View Full Version : GREAT JENNINGS ARTICLE...comparisons to future HOFer

Bretsky
08-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Receiver catching everyone's eye
Jennings impressing coaches, teammates
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 25, 2006

Green Bay - If ability to assimilate rapidly a National Football League system is an indicator of future success, the Green Bay Packers have hit the jackpot with wide receiver Greg Jennings.

Brett Favre and rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings (left) could be two players mentioned in the same sentence a few times this season.

Jimmy Robinson has been coaching Jennings hard during four weeks of training camp. This is his 17th straight season tutoring wide receivers in the NFL, and he was an NFL wide receiver for six years before that.

The five teams for which Robinson has coached drafted 17 wide receivers, including eight in the first three rounds. Most of them struggled as rookies, typical for the position. The one who didn't was Marvin Harrison, and 10 years later that's the receiver Robinson can't get out of his mind when he watches Jennings.

"The only other guy I can remember that came in and pretty much knew what he was doing right away was Marvin Harrison," said Robinson, who coached him in 1996 and '97, his first two seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

"Honestly, I don't remember if he burst on the scene kind of the way Greg has or not. But I know that Marvin was out there very natural at everything he was doing right from the start."

Harrison, 34, is destined for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He is the only receiver in history to average better than 90 receptions per season, including a record 143 in 2002. He ranks third all time in receiving touchdowns with 110. He has been a Pro Bowl starter for the last seven years.

The Colts used the 19th pick in 1996 in take Harrison out of Syracuse. He started 15 of 16 games as a rookie, caught 64 passes for 836 yards with Jim Harbaugh and Paul Justin at quarterback and scored eight touchdowns

Indianapolis went 9-7 under coach Lindy Infante and made the playoffs as a wild card.

That year at the combine, Harrison measured 5 feet 11 7/8 inches, weighed 181 pounds and scored 12 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. After declining to work out, he ran 40 yards that spring in 4.37 seconds.

Jennings was 5-11 7/8 and 197, scored 17 on the Wonderlic and ran 4.42 at the combine. Both his vertical jump (36½ inches) and broad jump (9-9) were common for the position.

"Marvin's definitely a lot thinner than Greg," Robinson said. "When he got to camp, Marvin was probably 176. He's a very thin-waisted guy. Small legs. He's not built like Greg."

At Syracuse, Harrison redshirted in 1991, backed up in '92 and then started for three years. At Western Michigan, Jennings redshirted in 2001, backed up in '02 and then essentially started for three years.

Harrison finished with 135 receptions, 2,718 yards, a 20.4-yard average and 20 touchdowns. Jennings had 238 catches, 3,539 yards, a 14.9 average and 39 touchdowns.

Also, Harrison returned 42 punts for a 12.9 average and two touchdowns. Jennings had 49 punt returns, an 11.0 average and two touchdowns.

The Orangemen were 32-13-1 during Harrison's four seasons; the Broncos were 17-29 in Jennings' four seasons.

"Both have excellent hands and catch the ball in their hands real naturally," Robinson said.

"I don’t know that Greg would have the top-end speed that Marvin had when he was a rookie but he certainly catches the ball like Marvin does."
Charles Woodson and Al Harris, the Packers' starting cornerbacks, agreed with Robinson that Jennings has a much different body type from Harrison.

Harris was adamant about not comparing the two, insisting that it was unfair to Jennings.

"I think Jennings is doing an exceptional job," Harris said. "Don't get me wrong. I'm not doubting his talent. But you never know what he will produce to."

Calling Harrison a "great" wide receiver and clearly one of the top three in the NFL, Woodson didn't see many similarities.

"(Jennings) has come in and looked like he's been here before," Woodson said. "If you're not on your technique, he can get you. He's pretty good off the ball. Shifty. Good quickness. Good coming in and out of his breaks. Very good hands."

Robinson still marvels at the high quality of player the Packers found with the 52nd selection.

"Marvin is a rare commodity, a special guy," he said. "If Greg even approximates what Marvin has done in this league, he will have done very well."

RashanGary
08-26-2006, 12:13 AM
That's my guy... :razz:

woodbuck27
08-26-2006, 12:15 AM
I know what your thinking, B.

Why not start him Vs. da BEARS with Donald Driver.

Greg Jennings has earned that distinction.

PACKERS ! FAITH IN 2006 !!

