PDA

View Full Version : Official G-Men Week Discussion

pbmax
11-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
On #Packers workout of WR Eric Rogers, he had predraft visit with GB. When I talked to him in April, he had just got done working out w/CM3.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2h
Packers worked out Matt Flynn, Jamaal Johnson-Webb, Tori Mobley, Emmanuel Ogbuehi and Eric Rogers

denverYooper
11-12-2013, 08:39 AM
I bet Sherrod will be active on Sunday.

red
11-12-2013, 08:57 AM
GAHhhh

do we have to play another game already?

hoosier
11-12-2013, 09:02 AM
The way the GB secondary has been playing lately it is hard to imagine how they are going to keep Cruz and Nicks under control, even with the crappy season that Eli is having.

woodbuck27
11-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
On #Packers workout of WR Eric Rogers, he had predraft visit with GB. When I talked to him in April, he had just got done working out w/CM3.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2h
Packers worked out Matt Flynn, Jamaal Johnson-Webb, Tori Mobley, Emmanuel Ogbuehi and Eric Rogers

WR Eric Rogers - Cal Lutheran University

http://www.clusports.com/football/roster/1080/

OT Jamaal Johnson-Webb - Alabama A&M.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/jamaal-johnson-webb?id=2540252

OG Tori Mobley - Jacksonville State

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69335&draftyear=2013&genpos=OG

TE Emmanuel Ogbuehi - Georgia State

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/6/29/4469380/getting-to-know-the-2013-washington-redskins-emmanuel-ogbuehi

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Texans-to-work-out-Emmanuel-Ogbuehi.html

GO PACK GO !

pbmax
11-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Dunne at JSO just posted another story about turnovers.

Has it occurred to anyone that trying to get turnovers one on one is part of the problem? How about just tackling someone?

denverYooper
11-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Dunne at JSO just posted another story about turnovers.

Has it occurred to anyone that trying to get turnovers one on one is part of the problem? How about just tackling someone?

That was a huge problem around 2011, when they'd force turnovers but get gashed on a regular basis. It seemed like they were doing a better job at tackling earlier in the year. Maybe after Rodgers went down, guys started trying to be heroes instead of doing their jobs.

Tramon also seems unable to catch INTs now. He's had opportunities for at least 3 (4?) that he would have grabbed a few years ago. On two of those, he got mixed up with a safety, so I don't know who messed who up. On another, he undercut a route and got his hands on it but then dropped it.

House has had knocked down a fair number of passes, but that seems to be his first instinct.

Teams are mostly staying away from Shields, who would seem to be the one DB that can make them pay right now.

woodbuck27
11-12-2013, 10:00 AM
That was a huge problem around 2011, when they'd force turnovers but get gashed on a regular basis. It seemed like they were doing a better job at tackling earlier in the year. Maybe after Rodgers went down, guys started trying to be heroes instead of doing their jobs.

Tramon also seems unable to catch INTs now. He's had opportunities for at least 3 (4?) that he would have grabbed a few years ago. On two of those, he got mixed up with a safety, so I don't know who messed who up. On another, he undercut a route and got his hands on it but then dropped it.

House has had knocked down a fair number of passes, but that seems to be his first instinct.

Teams are mostly staying away from Shields, who would seem to be the one DB that can make them pay right now.

Shouldn't Shields be secured for a few seasons right now?

Tony Oday
11-12-2013, 10:25 AM
They are going to crush us. Manning for 6 TDs, Glen in a route 49-10

pbmax
11-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Did the Packers have a roster spot open or should we be watching for someone to fall off the roster?

Bossman641
11-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Did the Packers have a roster spot open or should we be watching for someone to fall off the roster?

Flynn was signed after NFL's close of day yesterday. Somebody will have to be cut/IR'ed to make room for him. Bye bye Seneca?

denverYooper
11-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Flynn was signed after NFL's close of day yesterday. Somebody will have to be cut/IR'ed to make room for him. Bye bye Seneca?

@NFL_ATL: Packers make it official: Matt Flynn signed, Seneca Wallace to season-ending I.R.

pittstang5
11-12-2013, 06:28 PM
They are going to crush us. Manning for 6 TDs, Glen in a route 49-10

6 TDs? Nah, 4 is more realistic.

Nicks has given them fits in the past, why should Sunday be any different. The Packer secondary struggled with Jeffrey and Marshal and even gave up TDs to Riley F'n Cooper. Nicks will have at least 2 TDs - Probably 3.

If it's my call, I'd put House on Nicks and tell House, "Every single play, you punch him in the mouth and knock him off his route." This secondary needs to start playing more physical and start jamming guys at the line instead of playing 5-10 yards off.

woodbuck27
11-13-2013, 06:08 AM
6 TDs? Nah, 4 is more realistic.

