PDA

View Full Version : QBs available

call_me_ishmael
11-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Who is the best QB available?

If Rodgers is out for awhile, I have to think they sign a starter in order to try and keep up with the jones. The window is too short to risk missing the playoffs.

red
11-04-2013, 11:45 PM
flynn

Joemailman
11-04-2013, 11:46 PM
No love for Tolzien from Badger fans?

digitaldean
11-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Right now Flynn is the most likely option. But if the swinging gate known as Newhouse is on that line it won't matter who is QB. Same goes for the D. If they tackle like tonight, it won't matter. If he clears waivers, which he very well could, I'd sign him up.

domey
11-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Farvre (hehehe)

Pugger
11-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Wallace. Give him a week of reps and he, along with our running game, can be good enough to beat Philly at Lambeau. I don't want Gramps (Favre) and something is wrong with Flynn if he can't win a backup job in Oakland or Buffalo.

Guiness
11-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Wallace. Give him a week of reps and he, along with our running game, can be good enough to beat Philly at Lambeau. I don't want Gramps (Favre) and something is wrong with Flynn if he can't win a backup job in Oakland or Buffalo.

Agreed that Wallace may still be the answer. He was thrown in last night, seemingly without much prep. It was especially obvious during the 2 minute drill at the end of the game when he couldn't even seem to get the ball off. A week of work with the 1's may make a lot of difference.

I also doubt Flynn is in the cards. Seems obvious there is something wrong there.

Pugger
11-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Agreed that Wallace may still be the answer. He was thrown in last night, seemingly without much prep. It was especially obvious during the 2 minute drill at the end of the game when he couldn't even seem to get the ball off. A week of work with the 1's may make a lot of difference.

I also doubt Flynn is in the cards. Seems obvious there is something wrong there.

We have to remember the line's play went south once Lang got a concussion. Barclay then moved to RG and NEWHOUSE was in RT and he was atrocious. Right about now I'd take my chances with Sherrod at RT if Lang is out next week. :?

Patler
11-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Some insight into the challenge Seneca Wallace faced coming into the game:

This past week, Wallace didn't get reps with the first team. Thus, he says, "You just go out and play." So the no-huddle, fast-break game plan was dulled. Coach Mike McCarthy searched for ways to keep Wallace's head above water — through a reliance on Eddie Lacy, an onside kick, safe pass routes. But on Monday, one team had a clear, decisive plan at backup quarterback. And one did not.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/seneca-wallace-has-some-struggles-b99135316z1-230610251.html#ixzz2jmJeQRxi
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter

Did MM fail to adequately prepare his backup QB?
Are the practice limitations in the latest CBA so restrictive that there are not enough reps available to prepare a backup QB during the season?
Signing as late as he did, was it even possible to get Wallace prepared to enter a game he didn't come to as the starter?

Pugger
11-05-2013, 08:32 AM

Are the practice limitations in the latest CBA so restrictive that there are not enough reps available to prepare a backup QB during the season?
Signing as late as he did, was it even possible to get Wallace prepared to enter a game he didn't come to as the starter?

From what I'm hearing the backup QB doesn't get a lot of reps during the week so this isn't unusual. McCown did well because this was his second game starting and they had 2 weeks to prepare.

Cheesehead Craig
11-05-2013, 08:38 AM
The Bears backup QB has had a lot more time to be ready and get comfortable in the offense than Wallace did. To say the Bears had a better plan than GB is a bit disingenuous.

Tony Oday
11-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Only can bring in a QB that has been in our system. Flynn, Harrell, VY or Coleman otherwise it will be like Freeman for the Vikes.

pbmax
11-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Missing most of camp is the big difference between Wallace and McCown this year. That and the fact that McCown is one week further into his prep as a starter.

However, McCown played better last week versus Wash than Wallace did last night. Packers were bit by something they knew could happen.

