PDA

View Full Version : Packers to work out Matt Flynn

red
11-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Many of us were expecting the team to just sweep him up the minute A-rod went down, but the team didn't do it. It almost seemed like fate that a-rod would go down just days after Matt was released. there are rumors out there that flynn may have something wrong with his elbow

well, here he comes

looks like the pack are gonna bring him in and see first hand if his elbow is ok, if it is, then i would think they would sign him up

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/07/packers-plan-to-work-out-matt-flynn/

red
11-07-2013, 07:05 PM
from rotoworld

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Matt Flynn will work out for the Packers "at some point soon."

ESPN's Ed Werder reported as much on Wednesday. Werder added that the Pack would sign Flynn "if convinced he's healthy." How Seneca Wallace fares against the Eagles could factor into how aggressively the Packers go after their old No. 2 quarterback.

ESPN's Ed Werder expects the Packers to sign free agent Matt Flynn "if convinced he's healthy."

The Pack passed up a chance to claim Flynn on waivers, but that would have required taking on his (minimum) salary without getting a look at his recent medicals. ESPN Milwaukee reported Tuesday that Green Bay is concerned about Flynn's persistent elbow problems. Flynn had great success as a spot starter for Aaron Rodgers during his time in Green Bay, but has struggled since moving on. If healthy, however, he'd probably be a better bet than Seneca Wallace. Nov 5 - 6:50 PM
Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

CaptainKickass
11-07-2013, 07:12 PM
This could be...

A: an indication that Wallace isn't cutting the mustard in his time with the 1st team offense

B: an indication that Rodgers injury or timetable to recovery is more than what has been advertised

C: Both

I'm glad they're at least kicking the tires. I hope Flynn can still play well.

pittstang5
11-07-2013, 07:36 PM
A: an indication that Wallace isn't cutting the mustard in his time with the 1st team offense

- My initial fear when I read about this

Brandon494
11-07-2013, 07:51 PM
D. We need a backup QB now that our backup is the starter.

Joemailman
11-07-2013, 07:52 PM
D. We need a backup QB now that our backup is the starter.

Right. It's more likely they're worried about Tolzien than about Wallace.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Or maybe they are listenin to the rats, Flynn has played here before, prolly knows the offense better than both current qbs, and has actually looked good once upon a time. Seems like a no brainer to us old farts...

KYPack
11-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Oh God.

We are all starting to think alike.

First, I thought Wallace ain't cutting the mustard, then I figured it might be Tolzien not hacking it.

I also think if Matt doesn't light it up in the work-out, they'll stand pat.

woodbuck27
11-07-2013, 09:04 PM
I think this is a smart move and exploring all options is imperitive. It certainly doesn't hurt to give Matt Flynn that tryout and see if he's an upgrade over Taco.

I personally have little faith in what Seneca Wallace brings to the table in terms of being an effective passer. Opposing defenses will eat this little man up if he stays in the pocket.

We need more at QB than what was left after Aaron Rodgers.

GO PACKERS !

Packers4Glory
11-08-2013, 07:15 AM
If he's healthy he's a better option than Wallace. Not that our line is great at pass blocking but it's better than Oakland, and our weapons are a thousand times better. He fits here well and would be a backup I felt confident could get me a few wins if needed. Flynn when he did play, really looked like a Rodgers mini-me to my eyes. He played a lot like him.

denverYooper
11-08-2013, 08:03 AM
You can file this one under due diligence.

Pugger
11-08-2013, 08:05 AM
I find this rather curious. Why did they wait to look at Flynn until after they promoted Tolzien? Was Flynn released before Rodgers got hurt? Could they be looking at Matt as an insurance policy in case Wallace gets hurt or really stinks tomorrow?

Patler
11-08-2013, 08:15 AM
I find this rather curious. Why did they wait to look at Flynn until after they promoted Tolzien? Was Flynn released before Rodgers got hurt? Could they be looking at Matt as an insurance policy in case Wallace gets hurt or really stinks tomorrow?

I think that is exactly the reason for it. We shouldn't read too much into this. Flynn left GB looking like he was ready to take over as a starter somewhere. Three teams have dumped him since then. The Packers want to know why, and if he should even be a consideration if they have a need to sign another QB.

Patler
11-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Flynn cleared waivers on Tuesday. The Packers could have submitted a claim on Tuesday, or could have brought him in Wednesday or Thursday before elevating Tolzien. I think they waited intentionally, to show Wallace and Tolzien that they are committed to them. However, they do have to have a backup plan as well. If Wallace or Tolzien were to get injured, they need to know who to bring in on short notice.

run pMc
11-08-2013, 08:27 AM
You can file this one under due diligence.

