PDA

View Full Version : Ball in Raji's court

Tony Oday
11-16-2013, 11:58 PM
http://m.jsonline.com/packers#/articles/232226061

Think he will take it?

HarveyWallbangers
11-17-2013, 02:24 AM
It should be re-worded "Packers really want to resign Raji, but the ball is in Raji's court."

Patler
11-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Interesting that the offer was made "several months ago" according to the srticle.
Also interesting that Raji has "turned it down more than once".

I wonder if the Packers will tag him if no agreement is reached?

denverYooper
11-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Several months ago. Hmmmmmmmm.

I like this quote: "Damn right he should," the scout said. "For $8 million he should be signing. Who is his agent?"

But then, maybe he's waiting for Minnesota to overpay him.

King Friday
11-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Most guys want a chance at FA, even if their current team puts up a fair offer. There are a lot of really dumb teams out there that overspend for guys for various reasons.

Joemailman
11-17-2013, 08:00 AM
We don't know how much guaranteed money is in the offer, and that might be the hangup. The Viking scenario could be a real one though. Kevin Williams is 33 years old, and their run defense hasn't been the same since Fat Pat retired.

denverYooper
11-17-2013, 08:20 AM
We don't know how much guaranteed money is in the offer, and that might be the hangup. The Viking scenario could be a real one though. Kevin Williams is 33 years old, and their run defense hasn't been the same since Fat Pat retired.

Yeah. I was half joking about the Vikings but it would not surprise me one bit to see them try to get Raji given their need and their affinity for Packers players.

red
11-17-2013, 09:03 AM
good god, i hate he doesn't take it and goes somewhere else. no way is he worth 8 million a year IMO

in fact, if this offer was made in the pre season, or off season, then based on his play i would hipe the number is coming down just like jennings offer did this year

now we might have a reason for his shitty play this year, if he felt insulted my the deal or at least unimpressed, then he could already have one foot out the door with thoughts of future dollar signs dancing through his head

KalamazooPackerFan
11-17-2013, 09:15 AM
No way do we need to be putting that kind of money into a 3-4 defensive lineman who is inconsistent at best. Let him walk.

denverYooper
11-17-2013, 09:23 AM
If he would have crushed McCown in the endzone for a safety when given the chance, then his number might have gone up in Packer fan estimation. But so far, no dice.

Though I do think he's had a solid, if unspectacular, season.

pbmax
11-17-2013, 09:49 AM
I like the guy a lot. Even more after reading this. And Dunn is a good agent.

Sounds like the market has got to walk Raji back to the Packers because he isn't coming back unless there is nowhere else to go.

When he was at nose the run defense started its decline. He has really changed his approach this year, though he was freelancing again last week.

Going to miss him but its not the best fit for the team. Hard to replace that talent though.

Fritz
11-17-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm with PB. The guy has talent, but I still maintain that Raji really wants to be in a system where he can jet in and get sacks and make flash plays. Talented guy in a system that doesn't quite suit him.

For all his talk about wanting to stay with the Pack (this past spring, I believe, those usual articles were written), it looks like he's after dollars and a different defensive system. I'll be surprised if he's back.

Some one (named Minnesota) will throw a lot of money at him.

This means Shields should be able to be locked up, and maybe a couple lower level guys, too.

red
11-17-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm with PB. The guy has talent, but I still maintain that Raji really wants to be in a system where he can jet in and get sacks and make flash plays. Talented guy in a system that doesn't quite suit him.

For all his talk about wanting to stay with the Pack (this past spring, I believe, those usual articles were written), it looks like he's after dollars and a different defensive system. I'll be surprised if he's back.

Some one (named Minnesota) will throw a lot of money at him.

This means Shields should be able to be locked up, and maybe a couple lower level guys, too.

does he fit in minnesota? a small fat guy with next to no pass rushing ability isn't something that everyone is going to want

19 sacks in 8 years of college and pro football = not worth 8 million a year

Patler
11-17-2013, 10:13 AM
I have always felt that Raji at least wants to try to find a team that is a better fit for him. He might find the market weak and ultimately end up back in GB, but I think he wants to look for a team playing a scheme he can be showcased in. I can't really blame him for that. If that is the case, you might see him leave for an equal offer somewhere else.

red
11-17-2013, 10:17 AM
I have always felt that Raji at least wants to try to find a team that is a better fit for him. He might find the market weak and ultimately end up back in GB, but I think he wants to look for a team playing a scheme he can be showcased in. I can't really blame him for that. If that is the case, you might see him leave for an equal offer somewhere else.

what kind of defense would showcase his kind of talent patler? or his limited talent

IMO he's a one trick pony, he's a fat run stuffer, not much more. he had one freak season were he had 6.5 sacks, he hasn't come close to showing any kind of pass ruching ability other then that one year. take away 2010 and he has 4 career sacks in 4 seasons

bobblehead
11-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Is this James Jones or Cullen Jenkins. I think the reason this was leaked (by the Packers) is because Raji is going to FA and he won't find $8 million a year. Will he be JJ and swallow his pride and come back for $6.7 or will he be Cullen and get pissy and sign for $6.4 somewhere else? TT doesn't want to hear the same crap he heard with Jenkins..."why didn't we match that offer?" To this day I believe we offered equal or better to Jenkins, but he wanted a HUGE payday and was pissed the packers didn't give it to him.