I don't think the CBA comes into play here unless you want to talk roster size and the number of drills you can run. Hitting and pads don't help Wallace, though. Total practice hours and reps are the determining factor for them.

Wallace is also a very different QB than Rodgers. Needs different game plan. Coach and front office bear some responsibility here but let's not kid ourselves, Flynn has struggled in similar situations before. He wasn't lights out versus the Lions when Rodgers had a concussion. But with a week's prep, he was very good versus the Patriots and the end of season game versus the Lions. Maybe that happens with Wallace.

Zool
11-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Wallace has the arm strength of a HS JV QB. Did he throw a tight spiral at all last night? Duck hunters were running out of the stands with shotguns every time he threw the ball. He is bad and he should feel bad.

pbmax
11-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Wallace has the arm strength of a HS JV QB. Did he throw a tight spiral at all last night? Duck hunters were running out of the stands with shotguns every time he threw the ball. He is bad and he should feel bad.

Yep. He would be well served by either a functional TE or Randall Cobb.

KYPack
11-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Wallace should have gotten reps prior to this game. Both the Cleve and Wash games had garbage time in them and ARod was out there. Wallace could have at least had game reps and tried to develop some rhythm.

Det also had some time where it was out of reach, but how much can that short amount of reps really do anybody.

The Minn game LOOKED like it was a blow-out, but we needed ARod in there to keep things in line.

One way or the other, last night shouldn't have been Wallace's first game snaps.

bobblehead
11-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Agree. If there was a better option than Wallace don't you think he would be on the roster? If not, TT and MM are fools.

Although I can't think of a better way to mend fences than to bring back Burt for a few games. It'll never happen though.

bobblehead
11-05-2013, 09:39 AM
PS...this was my worst nightmare in preseason when I started the me and wist thread. Our OL is abysmal. We survived this long because they are scrappy run blockers, but we have no RT to speak of and our LT isn't all that either. He may be a really good RT in the future though.

NewsBruin
11-05-2013, 09:43 AM
"Hey, AJ, it's Brady. Could you put in a good word for me?"

Our best QB option? Cobb Once His Leg Heals.

Freak Out
11-05-2013, 09:49 AM
OK Wisco....why not Tolzien? Is his arm as weak as Wallace? Looks like Tolzien had a hell of a senior year.

Freak Out
11-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Wallace has the experience but does Tolziens talent make up for his lack of experience?

Rutnstrut
11-05-2013, 09:54 AM
" If not, TT and MM are fools."

You nailed it right there, how else do you explain putting such a shitty O-line on the field to protect your pro bowl QB that you have no viable back up for?

pbmax
11-05-2013, 09:56 AM
His arm is probably stronger than Wallace. Not too athletic on the hoof but can move in pocket.

Have seen zero plays of him in pros so not certain how he translates. Impression of Packers impression of him is that he needs the weight room and a year in M3 QB school.

pbmax
11-05-2013, 09:56 AM
" If not, TT and MM are fools."

You nailed it right there, how else do you explain putting such a shitty O-line on the field to protect your pro bowl QB that you have no viable back up for?

Injuries to two starting lineman.

Guiness
11-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Wallace should have gotten reps prior to this game. Both the Cleve and Wash games had garbage time in them and ARod was out there. Wallace could have at least had game reps and tried to develop some rhythm.

Det also had some time where it was out of reach, but how much can that short amount of reps really do anybody.

The Minn game LOOKED like it was a blow-out, but we needed ARod in there to keep things in line.

One way or the other, last night shouldn't have been Wallace's first game snaps.

This is something that makes me absolutely crazy. Why don't backup QBs get put in the game in the 4th quarter? There have certainly been a couple of times they could've done that this year.