Yup. Wallace is short and old and if he gets hurt or sucks against PHI then all that's left is Tolzein, and nobody's seen him play when the games count. Bringing Flynn in for a looksee is a smart contingency plan and doesn't cost them anything. If he looks good they'll keep him on speed dial and since he's cleared waivers he'd probably sign cheap.

Brandon494
11-08-2013, 08:59 AM
If he's healthy he's a better option than Wallace. Not that our line is great at pass blocking but it's better than Oakland, and our weapons are a thousand times better. He fits here well and would be a backup I felt confident could get me a few wins if needed. Flynn when he did play, really looked like a Rodgers mini-me to my eyes. He played a lot like him.

Obviously he isn't the same guy who threw 6 TDs in that one game. I'm all for signing him but there is a reason he couldn't make the cut on the Raiders and Bills.

Packers4Glory
11-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Obviously he isn't the same guy who threw 6 TDs in that one game. I'm all for signing him but there is a reason he couldn't make the cut on the Raiders and Bills.
well yeah. totally inferior teams with subpar talent on the offensive side of the ball...plus scheme. Flynn had been in our system for a few seasons and knew the offense. Don't discount having to learn a new system coupled w/ shitty talent plus a system that doesn't fit his style as major factors.

woodbuck27
11-08-2013, 09:32 AM

I'm looking at Matt Flynn's Stats in 2 games with the Oakland Raiders early this season.

His passing attempts in those two games look curiously low at 34. Otherwise his completion % and QB Rating don't look disastrous.

His completion average at 7.2 Y/C and game average at 123 Y/G summon questions. ie arm strength

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
11-08-2013, 09:33 AM
well yeah. totally inferior teams with subpar talent on the offensive side of the ball...plus scheme. Flynn had been in our system for a few seasons and knew the offense. Don't discount having to learn a new system coupled w/ shitty talent plus a system that doesn't fit his style as major factors.

Good points.

Patler
11-08-2013, 09:41 AM

That doesn't explain the fact that he was beaten out by two or three other QBs at each of those places. It might explain poor numbers, but it doesn't explain being released when others were kept.

Brandon494
11-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Your acting like he just didn't win the starting jobs at Oakland and Buffalo, he couldn't even make these teams. This is a guy who threw 60% of his career TD passes in one game which made him a lot of money.

Patler
11-08-2013, 09:49 AM
This is a guy who threw 60% of his career TD passes in one game which made him a lot of money.

Aren't pro sports wonderful?

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Maybe the rats are overthinking this? I, being an old fart, just look at it as do I believe Flynn would be a better quarterback in the packer system right now than Wallace or Tolzien? Gotta believe that answer is yes, but what the hell do I know...

bobblehead
11-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Oh God.

We are all starting to think alike.

First, I thought Wallace ain't cutting the mustard, then I figured it might be Tolzien not hacking it.

I also think if Matt doesn't light it up in the work-out, they'll stand pat.

My first reaction is that TT doesn't leave stones unturned. He is rumored to have interest in everyone from Vick to Tebow. Why? Because he looks into every situation where it doesn't hurt him to do so. Flynn is no different.

Guiness
11-08-2013, 12:32 PM
That doesn't explain the fact that he was beaten out by two or three other QBs at each of those places. It might explain poor numbers, but it doesn't explain being released when others were kept.

He was beaten out by running/option QBs at each stop. Wilson, Pryor at the first two, he was never really a consideration in Buffalo, just holding the clip board until Manuel (another runner...) got back.

Seems to me his best chance was the Raiders. Wilson was a wunderkind, but Pryor had not shown anything in a few years and Oakland like pocket passers. It was definitely strange the way they gave him money, then just released him in favour of a UDFA rookie.

The timing of bringing him in (after they elevated Tolzien) does tell me they don't intend to sign him unless Wallace plays very badly (or pulls a hammy...) this week-end. If they sign him, they have to release someone, seemingly Tolzien, who would then have to clear waivers.

Tony Oday
11-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Sign him. Wallace is 100 years old and a midget, if he gets hurt we have a guy worse than Gram Harrell backing him up.

Packers4Glory
11-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Wilson is potentially a franchise QB. Flynn is talented but he's not one of those types. Pryor was a better fit because he could scramble out of trouble and make things happen with his legs behind a brutal O-line.

