PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: vs. Bears Aftermath

pbmax
11-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Well, we will soon know whether having a cagey old vet as the backup will pay dividends. Wallace was in a touch spot last night, but with a week to prepare, he has to deliver.

I wonder what BJ Coleman is doing?

LEWCWA
11-05-2013, 01:22 PM
How anybody can call Wallace a cagey old vet is beyond me. Yes he is old, but he has never been more than a backup with limited skills. Now he can't run, so he is just about useless.

Rutnstrut
11-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Cagey old vet? Who did they sign?

pbmax
11-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m
The #Packers are promoting QB Scott Tolzien to the 53-man roster, per source. Just gave him a raise on practice squad last week.

Noodle
11-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Ladies and gents, the future of our season rides on the broad shoulders of this stud:

http://media.jrn.com/images/620wtmj_packersrostertolzien.jpg

Good lord.

pbmax
11-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Well, he has a beard like a Packers QB.

pittstang5
11-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Who did they release?

denverYooper
11-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Who did they release?

This.

They'll have to make a roster move, yes?

Finley to IR?

MadScientist
11-05-2013, 05:13 PM
This.

They'll have to make a roster move, yes?

Finley to IR?
Yep, along with Barrington. Sherrod also activated, so maybe we won't see Marshmallow again.

red
11-05-2013, 05:42 PM
newhouse should lose his roster spot out of last night. guy can't even be a worthy backup

pbmax
11-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Finley on IR, Sherrod to active roster. With Tolzien promoted to roster, I think they are still a spot short.

I immediately expect Sherrod to help all Special Teams :)

Patler
11-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Finley on IR, Sherrod to active roster. With Tolzien promoted to roster, I think they are still a spot short.

I immediately expect Sherrod to help all Special Teams :)

Barrington to IR too.

pbmax
11-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Barrington to IR.

EDIT: Patler got there first.

pbmax
11-05-2013, 06:42 PM
It does NOT appear that Tolzien is on the roster now according to M3's presser. He said two to IR, Sherrod activated. No mention of the 2nd QB.

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 1h
MM: Feel good about where Mulumba is after injury. Matthews is going to try to go in practice as far as wearing club.

James Jones came through game unscathed.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
MM on Sherrod: Put plan in place today. Will take reps on both sides this week. "He needs padded work" but team won't be in pads this week.

Noodle
11-05-2013, 06:49 PM
EDIT: Patler got there first.

Patler is the reincarnation of N.B. Forrest? Makes sense.

KYPack
11-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Patler is the reincarnation of N.B. Forrest? Makes sense.

With the mostest.

Any word on Lang's head?

We need him back at guard bad.

Barclay is a c student at RT, but he just has problems at RG.

In pass pro, he tries to block like he does at tackle.

He gave up that late sack.

Marshmello?

Off the field, please.

Noodle
11-05-2013, 09:12 PM
KY -- exactly (I figured an old-timer from a border state would get the reference).

What do you mean by saying Barclay blocks like a tackle when he plays RG? I didn't play past high school, and we weren't particularly sophisticated, so I'm not familiar with the distinction you're talking about. Do tackles retreat and use space more than guards are supposed to?

KYPack
11-05-2013, 10:15 PM
KY -- exactly (I figured an old-timer from a border state would get the reference).

What do you mean by saying Barclay blocks like a tackle when he plays RG? I didn't play past high school, and we weren't particularly sophisticated, so I'm not familiar with the distinction you're talking about. Do tackles retreat and use space more than guards are supposed to?

OT's first move is to stop the inside rush (Protect the "gate") so the DE can't get a quick, direct route to the passer. Then, he has to read whether his opponent is going to bull rush or go wide in an edge rush. If it's a bull rush, you stop him, go to war and don't let him get the advantage. On an edge rush, you must quickly get in front of the pass rusher with a slide or kick step. See Chad Clifton tape for an idea of how to quickly slide in front of the DE or OLB.

At guard, it less of a chess match and more of a fist fight. There is no edge rush or wide open spaces. Mostly, an OG is better off hitting first and stymieing his opposite number. Josh Sitton is really good at attacking and hand fighting rushing DT's and NG's.

Barclay got all fucked up. He wasn't being aggressive, used his OT mechanics when he was playing guard and got whipped a couple times. He must fire out a lot at OG, different mechanics than RT.

I think Barclay is a fair hand, but I doubt he can be used all up and down the OLine like MM seems to want to do.

Doesn't look like Lang will play Sunday, so Barclay must get his head straight and learn the game plan. With Marshmello beside him, he's on his own.