Nicks has given them fits in the past, why should Sunday be any different. The Packer secondary struggled with Jeffrey and Marshal and even gave up TDs to Riley F'n Cooper. Nicks will have at least 2 TDs - Probably 3.

If it's my call, I'd put House on Nicks and tell House, "Every single play, you punch him in the mouth and knock him off his route." This secondary needs to start playing more physical and start jamming guys at the line instead of playing 5-10 yards off.

The early line is GIANTS (minus 6.5)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/11

In this weeks ESPN Power Rankings Green Bay (5-4) is parked in the '13 spot'.

Last week the Packers were in the '11 spot'.

The New York GIANTS (3-6) with three straight wins moved up from the '29 spot' and are now up in the '25 spot'.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
11-13-2013, 07:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/78012/defense-wont-save-the-packers

Defense won't save the Packers

November, 12, 2013

By John McTigue, ESPN Stats & Info | ESPN.com

The Packers are No. 13 in the Week 11 ESPN.com Power Rankings, their lowest rank since Week 7 of the 2010 season (15th).

" The offense wasn’t expected to perform at the same level without Rodgers and with just one touchdown on seven red zone drives without him, it’s clear it hasn’t.

But without Rodgers and the offense matching opponents on the scoreboard, a struggling Packers defense has become more and more exposed." All quotes Fr. LINK above (Typ.)

** The Packers have intercepted three passes this season, fewest in the NFL.

" This is in stark contrast to the previous four years of the Dom Capers era, when the Packers recorded 103 interceptions, 17 more than the next highest team.

Tramon Williams was second on the Packers during that stretch with 16 interceptions. Williams played nearly 400 snaps more than Woodson in their last four seasons together, but recorded only one of his interceptions with Woodson off field. Williams has no interceptions this season despite playing the most defensive snaps for Green Bay.

On the whole, the Packers averaged an interception once every 20.7 attempts from 2009 to 2012 with Woodson on field, and once every 29.9 attempts with Woodson off field.

This season the Packers have averaged an interception once every 101 attempts."**

Looking at 4th Quarter Offense Last 2 Weeks

TOP Packers = 8:33 while TOP Opponents =21:27

Plays Packers = 20 while opponents = 40

Yards Packers = 37 while Opponents = 177

1st downs Packers = 4 while Opponents = 13

Results for the Packer 'D':

" The Packers have allowed an NFL-worst nine drives of at least 10 plays in the fourth quarter this season (in nine games played) despite allowing six such drives in the first three quarters. "

Breaking instead of bending; most of the long fourth quarter drives against Green Bay have resulted in touchdowns.

" The Packers have allowed a touchdown on 42 percent of opponent drives in the fourth quarter this season, 10 percentage points worse than the next highest team (Falcons) and 24 percentage points worse than the league average.

The Packers have allowed more touchdowns throughout the game, however. Twenty-four percent of all drives against the Packers this season have resulted in a touchdown, worst of the Capers era and twice as frequent as the Packers’ 2010 Super Bowl season. "

Comment woodbuck27:

Now that is an up to date ... the 'Final Word' on the Green Bay Packers Defense.

That's why Aaron Rodgers gets paid the $$$$ BIG BUCKS $$$$ !

That's why he's always the Green Bay Packers MVP.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
11-13-2013, 07:55 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/3490/evaluating-packers-qb-scott-tolzien

Evaluating Packers' QB Scott Tolzien

Please click on the LINK to read the writers evaluation of our starting QB Vs the NY GIANTS.

November, 12, 2013

By Matt Williamson | ESPN.com

" Expect the Giants' defense to key on the outstanding Packers' running game and Eddie Lacy, and to dare Tolzien to beat them through the air. While I wouldn't argue with that strategy, the group of Jordy Nelson, James Jones and Jarrett Boykin have a major edge over the members of the Giants' secondary. Lacy, who has logged at least 20 carries in every game since taking over as the lead back in Week 5, was outstanding after contact last week. The Packers might have found another quality wide receiver in Boykin, who is big and physical with adequate speed and good body control. I love the way Boykin attacks the football and, like Tolzien, he is not a bashful player despite playing few meaningful regular-season snaps.

The Giants better be aware of tight end Brandon Bostick, who could be yet another break-out weapon for this offense. Bostick is a big time athlete who might be ready to create matchup problems from different alignments all over the field, which is something McCarthy excels at creating.

Tolzien moved the Packers' offense consistently against the Eagles, although he did make a few ill-advised throws and threw two interceptions. But Tolzien also just missed on a few big plays and should do a fine job of getting his receivers to use their strong after-the-catch skills. A turnover or two by Tolzien would not surprise me in New York, but I expect a very successful outing by Tolzien in his second game and first career start.