Obviously, I'm not elated with Wallace's performance, but one thing that made me damn happy was that he was at least able to manage the run game and keep it working, instead of botching the first hand off and causing a fumble a la Graham Harrell! If Wallace had been in games late, at least we would've been confident of that.

mmmdk
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
More than 20 years with virtually no injuries to our 2 starting QBs has left Packers spoiled. Actually, Packers have had ok and even good backups during those years...yet this year Packers failed to get a quality backup QB and maybe went "Oh well" but that will bite us in the ass this season.

Reps will help Wallace but c'mon...Senaca Wallace!? Iggles licking their chops!

pbmax
11-05-2013, 10:33 AM
I am more worried about the Defense versus the Eagles O than the Offense versus the Eagles D.

Bossman641
11-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I am more worried about the Defense versus the Eagles O than the Offense versus the Eagles D.

Yep. After that shoddy tackling last McCoy has to be licking his chops

pbmax
11-05-2013, 11:00 AM
I think we have learned the Packer defense cannot man on man defend large receivers. Certainly not three of them.

denverYooper
11-05-2013, 11:07 AM
When the days become as dark as night
And the world begins to change
There are those of you who’ll die of fright
Or tear your eyes out from the pain
Your gilded houses will give no shelter
When the heavens fall
Your sacred tomes will give no answers
When the masters call

Forgotten ages are unknown to man
Before we crawled out from our caves
Exalted patrons of earthly clans
Elevation of their slaves
Your gilded houses will give no shelter
When the heavens fall
Your sacred tomes will give no answers
When the masters call

Look at yourselves
Look at your world
What have you done?
What have you become?

Look at yourselves
Look at your world
What have you done?
What shall you become?

Badgerinmaine
11-05-2013, 11:25 AM
This is something that makes me absolutely crazy. Why don't backup QBs get put in the game in the 4th quarter? There have certainly been a couple of times they could've done that this year.

Obviously, I'm not elated with Wallace's performance, but one thing that made me damn happy was that he was at least able to manage the run game and keep it working, instead of botching the first hand off and causing a fumble a la Graham Harrell! If Wallace had been in games late, at least we would've been confident of that.

I totally agree, and this has been the case for several years now.

Badgerinmaine
11-05-2013, 11:26 AM
From what I'm hearing the backup QB doesn't get a lot of reps during the week so this isn't unusual. McCown did well because this was his second game starting and they had 2 weeks to prepare.
That's exactly what Wayne Larrivee said after the game last night.

pbmax
11-05-2013, 11:26 AM
I will become Craig Nall.

Freak Out
11-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Can Wallace run the pistol? :) There is NO reason the Packers cannot win the next couple of games IF M3 and Wallace manage the game well, AND the D does not morph into the Raiders D. Mix Lacy and Starks a bit more. I just don't like short QBs like Wallace.......

Badgerinmaine
11-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Back to the original thread. Brady Quinn recently signed with the Rams after Sam Bradford got hurt. If you are looking for someone who is a veteran and not on the roster now, your choices besides Matt Flynn could include Tyler Thigpen, David Carr, Byron Leftwich and Trent Edwards.
Ehhh, I think I'd take Wallace.

Freak Out
11-05-2013, 11:35 AM
No to any of the above at this point...even Flynn.

Tony Oday
11-05-2013, 11:36 AM
When are waivers done this week?

We can cover big WR one on one but not when we play 15 yard cushions in a crappy zone and we didnt get to Mcowen last night. Peppers didnt get to the QB but got in the air!

The defense needs some bodies back.

We had Gram Harrell and BJ Coleman that were supposed to be through QB school but we see they sucked so had to start over. Still not terrible back ups in GB most of the time.

woodbuck27
11-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Seneca Wallace has been with the team through 9 weeks of this NFL season (signed on Sept. 02, 2013 as the teams primary back-up QB).

I'm scratching my head over the following:

a) What's the scoop on the back-up QB not being able to get any reps with the teams offense in practise through nine weeks of this NFL schedule?

