PDA

View Full Version : Just how QB central is the NFL now?

Guiness
11-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Watching the last 3 Packer games has really hammered home just how QB central the NFL game is now.

It has become painfully obvious how important that single player in this 'team' game has become, reminding me of how important the 'starting pitcher' is in MLB. The Pack has gone from contender to also ran with the loss of Rodgers. Sure, other players, top players on the team, have gone out for periods of time but it seems like the effect of their absence pales in comparison to the loss of the starting QB. Jordy and JJ are playing well. There's a rookie LT who is holding the fort. The running game is better than it has been in years, but it doesn't matter because without the #1 QB all is lost.

I personally don't like the direction this is taking the game. There are maybe two dozen guys in the whole country who can be a viable NFL QB, or franchise QB as HH pointed out in another thread. Most argued that the number was less than two dozen, possibly not even 20. The Bills, Eagles, Bears and Browns have managed wins by non-opening day starters but at two of those came against a team who also didn't have their starter, and another (Browns) by a team who has moved on from their original starter!

Is it even possible for a team with a strong defense and good running attack to consistently win games?

Is it even near possible for a dominant defense and strong running attack to win games anymore?

pbmax
11-18-2013, 10:57 AM
I think you can still get by without investing the franchise in a QB (I think Flacco fits the category (not sure he deserved that contract) as does Cutler and Eli, Schaub, Smith, etc) but you have to have an offense built to protect their weaknesses and a defense to make the game downhill for the O. Special Teams also help.

Packers put a lot on Rodgers shoulders.

run pMc
11-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Is it even possible for a team with a strong defense and good running attack to consistently win games?

Is it even near possible for a dominant defense and strong running attack to win games anymore?

Yes, but it's not easy.
You'll still need an at-least competent QB who takes care of the ball. SF got to the NFC championship game 2 years ago and they had basically nobody outside of Vernon Davis to for Alex Smith to throw to, and he's not considered an elite or top-10 QB.

Smidgeon
11-18-2013, 01:09 PM
I blame the "no touching the WR after 5 yards" "Peyton Manning" rules.

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2013, 02:44 PM
I blame the "no touching the WR after 5 yards" "Peyton Manning" rules.

all the rule changes have favored the offense for 20 years.

Pugger
11-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Watching the last 3 Packer games has really hammered home just how QB central the NFL game is now.

It has become painfully obvious how important that single player in this 'team' game has become, reminding me of how important the 'starting pitcher' is in MLB. The Pack has gone from contender to also ran with the loss of Rodgers. Sure, other players, top players on the team, have gone out for periods of time but it seems like the effect of their absence pales in comparison to the loss of the starting QB. Jordy and JJ are playing well. There's a rookie LT who is holding the fort. The running game is better than it has been in years, but it doesn't matter because without the #1 QB all is lost.

I personally don't like the direction this is taking the game. There are maybe two dozen guys in the whole country who can be a viable NFL QB, or franchise QB as HH pointed out in another thread. Most argued that the number was less than two dozen, possibly not even 20. The Bills, Eagles, Bears and Browns have managed wins by non-opening day starters but at two of those came against a team who also didn't have their starter, and another (Browns) by a team who has moved on from their original starter!

Had we had a strong D and running game these last 3 weeks without AR we wouldn't be in this freefall.

woodbuck27
11-18-2013, 03:32 PM

Hands or tackling to the upper body or anywhere near the QB's neck is a no-no.

What's next....'No QB SACKS'?

Smidgeon
11-18-2013, 05:50 PM

35 years. Since the first serious change in 1978. But the recent slew started with the Peyton Manning rule. Before that, a high TD year by a QB was in the mid 30s. Now the mid 30s is standard. Before that, you'd still have slugfests and shutouts. Now, a 20 point game is considered low-scoring. I'm not pining for the days of 3-0 games. I like some scoring. I just think it got out of hand this time around.

red
11-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Had we had a strong D and running game these last 3 weeks without AR we wouldn't be in this freefall.

gotta disagree

this week we had no running game,last week was ok, but not great, but the bears game we had 200 yards rushing

the last 2 games, the the teamsdefenses didn't have to worry about out passing game so they keyed up to take away our running game.

no a-rod passing threat = no rushing game

and it doesn't matter how good our defense is playing if we only score 13 points a game, that just doesn't cut it. you won't win many games if you only manage 13 points

sheepshead
11-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Since Rodgers concussion a few years ago I have been saying we had the biggest drop off at QB in the NFL. We have perhaps the best bench in football this season EXCEPT at QB. The bears have done it. Seems like TT made this an afterthought.

ThunderDan
11-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Since Rodgers concussion a few years ago I have been saying we had the biggest drop off at QB in the NFL. We have perhaps the best bench in football this season EXCEPT at QB. The bears have done it. Seems like TT made this an afterthought.

This year yes, not back then.

Flynn was gold both games he played when Rodgers was out.

Brandon494
11-18-2013, 09:43 PM

Seahawks and Chiefs are looking pretty good this season. If this team were healthy we could have won some of those games without Rodgers but with the offense already missing several Pro Bowl caliber players what do you expect? Not to mention how banged up the defensive side of the ball is as well. We've just had shit for luck this season just like the Falcons and Texans but at least we still have a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

Pugger
11-19-2013, 01:12 AM
gotta disagree

this week we had no running game,last week was ok, but not great, but the bears game we had 200 yards rushing

the last 2 games, the the teamsdefenses didn't have to worry about out passing game so they keyed up to take away our running game.

no a-rod passing threat = no rushing game

and it doesn't matter how good our defense is playing if we only score 13 points a game, that just doesn't cut it. you won't win many games if you only manage 13 points

Yes, without AR all opponents have to do is load up the box but it still would have been nice if Lacy could get to the LOS on his running plays in NJ. I think having Newhouse in there instead of Barclay made a big difference. :sad:

Harlan Huckleby
11-19-2013, 02:23 AM
http://everyoneisstupidbutme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/SI-cover.jpg

I wonder how Joe Kapp would fair in today's NFL. He would probably be in the stands eating a hot dog.

I don't necessarily think today's QBs are pampered pretty boys, it still takes a lot of guts to play that position. But all the decent ones have to throw perfect spirals 35 yards down the field, it's a finesse position.

woodbuck27
11-19-2013, 07:24 AM
http://everyoneisstupidbutme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/SI-cover.jpg

I wonder how Joe Kapp would fair in today's NFL. He would probably be in the stands eating a hot dog.

I don't necessarily think today's QBs are pampered pretty boys, it still takes a lot of guts to play that position. But all the decent ones have to throw perfect spirals 35 yards down the field, it's a finesse position.

I watched two very good QB's with contrasting styles of play on MNF last night duel it out.

Carolina's QB Cam Newton and his legs and arm led his Panthers to a huge win over the NE Pats and Tom Brady's arm.

This was a fast paced and exciting game to watch. It was awesome to see some really god football for a change inspite of how the officials did their best to f..k it up.

I believe this was a defining moment for Cam Newton and the 2-13 Carolina Panthers. This was their sixth straight win this season and the last6 two over San Fran on the road and last night over a solid New England team and 'arguably the best QB' we've seen over the past decade....Tom Brady.

sheepshead
11-19-2013, 07:34 AM

Right

sheepshead
11-19-2013, 07:36 AM

Right