RashanGary
08-26-2006, 12:22 AM
I think the comparisons are overboard. The guy is a rookie. He could be anywhere from very good to great. Harrison might be a top 5 all time NFL WR. I just think it's going too far to compare them like that.

I don't think there is any way he has as good of career as Harrison. If I had to guess, I would say slightly better than Antonio Freeman and Freeman in his prime was a top 6 NFL WR. I think Jennings can be that good for a few years. Harrison was that good for a freaking decade.

red
08-26-2006, 08:59 AM

he has earned it, more then any other WR besides driver

Bretsky
08-26-2006, 09:05 AM

Green Bay has to start him versus Chicago. How can they not ?

He's outperformed his competition and earned it.

The vets he's competed against are under achievers.

How can he not start ?

B

Rastak
08-26-2006, 09:05 AM
I think the comparisons are overboard. The guy is a rookie. He could be anywhere from very good to great. Harrison might be a top 5 all time NFL WR. I just think it's going too far to compare them like that.

I don't think there is any way he has as good of career as Harrison. If I had to guess, I would say slightly better than Antonio Freeman and Freeman in his prime was a top 6 NFL WR. I think Jennings can be that good for a few years. Harrison was that good for a freaking decade.

No kidding...the Vikes have a rookie that bloggers have been raving about in camp....Jason Carter. So far Jennings leads all recievers in yards in preseason....Carter is number 2...(played one more game than Jennings though) but are both guys HOFers? Nope, we'll see what happens when the real defenses are in place for the regular season. I do like Jennings though, he should have a good career.

Bretsky
08-26-2006, 09:09 AM

Agree completely; reality is you want a solid starter from your 2nd round draft pick. I'd certainly expect Jennings to be that and maybe more so it looks like TT hit on this pick.

B

red
08-26-2006, 09:10 AM

No kidding...the Vikes have a rookie that bloggers have been raving about in camp....Jason Carter. So far Jennings leads all recievers in yards in preseason....Carter is number 2...(played one more game than Jennings though) but are both guys HOFers? Nope, we'll see what happens when the real defenses are in place for the regular season. I do like Jennings though, he should have a good career.

well i think its obvious that you guys have steve smith to our marvin harrison

how can you not see that. they've played 2 or in your case 3 preseason games.

good grief, what more do they have to prove to you?

gbgary
08-26-2006, 09:32 AM

LOL

retailguy
08-26-2006, 10:01 AM

You feelin ok today Red? You .....seem......to have ..... developed a sense of humor. this is VERY funny. Who are you, and WHAT HAVE YOU DONE with Red?

red
08-26-2006, 10:12 AM

You feelin ok today Red? You .....seem......to have ..... developed a sense of humor. this is VERY funny. Who are you, and WHAT HAVE YOU DONE with Red?

its the same humor i always use, some people just miss it, and take what i say seriously, and go on and on and on and on about it

Bretsky
08-26-2006, 10:15 AM

its the same humor i always use, some people just miss it, and take what i say seriously, and go on and on and on and on about it

I never take you seriously :wink: :mrgreen:

red
08-26-2006, 10:21 AM
no one should lol

swede
08-26-2006, 01:46 PM
The Colts used the 19th pick in 1996 in take Harrison out of Syracuse. He started 15 of 16 games as a rookie, caught 64 passes for 836 yards with Jim Harbaugh and Paul Justin at quarterback and scored eight touchdowns

Indianapolis went 9-7 under coach Lindy Infante and made the playoffs as a wild card.

If you recall, the Packers faced Lindy Infante and his Colts in a preseason game that year. I think Tony Mandarich was on that team also. Mild-mannered Lindy somehow got his team all revved up and they dismantled us. And Marvin Harrison put on a damned clinic that night.

A.J. Hawk and Greg Jennings and Abdul Hodge! Thank you TT.

woodbuck27
08-26-2006, 10:57 PM

How can he not start ?

B

It's like this:

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/aug06/gj825.jpg

Brett Favre is gettig really comfortable with Greg Jennings...a large step up for a young WR, to have his QB's confidence /approval.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH in 2006 !!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Nice pick Woody, we will see a lot more of them connecting on the field this year to.

BTW, who says Favre is starting to look old.

rforce
08-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Woodbuck,you are absolutely correct about it helping a young receivers confidence when his QB respects him. Add to that the QB is Brett and I think that adds to his confidence big time. By the way AWESOME picture.

mmmdk
08-27-2006, 01:48 AM
So when can I get my Greg Jennings jersey online? :D I want to wear one for the october 8th game vs Rams. I can't wait!

