chiefs and Falcons games.

Falcons - said Sherrod didn't look out of place at RT and it might be his best position. Used hands and set well, got his arms on Edwards. Allowed a sack and knockdown and went wrong way on run for minus 3. Adequate debut.

Chiefs - Started poorly and gave up 3 hurries in 18 snaps. Then settled down and held off Hali, who was giving Newhouse fits. Final word from McGinn...given how poorly Sherrod played in August this final showing was fairly encouraging.

Basically how I remembered it...he started slow bu settled down and you could see the talent was there.

pbmax
11-04-2013, 11:14 AM
So I just went back and read McGinn's ratings from the Chiefs and Falcons games.

Falcons - said Sherrod didn't look out of place at RT and it might be his best position. Used hands and set well, got his arms on Edwards. Allowed a sack and knockdown and went wrong way on run for minus 3. Adequate debut.

Chiefs - Started poorly and gave up 3 hurries in 18 snaps. Then settled down and held off Hali, who was giving Newhouse fits. Final word from McGinn...given how poorly Sherrod played in August this final showing was fairly encouraging.

Basically how I remembered it...he started slow bu settled down and you could see the talent was there.

I remember the bad run when he went one way and everyone else went the other. Though I apparently cannot keep the opponent straight. I think it was one of his first plays.

Don't remember the hurries per se in KC, but I was impressed that even when he didn't win the initial battle, he did not let go and stayed on his feet. That gives the QB time to make a decision or room to make a move. Half of Newhouse's difficulty was giving up on a play after giving up an edge leaving the rusher one on one versus the QB.

Fritz
11-04-2013, 12:59 PM
How many times, too, did Newhouse actually win the battle and have the guy blocked, only to let up and watch the guy get a sack when Rodgers took off out of the pocket? I think Jared Allen did that at least two or three times a game last season against Newhouse.

Patler's right: we're in two camps. Those of us who think Sherrod will be a very good pass blocking tackle (and an adequate run blocker), and those who think he'll be a bust.

Patler
11-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Patler's right: we're in two camps. Those of us who think Sherrod will be a very good pass blocking tackle (and an adequate run blocker), and those who think he'll be a bust.

For me it is a little different. Some think he has shown promise already, others think he did little of nothing as a rookie. I'm in the later group, but I'm not willing to completely write him off yet. I expect nothing from him this year, because that is where I saw him before his injury, and the rust on his game is two years thick.

I want to see him have a full year off season program, and training camp from day 1. Then, if he can't at least push the starters for a job, it will probably be time to move on.

Fritz
11-04-2013, 01:41 PM
True, I don't disagree.

But they sure do need to give him this offseason and training camp to get back in the swing, else they've wasted all this time waiting for him, only to cut him once he's healthy!

Patler
11-04-2013, 01:48 PM
True, I don't disagree.

But they sure do need to give him this offseason and training camp to get back in the swing, else they've wasted all this time waiting for him, only to cut him once he's healthy!

I'm sure they will. The Packers seem to have plenty of patience with injured players.
I think the chances of them out right releasing Sherrod are nil.

Bossman641
11-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Sherrod activated to the 53 man roster. Finley and Barrington to IR. The comeback begins

pbmax
11-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Sherrod activated to the 53 man roster. Finley and Barrington to IR. The comeback begins

I think he can return KOs.

Zool
11-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I think he can return KOs.

How are his foot mechanics and downfield vision? Does he have a high arm slot in his drop backs? Put him in at QB and see what happens.

Fritz
11-06-2013, 01:44 PM
How are his foot mechanics and downfield vision? Does he have a high arm slot in his drop backs? Put him in at QB and see what happens.

Let's start with his pad level. One thing at a time, man.

Patler
11-08-2013, 03:20 PM
From the GBPG:

The Packers are especially encouraged about tackle Derek Sherrod’s comeback from a broken leg because he used his 22 months away from the field to improve his body. They added Sherrod to their 53-man roster this week after he’d used up his eligibility on the PUP list.

Sherrod is noticeably leaner through the torso than his rookie season of 2011, and Campen said the 24-year old has significantly improved his strength in his upper body and legs. Sherrod is listed at 6-6 and 321 pounds.