Everyone knows this is Rodgers' team, but if Tolzien is as effective as I expect after receiving a full week of preparation time as the Packers' starter, Green Bay should be able to keep their head above water in the NFC playoff race while Rodgers is out. And in the big picture, Tolzien might end up as the ideal young backup to Rodgers." Fr LINK above

GO PACKERS !

denverYooper
11-13-2013, 09:39 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-next-opponent-giants-b99140902z1-231692251.html

Scoops finds one particularly harsh "executive in personnel":

"I think Green Bay bottoms out this week. You're probably looking at Giants, 24-10. This is a little different situation for Tolzien. You're on the road playing a team with confidence. Playoffs are over. Detroit's going to win that division."

woodbuck27
11-13-2013, 09:54 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-next-opponent-giants-b99140902z1-231692251.html

Scoops finds one particularly harsh "executive in personnel":

"I think Green Bay bottoms out this week. You're probably looking at Giants, 24-10. This is a little different situation for Tolzien. You're on the road playing a team with confidence. Playoffs are over. Detroit's going to win that division."

The last game was huge ! We needed to win Vs the Eagles. Consecutive loss's at Lambeau Field is bad. All that is history.

This weeks away game @ the New York GIANTS .... moreso. If we win we go to 6-4 and face the Vikings back home in week 12.

The New York GIANTS offense isn't exactly sizzeling. It's ranked @ # 23 Vs our offense @ # 3.

On defense the Giants are superior and ranked @ #12 and the Packers 'D' @ #18.

Consecutive wins puts us at 7-4 and hopefully the return of our leader and MVP for a big matchup on Thanksgiving Day in Detroit. A win there and we're back for a real shot at winning the NFCN and the most clear and possible route to the playoffs.

GO PACKERS !

pbmax
11-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 5m
#Packers practice: Lots of news. Matthews not wearing a club. Richardson, Worthy practicing for first time. EDS practicing. Barclay not.

Pugger
11-13-2013, 12:08 PM

There was a discussion on that flukey TD by the Eagle WR who caught the ball after Williams and Burnett knocked each other out of the play on another forum I post on. I wonder if we are trying too damn hard and over pursuing too?

pbmax
11-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Hayward, Jolly, Rodgers, Perry and Barclay not practicing for #Packers Mulumba is back.

Patler
11-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Hayward, Jolly, Rodgers, Perry and Barclay not practicing for #Packers Mulumba is back.

So, EDS is practicing? That's very good news.

Pugger
11-13-2013, 12:12 PM
#Packers practice: Lots of news. Matthews not wearing a club. Richardson, Worthy practicing for first time. EDS practicing. Barclay not.

My goodness. There is a bunch of good news in this report - besides Barclay - for a freaking change! Maybe Worthy and Richardson will be activated off the PUP list in a couple weeks?

Patler
11-13-2013, 12:19 PM
My goodness. There is a bunch of good news in this report - besides Barclay - for a freaking change! Maybe Worthy and Richardson will be activated off the PUP list in a couple weeks?

Sherrod "practiced" last year too, then was put on IR, season ending PUP, or whatever it was called at the time. Worthy is only 10 months out from his surgery, so I'm not counting on him for this season. He'll probably practice off and on, have some issues, and on the last day be shelved for the season. Richardson could be as ready as he will ever be.

Pugger
11-13-2013, 12:31 PM
I thought guys on the PUP list can't practice with the team so you have to remove them from the PUP and then the team has to decide in X number of weeks what to do with a guy after they start practicing? :cnf:

Patler
11-13-2013, 12:37 PM
I thought guys on the PUP list can't practice with the team so you have to remove them from the PUP and then the team has to decide in X number of weeks what to do with a guy after they start practicing? :cnf:

They are allowed to practice for a maximum of three weeks, then a decision has to be made. Sherrod began practicing at the first eligible time, so a decision had to be made on him last week. I believe this week (maybe next) is the last week to open a practice window for a player. Worthy and Richardson will have up to three weeks before the Packers have to make a decision, although they can make the decision as soon as they want to now..

Pugger
11-13-2013, 12:40 PM
They are allowed to practice for three weeks, then a decision has to be made. Sherrod began practicing at the first eligible time, so a decision had to be made on him last week. I believe this week (maybe next) is the last week to open a practice window for a player. Worthy and Richardson will have upto three weeks before the Packers have to make a decision.

Then they can decide whether to activate them or put them on IR?

denverYooper
11-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Matthews not wearing the club, per Spoon.

Guiness
11-13-2013, 12:50 PM
The early line is GIANTS (minus 6.5)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/11

In this weeks ESPN Power Rankings Green Bay (5-4) is parked in the '13 spot'.

Last week the Packers were in the '11 spot'.