Our line isn't great but Flynn is adept at sliding up in the pocket or getting outside and making throws. He's not going to run for 100 yards like Pryor which 85% of those are because the line broke down and/or nobody is open. Woodson would be one of their top WR if he played offense lol

Look, i'm not saying Flynn is a pro-bowl QB but he can help you win games in the right situation and system. in OUR system I think he could beat anyone or at least not cause you to lose against a good team. Wallace just doesn't seem like a good fit to me. Maybe I'm wrong. hopefully I am if we stick with him. There's no reason to lose the next 3 weeks or so.

Fosco33
11-08-2013, 02:51 PM
I think his elbow injury is worse than we know. He may replace Scotty T but Uncle Rico will be better after a week of practice. Can't get worse than 50% for 120y and an int. If we get a first hand assessment of his elbow and arm strength - then maybe... but why would everyone else have cut him so quickly.

denverYooper
11-08-2013, 03:22 PM
I think his elbow injury is worse than we know. He may replace Scotty T but Uncle Rico will be better after a week of practice. Can't get worse than 50% for 120y and an int. If we get a first hand assessment of his elbow and arm strength - then maybe... but why would everyone else have cut him so quickly.

I sure hope they come in with a gameplan better suited to Wallace on Sunday. That should help.

woodbuck27
11-08-2013, 06:37 PM
I sure hope they come in with a gameplan better suited to Wallace on Sunday. That should help.

What will help more is a belief in miracles...prayer.

** Seneca Wallace has managed one win as a starter in the NFL from the 2009 season to present. Overall in that period he's gone 1 W - 8 L.

** In 21 starts as an NFL QB his record is 6W- 15L.

** a 59.1 Completion % .... overall in his NFL career.

** 31 TD and 19 Picks .... ditto.

** QB Rating of 80.6 .... ditto.

http://u.goal.com/8000/8050hp2.jpg

Freak Out
11-08-2013, 07:02 PM
LOL.

highlander
11-08-2013, 07:21 PM
What will help more is a belief in miracles...prayer.

** Seneca Wallace has managed one win as a starter in the NFL from the 2009 season to present. Overall in that period he's gone 1 W - 8 L.

** In 21 starts as an NFL QB his record is 6W- 15L.

** a 59.1 Completion %

** 31 TD and 19 Picks

** QB Rating of 80.6

http://u.goal.com/8000/8050hp2.jpg

** a 59.1 Completion %

** 31 TD and 19 Picks

** QB Rating of 80.6

those #'s really are not that bad. If a QB has a year like that there considered pretty good. and those stats based on games played is about a years time. I am sure there are other factors that caused some of those losses.

woodbuck27
11-08-2013, 07:31 PM
** a 59.1 Completion %

** 31 TD and 19 Picks

** QB Rating of 80.6

those #'s really are not that bad. If a QB has a year like that there considered pretty good. and those stats based on games played is about a years time. I am sure there are other factors that caused some of those losses.

Here's a LINK to all of Seneca Wallace's Stat's.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WallSe00.htm

The TD's, Picks and QB Rating are based on all his NFL games as a starter and backup or 64 games.

Joemailman
11-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Most of those losses were with bad teams in Seattle and Cleveland from 2008-2011. They were bad no matter who the QB was. He's not anything more than a decent backup caliber QB, but he'll have a better supporting cast than he had with those teams.

highlander
11-08-2013, 07:47 PM
I was looking at starts which I thought your original post was stating. Never the less he is no Rodgers, Farve. Lets hope he gets us a couple wins .

woodbuck27
11-08-2013, 08:55 PM
I was looking at starts which I thought your original post was stating. Never the less he is no Rodgers, Farve. Lets hope he gets us a couple wins .

I amended my post to make it clearer.

I'll be over joyed if he helps us to 'wins'.

I'll be a very happy Packer fan if he gets his next win Vs the Eagles.

One game and game plan at a time. The team has to step up.

pbmax
11-08-2013, 10:01 PM

Don't look now but the Packers are missing three targets Flynn used to have in Green Bay (Cobb, Jennings, Finley) another who is still making his way back, Jones. And an O line that is better at run blocking than pass blocking.

They do have a fancy new running attack, which is supposed to be good for something but I haven't figured out what it is yet.

denverYooper
11-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Don't look now but the Packers are missing three targets Flynn used to have in Green Bay (Cobb, Jennings, Finley) another who is still making his way back, Jones. And an O line that is better at run blocking than pass blocking.

They do have a fancy new running attack, which is supposed to be good for something but I haven't figured out what it is yet.

great running game = playoff wins.

