PDA

View Full Version : Our defense hasn't just started playing bad

red
11-11-2013, 10:04 AM
they've been bad all year, they pulled it together for a couple games, but keep this number in mind

we gave up 412 passing yards to Kaepernick and the 49ers in week one. "oh but thats just Kaep being Kaep"

since then, Kaepernick has only thrown for more then 200 yards one other time (252 to the cardinals). he threw 3 td's against us, he has 9 for the whole season (9 games so far)

KYPack
11-11-2013, 10:13 AM
they've been bad all year, they pulled it together for a couple games, but keep this number in mind

we gave up 412 passing yards to Kaepernick and the 49ers in week one. "oh but thats just Kaep being Kaep"

since then, Kaepernick has only thrown for more then 200 yards one other time (252 to the cardinals). he threw 3 td's against us, he has 9 for the whole season (9 games so far)

I know. He's a sure fire HOFer vs us, then struggles against even average defenses. Against Carolina, they kept strong pressure on him with 4 pass rushers. That took all the reads out of the read option. Kaep throwing from a pressured pocket is no threat at all.

PA Pack Fan
11-11-2013, 10:13 AM
They've sucked for 3+ years now. The gameplan (for me) has always been just outscore our opponent. Now that we cant do that, the focus has shifted to how shitty our defense is. I don't give anyone a pass on this, not even Mathews.

Patler
11-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Didn't most of us suspect that? What has changed from the last couple years to vastly improve the defense? Jolly? Hyde? Even if they are upgrades, they aren't team-changing by any stretch.

I thought perhaps the rushing defense improvement was legit. Jolly and Perry with a more rested Raji, and Hyde as a solid tackling DBcould impact that a lot. Not sure what was going on the last 6 quarters with that.

red
11-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Didn't most of us suspect that? What has changed from the last couple years to vastly improve the defense? Jolly? Hyde? Even if they are upgrades, they aren't team-changing by any stretch.

I thought perhaps the rushing defense improvement was legit. Jolly and Perry with a more rested Raji, and Hyde as a solid tackling DBcould impact that a lot. Not sure what was going on the last 6 quarters with that.

some people argued that the d-line just was too worn down from being on the field too much in the bears game to stop the run at the end

i wonder what the excuse is this week after the d-line only played 9 minutes before that last drive where they looked "gassed"

denverYooper
11-11-2013, 10:39 AM
some people argued that the d-line just was too worn down from being on the field too much in the bears game to stop the run at the end

i wonder what the excuse is this week after the d-line only played 9 minutes before that last drive where they looked "gassed"

Jolly got injured.

MadScientist
11-11-2013, 10:44 AM
they've been bad all year, they pulled it together for a couple games...
They didn't pull it together, they played teams offenses so shitty they made the Packers defense look decent.
Even playing crappy QB's the defense couldn't get interceptions.

Patler
11-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Jolly got injured.

Ya, and apparently Pickett is struggling with a bad knee, too. Said after the game that it isn't close to right, and he needs to have it checked out today. Throw in Perry going out, Matthews playing one-armed and there are a lot of individual factors, but basically they just played poorly and forgot how to tackle.

pbmax
11-11-2013, 11:10 AM
They didn't pull it together, they played teams offenses so shitty they made the Packers defense look decent.
Even playing crappy QB's the defense couldn't get interceptions.

That's not entirely true. They had the Bengals by the throat until Matthews got hurt. That offense has been pretty good for most of the season.