Guiness
11-06-2013, 09:32 AM
What's the overall report on Hayward?

I heard his name a couple of times, in a bad way, on Monday night. I think he was in coverage on Marshall for at least a few of his completions.

pbmax
11-06-2013, 09:34 AM
What's the overall report on Hayward?

I heard his name a couple of times, in a bad way, on Monday night. I think he was in coverage on Marshall for at least a few of his completions.

Coverage loose, tackling poor.

House's coverage was better but he did not break up any balls.

Shields was the only one to have a decent game and even he managed to miss a tackle.

Noodle
11-06-2013, 09:47 AM
KY -- many thanks for the tutorial, that helped a lot.

Patler
11-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Shields was the only one to have a decent game and even he managed to miss a tackle.

...or three.

Six missed tackles (three by Sam Shields, two by Morgan Burnett, one by Casey Hayward) and no takeaways marked a forgettable performance.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bears-b99135665z1-230772811.html#ixzz2jsgWQAYt
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter

Guiness
11-06-2013, 09:51 AM
KY -- many thanks for the tutorial, that helped a lot.

Agreed. I have an idea of the principals but KY did a good job laying it out.

The other analogy I've heard is that playing OG is like standing at the door of a phone booth trying to stop someone from getting out. Of course, try to explain that to a high school kid now and he'll say 'What's a phone booth?'

Guiness
11-06-2013, 10:00 AM
...or three.

quite. Shields is the one I remember seeing lying on the field watching someone run by him the most, which is too bad because he seemed to be a sure tackler so far this year.

Who allowed the completion when the Bears were backed up on their 1yd line? I remember Marshall catching it, that was ridiculously frustrating.

KYPack
11-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Agreed. I have an idea of the principals but KY did a good job laying it out.

The other analogy I've heard is that playing OG is like standing at the door of a phone booth trying to stop someone from getting out. Of course, try to explain that to a high school kid now and he'll say 'What's a phone booth?'

Yeah, I've heard that phone booth analogy, too.

The big difference is space between the two positions. That and the type of athletes that the OT and OG face. All that room to the outside shoulder of an OT is the pass rushers playground. The tackle has to contain 'em before the pass rusher gets out there and turns the corner. The rushers that LT's face are the thorobreds of the league. Big, quick, fast and strong, these guys are the elite. It's a full time gig to contain those edge rushers and it requires brains, skill, & finesse to keep these guys contained.

At guard, it is the phone booth, all righty. The guard wants to first protect that inside lane, then hand fight the DT or NG. You must be aggressive. You can't do what Barclay did and forget what position you are playing. I know the guy was rattled, but he's got to do better than that shit against the Eagles. I imagine he'll be getting help and will keep his composure a lot better with a week to prepare.

Now who is gonna help our little Marshmello out there on there on the edge?

Patler
11-06-2013, 10:49 AM

I think Newhouse will rebound. Not that he will be more than he ever was at LT, he won't, but technique-wise he will rebound. On extended or slow-developing plays he will always be beaten on intensity, it's who he is. But with little activity the first 7 games he was just slow getting into game mode. I expect an "OK" performance along the lines of his last two seasons at LT.

woodbuck27
11-06-2013, 11:43 AM
OT's first move is to stop the inside rush (Protect the "gate") so the DE can't get a quick, direct route to the passer. Then, he has to read whether his opponent is going to bull rush or go wide in an edge rush. If it's a bull rush, you stop him, go to war and don't let him get the advantage. On an edge rush, you must quickly get in front of the pass rusher with a slide or kick step. See Chad Clifton tape for an idea of how to quickly slide in front of the DE or OLB.

At guard, it less of a chess match and more of a fist fight. There is no edge rush or wide open spaces. Mostly, an OG is better off hitting first and stymieing his opposite number. Josh Sitton is really good at attacking and hand fighting rushing DT's and NG's.

Barclay got all fucked up. He wasn't being aggressive, used his OT mechanics when he was playing guard and got whipped a couple times. He must fire out a lot at OG, different mechanics than RT.

I think Barclay is a fair hand, but I doubt he can be used all up and down the OLine like MM seems to want to do.

Doesn't look like Lang will play Sunday, so Barclay must get his head straight and learn the game plan. With Marshmello beside him, he's on his own.

Good explanation KY and THANKS.

Our football professor.

woodbuck27
11-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I've heard that phone booth analogy, too.

The big difference is space between the two positions. That and the type of athletes that the OT and OG face. All that room to the outside shoulder of an OT is the pass rushers playground. The tackle has to contain 'em before the pass rusher gets out there and turns the corner. The rushers that LT's face are the thorobreds of the league. Big, quick, fast and strong, these guys are the elite. It's a full time gig to contain those edge rushers and it requires brains, skill, & finesse to keep these guys contained.

