PDA

View Full Version : Is the NFL Ready for the Air Raid Offense?

woodbuck27
11-16-2013, 06:18 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1850629-is-the-nfl-ready-for-the-air-raid-offense?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Is the NFL Ready for the Air Raid Offense?

By Michael Schottey ... (NFL National Lead Writer) on November 14, 2013

" Get ready, 'cause here it comes."

Please click on the LINK above for a good long read. What do you think? :???:

Comment woodbuck27:

Maybe like I did you might enjoy reading this informative article on a newer form of offense that's creeping into prominence in the NFL and is a staple of some more prominent College teams.

GO PACK GO !

KYPack
11-16-2013, 10:50 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1850629-is-the-nfl-ready-for-the-air-raid-offense?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Is the NFL Ready for the Air Raid Offense?

By Michael Schottey ... (NFL National Lead Writer) on November 14, 2013

" Get ready, 'cause here it comes."

Please click on the LINK above for a good long read. What do you think? :???:

Comment woodbuck27:

Maybe like I did you might enjoy reading this informative article on a newer form of offense that's creeping into prominence in the NFL and is a staple of some more prominent College teams.

I've seen the full blown Air Raid offense when Kentucky ran it with Hal Mumme and Tim Couch was the triggerman. I'm still trying to figure it out, but even I know more about it than the guy who wrote this article.

The biggest flaw I see in these bust out offenses is you put the other teams offense back on the field too quickly.

It's entertaining, but a scary system all told.

Guiness
11-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Saying Air Raid is in the NFL because some of the routes it uses are also used in the NFL is like saying my dog is part purebred because it has four legs. A slant/cross and a double crossing route they renamed a 'mesh'? Wow, innovative.

Not sure what they were running in Kentucky or what made it entertaining, but this article did nothing to convince me there's anything there.

KYPack
11-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Saying Air Raid is in the NFL because some of the routes it uses are also used in the NFL is like saying my dog is part purebred because it has four legs. A slant/cross and a double crossing route they renamed a 'mesh'? Wow, innovative.

Not sure what they were running in Kentucky or what made it entertaining, but this article did nothing to convince me there's anything there.

It was a go-go, pass offense with the odd run/screen mixed in to keep the D honest.

It was cool to watch, for a couple games.

Essentially, the offense would be a fan pattern on one side with 3 -4 options opening quickly. The QB would read those routes or take a shallow cross coming from the other side. They would pass like crazy and go for it on 4th and short over their own forty.

it was a hoot, but only a few teams copied it.

It helped Kentucky out, Mumme got fired for all kinds of NCAA violations, not for a bad record. The alumni wanted to go back to a traditional coach, to get some rest.

pbmax
11-16-2013, 03:32 PM

You can have a spectacular burnout and still have a mighty influence in the game. Everyone likes to say the Run and Shoot is dead, but Run and Shoot components are in every team's arsenal. And teams solve some of the familiar run and shoot personnel issues (few TEs and FBs for short yardage) by employing six O lineman and former basketball players at TE (Gates, Finley, Graham). Lets you block and still run 4 wide even with your TE in the game.

Those Air Raid concepts have already penetrated the NFL. Its only in the last 6 years or so that NFL teams run so many WR screens to combat off coverage. And the Packers use 4 verticals all the time.

Guiness
11-16-2013, 05:05 PM
The Run and Shoot is absolutely part of the NFL game - I see a lot of evidence of that. Even something as simple as putting a WR in motion to see if it's man or zone coverage.

4 verticals to spread the defense horizontally - is that a concept of Air Raid or the Spread O? Maybe one and the same.

pbmax
11-16-2013, 06:47 PM
The Run and Shoot is absolutely part of the NFL game - I see a lot of evidence of that. Even something as simple as putting a WR in motion to see if it's man or zone coverage.

4 verticals to spread the defense horizontally - is that a concept of Air Raid or the Spread O? Maybe one and the same.

Air Raid was spread out to pass. Urban Meyer, Rich Rod and Chris Ault went shotgun, pistol and read option to run. Emphasis was more at odds than formations.

Also, don't mean to suggest Air Raid is the only offense (or first) to run four verticals, but the design was to attack in a way that gave the QB a quick read and easy throw.