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 02:30 AM
rforce, welcome to PR! Nice to have another fan on board!!

rforce
08-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the welcome,I have been a lurker on this board for a while. Just reading a lot of the threads. I have two comments,this is THE BEST packer forum I have belonged too. Secondly there are a lot of very knowledgeable members here,not too mention fans as myself who always see things through green&gold tinted glasses. :D

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 11:16 AM
:D

Like I said, great to have ya here and, looking forward to your contributions.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-27-2006, 11:19 AM
not too mention fans as myself who always see things through green&gold tinted glasses.

Isn't that the truth. :smile:

Glad you started voicing you opinion.

Scott Campbell
08-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Secondly there are a lot of very knowledgeable members here..................

Really??? Where? I'd like to meet them too.

Welcome aboard!

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 11:22 AM

He was referring to YOU when he wrote that, you do realize!!! :cool:

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-27-2006, 11:24 AM

He was referring to YOU when he wrote that, you do realize!!! :cool:

I know. I am big time Homer, but I know am not the only one. :D

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 11:34 AM

You and me make two. We should start a thread called "who's a Homer?", just for shits and giggles!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-27-2006, 11:36 AM

You and me make two. We should start a thread called "who's a Homer?", just for shits and giggles!

Not a bad idea :cool:

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2006, 12:46 PM

What a homer! Comparing Jason Carter to Greg Jennings. Like you said, Carter has played an extra game, doesn't play with the 1s, and we'll likely be no better than the #5 receiver. Too friggin' funny! Trying to temper the enthusiasm for Jennings on this board by overblowing Jason Carter's play. Compare Carter to Ruvell Martin... not Jennings. This is the ultimate. Carter has 4 catches in 3 games, and his stats were overblown by a fluke 77 yard TD when nobody decided to cover him late in the last game. I've given the Vikings defense proper credit, but this is too much.

RashanGary
08-27-2006, 01:01 PM
I was thinking the same thing HW.

Jennings is great. He's just not Marvin Harrison. That is just a careless comparison. I think Comparing Carter to Martin is a good one. Comparing Jennings to Robert Brooks or Antonio Freeman would be another good one. Jennings considers himself much like Steve Smith. Hopefully he can make a probowl or two. I think it's possible. I highly doubt Ruvell Martin and the Vikings Carter will do anything.

Bretsky
08-27-2006, 01:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing HW.

Jennings is great. He's just not Marvin Harrison. That is just a careless comparison. I think Comparing Carter to Martin is a good one. Comparing Jennings to Robert Brooks or Antonio Freeman would be another good one. Jennings considers himself much like Steve Smith. Hopefully he can make a probowl or two. I think it's possible. I highly doubt Ruvell Martin and the Vikings Carter will do anything.

The article was not bad; it was the WR coach who began that comparison of Jennings to Harrison when discussing how advanced they seem to be now in comparison with other players. That was some interesting analysis to read. I think Jennings has looked far better than Brooks or Freeman when they were rookies.

The only rookie WR I've witnessed to be better than Jenkins right off the bat is Sterling Sharpe, who I really believe would have went down as one of the best of all time had his career not been ended by injury.

RashanGary
08-27-2006, 01:19 PM
I think Jennings is going to be great and possibly a multi probowler. Over a career, it's going to be almost impossible for him to live up to Harrison comparsions.

I just hope this doesn't continue like this. I hope these comparisons stop just becasue I don't want Jennings to have to live up to ungodly expectations. Antonio Freeman would do just fine and honestly, I think he might be better.

Rastak
08-27-2006, 01:21 PM

What a homer! Comparing Jason Carter to Greg Jennings. Like you said, Carter has played an extra game, doesn't play with the 1s, and we'll likely be no better than the #5 receiver. Too friggin' funny! Trying to temper the enthusiasm for Jennings on this board by overblowing Jason Carter's play. Compare Carter to Ruvell Martin... not Jennings. This is the ultimate. Carter has 4 catches in 3 games, and his stats were overblown by a fluke 77 yard TD when nobody decided to cover him late in the last game. I've given the Vikings defense proper credit, but this is too much.

You might want to re-read what It said and not what you assumed I'd say.

Bretsky
08-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Freeman and Jennings are good comparison actually. Both good route runners and fluent and could run after the catch. BUT.........Jennings seems to catch the ball better away from his body and is faster.