The New York GIANTS (3-6) with three straight wins moved up from the '29 spot' and are now up in the '25 spot'.

GO PACK GO !

Wow, the Giants favoured by almost a TD. That IS sad.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-13-2013, 01:01 PM
The way the packers been playing, I am surprised it ain't more...

Patler
11-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Then they can decide whether to activate them or put them on IR?

Yup, or release them.

Bossman641
11-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Matthews not wearing the club, per Spoon.

Is he down to a smaller club? Can't believe he'd be down to just a brace already.

pbmax
11-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Matthews might have been limited to walk through as a precaution OR there was simply not hitting/thudding/pads today.

pbmax
11-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 8m
#Packers: Don Barclay (knee) DNP; EDS (knee) LIM; Hayward DNP; Jolly DNP; Matthews (Full); Mike Neal DNP; Perry Foot/Ankle; Rodgers DNP

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 9m
MM: Talking with Flynn after installation, he felt comfortable particularly in the passing game. Run game has changed a lot.

MM: Mike Neal is kind of beat up. It's something that's bothering him. I'm going to take it light. Probably wont practice all week

THIS IS YOUR BODY ON HGH AND HORSE STEROIDS

MM: I didn't watch Flynn's video in Seattle or Oakland. When you have history, it's more about the workout. It's more of a medical hurdle

CONFIRMATION OF INJURY?

MM: Based on medical examination, they were fine with Flynn's arm

MM: Based on doctor's report, Matthews' club starts to decrease each week.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 6m
MM: We have a plan with Scott. There's a point where you leave the office. I sat with him 1-on-1 last night. Tells me he sleeps well

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 7m
MM on Tolzien work ethic: A point you need to leave the office. He tells me he sleeps well. ... He's going about it the right way.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 7m
MM: Couldn't say how long he'd be out. I know there's was testing done. It was a decision that needed to be made on Wallace

SOUNDS LIKE WALLACE A CASUALTY OF NEEDING A QB THIS WEEK

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 7m
MM: Don Barclay is better than we thought. He was waiting on brace to get here so hopefully he'll be able to do something tomorrow

SECRETLY, I AM HOPING BARCLAY CAN'T GO, NEWHOUSE STARTS AND WHIFFS. IN A CULLEN JENKINS FOR KGB LIKE MOVE, MCCARTHY SENDS SHERROD IN AT RT. I REALLY CANNOT CONSIDER MYSELF UNBIASED IN THIS ANYMORE.

MM: It's great to have Worthy and Richardson on the field. I know it was refreshing for both. Jerel jumped offsides twice so knew he's back

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 7m
McCarthy on Worthy/Richardson: Need to get through these next couple weeks, to make sure they're right. Go through the process.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 6m
McCarthy: Tackling is a technique. Footwork, approach, balance, Z's in the knees all part of tackling. We're not finishing the technique.

Z's IN THE KNEES IS THE NEW PAD LEVEL

MM: Tackling is technique. People think collision is most important. Its footwork and ability 2 create leverage, wrapping up part of failure

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 6m
McCarthy: We'll be in pads tomorrow. Go through tackling drills. Have expanded tackling drills last 3, 4 weeks.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 6m
McCarthy on Sherrod: Our padded work, we are maxing out the opportunities with our guys. ...He's coming along. He practiced a bunch today.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 6m
McCarthy says he has not talked to Finley. That's it. Off to the locker room. More later at http://jsonline.com . #packers

KYPack
11-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Put CMIII on the left for a week or so.

That way he can use the cast as a hammer and use his free hand more.

pbmax
11-13-2013, 03:30 PM
From Demovsky and ESPN:

Matthews practiced on Wednesday with a much smaller version of the cast on his right hand, and coach Mike McCarthy said his star pass rusher should be able to use that for Sunday's game at the Giants.

pbmax
11-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Tolzien Scouting Report:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/63032/evaluating-packers-qb-scott-tolzien

First off, Tolzien isn't a physically overwhelming specimen. He lacks a big arm, doesn't have outstanding size and isn't a high-end athlete for the position.

A mostly short to intermediate passer, we also know that Tolzien isn't bashful or “Just a Caretaker” at the position. He will attempt difficult throws, including back shoulder throws, and plays the game with swagger and confidence. Because he won't be able to fit the ball into tiny windows like Rodgers can, he is willing to pull the trigger. Tolzien probably will have some rough patches with defenders getting their hands on his passes, but I see his boldness as a positive, especially considering the strong set of weapons he is throwing to in Green Bay.

pbmax
11-13-2013, 04:19 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/231800801.html

Tolzien sleeping on couches in San Francisco.