Now, taking that away.

b) Seneca Wallace is small for an NFL QB ( 5' - 11 " and 205 lbs).

c) His QB rating last night Vs the Bears was 53.4. His career QB rating (80.6) since 2003 and with 'only' 21 career starts and a career completion Pct. of 59.1 (4808 career yards passing) and 31 TD's - 19 Picks.

He won less than a third of those 21 starts.

Final analysis:

His success as a starting QB in the NFL could be judged most fairly as poor. I have strong doubt that he is the Green Bay Packer answer at back-up QB. I'm not into miracle thinking even though our schedule is soft over the next three (3) weeks with games Vs The Eagles, @ Giants and Vikings.

woodbuck27
11-05-2013, 12:00 PM

KYPack and Guiness ... YES !

I see no logical reason not to have your back-up QB ready and confident to be a logically competent back-up when needed. No teams coaching staff can reasonably measure that as a fact, if the back-up gets zero too little reps with that teams best offense.

Badgerinmaine
11-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Seneca Wallace has been with the team through 9 weeks of this NFL season (signed on Sept. 02, 2013 as the teams primary back-up QB).

I'm scratching my head over the following:

a) What's the scoop on the back-up QB not being able to get any reps with the teams offense in practise through nine weeks of this NFL schedule?

Now, taking that away.

b) Seneca Wallace is small for an NFL QB ( 5' - 11 " and 205 lbs).

c) His QB rating last night Vs the Bears was 53.4. His career QB rating (80.6) since 2003 and with 'only' 21 career starts and a career completion Pct. of 59.1 (4808 career yards passing) and 31 TD's - 19 Picks.

He won less than a third of those 21 starts.

Final analysis:

His success as a starting QB in the NFL could be judged most fairly as poor. I have strong doubt that he is the Green Bay Packer answer at back-up QB. I'm not into miracle thinking even though our schedule is soft over the next three (3) weeks with games Vs The Eagles, @ Giants and Vikings.

A lot of those games where Wallace was a starter were with some truly dreadful Browns teams. Nobody could have won much there>
As for Flynn--I heard this same thing after the Raiders let him go, but the Packers reportedly think Flynn's elbow is bothering him: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/8/4816078/packers-matt-flynn-injury-concern (http://http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/8/4816078/packers-matt-flynn-injury-concern)

run pMc
11-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Agree that Wallace should be better with a full week of snaps and time for M3 et al. to install a plan on offense. The TE's (or Franklin) need to become his safety blankets. Defenses are going to load up and force Wallace to throw deep.

TT won't bring anyone in; they'll promote Tolzien as Wallace's backup and go with people familiar with the system. This isn't Minnesota -- we aren't throwing Josh Freeman out there.
Get well soon, Rodgers!

pittstang5
11-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Agree that Wallace should be better with a full week of snaps and time for M3 et al. to install a plan on offense. The TE's (or Franklin) need to become his safety blankets. Defenses are going to load up and force Wallace to throw deep.

TT won't bring anyone in; they'll promote Tolzien as Wallace's backup and go with people familiar with the system. This isn't Minnesota -- we aren't throwing Josh Freeman out there.
Get well soon, Rodgers!

With this o-line, especially now that Lang will probably have to sit out Sunday, I don't think any backup QB could be much better than Wallace.

Fritz
11-05-2013, 03:52 PM
With this o-line, especially now that Lang will probably have to sit out Sunday, I don't think any backup QB could be much better than Wallace.

I thought one of his strengths was supposed to be moving around and avoiding pressure; instead, Wallace often went back...and back....and back....then moved sideways, then got sacked.

If he doesn't play better next Sunday I'm going to stop calling him Seneca Wallace and start calling him Genital Wallace.

pbmax
11-05-2013, 03:54 PM
I thought one of his strengths was supposed to be moving around and avoiding pressure; instead, Wallace often went back...and back....and back....then moved sideways, then got sacked.

If he doesn't play better next Sunday I'm going to stop calling him Seneca Wallace and start calling him Genital Wallace.

