PDA

View Full Version : Studs and Duds - Week 11: Packers @ Giants

run pMc
11-17-2013, 08:38 PM
A few suggestions...add your own.

Studs:
Jordy and Boykin had good games. Boykin is a keeper.
Tramon played probably his best game of the season.
Crosby drilled a 57 yarder!

Duds:
3rd down killed the O and the D
Micah Hyde got an education
Both lines got handled

Joemailman
11-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Brad Jones had 11 tackles and a sack.

Morgan Burnett didn't make a play on the ball.

digitaldean
11-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Studs:
Quarless one handed grab, Jordy adjusting to the 2nd half long pass from Tolzien. Looked overthrown and he looked in perfect position.
Crosby on the long kick.
Tolzien on the deep ball.
MM's fake punt call, though it didn't work. Worth the try given field position.

Duds:
NO PASS RUSH WITHOUT A BLITZ. Sounds like the last 2 years.
Tolzien locking on to the receiver (Beason pick) and lack of field awareness on the last INT.
TWO too many men in huddle to start the game? Coaching staff blunders on both sides of ball.
Marshall Newhouse...'nuff said.
MM's persistence in trying to run Lacy when he was getting stuffed. Tolzien is great at the deep ball (but not so good in the short/intermediate stuff).

digitaldean
11-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Brad Jones had 11 tackles and a sack.

Morgan Burnett didn't make a play on the ball.

Burnett earned the term "Nothing Special" in my book. He has flat out sucked a good chunk of this season.

pbmax
11-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Bostick had a nice catch and YAC. Then he left the field. I hope he came back in. Thought I saw him on KO Return later.

King Friday
11-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Burnett earned the term "Nothing Special" in my book. He has flat out sucked a good chunk of this season.

To be fair...the guy missed the only portion of the season where the DL was actually getting some pressure on the QB. No DB is going to look too good when the front is just letting the QB sit there in the pocket without a care in the world.

Carolina_Packer
11-17-2013, 10:59 PM
So, if Rodgers had not gotten hurt, do you think he covers up these glaring weaknesses with his play?

red
11-17-2013, 11:05 PM
So, if Rodgers had not gotten hurt, do you think he covers up these glaring weaknesses with his play?

yeah

i think we win the last three games with a-rod. d still looks like shit, but it wouldn't matter because we're winning

channtheman
11-18-2013, 12:04 AM
yeah

i think we win the last three games with a-rod. d still looks like shit, but it wouldn't matter because we're winning

Basically this. These last 3 losses are to bad teams, with the exception of Shitcago who is just average.

pittstang5
11-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Dud - Sam Shields for not playing. Rub some dirt on that hamstring, put some duct tape on it and prove you deserve a big contract.

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 08:05 AM
yeah

The GIANTS are always tough.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Maybe its time we come to the conclusion that other than 1/2 dozen players, the Packers have no studs, period. So maybe it is best to rest Rogers for remainder of season, and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe this gives us higher draft picks to start rebuilding this team with players who dont have vaginas. Coupled with a front office house cleaning, we then get back on track. I mean, its better than limping into the playoffs with this defense, and getting ambushed again.

Bossman641
11-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Studs - Crosby, Tramon, Nelson, Boykin
Duds - Newhouse, Hyde, safeties

Bossman641
11-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Dud - the KR game. I'm dead serious when I say I don't think we've returned a kick past the 35 yard line. A KR is much more likely to result in us starting at the 15 then the 25.

Too lazy to look it up now, but I'd love to see our average field position over the past 3 games. No turnovers, a defense that almost never forces a 3 and out, no return game. Just a recipe for disaster with this short-handed offense having to drive 80+ yards over and over.

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Maybe its time we come to the conclusion that other than 1/2 dozen players, the Packers have no studs, period. So maybe it is best to rest Rogers for remainder of season, and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe this gives us higher draft picks to start rebuilding this team with players who dont have vaginas. Coupled with a front office house cleaning, we then get back on track. I mean, its better than limping into the playoffs with this defense, and getting ambushed again.

It's time for a big revision and that will mean making CAP money avaiable with accepting the departure of Finley,Williams and Raji. Add Pickett as well.

It's time to gut the secondary and flat out retool/rebuild. Maybe then in 3-5 years time we have something very real to cheer for.

The writing is clearly on the wall.

GO PACKERS!

Joemailman
11-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Calm down everybody. Packers have some problems, but you don't need to tear down the house. The Packers were the #3 seed in the NFC and had won 4 in a row when Rodgers got hurt. In the NFL, you can turn things around pretty quickly if you make the right moves.

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Calm down everybody. Packers have some problems, but you don't need to tear down the house. The Packers were the #3 seed in the NFC and had won 4 in a row when Rodgers got hurt. In the NFL, you can turn things around pretty quickly if you make the right moves.

In the NFL 'the status quo' doesn't play out very well. Excessive pride and stubbornness to change will kill you every time.

It will be almost kind if AP and the Minnesota Vikings end our suffering this week.

We can play out the remainder of the schedule with our backups and not risk anymore damage to our by far MVP, Aaron Rodgers. Accept a better drafting position as an award towords reality change.

pittstang5
11-18-2013, 09:21 AM
It's been said too many times, but it's so true - this team misses Nick Collins. But here's the deal, you're not going to replace Collins. A player like him comes along once in a generation. But, at the very least, you put two guys back there that have a clue. Burnett still makes too many bad reads and Jennings, McMillian and Banjo have proven that they can't handle anything. If we can get a veteran safety that knows what the hell they're doing, it might be able to help Burnett and the others.