Joemailman
11-13-2013, 04:33 PM
McGinn mentioned this week that Tolzien "throws a better ball than he did for the Badgers." I was actually surprised with the velocity on some of his throws. I'm actually hoping Tolzien will continue to be seen as a guy who lacks the arm to be a starter. He strikes as the king of guy with the ideal abilities to be a solid backup. Wouldn't mind him sticking around Green Bay for a long time as Aaron's backup. There's worse ways to make a living. Just ask Doug Pederson.

woodbuck27
11-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Put CMIII on the left for a week or so.

That way he can use the cast as a hammer and use his free hand more.

Injured hand outside...or on the LHS....makes good sense KY. Call that in to the Packers DC.

run pMc
11-14-2013, 08:44 AM
McGinn mentioned this week that Tolzien "throws a better ball than he did for the Badgers." I was actually surprised with the velocity on some of his throws. I'm actually hoping Tolzien will continue to be seen as a guy who lacks the arm to be a starter. He strikes as the king of guy with the ideal abilities to be a solid backup. Wouldn't mind him sticking around Green Bay for a long time as Aaron's backup. There's worse ways to make a living. Just ask Doug Pederson.

Mark Malone noted that his arm was clearly stronger than Wallace's, and his ball had decent zip (especially for a 3rd stringer). Sounded like his footwork was a work in progress and he didn't always make great reads, but he impressed the radio guys. Don't know what Larrivee and McCarren were saying; I could only get the nat'l broadcast team on Sunday for some reason.

I would expect that with time on a couple of teams he's had a chance to improve his arm strength and overall play. Could be a real keeper at backup, especially with time through McCarthy's supposedly good "QB school". It's fair to say he's already shown more than Graham Harrell did.

denverYooper
11-14-2013, 08:53 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/231800801.html

Tolzien sleeping on couches in San Francisco.

Sounds like a good match for a coach who designed plays while working nights in a tollbooth .

denverYooper
11-14-2013, 09:01 AM
This game is a tough figure. I saw 2 Giants games this year - vs. Denver and vs. Minny. They really didn't look very good in either, prone to the type of uneven play that the Packers sans Rodgers are putting out there.

One thing that makes me nervous: the G-men are probably going to find out early whether or not GB's safeties have shored up their issues with the deep ball. If GB can button those down, I like the Packers to win by a TD.

pbmax
11-14-2013, 10:17 AM
The problem playing the Giants is deep passing. The Giants can do it well and the Packers defend it like a grandmother on an icy sidewalk.

From the perspective of Packer D versus Giants O, its going to be a challenge similar to the Eagles.

denverYooper
11-14-2013, 10:38 AM
The problem playing the Giants is deep passing. The Giants can do it well and the Packers defend it like a grandmother on an icy sidewalk.

From the perspective of Packer D versus Giants O, its going to be a challenge similar to the Eagles.

That is indeed one thing they can still do and they'll go after it. Eli has put up some INTs doing so though, so hopefully the back line can hang on to a couple this week.

Green Bay is 9th in 20+ yard passes, NYG is 10th. But that'll probably flip while Rodgers is still out.

Old School
11-14-2013, 10:50 AM
My 6 year old granddaughter's comment in song when AR went down. "From the ashes of disaster, grow the roses of success. (from Chitty Chitty bang bang)

denverYooper
11-14-2013, 11:00 AM
My 6 year old granddaughter's comment in song when AR went down. "From the ashes of disaster, grow the roses of success. (from Chitty Chitty bang bang)

There are many reasons that this could work out well for the Packers. It could be the catalyst for them to address issues that Rodgers's play has masked, or caused them to otherwise overlook, and that will make them a stronger team. Longer term, it's probably going to make them a better overall team.

The only problem right now is that I'm not convinced they'll be able to fix those issues in season.

woodbuck27
11-14-2013, 11:40 AM

To date can you realistically compare the Eagles 'O' to the Giants 'O'; even allowing for the fact the Giants passing attack has improved of late.

The Philly 'O' is ranked 4th in the NFL in total yards/ game @ 413.4 Y/G. Their ranked 6th in scoring points @ 25.2 Pts/game.

The New York GIANTS have the 23 Ranked 'O' in total yards/game @ 319.2 Y/G. The Giants are ranked 30th in scoring points @ 18.3 Pts/game.

The Packers Offense:

The Green Bay Packers are ranked 3rd in Yards/game at 420 Y/G and in scoring ranked 7th @ 27.2 Pts/G

I see concern in the Packers 'D' RE: the pass.

** The Packers Pass 'D' is ranked (21st) in the NFL giving up 246.1 yards/game and a total of 17 TD's.

** It has given up 32 X 20+ yard plays (T-17th)and 7 X 40+ yard plays (T-18th).

That's a total of 39 Big Plays against the Packer Defense !

** It has a NFL worst 3 Picks.

The real concern in my mind is the New York GIANTS 'D'. Our offense has to play at it's full potential.