“His body is completely changed, I’m sure you guys can see it, too,” Campen said. “He’s leaned out. He’s upright and tall and stronger. All the arrows are pointing up for him. He just needs reps.”

Upnorth
11-08-2013, 03:27 PM
This is awesome news. Can't wait to see if he is worth anything...

Freak Out
11-08-2013, 07:04 PM
I hope to hell Sherrod can stay healthy and get back into the game.

Joemailman
11-08-2013, 07:18 PM
If Sherrod is significantly stronger, then he has improved what was seen as his main weakness coming out of college. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2011/players/69154.html He always had great footwork. If the leg injury hasn't affected that, he should have a pretty good chance of starting next year, if not this year. It sure would be nice to have him and Bulaga healthy, and then figure out what to do with Bakh.

pbmax
11-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Now we just have to convince M3 to bench Newhouse, put Bach at RT (where he barely practiced in camp) and install Sherrod at LT and all will be well.

Oh well.

bobblehead
11-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Now we just have to convince M3 to bench Newhouse, put Bach at RT (where he barely practiced in camp) and install Sherrod at LT and all will be well.

Oh well.

I'm with you, but my guess is that Sherrod plays RT this year. I don't see MM moving Bach at this point.

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm with you, but my guess is that Sherrod plays RT this year. I don't see MM moving Bach at this point.

I hope NEwhouse stinks it up and they stick Sherrod in there. Or whatever it takes to get him on the field. Who care if the QB gets creamed - it's only Taco Wallace. Actually, I don't wish Newhouse ill, so it would be better if a coach's decision got Sherrod some playing time. But the team needs to give Sherrod his preseason in case he is desperately needed later, and now is the best chance. I agree, RT is the only option.

bobblehead
11-09-2013, 02:06 PM
I hope NEwhouse stinks it up and they stick Sherrod in there. Or whatever it takes to get him on the field. Who care if the QB gets creamed - it's only Taco Wallace. Actually, I don't wish Newhouse ill, so it would be better if a coach's decision got Sherrod some playing time. But the team needs to give Sherrod his preseason in case he is desperately needed later, and now is the best chance. I agree, RT is the only option.

Actually you are disagreening with me, I just think MM will put him at RT regardless of what me or Pb thinks. It would be best in the long run to put him at LT and move Bach to RT.

red
11-09-2013, 03:00 PM
so, lets say sherrod comes back and looks good. do we just focus as him as a RT? is he our future RT or is he our future LT? do you leave bulaga back to RT next year or do you keep him at LT. what happens with Bahk?

some have said that sherrods progress was retarded because we were moving him around and he was trying to learn too many positions. well if he's suppose to be our future LT then wouldn't it have a negative effect on him to play him at RT the rest of the season, only to move him again next season?

or is RT the future for sherrod?

i don't know if reps at RT are gonna help him be a better LT i guess is what i'm saying

HarveyWallbangers
11-09-2013, 03:56 PM
He has the measurables to play LT, but we don't know if he can even play RT at this point. I'm guessing he's on the bench this year--unless somebody gets hurt. Next year, a three way battle between Bulaga, Bahk, and Sherrod.

pbmax
11-09-2013, 05:04 PM
so, lets say sherrod comes back and looks good. do we just focus as him as a RT? is he our future RT or is he our future LT? do you leave bulaga back to RT next year or do you keep him at LT. what happens with Bahk?

some have said that sherrods progress was retarded because we were moving him around and he was trying to learn too many positions. well if he's suppose to be our future LT then wouldn't it have a negative effect on him to play him at RT the rest of the season, only to move him again next season?

or is RT the future for sherrod?

i don't know if reps at RT are gonna help him be a better LT i guess is what i'm saying

Yes, Harv is right. If he had a camp and more reps, then I say put him at Left and let Bach put Barclay on the bench at RT.

But with limited practice reps, we are just going to have to hope for the best and if someone goes down, then he goes in after Newhouse.

With a little luck, he surpasses Newhouse, but even that seems a lot to ask with one padded practice a week.

Freak Out
04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Any word on the progress of the injured OL?

Bretsky
04-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Any word on the progress of the injured OL?

No news on the fruitcake

mraynrand
04-28-2014, 09:19 PM
No news on the fruitcake

Harlan?