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2013, 08:11 AM
I predict we find out tomorrow that Taco is better than Flynn.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-09-2013, 10:00 AM

You are braver than I to make such a prediction, especially in print.

woodbuck27
11-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Set the Aaron Rodgers injury aside.

We're playing on a short week and that in itself isn't good against a team that has such potential on 'O' and much improved of late on 'D'.

Having noted that:

The high tempo Eagle offense which is in the top third of the NFL in plays run will test our 'D' if it's allowed to get into gear. Yet that offense has been down and up of late. Prior to their huge win at Oakland Oakland, the Eagles didn't score an offensive touchdown in two straight games. Are they for real is still a question mark. It's entirely possible for the Packers to bounce back and shutdown their offense with a solid performance. It's vital that the Packer 'D' steps it up over what we saw Vs the Bears.

It should be noted that the Eagle 'D' has been as good as ours the past five games in terms of points allowed at around 18 /game. Yet the Eagle passing 'D' is ranked worst in the NFL. Inspite of Seneca Wallace's limitations; MM should be somewhat aggressive calling the pass. If Taco gets a 2 TD performance and a QB rating over 80 and the team a +2 TO margin. The Packers have a solid chance to win this game.

The Packer 'D' and especially the DL looked tired late in the MNF game Vs the Bears. Our secondary as a whole wasn't tackling as it must this week. The Packer linebackers will be tested by a stout Eagle running game and must step it up.

The Packers running game is solid but only two teams run the football better than the Eagles (RB's LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown), and it also cracks the Top 10 in passing offense overall in the NFL. It's vital that the game is managed to keep the Eagle offense off the field and give our 'D' as much rest as possible. That means that MM has to utilize the running attack and a variety of safer passing routes that will keep it real for Seneca Wallace.

We need to see a solid team effort and a win. This game will be a true test of what the Green Bay Packers really are in terms of strength and desire. Lambeau Field has to be into it and loud throughout this game.

GO PACKERS !

pbmax
11-09-2013, 12:56 PM
great running game = playoff wins.

But only if playoff games are in cold weather, right?

Miami didn't need a running game with Marino did they?

bobblehead
11-09-2013, 02:01 PM
But only if playoff games are in cold weather, right?

Miami didn't need a running game with Marino did they?

How many superbowls did miami/Marino win? Must have been a bunch to have used it as an example.

red
11-09-2013, 02:55 PM
we ahd a hell of a running game against the bears and we still lost (200+ yards)

someone in the game thread put it best when they said something along the lines of "this should prove that only the passing game matters"

i think the running game helps, but todays game, it's all about throwing the ball. the run just gets guys to stack the box and make it easier to throw.

look at the queens. best running back in the game. they can't win shit because they can't throw

i think the pre 70's NFL is officially dead

CaptainKickass
11-09-2013, 03:05 PM
One other thought I had was that TT was being especially thrifty/budget conscious/cheap regarding Flynn. I think if the Pack picked him up on waivers that they would have inherited whatever contract he was under (please correct me if I'm wrong). He's a free agent now so TT can dictate the terms/price for his services - my guess is the veterans minimum with maybe an incentive or 2.

We all agree that the big IF here is whether or not the medical staff passes his arm/elbow.

Has Flynn even been sighted or rumored to even in Green Bay yet?

Guiness
11-09-2013, 03:57 PM
One other thought I had was that TT was being especially thrifty/budget conscious/cheap regarding Flynn. I think if the Pack picked him up on waivers that they would have inherited whatever contract he was under (please correct me if I'm wrong). He's a free agent now so TT can dictate the terms/price for his services - my guess is the veterans minimum with maybe an incentive or 2.

We all agree that the big IF here is whether or not the medical staff passes his arm/elbow.

Has Flynn even been sighted or rumored to even in Green Bay yet?

I don't think there is any contract to inherit this time, or if so it's not a big one.

When Oakland released him, there was, but no one claimed him so the contract voided (or whatever it is they do). That was the big one...when Buffalo signed him, it might not have been for the vet minimum, but it certainly wasn't much more.

red
11-09-2013, 04:51 PM
if we had put in a waiver claim then we have to take him no matter what.

if the team had concerns about his elbow, then it would have been stupid to put in a claim. there would have been a chance that you just signed a guy only to put him on IR

for them to bring him in for a workout and not sign him, then i think that tells us that something is wrong. if not, i could see us picking him up on monday if wallace has a so-so game again like last week

pbmax
11-09-2013, 05:11 PM
How many superbowls did miami/Marino win? Must have been a bunch to have used it as an example.