Whereas the NY GIANTS pass defense is ranked 11th in the NFL and giving up 226.9 Y/G.

The Giants Passing 'D' stat's show:

14 TD's against; 8 Picks; 25 X 20+ and 2 X 40+....or 27 Big Plays against it's pass defense.

The New York GIANTS rush is way down this season with only 14 SACKS compared to the Packers 27 SACKS.

Don't count the Packers out of this game Packer fans. If our team really wants this game in New York on Sunday it has to come to play and get it done. The Packer players have to do a gut check and play with a sense of urgency.

GO PACKERS !

pbmax
11-14-2013, 11:44 AM
The Giants offense has struggled but it has been better of late. But my point was not that the Giants are as good as the Eagles on O. Its that their strength (deep passing) probably is leveraged against the Packers worst weakness on D: back line pass defense.

Late in the game, if the Giants can run like the Eagles did, then I will be surprised.

denverYooper
11-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Some numbers on Packer pass defense, order is descending by year. I just plugged numbers into this (http://www.primecomputing.com/), so the rating number comes out about 2 points low per year.

One thing jumps out for this year, besides their PRA being almost 20 points higher -- their % of TDs allowed is way up and % of INTs are way down.

Comp.% Yards/Att. TD% Int.% NFL QB Rating
60.396039603960396 7.31023102310231 5.6105610561056105 0.9900990099009901 97.4491199119912
55.1056338028169 6.147887323943662 4.225352112676056 3.169014084507042 74.50117370892019
61.224489795918366 7.529042386185243 4.552590266875981 4.866562009419153 79.37271062271061
56.166982922201136 5.895635673624288 3.0360531309297913 4.554079696394687 64.59914611005694

It didn't feel that way until the Eagles game, but so far they are looking to be the worst pass defense units that GB has thrown out there.

Fritz
11-14-2013, 01:36 PM
I wonder if not having Hayward will actually help. If Hayward was playing the slot and Williams outside, perhaps moving Williams back inside will help.

I'm grasping at straws, maybe, but I am really needing a Packer win on Sunday.

I've got to think MM's verbal steamrolling will help, somehow, someway. Capers is a teacher, through and through, and this unit's done been taught. They need a motivator.

woodbuck27
11-14-2013, 02:14 PM
I wonder if not having Hayward will actually help. If Hayward was playing the slot and Williams outside, perhaps moving Williams back inside will help.

I'm grasping at straws, maybe, but I am really needing a Packer win on Sunday.

I've got to think MM's verbal steamrolling will help, somehow, someway. Capers is a teacher, through and through, and this unit's done been taught. They need a motivator.

All the motivation they need is that this is a very important game not to lose.

If you analyze these two teams in terms of 'O' and 'D' and scoring the Packers come away as a solid favourite with a huge 9.3 point margin taking 3 Pts' away for being on the road.

For the life of me I don't get Vegas making the GIANTS 5 point favourites today.

For all you who bet take the Packers and those 5 points.

GO PACK GO !

denverYooper
11-14-2013, 02:27 PM
"JPP not optimistic about Packers game": http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/32007/jpp-not-optimistic-about-packers-game

Guiness
11-14-2013, 02:30 PM
The Giants offense has struggled but it has been better of late. But my point was not that the Giants are as good as the Eagles on O. Its that their strength (deep passing) probably is leveraged against the Packers worst weakness on D: back line pass defense.

Late in the game, if the Giants can run like the Eagles did, then I will be surprised.

You wouldn't know from Eli's fantasy numbers *grumble grumble*

denverYooper
11-14-2013, 02:31 PM
STATS ‏@STATS_NFL 30m
#Giants are only team w/o a 20-yard run this year and top rusher Brandon Jacobs has 154 yards, placing him behind 11 quarterbacks. #Packers

Teamcheez1
11-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Hayward now expected to be out several weeks. I say it's time to IR him and move on for this season. I don't see him contributing much even of he comes back for the last couple of games.

Pugger
11-14-2013, 03:23 PM

The Giants' rushing yardage as a team is 23 yards more than Lacy has all by his lonesome.

woodbuck27
11-14-2013, 03:23 PM
"JPP not optimistic about Packers game": http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/32007/jpp-not-optimistic-about-packers-game

I made note of this:

Re: Giants 'D'

" And the defense on the whole is rounding into form. The Giants haven't given up a second-half touchdown in four games in a row, for the first time since 2007. And they have held their past three opponents to 213 total yards or less -- the last NFL team to do so was the Houston Texans in 2011."

run pMc
11-14-2013, 03:41 PM
IIRC David Wilson is on IR and Brandon Jacobs is hurt.
Andre Brown came off the injury list last week and had something like 30 rushes for 110 yards. They'll try to pound the rock some...not sure how much though.
GB's defense should be motivated...I think they'll play that way.