The tackle situation wasn't helping him any either. Peppers smelled blood in the water and had his best game of the season. Wallace has got to step up into the pocket if he doesn't have the wheels anymore to outrun a D lineman.

Freak Out
11-05-2013, 04:03 PM
I wonder if Tozien or whatever the fuck his name is will get any reps with the first team this week?

Patler
11-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I wonder if Tozien or whatever the fuck his name is will get any reps with the first team this week?

I doubt it very much. It's a short week and the first priority has to be getting Wallace ready.

Harlan Huckleby
11-05-2013, 08:17 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/05/matt-flynn-clears-waivers/

Flynn cleared waivers, Packers didn't make a claim. He is free agent, but it appears the Packers have no interest.

digitaldean
11-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Read in a couple other areas that the Packers were concerned with his elbow. Supposedly he has had problems on his throwing arm, specifically the elbow area. Thus, the reason they probably didn't grab him.

MadtownPacker
11-05-2013, 09:00 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/05/matt-flynn-clears-waivers/

Flynn cleared waivers, Packers didn't make a claim. He is free agent, but it appears the Packers have no interest.
You should change your name to Flynn.

Harlan Huckleby
11-05-2013, 09:23 PM
OK, I'll be Flynn, you'll be Incognito.

If the shoe fits.....

MadtownPacker
11-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Well unlike Martin we know you are a joto. You want to stare at the Devil bitch?

Harlan Huckleby
11-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Not sure who "we" is, but bet they don't know what "joto" means.

I've led a good life, not afraid of any devil, not you, not lucifer, not Scott Campbell. I look forward to the 72 virgins that await me in the afterlife.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Has Tolzien even been promoted yet? I think they give him a look.

"Tolzien, after being named a finalist for the 2010 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award along with Andy Dalton of TCU, Colin Kaepernick of Nevada, Christian Ponder of Florida State and Ricky Stanzi of Iowa,[1] won the award.[2] Tolzien smashed the Wisconsin record for completion percentage in a season in his remarkable 2010 season, completing 74.3% of his passes in 12 regular season games. Tolzien ranked 4th nationally in passer rating, and led the nation in completion percentage.

After a disappointing effort against Michigan State in which the Badger receiving corps dropped several passes, Tolzien would improve week after week as the Badgers won their next 7 games to finish the year 11-1. Against a top 5 Ohio State defense, Tolzien completed 13 of 16 passes. His efforts led the Badgers to an eventual upset of then top-ranked Ohio State. The next week against Iowa, Tolzien again had a solid game, completing 20 passes on 26 attempts for 205 yards and a touchdown. Most impressively, Tolzien led the Badgers down the field for the game-winning touchdown with Wisconsin's running game stifled by Iowa's defense. In his final home start, against the Northwestern Wildcats, Tolzien was nearly flawless, completing 15 passes on 19 attempts for 230 yards with four touchdown passes.

Tolzien made his final collegiate start at Wisconsin in the 2011 Rose Bowl against one of the top defenses in the nation, TCU. Tolzien finished the game with 12 completions out of 21 attempts for 159 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions and a rating of 120.7 for the game."

George Cumby
11-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Look.

New guy.

Welcome.

Don't let Skin near your household pets. They will either be served for dinner or used for other......purposes.

Zool
11-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Well hell, if they are imitating the UW RB's touchdown celebration, might as well get the old QB in there as well. Maybe Russel Wilson will see the reunion happening and jump ship from Sea to GB.

woodbuck27
11-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Has Tolzien even been promoted yet? I think they give him a look.

"Tolzien, after being named a finalist for the 2010 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award along with Andy Dalton of TCU, Colin Kaepernick of Nevada, Christian Ponder of Florida State and Ricky Stanzi of Iowa,[1] won the award.[2] Tolzien smashed the Wisconsin record for completion percentage in a season in his remarkable 2010 season, completing 74.3% of his passes in 12 regular season games. Tolzien ranked 4th nationally in passer rating, and led the nation in completion percentage.