No, no, I have read that running games are only necessary in cold weather. I am certain of it.

Pugger
11-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Have we given Matt a tryout yet or are we waiting until next week? I wonder why we didn't bring him in for a look-see after he cleared waivers last week...

Jimx29
11-09-2013, 09:15 PM
FWIW.....I just read that Wallace will be the first black starting QB in Packers history :huh:

Rastak
11-09-2013, 10:55 PM
FWIW.....I just read that Wallace will be the first black starting QB in Packers history :huh:

Wow.....I'd be more shocked if you guys did't have the position locked down for the last 20 years.......

bobblehead
11-10-2013, 06:31 AM
No, no, I have read that running games are only necessary in cold weather. I am certain of it.

OK, we have found a point of agreement then. Running the ball is always important. In fairness I think you have read that its even MORE important in the cold when its harder to execute the passing game.

i.e. "Its especially important to run the ball effectively in December in Lambeau."

Infamous
11-10-2013, 08:22 AM

I believe Favre was considered an honorary brother

denverYooper
11-10-2013, 08:26 AM

You sir, are winning.

channtheman
11-10-2013, 09:31 AM

LMAO

Packgator
11-10-2013, 10:13 AM
i could see us picking him up on monday if wallace has a so-so game again like last week

I'm just hoping that Wallace can give us a so-so game.

woodbuck27
11-10-2013, 10:19 AM

I hope he plays the game of his lifetime. That he plays over his head good. :-D

PACKERS !

red
11-10-2013, 10:24 AM

he gave us a so-so game last week and we couldn't win

the rest of the team needs to step up, because like you said, wallace should just be able to give us so-so games and we should still be able to win with a 200 yard+ running game

woodbuck27
11-10-2013, 10:28 AM
he gave us a so-so game last week and we couldn't win

the rest of the team needs to step up, because like you said, wallace should just be able to give us so-so games and we should still be able to win with a 200 yard+ running game

The Philly 'O' runs on high octane. That offense runs a lot of plays ... and fast.

Our running game has to be more than 'just' solid. We must win possession on offense to rest our 'D' as much as possible or the Eagle offense will play our defense out before the end of the game.

digitaldean
11-10-2013, 11:08 AM
The Packers D must tackle and cover the pass better than last week or we won't stand a chance. Wallace has to make plays, pure and simple. He won't make Rodgers' patented back shoulder passes that he and Nelson have perfected. We lose the turnover battle and we have zero chance.

Nick Foles has been up and down all year. He has a record game last week, but the week previous to his big/decent games he's stunk.

Assuming Eagles will do 8 man fronts to stuff the run. No matter how you slice it, the next 4-6 weeks will be a huge uphill battle. There will be drop off to be sure at the QB level, but we just can't have a freefall.

Joemailman
11-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Flynn will work out for Packers today. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/231427861.html

woodbuck27
11-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Flynn will work out for Packers today. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/231427861.html

In his Monday Presser Mike McCarthy said that Matt Flynn was worked out today and looked fine.

sheepshead
11-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9m

As for GB… Fact that John Skelton is heading up to work out (1st reported by @LMagieraWAOW I think) indicates no decision today at backup QB

( I know, you missed me!)

Freak Out
11-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Hey Sheep. Hope all is well.

Patler
11-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Now they are saying Wallace could have returned, but his mobility would have been compromised.
Do they go with just Tolzien and Wallace?

sheepshead
11-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Hey Sheep. Hope all is well.

Other than Sundays things are good, thanks for asking! :)

Harlan Huckleby
11-11-2013, 05:09 PM
John Skelton is heading up to work out

If two San Fran castoffs are good, three can only be better

Freak Out
11-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Wallace, Tozien, Flynn and now Skelton. Sounds like the Bears not the Packers.

Tony Oday
11-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Tolzien will be an amazing NFL QB.

denverYooper
11-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 5m

NFL source has confirmed @AdamSchefter report that the #Packers have signed QB Matt Flynn. Probably means Wallace to IR.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m

Flynn returns... RT @TomSilverstein NFL source has confirmed @AdamSchefter report that the #Packers have signed QB Matt Flynn.,

Brandon494
11-11-2013, 06:42 PM
We have our Doug Pederson for the next few years.

woodbuck27
11-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 5m

NFL source has confirmed @AdamSchefter report that the #Packers have signed QB Matt Flynn. Probably means Wallace to IR.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m

Flynn returns... RT @TomSilverstein NFL source has confirmed @AdamSchefter report that the #Packers have signed QB Matt Flynn.,

After observing MM's reaction to Mat Flynn and his work out as... "He looked fine".

