PDA

View Full Version : Best RB Rivalries: Its Not Who You Think At #1

pbmax
11-20-2013, 09:09 AM
But it does involve a Packer.

A list, for the entire NFL, of great Running Back rivalries. Packers get two entries.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64040564/

Old School
11-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Loved the Hinkle/Nagursgki section. Not much Packer stuff that predates me. Interesting for all the bruising hits there was no mention of games missed due to injury.
I remember the Taylor/Brown rivalry well. Brown had a habit of getting up and walking back to the huddle like he needed an ambulance. Then when the ball was snapped, he'd blow past everybody like it was his first carry of the game. Taylor was a punishing runner who may have made a few defenders wish they had pursued a different career.

Pugger
11-20-2013, 11:51 AM
I too loved the Hinkle/Nagursgki section. I think those guys were tougher than the guys playing today. No wonder so many of them died young... :neutral:

woodbuck27
11-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Loved the Hinkle/Nagursgki section. Not much Packer stuff that predates me. Interesting for all the bruising hits there was no mention of games missed due to injury.
I remember the Taylor/Brown rivalry well. Brown had a habit of getting up and walking back to the huddle like he needed an ambulance. Then when the ball was snapped, he'd blow past everybody like it was his first carry of the game. Taylor was a punishing runner who may have made a few defenders wish they had pursued a different career.

How long have you called yourself a Green Bay Packer fan?

Guiness
11-20-2013, 07:22 PM
I too loved the Hinkle/Nagursgki section. I think those guys were tougher than the guys playing today. No wonder so many of them died young... :neutral:

Indeed. Poster child for that is Earl Campbell.

Old School
11-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Woodbuck, I've been a Packer fan since the late 40's. I neglected to say that Hinkle does predate me by a smidgeon. Sorry!!!! Maybe I should change my screen name from Old School to "Old Folks".

woodbuck27
11-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Woodbuck, I've been a Packer fan since the late 40's. I neglected to say that Hinkle does predate me by a smidgeon. Sorry!!!! Maybe I should change my screen name from Old School to "Old Folks".

Holy Cow! I'm impressed man.

CONGRATULATIONS !! Stick with Old School ... that's a very cool handle.

I started following the Green Bay Packers as a boy back in 1958. By the 1960's the Packers were my favourite team in all of the major sports.

Well I also loved the Braves (Hank Aaron (loved this man), and his power mate Eddie Matthews, Joe Adcock, Johnny Logan, Del Crandell, Wes Covington, Bill Bruton, and the solid pitching trio of Bob Buhl, Lew Burdette and the amazing 'Southpaw' Warren Spahn (simply amazing) and that's how I came to add the Packers.

Milwaukee >>> Green Bay. It began as a why not and became a passion.

As I look back on it all as a sports fan. It was MLB and the Braves and the NHL and the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadians (the BIG 'M' ... Frank Mahovlich) and the Green Bay Packers and of all of them it remains foremost...the GREEN BAY PACKERS.

GO PACK GO !

Old School
11-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Woodbuck, I got a jump on your baseball love as I took up with the Cubs at the same time as I did the Packers. I lived and died with both - the Cubs every year. Names like Smalley, Pafko, Schmitz, Nicholson, Caveretta, Hacker, and Meyer may not have been your Braves equal Without a team in Milwaukee, in my family you were a died in the wool Cub fan even before you were taken to church for Baptism.

One of my fav stories involved a young pitcher named Russ Meyer, who was known for his temper. One day as he berated the home plate ump over a call, he threw the resin bag into the air. As he stood there unburdening himself, the resin bag descended ..... on his head.

Fritz
11-21-2013, 02:47 PM
There was a Cub named Schmitz? Really?

Old School
11-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Johnny Schmitz was from Wausau and pitched for the Cubs in the '40s. He made his major league debut as a 20 year old in 1941, and he won 18 games in 48.
Johnny died in 2011.