PDA

View Full Version : Grossman Struggles Again

Packnut
08-26-2006, 07:06 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-bear26.html

Gotta love it! A full blown QB controversey. Best thing about it is Rexie will play every game looking over his shoulder and that's bad for him and his team, but great for us................

BallHawk
08-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Dear Football Gods,

Please let Grossman fight through the boos and start on opening day against the Packers. Griese is a much better QB and Grossman starting would increase our chances of winning significantly. And protect him from rushing linebackers and obese defensive-lineman till week 17, so he may once again, feel the wrath of the Packers Defense.

Amen,
Ballhawk

Packnut
08-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Another little problem for the Bears is Benson and how the vets hate him. I would say this could be a fragmented football team...........

mmmdk
08-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Get ready for some 'Griese lightning' :lol: Neither QB really scares me but Griese is the better of the two. Also, Arizona shredded the Bears defense through the air - as did Packers with Favre last season (only turnovers killed Packers). I'd test that Bears defense in week one - air attack then pound the pigskin to victory. NFC North looks weak, Minnesota or Green Bay could unseat the Bears. Not at all impossible. I don't have mucho faith in Detroit winning the North yet they could be descent (at best).

FritzDontBlitz
08-26-2006, 11:29 AM
i watched most of the bears/arizona game last night. chicago played their starters on both sides of the ball until late into the 3rd quarter. the vaunted bears' defensive line got banged up early: alex brown dislocated his shoulder after getting rolled in the open field during chicago's first defensive series. alex boone got nicked up a bit too but returned. the bears defense was giving up the cutback lane all game for huge runs to 2nd year rb arrington. kurt warner and matt leinart had little trouble finding open receivers in the bears secondary. the bears were able to mount some pressure and a a few sacks, but kept giving up the big play on 3rd and long. the bears offense had NINE penalties in the first half. thomas jones played the first couple of series, but didn't get many yards. rex grossman started out hot - he completed his first 5 passes to get them into field goal range to go up 3-0 on their first possession - but didn't do much after that. grossman had one pass picked off and almost had another picked but replay ruled it a trap and not a catch by the lb.

by the way. the cards had a backup kicker named nick novak who looked good kicking a 50 yard fg. he's backing up neil rackers but probably won't be around when week one starts.

Zool
08-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Griese has been going against all #2 and #3 defenses. He's maybe the second coming of Jim McMahon but thats about it.

Partial
08-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Griese has been going against all #2 and #3 defenses. He's maybe the second coming of Jim McMahon but thats about it.

I personally really like Griese. He's good enough not to lose and the Bears have the defense and running game for that philosophy to shine.

Scott Campbell
08-26-2006, 12:20 PM

The second coming of Jim McMahon would be a nice upgrade for a lot of NFL teams.

Bretsky
08-26-2006, 12:36 PM

Griese is the perfect QB to lead a bland offense that has a dominating defense. He doesn't make many mistakes. Trent Dilfer with more talent. Grossman is erratic up to this point.

FritzDontBlitz
08-26-2006, 12:50 PM
i think both are mediocre qb's even at heir best, forced to throw to a subpar group of receivers. muhsin muhammad is big and gets open but he doesn't get much yardage after the catch. but, recognizing the fact that the bears get most of their wins through their opportunistic defense and special teams they just need an average offense to be a 10 win team every year. the one thing i was looking at was the protection: both grossman and greise seemed to have adequate time to throw. grossman seemed to be focusing most of his effort on getting the ball to muhsin muhammad while greise tried to spread it around a bit.

VegasPackFan
08-26-2006, 01:12 PM
I have a bet with a Bear fan co-worker that Grossman will get injured (bad enough to miss a start) within the first four games. If he struggles, the Bears may use an "injury" for a reason to sit him a week or two and everyone saves face.

Oh - and I win double the bet if the Packers are the ones to put him out.

LOL

FavreChild
08-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Rexy will probably pull a leg hair to satisfy your scenario, Vegas.

It doesn't matter one bit who their lousy QB is - their offense is still anemic. The QB "controversy" (which no doubt will continue throughout the whole season) will just be a red herring so that the fans can have some kind of excuse for their continued lousy offensive output.

Aw. a cryin' shame, too.

BallHawk
08-26-2006, 05:06 PM
And the RB controversy is causing problems, too.

Scott Campbell
08-26-2006, 05:18 PM
And the RB controversy is causing problems, too.

I think there must still be fallout from the Ron Rivera plan to cover Steve Smith one on one in their 05 Grand Finale.

And then there's the pending assault charges against their prized free agent.

While they could still have a very good season, it's not like the stars have been aligning perfectly for them this offseason.

pack4to84
08-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Get ready for some 'Griese lightning' Laughing Neither QB really scares me but Griese is the better of the two. Also, Arizona shredded the Bears defense through the air - as did Packers with Favre last season (only turnovers killed Packers). I'd test that Bears defense in week one - air attack then pound the pigskin to victory. NFC North looks weak, Minnesota or Green Bay could unseat the Bears. Not at all impossible. I don't have mucho faith in Detroit winning the North yet they could be descent (at best).

Adversity doesn't build character. It reveals character; quote by Lombardi.
Arizona was running stretch plays that where getting very good yardage against
this so call great Bears D. Arizona just kept running the same play through out the game getting good yds per run.

GrnBay007
08-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Just saw some interviews on ESPN. It almost seems like Lovie is in a pissin match with "everyone else" over this quarterback situation. Wonder when he will actually consider starting Griese. Griese is of course being very humble when comments come up about his preseason stats so far....saying he's playing against 2nd string D. Grossman is ....well, really, what can he say?

Homer Jay
08-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Let's hope Lovie sticks to his guns and stays with Grossman for at least another month. Hang in there Lovie, don't be pushed around.

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 07:10 AM
I hope ya'll have this pegged. I think Gross is a franchise QB just shaking off some rust - I hope to the football gods I have this sussed badly!

Bretsky
08-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Tarlem's view if Rex Grossman = Tank's view of Joey Harrington ??? :wink:

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Tarlem's view if Rex Grossman = Tank's view of Joey Harrington ??? :wink:

Guilty as charged, but not cause I know something á la Tank. I just thought he flashed it when he came out and was handicapped by being brittle.

I am not claiming we should trade A-Rod, I am just saying there's something there that I fear.

What do I know - I am the resident idiot crazy rat!