I'm not surprized if the Packers will sign him soon.

Here's where it stands at this time:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2013/11/11/ex-seattle-qb-matt-flynn-could-end-up-back-where-he-started/

Ex-Seattle QB Matt Flynn could end up back where he started

Monday, November 11, 2013 by:Nick Eaton

NFL.Com says that 'in fact' their info. is that it will be announced tomorrow that Matt Flynn is back with the Green Bay Packers. He passed his physical and worked out OK. He'll be back on our roster as soon as tomorrow.

PACKERS !

digitaldean
11-11-2013, 07:48 PM
After observing MM's reaction to Mat Flynn and his work out as... "He looked fine".

I'm not surprized if the Packers will sign him soon.

Here's where it stands at this time:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2013/11/11/ex-seattle-qb-matt-flynn-could-end-up-back-where-he-started/

Ex-Seattle QB Matt Flynn could end up back where he started

Monday, November 11, 2013 by:Nick Eaton

NFL.Com says that 'in fact' their info. is that it will be announced tomorrow that Matt Flynn is back with the Green Bay Packers. He passed his physical and worked out OK. He'll be back on our roster as soon as tomorrow.

PACKERS !

Wish it would have been a game sooner, but at least he is signed. He isn't the savior, but hopefully we can get a win or two before ARod comes back

red
11-11-2013, 07:51 PM
WELCOME HOME MATT

now lets get that boy a playbook and get him up to speed ASAP

now if we could only sign some guys to play defense

Harlan Huckleby
11-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Wish it would have been a game sooner, but at least he is signed. He isn't the savior, but hopefully we can get a win or two before ARod comes back

The plan and hope is that Flynn won't take the field in 2013.

channtheman
11-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Now they are saying Wallace could have returned, but his mobility would have been compromised.
Do they go with just Tolzien and Wallace?

I saw in MM's press conference that he said Tolzien will start next Sunday against the Giants.

channtheman
11-11-2013, 08:54 PM

Slightly different than Pederson. When Doug Pederson entered a game, I don't know anyone who felt confident that he would score a TD, let alone lead us to a win. Flynn in his two starts almost beat the Patriots and set Packer records against the Lions.

Harlan Huckleby
11-11-2013, 09:20 PM
I don't think Flynn will be given an opportunity to compete with Tolzien this season, there is no time for that. They don't do scrimmaging during the regular season, and Tolzien desperately needs all the reps during run-throughs. Unless Tolzien completely shits the bed, he'll hold the job.

red
11-11-2013, 09:25 PM
I don't think Flynn will be given an opportunity to compete with Tolzien this season, there is no time for that. They don't do scrimmaging during the regular season, and Tolzien desperately needs all the reps during run-throughs. Unless Tolzien completely shits the bed, he'll hold the job.

tolzien won the job by default after being on the roster less then a week. i doubt he has an iron grip on that starting job

he was given the start for next weeks game because he was the only QB on the roster and anyone they brought in would need some time to adjust.

if tolzien struggles against one of the worst teams in the NFL, then i can see flynn getting in the game this week. either way, i think he has a chance as the starter against the Vikings

again, despite what MM said. 24-29 for 280 yards 1 td and 2ints which should have been 4 is a good game for a guy who was on the practice squad earlier in the week, but its hardly a game the locks up that position for the rest of the season, or at least until a-rod comes back

a lot of people have riped flynn for being kicked around the league since he left GB, but tolzien has been kicked around almost as much, and there is a reason for that too

Tony Oday
11-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Can we get a fountain of youth and Kevin Greene, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Strahan and Rod Woodson? I would like that...

red
11-11-2013, 09:31 PM
i don't want warren sapp anywhere near green bay

fuck that fat over rated piece of loudmouth shit

Harlan Huckleby
11-11-2013, 09:37 PM
if tolzien struggles against one of the worst teams in the NFL, then i can see flynn getting in the game this week. either way, i think he has a chance as the starter against the Vikings

Tolzien is going to struggle, he's raw. You can expect repeats of Tolzien's QBR of 70, or perhaps be pleasantly surprised if he gets better with experience. That is good enough to win if the defense is decent.

Flynn has barely played this season, and looked so-so. There is no point in switching to Flynn, he is not a better bet. BTW, Tolzien was a better passer than Flynn in college, he won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award his senior year. It's not like Flynn is a markedly superior athlete, Tolzien has a stronger arm.