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 09:26 AM
It's been said too many times, but it's so true - this team misses Nick Collins. But here's the deal, you're not going to replace Collins. A player like him comes along once in a generation. But, at the very least, you put two guys back there that have a clue. Burnett still makes too many bad reads and Jennings, McMillian and Banjo have proven that they can't handle anything. If we can get a veteran safety that knows what the hell they're doing, it might be able to help Burnett and the others.

It's absolutely obvious and necessary that the Packers secondary gets a major overhaul during this off season.

That secondary is screaming 'SUCK' now.

Joemailman
11-18-2013, 09:28 AM
In the NFL 'the status quo' doesn't play out very well. Excessive pride and stubbornness to change will kill you every time.

It will be almost kind if AP and the Minnesota Vikings end our suffering this week.

We can play out the remainder of the schedule with our backups and not risk anymore damage to our by far MVP, Aaron Rodgers. Accept a better drafting position as an award towords reality change.

Winning teams don't throw games by sitting their starters when they're in playoff contention. This team is 1 game out of 1st place with 6 to go. If Rodgers is medically cleared to play, he should play.

Joemailman
11-18-2013, 09:32 AM

They definitely need an upgrade at Safety. Collins and Woodson could cover up for a Charlie Peprah. Burnett and Co. can't.

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Winning teams don't throw games by sitting their starters when they're in playoff contention. This team is 1 game out of 1st place with 6 to go. If Rodgers is medically cleared to play, he should play.

Your posting 'slow down'. I agree and maybe you might get there.

I really don't believe that's going to happen or AR get a medical clearance to play.

If that's the case we're stuck on reality and backup QB's and who does MM elect at QB this week Vs the Vikings at home?

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-losing-streak-at-three-when-will-Rodgers-return/ff957c19-9bd5-4365-b26a-6951bd10508e

Packers' losing streak at three; when will Rodgers return?

Posted 13 hours ago ... Vic Ketchman packers.com editor

" ... Scott Tolzien says he'll "be better this week" ..."

Comment woodbuck27:

Ball control and five (5) picks in 2 games. Will he be better on the Packers bench?

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 10:18 AM
They definitely need an upgrade at Safety. Collins and Woodson could cover up for a Charlie Peprah. Burnett and Co. can't.

Yes.

ThunderDan
11-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Honestly, what team has more than 6 players that are STUDS?

We have lost ARod, Cobb, Finley, and Bulaga (our starting RT in training camp). That's tough for any team to overcome. Before Arod went down we were 5-2 with a supporting cast of WRs.

On D we have lost Matthews, Jones, Jones, Perry, Shields, Hayward, House and on and on. Another hamstring injury every week.

The Pack may very well clean house on the D side of the coaching staff but you aren't going to turn over a whole roster and through free agency and the draft have 20 studs. It just doesn't happen.

ThunderDan
11-18-2013, 11:05 AM
In the offseason the Packers need to address S, TE. Those seem to be our biggest weaknesses. Yes we could use upgrades all-over. OL, DL, OLB, ILB, FB, QB backup.

ThunderDan
11-18-2013, 11:11 AM
It's absolutely obvious and necessary that the Packers secondary gets a major overhaul during this off season.

That secondary is screaming 'SUCK' now.

I think if Williams plays like he did yesterday that a team with Williams, Shields, House, Hayward and Hyde has a very good group of CB. Unfortunately, I don't think we have had one game with all those players suited up together.

The S position is awful. We need help there.

To me the real concern is that Victor Cruz of the Giants said they knew what coverage the Pack was going to run in certain down and distances. I don't care how good you are if the O knows where you are going they can find the holes.

Smidgeon
11-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Studs:
Brad Jones on that sack
Tramon Williams all day
Jordy Nelson on that catch
Quarless on that unbelievable catch and making it look easy
Mike Daniels drawing holding penalty after holding penalty in the second half--oh wait--he would've if the refs called it
Crosby's outdoor 57 yarder
Tolzien's deep throws

Duds:
Newhouse. Is he really better than Sherrod right now?
DLine sans Daniels. Stop the run. Please. I'm begging.
Secondary sans Williams. Stop the pass. Please. I'm begging.
Tolzien's INTs

That being said, the INTs by Beason and Pierre-Paul were extraordinary. Hard for me to fault the QB for that, but I will anyway.

Also, Boykin continues to impress. I'm glad they kept him over everyone else this forum was pining for.

PA Pack Fan
11-18-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm putting Bostick on the stud list for taking that hit after another nice catch.

Pugger
11-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Dud - Sam Shields for not playing. Rub some dirt on that hamstring, put some duct tape on it and prove you deserve a big contract.

IMO Shields' absence was huge in yesterday's game. :sad:

Pugger
11-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Dud - the KR game. I'm dead serious when I say I don't think we've returned a kick past the 35 yard line. A KR is much more likely to result in us starting at the 15 then the 25.

Too lazy to look it up now, but I'd love to see our average field position over the past 3 games. No turnovers, a defense that almost never forces a 3 and out, no return game. Just a recipe for disaster with this short-handed offense having to drive 80+ yards over and over.

I'd prefer Hyde not take it out of the endzone on kickoffs so we can at least start offensive series on the 20 instead of the 12. :-|

Pugger
11-18-2013, 03:40 PM

I'd agree with you if our record right now was like MN's instead of only being one stinkin' game out of the division lead even with all of our problems. Let's wait until the next couple of weeks evolve before we scrap the whole works.

red
11-18-2013, 06:55 PM
I'd prefer Hyde not take it out of the endzone on kickoffs so we can at least start offensive series on the 20 instead of the 12. :-|

don't forget that about half the time we also get a holding on those returns out to the 12

so the 6 is more like it