After a disappointing effort against Michigan State in which the Badger receiving corps dropped several passes, Tolzien would improve week after week as the Badgers won their next 7 games to finish the year 11-1. Against a top 5 Ohio State defense, Tolzien completed 13 of 16 passes. His efforts led the Badgers to an eventual upset of then top-ranked Ohio State. The next week against Iowa, Tolzien again had a solid game, completing 20 passes on 26 attempts for 205 yards and a touchdown. Most impressively, Tolzien led the Badgers down the field for the game-winning touchdown with Wisconsin's running game stifled by Iowa's defense. In his final home start, against the Northwestern Wildcats, Tolzien was nearly flawless, completing 15 passes on 19 attempts for 230 yards with four touchdown passes.

Tolzien made his final collegiate start at Wisconsin in the 2011 Rose Bowl against one of the top defenses in the nation, TCU. Tolzien finished the game with 12 completions out of 21 attempts for 159 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions and a rating of 120.7 for the game."

Hello ' oldbutnotdeadyet ' your first post above.

WELCOME to Packerrats.

GO PACK GO !

pbmax
11-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Tolzien has not been added to the roster. I think Patler hit on this earlier in the season, but Tolzien would have to be put through waivers if the Packer activate him and then wish to put him back on the PS after Rodgers returns. Given that one other team tried to get him to the practice squad and the Browns tried to sign him to their 53, its possible he doesn't make it through waivers.

I think there is also tryouts to consider. If the Packers decide not to risk moving Tozien, they might want to have players in for a workout. The normal day for that is Tuesday, but with a Monday game, not sure if they would stick to that schedule or not. A workout and physical would be important for Flynn because the rumor is he has an elbow injury that is affecting his throwing.

SkinBasket
11-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Don't let Skin near your household pets. They will either be served for dinner or used for other......purposes.

Jesus, I haven't done that like in three years. Buy a new turtle and get over it already.

George Cumby
11-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Jesus, I haven't done that like in three years. Buy a new turtle and get over it already.

:lol:

Joemailman
11-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Tolzien has not been added to the roster. I think Patler hit on this earlier in the season, but Tolzien would have to be put through waivers if the Packer activate him and then wish to put him back on the PS after Rodgers returns. Given that one other team tried to get him to the practice squad and the Browns tried to sign him to their 53, its possible he doesn't make it through waivers.

I think there is also tryouts to consider. If the Packers decide not to risk moving Tozien, they might want to have players in for a workout. The normal day for that is Tuesday, but with a Monday game, not sure if they would stick to that schedule or not. A workout and physical would be important for Flynn because the rumor is he has an elbow injury that is affecting his throwing.

I think we'd be hearing about tryouts by now if they were going to happen. I think they activate Tolzien. If they like what they see in Tolzien the next few weeks, they could release Wallace if they don't want to carry 3 QB's the rest of the year. After Rodgers' concussion in 2010 though, they did carry 3 QB's the rest of the year.

woodbuck27
11-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Can't find it now but some member asked who was the back-up to S. Wallace after AR went down Monday night.

Vic Ketchman was asked the same question in his latest chat and his response was as someone else here said...Jordy Nelson.

I noticed that Jordy Nelson had a lot of sideline contact with MM as that game went on.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-06-2013, 12:31 PM
I hope so, as Taco just does not do anything for me (or the packers so far for that matter). Hopefully I am wrong, and he lights up the Eagles, I just don't see it based on the last game. I believe we are well overdue for a 'where the hell did he come from' guy and maybe Tolzien is the guy.

woodbuck27
11-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I hope so, as Taco just does not do anything for me (or the packers so far for that matter). Hopefully I am wrong, and he lights up the Eagles, I just don't see it based on the last game. I believe we are well overdue for a 'where the hell did he come from' guy and maybe Tolzien is the guy.