Finally, Tolzien is a Badger. I refer you to some Randy Newman lyrics, "Rednecks":

We got no-necked oilmen from Texas
And good ol' boys from Tennessee
And colleges men from LSU
Went in dumb. Come out dumb too
Hustlin' 'round Atlanta in their alligator shoes
Gettin' drunk every weekend at the barbecues
And they're keepin' the {Incognito language omitted} down

The Shadow
11-11-2013, 09:45 PM
I've always thought Thompson was George Washingtonish in the handling of the roster. The one exception : the backup quarterback situation. here, he is definitely Barrack Obama-ish.

channtheman
11-11-2013, 10:11 PM
I've always thought Thompson was George Washingtonish in the handling of the roster. The one exception : the backup quarterback situation. here, he is definitely Barrack Obama-ish.

Keep this shit in FYI motherfucker! Didn't you see the cock topic that was stickied earlier?

Carolina_Packer
11-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Can we get a fountain of youth and Kevin Greene, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Strahan and Rod Woodson? I would like that...

Tony O, I think Capers would take this! :-) Was he a better coach in Pittsburgh, or did he just have better personnel? (I realize you put players in your list not on the 90's Steelers teams). Seriously, though, if you look at some of the names, it's incredible...

Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd, Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Chad Brown, Levon Kirkland, Deon Figures, Brentson Buckner, Darren Perry, etc.

Think you could do something with the names above? :-) We have some good players on defense, but not a collection like that. The names were from the 1994 Steelers roster, a year into free agency, and the year the salary cap started (34.6 million was the original salary cap btw). No way you could carry that may good players on your roster now, unless you just had incredibly good luck (and health) in hitting on draft picks while they are playing on their rookie contracts. If Kevin Greene played now, he would be making Clay Matthews type money, so how many of those types can you have under your cap?

woodbuck27
11-12-2013, 06:43 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24219681/packers-sign-matt-Flynn

Packers sign Matt Flynn

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer .... November 11, 2013 8:13 pm ET

" Monday: the Packers signed free agent quarterback -- and former Packers backup -- Matt Flynn CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports.

Flynn joins the motley crew of Seneca Wallace and Scott Tolzien on the roster with Aaron Rodgers recovering from a fractured collarbone. He could also be joined by John Skelton. "

Jason La Canfora ✔ @JasonLaCanfora

Even with the Packers signing Matt Flynn, QB John Skelton is still headed to Green Bay for a workout on Tues.

7:45 PM - 11 Nov 2013

I watched this game MNF last night and specifically the play of two young QB's or Miami's Ryan Tannehill Vs the Tampa Bat BUC's Rookie Mike Glennon. I liked the way that Glennon handled the BUC's offense but Tannehill not so much. Inspite of the fact that Tannehill was missing the left side of his OL I didn't like what I saw of his style of play.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331111027

Eventually our problems at QB will straighten out and 'in fact' today I feel with Aaron Rodgers return that we're stronger at QB than we were at the start of this regular schedule.

We simply need to see MM and the coaching staff light a fire under the asses of some of our remaining healthy players. This team has to show some parts and get a couple of wins over the next two games at the New York GIANTS and home to Minny. That would make our record a contending 7-4 and go a long ways toword showing all Packer fans the character of this team.

GO PACKERS !

run pMc
11-12-2013, 07:59 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24219681/packers-sign-matt-Flynn

I watched this game MNF last night and specifically the play of two young QB's or Miami's Ryan Tannehill Vs the Tampa Bat BUC's Rookie Mike Glennon. I liked the way that Glennon handled the BUC's offense but Tannehill not so much. Inspite of the fact that Tannehill was missing the left side of his OL I didn't like what I saw of his style of play.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331111027

Eventually our problems at QB will straighten out and 'in fact' today I feel with Aaron Rodgers return that we're stronger at QB than we were at the start of this regular schedule.

We simply need to see MM and the coaching staff light a fire under the asses of some of our remaining healthy players. This team has to show some parts and get a couple of wins over the next two games at the New York GIANTS and home to Minny. That would make our record a contending 7-4 and go a long ways toword showing all Packer fans the character of this team.

GO PACKERS !