Tolzien has to present some threat of a passing game (at least 55% comp for 200+yds) without becoming a turnover machine. If the WR's can break some tackles that will help.
OL has to get healthy and run block for Lacy
The DL -- w/ help from Matthews and Neal (who needs a good game to avoid morphing into Erik Walden II) -- has to pressure Eli into mistakes
Secondary has to play better -- especially the safeties.

I expect the Packers, desperate and on the road, to have a good shot at winning:
The Giants started out 0-4 before beating the Josh Freeman Vikings, the Matt Barkley Eagles, and the Terrelle Pryor Raiders.

denverYooper
11-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Clay to play with a fiberglass cast that supposedly will give him some use of his fingers:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Clay-Matthews-is-done-with-the-club/e2316eb1-d12f-44f5-9302-986280331498

Getting better all the time...

pbmax
11-15-2013, 11:21 AM
GiantsWFAN ‏@giantswfan 3m
All Giants including JPP and Jacobs in pads today - except for Webster

woodbuck27
11-15-2013, 11:53 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview?gameId=331117019

Packers-Giants Preview

" Green Bay may want to focus more on a rushing attack that is sixth in the league with 143.1 yards per game. Rookie Eddie Lacy is eighth in the NFL with 669 yards on the ground.

The Giants have also made a conscious effort to run the ball more by topping 30 carries in every game of this win streak. They were boosted by Andre Brown's 115 yards with a score last Sunday in his season debut after being out with a broken leg.

Brown has scored a touchdown in six straight games.

"Don't look back," he said. "If I looked back at all the injuries I had, I probably wouldn't be here right now. Just move forward and keep working."

The emphasis on the run could be because Eli Manning has a passer rating of 68.5 for his worst mark since his rookie season. Manning has 11 touchdown passes and a league-high 16 interceptions.

"It hasn't happened to the degree we want it to at this point in time, but we're going to need this aspect of our offensive team as we go forward," said coach Tom Coughlin about the Giants' passing attack. .."

pbmax
11-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Thursday

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 22h
#Packers injuries: Barclay DNP; EDS LIM; Hayward DNP; Jolly DNP; Matthews FULL; Mulumba LIM; Neal DNP; Perry DNP; Pickett LIM; Rodgers DNP

Neal is getting week off and is likely to play. Pickett is nursing a knee injury.

Friday: Oh-Oh

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 1m
Sam Shields in sweats observing only at #Packers practice Fri. Don Barclay not around early. Mike Neal practiced. Dietrich-Smith seems OK.

Difference of opinion on EDS and WesHod has Jolly back.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 13m
#Packers practice: Neal and Jolly returned but no Shields, Perry, Mulumba, EDS, Barclay, Rodgers or Hayward

EDS second source said he is getting break. but with Practice Squadder Gerhart getting his snaps and not Lang, guess is that this is just a pre-caution.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1m
No Rodgers, Hayward, Shields, Perry, Mulumba, EDS, Barclay today for #Packers. Jolly and Neal practicing.

denverYooper
11-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Friday: Oh-Oh

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 1m
Sam Shields in sweats observing only at #Packers practice Fri. Don Barclay not around early. Mike Neal practiced. Dietrich-Smith seems OK.

Hopefully they're just resting his legs in hopes that he can play CB and S at the same time.

woodbuck27
11-15-2013, 12:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9977628/is-eli-manning-seeing-ghosts-new-york-giants

Is Eli seeing ghosts in the pocket?

Eli Manning has been hit hard this year, and it might have him feeling haunted

By Johnette Howard | ESPNNewYork.com ... Updated: November 14, 2013, 8:57 PM ET

" Eli Manning has relied on toughness and an aversion to unnecessary risks to build the longest active consecutive start streak among NFL quarterbacks, at 155 games. And yet, in the midst of a down season in which his 16 interceptions also lead the league, the way Manning turned away from a blitz coming at him last Sunday and threw his third pick-six of the season -- this one against the Oakland Raiders -- revived a growing suspicion.

Has Manning been hit so much this year that he's getting gun shy about the pass-rush pressure? Or worse, is Manning flinching and feeling ghosts around him when there are none? "

Please CLICK on the LINK above for the entire story.

GO PACK GO !

denverYooper
11-15-2013, 12:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9977628/is-eli-manning-seeing-ghosts-new-york-giants

Is Eli seeing ghosts in the pocket?

Eli Manning has been hit hard this year, and it might have him feeling haunted

By Johnette Howard | ESPNNewYork.com ... Updated: November 14, 2013, 8:57 PM ET

" Eli Manning has relied on toughness and an aversion to unnecessary risks to build the longest active consecutive start streak among NFL quarterbacks, at 155 games. And yet, in the midst of a down season in which his 16 interceptions also lead the league, the way Manning turned away from a blitz coming at him last Sunday and threw his third pick-six of the season -- this one against the Oakland Raiders -- revived a growing suspicion.