Jennings was a great draft pick and I'm happy at that; the Harrison comparisons, beyond looking at them both as rookies, need to stop.

If Jennings is a solid #2 starting WR or develops into an OK #1 TT made a great pick. Right now it certainly looks like he's capable of doing that.

B

GrnBay007
08-27-2006, 01:24 PM
I just hope this doesn't continue like this. I hope these comparisons stop just becasue I don't want Jennings to have to live up to ungodly expectations.

Yep, I liked it better when Jennings was GB's lil secret weapon and could shock the NFL during regular season.

RashanGary
08-27-2006, 01:25 PM
A more sure handed Antonio Freeman. Sounds like a legit #1 to me.

red
08-27-2006, 02:32 PM
A more sure handed Antonio Freeman. Sounds like a legit #1 to me.

wouldn't that be robert brooks?

Rastak
08-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Oh hell, I feel the need to explain myself....not sure why,,,,

Comparing Jennings to Harrison is FAR more crazy than Jason Carter to Jennings. In my opinion Jennings is a much better prospect, that wasn't my point. I think it's as nuts to compare Jennings to Harrison as it is Carter to Harrison. Carter, undrafted free agent who should make the team. He's played very well and has drawn raves in camp. Jennings who was a 2nd round pick who has drawn raves in camp. If I had my choice of the two I'd take Jennings, I think Harvey TOTALLY missed my point. These guys are #1 and #2 in catches in preseason. BIG DEAL. It's just that, preseason.

That's all I was saying. Aye yi yi.....

GrnBay007
08-27-2006, 03:06 PM

....because you CARE

about the Green and Gold Rastak

when u gonna make that leap and join the Packer faithful? :wink: :razz:

Homer Jay
08-27-2006, 03:07 PM

Not a bad idea :cool:

[b]

I AM HOMER!!

Rastak
08-27-2006, 03:13 PM

....because you CARE

about the Green and Gold Rastak

when u gonna make that leap and join the Packer faithful? :wink: :razz:

Well, I'm thinking when the temp dips below freezing in hades.....LOL....but it's nice to wanted anyways....

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Rastak,

I apologize. After re-reading my post, I realize that it sounded pretty harsh. I think comparing Jennings to Harrison is a far fetched. I will say that from what I've seen of Jennings and Carter, I also think that is far fetched. I've seen as much from the scrimmage and preseason games to think Carter is more like a Ruvell Martin. They both flash a little potential, but I don't see them turning into solid starters in the league. You never know though. Jennings could turn into another Harrison, and Carter or Martin could turn into solid starters.

Rastak
08-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Rastak,

I apologize. After re-reading my post, I realize that it sounded pretty harsh. I think comparing Jennings to Harrison is a far fetched. I will say that from what I've seen of Jennings and Carter, I also think that is far fetched. I've seen as much from the scrimmage and preseason games to think Carter is more like a Ruvell Martin. They both flash a little potential, but I don't see them turning into solid starters in the league. You never know though. Jennings could turn into another Harrison, and Carter or Martin could turn into solid starters.

NP.....I think Jennings is by far the better prospect, and that wasn't my point. I'm not 100% sure Carter will even make the the team but he should.
I like Carter's potential to be a starter in the league, which would be against the odds. Anyway, way to early to be comparing rookies to HOLers.

run pMc
08-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Comparing a rookie in preseason to a future HOF'er is absurd.
Let's not set the expectations to an unrealistic level.

If he's as good as Brooks or Freeman, I'll take that smiling. Getting more than that is unlikely.

Our WR cupboard is pretty bare and TT made a good pick.
(must...resist...comments...about...Sherman)
Should be fun watching this kid develop.

prsnfoto
08-28-2006, 11:48 AM

How can he not start ?

B

It's like this:

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/aug06/gj825.jpg

Brett Favre is gettig really comfortable with Greg Jennings...a large step up for a young WR, to have his QB's confidence /approval.

GO PACKERS ! FAITH in 2006 !!

I like the picture but it shows Mr. jennings is not a pubic hair under six feet or else holy shit Brett's having a growth spurt hes 6'3 going on 6'4

RashanGary
08-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Our WR cupboard is pretty bare and TT made a good pick.
(must...resist...comments...about...Sherman)
Should be fun watching this kid develop.

LMAO...

Every time I look at the Packers roster I want rip Mike Shermans head off and piss in his neck.

lod01
08-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm ready for a healthy dose of GREG JENNINGS tonight.