Taco is really short at 5'- 11 " to be an effective NFL QB. Reference the manner in which Julius Peppers handled his passing. Taco has to jump sometimes to pass the ball and this is football not basketball.

Patler
11-06-2013, 01:50 PM

There is another aspect to this. Tolzien is a third year player. As such he can remain on the PS only so long as the regular roster is "full" at 53. I don't know if that means each and every day, or as of game day, or maybe as of another day of the week. Yesterday, the transaction wire listed Barrington and Finley being moved to IR and Sherrod being activated from PUP. That leaves them at 52.

red
11-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Taco is really short at 5'- 11 " to be an effective NFL QB. Reference the manner in which Julius Peppers handled his passing. Taco has to jump sometimes to pass the ball and this is football not basketball.

and his throwing style makes him even shorter. his release point is probably around 5'8 or so off the ground. pretty easy for a 6'3 D lineman to knock down

Teamcheez1
11-06-2013, 02:05 PM
and his throwing style makes him even shorter. his release point is probably around 5'8 or so off the ground. pretty easy for a 6'3 D lineman to knock down

This shouldn't be a problem according to everyone on this forum who raves about Russel Wilson as the second coming of Christ.

red
11-06-2013, 02:12 PM
This shouldn't be a problem according to everyone on this forum who raves about Russel Wilson as the second coming of Christ.

russel wilson doesn't throw side armed. a 5'11 qb with a normal release like russell probably has a release point around 6' or 6'2.

big difference

red
11-06-2013, 02:32 PM
huh, now if this guy shows up to play we might be ok. i see a higher release then what i noticed on monday and it seems like a lot more zip on the ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Elsegn4Zw

woodbuck27
11-06-2013, 02:55 PM

I noticed his bad throwing mechanics and low release point as well and that doesn`t get changed fast.

Having posted that I`ll add that Seneca Wallace is going up against the worst pass defense in the NFL in the Philadelphia Eagles. Then I come back to his arm strength and mechanics.

This upcoming game is in all reality for the bettor, a toss up or `pickem.

red
11-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Tolzien has finally been moved up officially

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/06/packers-make-scott-tolzien-move-official/

woodbuck27
11-06-2013, 03:46 PM
I realize that TRADING in the NFL isn`t anything as prominent as we observe in other Pro sports.

Has anyone wondered if TT might try to make a trade with the Houston Texans for Matt Schaub?

From what it appears now in that organization Schaub is now benched for the remainder of this season as the team has elected to go with Case Keenum .

Note below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schaub#2013_season

Despite recovering from an injured ankle, Schaub was benched in week 7 in favor of who threw touchdown passes instead of interceptions. Case Keenum is expected to be the Texan's started for the remainder of the season.

Cheesehead Craig
11-06-2013, 03:49 PM
I realize that TRADING in the NFL isn`t anything as prominent as we observe in other Pro sports.

Has anyone wondered if TT might try to make a trade with the Houston Texans for Matt Schaub. From what it appears now in that organization Schaub is now benched for the remainder of this season as the team has elected to go with Case Keenum .

Note below:

Despite recovering from an injured ankle, Schaub was benched in week 7 in favor of who threw touchdown passes instead of interceptions. Case Keenum is expected to be the Texan's started for the remainder of the season.

Trade deadline has passed. We have what we have at this point.

Patler
11-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Has anyone wondered if TT might try to make a trade with the Houston Texans for Matt Schaub. From what it appears now in that organization Schaub is now benched for the remainder of this season as the team has elected to go with Case Keenum .