Has Manning been hit so much this year that he's getting gun shy about the pass-rush pressure? Or worse, is Manning flinching and feeling ghosts around him when there are none? "

Please CLICK on the LINK above for the entire story.

GO PACK GO !

GB pass rush vs Eli -- The resistible force meets the movable object.

denverYooper
11-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Here's the thing about both: Eli has the tools of an elite QB and GB's front 7 has enough pieces that they should be able to get a more consistent pass rush. For whatever reason, both have been beat up lately and unable to put it all together this year.

Guiness
11-15-2013, 12:48 PM
EDS second source said he is getting break. but with Practice Squadder Gerhart getting his snaps and not Lang, guess is that this is just a pre-caution.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1m
No Rodgers, Hayward, Shields, Perry, Mulumba, EDS, Barclay today for #Packers. Jolly and Neal practicing.

Jolly seems to be a full participant then? That's good news.

How important has that guy been to the team this year? I hope he gets some recognition from the league that turned its back on him for his comeback.

woodbuck27
11-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Jolly seems to be a full participant then? That's good news.

How important has that guy been to the team this year? I hope he gets some recognition from the league that turned its back on him for his comeback.

Green Bay Packer Stat's

http://www.packers.com/team/statistics.html

Defense

Player - Tot - Solo - Assist - Sack - F

A.J. Hawk 74 44 30 3.0 0
Sam Shields 40 32 8 0.0 0
M.D. Jennings 38 31 7 1.0 0
Brad Jones 36 29 7 1.0 1
Tramon Williams 42 27 15 2.5 1
Morgan Burnett 38 22 16 0.0 0
Davon House 24 21 3 1.0 0
Micah Hyde 26 19 7 1.0 1
Jamari Lattimore 27 18 9 2.0 0
Mike Neal 22 17 5 1.0 0
Nick Perry 19 16 3 3.0 2
Clay Matthews 20 15 5 3.0 2
Jerron McMillian 15 15 0 0.0 0
Chris Banjo 12 10 2 0.0 0

B.J. Raji 12 10 2 0.0 0
Mike Daniels 13 8 5 4.5 0

Johnny Jolly 15 8 7 1.0 0

Nate Palmer 14 8 6 0.0 0

Ryan Pickett 9 6 3 0.0 0
Brandon Bostick 5 5 0 0.0 0
Casey Hayward 8 5 3 0.0 0
Datone Jones 6 5 1 3.0 0
Andy Mulumba 12 4 8 0.0 0
Johnathan Franklin 3 3 0 0.0 0
Tim Masthay 3 3 0 0.0 0
Sam Barrington 2 2 0 0.0 0
Jarrett Boykin 2 2 0 0.0 0
Jarrett Bush 2 2 0 0.0 0
Randall Cobb 2 2 0 0.0 1
Jermichael Finley 1 1 0 0.0 0
Rob Francois 2 1 1 0.0 1
Chris Harper 1 1 0 0.0 0
Eddie Lacy 1 1 0 0.0 0
T.J. Lang 1 1 0 0.0 0
Andrew Quarless 1 1 0 0.0 0
Jake Stoneburner 1 1 0 0.0 0
C.J. Wilson 3 1 2 0.0 0

TOTAL 565 410 155 27 9

OPPONENTS TOTAL 619 454 165 23 10

Interceptions ** DB

Player - Int - Yds - Yds/Int - Long - TD

** Davon House 1 11 11.0 11 0

Mike Neal 1 5 5.0 5 0

** Sam Shields 1 1 1.0 1 0

TOTAL 3 17 5.7 11 0

OPPONENTS TOTAL 7 109 15.6 76 0

George Cumby
11-15-2013, 01:50 PM
STATS ‏@STATS_NFL 30m
#Giants are only team w/o a 20-yard run this year and top rusher Brandon Jacobs has 154 yards, placing him behind 11 quarterbacks. #Packers

This means they gash us for 190 on the ground.

denverYooper
11-15-2013, 03:03 PM
This means they gash us for 190 on the ground.

Isn't that just the way it seems to go?

Iron Mike
11-16-2013, 07:00 PM
The Giants' rushing yardage as a team is 23 yards more than Lacy has all by his lonesome.

I'd prefer it if the rest of you from now on refer to Eddie Lacy as "The Bama Hammer."

http://alabamafootballpodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Bama-Hammer.png

http://cdn.wrn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Eddie-Lacy.jpg

Freak Out
11-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Giants have won what....3 in a row? Hope Stubby and crew work some magic....not feeling good about this.