Is the NYG a "must-win" game? I think it is if they want to make the playoffs. Not convinced Rodgers will make it back before the DET Thanksgiving game...so they need a 'W'. The MIN game is at Lambeau, but that's no guarantee GB will win.
Honestly, despite teams loading up to stop Lacy I think the offense has played just ok. The defense has been shockingly bad, and if that doesn't change I'm not sure even Rodgers can make up for that.

pbmax
11-12-2013, 08:17 AM

Doug Pederson pre or post Philadelphia gig?

pbmax
11-12-2013, 08:19 AM
The team still misses Nick Collins above all else.

woodbuck27
11-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Is the NYG a "must-win" game? I think it is if they want to make the playoffs. Not convinced Rodgers will make it back before the DET Thanksgiving game...so they need a 'W'. The MIN game is at Lambeau, but that's no guarantee GB will win.
Honestly, despite teams loading up to stop Lacy I think the offense has played just ok. The defense has been shockingly bad, and if that doesn't change I'm not sure even Rodgers can make up for that.

The Green Bay Packers must win their next two games. They need to keep the Detroit Lions in sight over the next two weeks and hope that Aaron Rodgers returns on Thanksgiving Day. The Packers must start a winning streak and at least remain in contention with the 6-3 49ers and Panthers for a Wild Card berth.

Realistically I believe that the Packers must win their next three games and finish to win the NFCN to get into the playoffs.

It looks to me the Seattle Seahawks at 9-1 will win the NFCW and San Fran 49ers (6-3) flip to a Wild Card berth. The NFCS will come down to either the NO Saints (7-2) or the Carolina Panthers (6-3) with the other flipping in as a Wild Card.

I like the Philadelphia Eagles (5-5) to win the NFCE over the Dallas Cowboys (5-5).

GO PACK GO !

Infamous
10-26-2014, 10:31 PM
lol

Infamous
10-27-2014, 04:46 AM
i don't want warren sapp anywhere near green bay

fuck that fat over rated piece of loudmouth shit

oops, forgot to include quote!

I meant lol at this mini rant

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-27-2014, 09:50 AM
While you have this thread pulled up. Flynn sucks ass. Waste of money and after this year his nfl career is over. Tolzien is easily better than him.

Pugger
10-27-2014, 07:47 PM
While you have this thread pulled up. Flynn sucks ass. Waste of money and after this year his nfl career is over. Tolzien is easily better than him.

I'm with you! Flynn's pocket awareness is terrible. I say put Tolzien at the #2 spot and let him mop up instead. What do we have to lose?

Patler
10-27-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm with you! Flynn's pocket awareness is terrible. I say put Tolzien at the #2 spot and let him mop up instead. What do we have to lose?

I'm more concerned about Tolzien's "DB in the area of the WR" awareness, based on what I saw last year when he was given full games to play. A QB coming in cold when he hasn't played for weeks and fumbling in his first series doesn't necessarily raise a flag for me.

Harlan Huckleby
10-28-2014, 04:57 AM
I'm more concerned about Tolzien's "DB in the area of the WR" awareness, based on what I saw last year when he was given full games to play.

This argument will be no more or less valid in 2015. And quite possibly 2016.

You have to let go of an impression from 2013. Tolzien showed he was better than Flynn last summer. Players change. Tolzien looks a lot better, Flynn has regressed.

Flynn is the Brad Jones of the QB group. He was handed the job based on some brief flashes in the past. I think that is a mistake for players who are not pro bowl level.

Pugger
10-28-2014, 11:29 AM
I'm more concerned about Tolzien's "DB in the area of the WR" awareness, based on what I saw last year when he was given full games to play. A QB coming in cold when he hasn't played for weeks and fumbling in his first series doesn't necessarily raise a flag for me.

No? I find this curious. Flynn hasn't looked all that great when he's come in. Do you think Tolzien would be appreciably worse?

Patler
10-28-2014, 11:52 AM
No? I find this curious. Flynn hasn't looked all that great when he's come in. Do you think Tolzien would be appreciably worse?

I was referring only to the fumble. In and of itself, it didn't mean much to me.

As for Tolzien vs. Flynn, I tend to think Flynn is the correct choice to be active on game days. I think Flynn is the better prepared to take over in the middle of a game and finish it, just because of his experience. However, if Rodgers were to go out again for multiple weeks, Tolzien would probably be my choice to become the starter. Two different situations.

ThunderDan
10-28-2014, 12:07 PM
oops, forgot to include quote!

I meant lol at this mini rant

The Woodbuck post just above is pretty fun to read considering we made the playoffs at 8-7-1 last year.

Infamous
10-16-2016, 07:57 PM
BRING BACK FLYNN!!

Pugger
10-16-2016, 08:29 PM
BRING BACK FLYNN!!

Things are quite that dire, yet.