Note below:

I absolutely guarantee he will not attempt any trade! (The trade deadline passed a couple weeks ago! :grin:)

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-06-2013, 04:13 PM
I wonder if Tolzien will touch the football this week just in case Taco falls on his face again?

billy_oliver880
11-06-2013, 04:31 PM
huh, now if this guy shows up to play we might be ok. i see a higher release then what i noticed on monday and it seems like a lot more zip on the ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Elsegn4Zw

He doesn't go through his progressions a whole hell of a lot. Usually if it isn't there on the first reciever he gives up and runs.

woodbuck27
11-06-2013, 05:09 PM
I absolutely guarantee he will not attempt any trade! (The trade deadline passed a couple weeks ago! :grin:)

I wasn`t aware of that.

Thanks.

Patler
11-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I wasn`t aware of that.

Thanks.

That's what you get for going on vacation during the season!! :lol:

Carolina_Packer
11-06-2013, 06:59 PM
The most obvious thing to do from outside looking in would have been to re-sign Matt Flynn. For some reason that did not happen. It makes me wonder why. I saw someone suggest that he had an injury. They are obviously satisfied enough with Tolzien to not do what seems obvious. I know he's had a rough go of it since he ventured into free agency, but he still knows our offense and MM and quite a few of the players, so I think he would have a good comfort level. Ah well, they surely know better.

digitaldean
11-06-2013, 07:52 PM
The most obvious thing to do from outside looking in would have been to re-sign Matt Flynn. For some reason that did not happen. It makes me wonder why. I saw someone suggest that he had an injury. They are obviously satisfied enough with Tolzien to not do what seems obvious. I know he's had a rough go of it since he ventured into free agency, but he still knows our offense and MM and quite a few of the players, so I think he would have a good comfort level. Ah well, they surely know better.

Was reported ny someone on NFLN that Packers were concerned about Flynns elbow on throwing arm. He has been battling with it a lot recently. So they didn't want to gamble on it.

Also says a lot (negatively) about Vince Young. He must have really PO'd MM if he didn't get brought back either.

Guiness
11-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Was reported ny someone on NFLN that Packers were concerned about Flynns elbow on throwing arm. He has been battling with it a lot recently. So they didn't want to gamble on it.

Also says a lot (negatively) about Vince Young. He must have really PO'd MM if he didn't get brought back either.

PO'd MM? Was there some friction I didn't hear about? I'd think VY should've been pretty humble by the time he got to GB, certainly know enough not to cross the coach.

I assumed he was released because they decided he wasn't a viable QB, and wasn't called back for the same reason.

Pugger
11-06-2013, 08:22 PM
I too read reports about Matt's arm/elbow. I saw a list of QBs available out there and the pickings were slim to say the least. :-? We just gotta hope Wallace, Lacy and our defense can play .500 ball until Rodgers returns.

Pugger
11-06-2013, 08:24 PM
PO'd MM? Was there some friction I didn't hear about? I'd think VY should've been pretty humble by the time he got to GB, certainly know enough not to cross the coach.

I assumed he was released because they decided he wasn't a viable QB, and wasn't called back for the same reason.

I never heard a disparaging word about VY. Vince's problem is he isn't the sharpest tool in the knife drawer and has trouble learning playbooks.

pbmax
11-06-2013, 10:05 PM
The only thing Vince did to M3 was stink in his last two preseason games.

woodbuck27
11-06-2013, 10:15 PM
That's what you get for going on vacation during the season!! :lol:

Catching up is hard to do. :-)

NewsBruin
11-06-2013, 10:30 PM
If it comes down to Wallace or Tolzien, unless Wallace sets the world on fire, the Pack will likely just waive Wallace and keep Tolzien as the apprentice QB.

Pugger
11-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Wallace's salary is guaranteed so unless he really stinks I think he'll still be around once Rodgers returns. I think in 4-6 weeks we'll still have 3 QBs on the active roster.

woodbuck27
11-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Wallace's salary is guaranteed so unless he really stinks I think he'll still be around once Rodgers returns. I think in 4-6 weeks we'll still have 3 QBs on the active roster.

When AR returns it will be impertinent to return to 2 QB's on the active roster.