PDA

View Full Version : Boykin looks to be a keeper

Patler
11-11-2013, 09:33 AM
The kid has really stepped up. In five games he has 23 receptions for 362 yards. Making difficult catches, too.

Bostick looks natural catching the ball too.

red
11-11-2013, 09:37 AM
how does this effect the resigning of james jones?

do you go with jones, jordy, cobb and boykins next year

or are we fine with jordy, cobb and just boykins

the way our guys get hurt i would like to have as many as possible. plus, jones FA value has to be dropping at this point

pbmax
11-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Boykin does look natural on the outside. Not sure he is the same threat downfield as Jones though. Would love to keep both, but might not be possible.

Patler
11-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Jones made some awfully difficult catches yesterday. Not the stretching, acrobatic circus type catches far down field that we know Nelson for, but a couple rockets; one way behind him that he somehow twisted back for and kept running, and one out too far in front, that he caught on his fingertips before going down. Both were tough, tough catches.

red
11-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Jones made some awfully difficult catches yesterday. Not the stretching, acrobatic circus type catches far down field that we know Nelson for, but a couple rockets; one way behind him that he somehow twisted back for and kept running, and one out too far in front, that he caught on his fingertips before going down. Both were tough, tough catches.

its amazing that 2 or 3 years ago the guy couldn't hold on to anything

HarveyWallbangers
11-11-2013, 10:09 AM
If you can get Jones to a similar contract as he signed the last time, you do it. If he wants more, you let him walk. Either way the Packers will draft a WR pretty high next year with their top three being FAs within a year or two. You could roll with Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, and a high pick. Resigning Jones would be a luxury.

Patler
11-11-2013, 10:13 AM
its amazing that 2 or 3 years ago the guy couldn't hold on to anything

Even in those years, he made a lot of very difficult catches. What he couldn't catch were the high arching deep passes that dropped in over his head. Now, your don't see them throwing those to him much anymore.

Patler
11-11-2013, 10:16 AM
If you can get Jones to a similar contract as he signed the last time, you do it. If he wants more, you let him walk. Either way the Packers will draft a WR pretty high next year with their top three being FAs within a year or two. You could roll with Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, and a high pick. Resigning Jones would be a luxury.

They can probably afford to give him a little bit more. They have Finley's money that can be given to Jones and Nelson, especially if Bostick comes on as a pass-receiving TE. Finley is likely finished in GB.

Harlan Huckleby
11-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Boykin reminds me of Donald Driver - I think his face even looks a little like him. Driver was no speedster either, but knew how to play the position.

I expect Boykin will stick in the league for 5 years or so, maybe as a #3, but a damn reliable player. Could be a #2 on many teams.

Bossman641
11-11-2013, 12:09 PM

HW is right. I think Jones has priced himself out of a Packer contract but I'd love to be wrong.

Brandon494
11-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Glad my boy is making me look good, hopefully he'll follow the steps of another former Hokie in Antonio Freeman.

Brandon494
11-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Boykin reminds me of Donald Driver - I think his face even looks a little like him. Driver was no speedster either, but knew how to play the position.

I expect Boykin will stick in the league for 5 years or so, maybe as a #3, but a damn reliable player. Could be a #2 on many teams.

His game is nothing like Driver, they look nothing alike, and Driver was a track star in college clocking a 4.45 40 time in the combine. Strike 3...you're out!! :grin:

Joemailman
11-11-2013, 06:24 PM
His game is nothing like Driver, they look nothing alike, and Driver was a track star in college clocking a 4.45 40 time in the combine. Strike 3...you're out!! :grin:

Not sure where the 4.45 number comes from, but it wasn't from the combine. Driver wasn't at the combine. He was a track star, but as a jumper, not a sprinter.

Brandon494
11-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Not sure where the 4.45 number comes from, but it wasn't from the combine. Driver wasn't at the combine. He was a track star, but as a jumper, not a sprinter.

I googled it and it said 4.45 coming into the NFL so I assumed it was at the combine. As far as the track star comment it was stating how athletic Driver was earlier in his career, he could have qualified for the Olympics. Boykin is more of a football player then an athlete if you know what I mean.

Freak Out
11-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Really like the way Boykin has gained confidence every week.

Joemailman
11-11-2013, 06:44 PM
The number's probably not too far off. Jennings ran a 4.42 and James Jones ran a 4.59. Driver was probably somewhere in between those 2.

Getting back to Boykin, he reminds me more of James Jones than Driver. He might make Jones expendable if some other team offers Jones big money.

Brandon494
11-11-2013, 06:47 PM
I think we'll be able to hold onto Jones unless some dumb ass breaks the banks with him. They aren't going to let go of Finley and Jones, we need to keep some play makers.

channtheman
11-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Keep Jones with the other 3. Injuries happen, especially on the Packers so you can expect at least one won't play for parts of the season... and if somehow they all stay healthy, look out.

Joemailman
11-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Keep Jones with the other 3. Injuries happen, especially on the Packers so you can expect at least one won't play for parts of the season... and if somehow they all stay healthy, look out.

Well, of course you'd like to do that. However, there is the reality of the salary cap, and both Jordy and Cobb will be entering the final years of their contracts next year. At this point, Jones looks like an easier guy to replace than Jordy or Cobb. I would hate to see Jones leave, but other teams might make him too expensive to keep. Hopefully not.

Carolina_Packer
11-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Considering what the NFL decision makers thought of him coming out of VA Tech, it's incredible how far he has come. Wasn't he signed after a rookie mini-camp tryout in 2012? That's a great find! Kudos to him for making it happen.

woodbuck27
11-12-2013, 06:58 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jarrett-boykin-overcomes-speed-limits-to-impact-offense-b99134027z1-230447381.html

Jarrett Boykin overcomes speed limits to impact Packers offense

To date, Edgar Bennett and Antonio Freeman — two of the headliners of the 1996 Super Bowl season — help each other out.

Freeman trains college receivers for the pros. Bennett, of course, coaches wide receivers for the Green Bay Packers.

And midway through last year, their conversation turned to the man who broke Freeman's records at Virginia Tech. Jarrett Boykin.

" Look at a lot of fast guys in the game, " Freeman continued.

"Once you take that deep ball away from them, now they have to create and become a different type of receiver that they're not comfortable with. When you're not fast — or you're not regarded as being fast — you don't have to work hard at being fast. The judgment is out. You're not fast!

"So you can work on other areas and strengthen your game in other areas. That's what Boykin does. That's what Edgar Bennett teaches. If you're a balanced receiver, you can be great in this game." Antonio Freeman

There's much more if you click the LINK above.

GO PACK GO !

sheepshead
11-12-2013, 07:09 AM

yeah.

pbmax
11-12-2013, 08:09 AM

I though of Driver as well. But not because of speed, athleticism or his face. It was his routes. Or maybe his role in the offense. He didn't go deep as much as Jones and Nelson and his routes tended to be clustered in the mid-range of the field, often coming back to the QB. Those were routes Driver ran. Even Cobb and Jennings didn't look like Driver.

To be fair, that is later career Driver, when he played a lot in the slot. When he was younger, he went deep more frequently.

Cheesehead Craig
11-12-2013, 11:33 AM
He's looking great and definately is making Jones look expendable if he does want too much money. I'd rather have Jones here than not, but the Pack can live without him.