At guard, it is the phone booth, all righty. The guard wants to first protect that inside lane, then hand fight the DT or NG. You must be aggressive. You can't do what Barclay did and forget what position you are playing. I know the guy was rattled, but he's got to do better than that shit against the Eagles. I imagine he'll be getting help and will keep his composure a lot better with a week to prepare.

LT ... 1. (Rookie) David Bakhtiari ( Doing very well as a Rookie)- 6. Marshall Newhouse (Not a fit at LT) - 8. Derek Sherrod ( Experience !)

LG ... 2. Josh Sitton (OK at LG) - 6. Lane Taylor (Experience on the OL !)

C ... 3. Evan Dietrich-Smith (OK at C) - 5. Don Barclay (experience at C !)

RG ... 4. T.J. Lang ( OUT with a concussion injury ) ... sub 5. Don Barclay (experience at RG !) - 7. Lane Taylor (see above)

RT ... 6. Marshall Newhouse ( Experience at RT ! ) - 8. Derek Sherrod (experience on the OL !)

I see a hole to fill on the right side of the OL with the injury to T. J. Lang. A real concern in run support and pass protection.

Overall I see a big concern in regards to OL roster players and experience across the line. Where would our OL be with a loss to either Bakhtiari or Sitton ?!

We have eleven players on the roster that cover 4 roster positions in our secondary.

Why does it seem to me that we are light on our OL?

Fritz
11-06-2013, 12:25 PM
LT ... 1. (Rookie) David Bakhtiari ( Doing very well as a Rookie)- 6. Marshall Newhouse (Not a fit at LT) - 8. Derek Sherrod ( Experience !)

LG ... 2. Josh Sitton (OK at LG) - 6. Lane Taylor (Experience on the OL !)

C ... 3. Evan Dietrich-Smith (OK at C) - 5. Don Barclay (experience at C !)

RG ... 4. T.J. Lang ( OUT with a concussion injury ) ... sub 5. Don Barclay (experience at RG !) - 7. Lane Taylor (see above)

RT ... 6. Marshall Newhouse ( Experience at RT ! ) - 8. Derek Sherrod (experience on the OL !)

I see a hole to fill on the right side of the OL with the injury to T. J. Lang. A real concern in run support and pass protection.

Overall I see a big concern in regards to OL roster players and experience across the line. Where would our OL be with a loss to either Bakhtiari or Sitton ?!

We have eleven players on the roster that cover 4 roster positions in our secondary.

Why does it seem to me that we are light on our OL?

Because the starting right tackle at the beginning of training camp is on IR.

Because your former #1 pick to play left tackle has not played for, what, almost two years?

Because this year's fourth round pick at center either has been or soon will be put on IR.

Because your primary back up at center is on IR.

Because your starting right guard just got his bell rung and missed half of the last game and will miss the next one, too.

That's why.

woodbuck27
11-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Because the starting right tackle at the beginning of training camp is on IR.

Because your former #1 pick to play left tackle has not played for, what, almost two years?

Because this year's fourth round pick at center either has been or soon will be put on IR.

Because your primary back up at center is on IR.

Because your starting right guard just got his bell rung and missed half of the last game and will miss the next one, too.

That's why.

Fritz I'm aware of all that.

I meant why are we light in terms of numbers of OLman and the overall roster spots allowed for the OL? In terms of that question as a Packer fan I'm concerned.

Fritz
11-06-2013, 12:36 PM
I think that the standard number on a roster is, what, eight or nine?

woodbuck27
11-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I think that the standard number on a roster is, what, eight or nine?

Reserve/Injured

58 Barrington, Sam LB 6-1 235 23 R South Florida

** 75 Bulaga, Bryan T 6-5 314 24 4 Iowa

13 Cunningham, Sederrik WR 5-11 192 24 R Furman

6 Dorsey, Kevin WR 6-1 207 23 R Maryland

88 Finley, Jermichael TE 6-5 247 26 6 Texas

49 Francois, Robert LB 6-2 250 28 4 Boston College

26 Harris, DuJuan RB 5-8 203 25 1 Troy

** 64 Van Roten, Greg G/C 6-3 303 23 2 Pennsylvania

OK and ** would add up to 9 and 10.

pbmax
11-06-2013, 04:29 PM
5 O lineman play the vast majority of snaps. Rarely six.

The DBs regularly field 5 but often 6.

The rest all play special teams. If you count Brent Goode as an O lineman like Bush is a DB, numbers are closer.