TT wants everyone to know that if Raji signs for less than $8 million its by his choice, not because TT didn't offer it.

red
11-17-2013, 12:22 PM
i think its more like jennings

jennings was offered a very nice deal by green bay, he rejected it, then his family came out bashing TT and the Packers for being so damn cheap. he gets no attention in free agency. gets pissed at GB for offering him less money then they did earlier in the year. and then signs a contract with a lot of funny money at the end of it that he will never see for the only other team that wanted him, to try and save some face

i think we're going down that same road with Raji. TT offers him a big money contract that i think is waaaay more then he should get, and BJ rejected it thinking he can somehow get more

i think this story coming out is coming straight from the front office. this is TT telling the fans "hey, i'm trying to retain our own guys by offering a lot more money then they're actually worth. they're just delusional and want more". so now if raji does sign somewhere else for, lets say 6 million a year, the fans can't be mad at TT, because we all know he offered him top dollar.

personally, i'd be pissed if we resigned raji to 8 million a year. i don't even think he's worth half that to be honest

Patler
11-17-2013, 12:27 PM
what kind of defense would showcase his kind of talent patler? or his limited talent

IMO he's a one trick pony, he's a fat run stuffer, not much more. he had one freak season were he had 6.5 sacks, he hasn't come close to showing any kind of pass ruching ability other then that one year. take away 2010 and he has 4 career sacks in 4 seasons

It's not that I think he has that ability, but I believe that he thinks he can find a better scheme to play in. It was evident in his comments and the way he played the first few years, not so evident the last couple. However, reading between the lines of his comments in this article, I think he still believes it.

For negotiations with the Packers, all that matters is if he believes it. As I said in my comment, he may find that the market isn't what he expects, much like Jenkins, Jones and that WR that went purple.

Pugger
11-17-2013, 02:05 PM
No way do we need to be putting that kind of money into a 3-4 defensive lineman who is inconsistent at best. Let him walk.

Only until we have someone to replace him with. Pickett and Jolly are not spring chickens. Can Worthy take over for Raji if BJ walks? I'm guessing Raji will find out the market for his services won't be better than what TT already offered and he'll return ala James Jones. If not we'll have to draft another DT this spring.

Guiness
11-17-2013, 03:13 PM
I can't believe he didn't take $8million, and I'm betting TT et al can't either. That's pretty close to the tag number ($8.45M). I'm thinking there's some truth to the rumours that have been around for a while, that GB is just too small a city for Raji. I can't see him getting that money elsewhere, he should know that the Packers tend to actually pay the money they sign players for (unless your name is Hawk), and that the tag is available and if GB truly thinks he's worth 8, they'll pay him the 8.45 and then there's a chance he gets hurt and it done.

Guiness
11-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Only until we have someone to replace him with. Pickett and Jolly are not spring chickens. Can Worthy take over for Raji if BJ walks? I'm guessing Raji will find out the market for his services won't be better than what TT already offered and he'll return ala James Jones. If not we'll have to draft another DT this spring.

I think this is different than the JJ offer. GB offered him a pretty low contract, and it was no surprise he shopped around. When he found out that was the market, he wasn't miffed and came back. Jennings and Jenkins (and now Raji?) have much higher opinions of themselves and got their shorts in a knot.

Rutnstrut
11-17-2013, 06:45 PM

Once again I agree with Red, Raji is over rated, let him go.

red
11-17-2013, 06:47 PM
after todays game i wouldn't offer him 3.5 million a year

Smidgeon
11-18-2013, 11:43 AM
I like the guy a lot. Even more after reading this. And Dunn is a good agent.

Sounds like the market has got to walk Raji back to the Packers because he isn't coming back unless there is nowhere else to go.

When he was at nose the run defense started its decline. He has really changed his approach this year, though he was freelancing again last week.

Going to miss him but its not the best fit for the team. Hard to replace that talent though.

Besides Pickett, who on the roster can even play nose? If Pickett is close to decline or being done, don't you have to retain Raji (to the best of the organization's ability)?

And wasn't the nose play the year people (including personnel execs if these articles are to be believed) were raving about him? Was he freelancing too much then or was the run decline due in part (or in most) to pieces around him?

call_me_ishmael
11-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Definitely sounds like a Packer leak.

This guy is not that good in my opinion. You look at a guy like the big fella on the Pats and there is no doubt who the better player is. I have to imagine they're asked to do relatively similar things as fat boy pluggers in a 3-4. One is dominant and deserves the big bucks, the other is riddled with potential but is definitely not dominant.

pbmax
11-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Besides Pickett, who on the roster can even play nose? If Pickett is close to decline or being done, don't you have to retain Raji (to the best of the organization's ability)?

And wasn't the nose play the year people (including personnel execs if these articles are to be believed) were raving about him? Was he freelancing too much then or was the run decline due in part (or in most) to pieces around him?

Boyd is the next, most likely nose after Pickett and Raji. But if BJ doesn't come back. Pickett will get another deal. Or they sign someone off the street.

The D line had a good year rushing the passer when he was nose, but there was a definite falloff in run defense from the year before. He CAN play it, but sometimes he is not unmovable like Pickett used to be. Raji gets washed out more frequently.

red
11-18-2013, 06:58 PM
could jolly play the nose? he has the size, and he would be a lot cheaper to resign

and i don't see much of a difference between jolly and raji at this point

mission
11-18-2013, 07:20 PM
He's not coming back. He wants to play in a 4-3 so he can be like Warren Sapp. He's hinted at that since he was drafted.