PDA

View Full Version : Cobbs injury not the one that was reported

red
11-21-2013, 08:09 AM
so either the team is playing games (in which case cobb is in trouble because he spilled the beans. or we have another case of misdiagnosis by our wonderful medical team

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

here's the last paragraph

Cobb also said that his injury wasn’t the fractured fibula that was widely reported when he got hurt last month, although the specific nature of the injury is ultimately of more significance to Cobb than to those interested in when he’ll be back on the field. They and the team will have to wait a bit longer to find out if that will be this season.

woodbuck27
11-21-2013, 08:15 AM
so either the team is playing games (in which case cobb is in trouble because he spilled the beans. or we have another case of misdiagnosis by our wonderful medical team

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

here's the last paragraph

Holy mackerel.

Patler
11-21-2013, 08:31 AM

.....or, the media ran with an unsubstantiated report about the injury, and repeated it so many times that we all believed it.

The team's leading receiver left Sunday's 19-17 win against the Baltimore Ravens with a leg injury that ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen confirmed was a fractured fibula.

Maybe "Dr." Mortensen had it wrong.

woodbuck27
11-21-2013, 08:48 AM
.....or, the media ran with an unsubstantiated report about the injury, and repeated it so many times that we all believed it.

Maybe "Dr." Mortensen had it wrong.

This thing and injuries and diagnosis.

Is there any real merit in all that being a mystery?

pbmax
11-21-2013, 09:07 AM
This is the link red meant to give: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/21/randall-cobb-still-without-a-timeline-for-return/

PFT is linking here: http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131120/PKR01/311200491/Notebook-Still-no-timeline-Cobb

Here is a better source for a more full quote: http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=32411

to ask him Wednesday about the challenge of being patient with a healing bone – just like quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who is sidelined with a fractured collarbone – Cobb cut off the question.

“Did I break a bone?” Cobb said.

Since it’s his leg, Cobb was asked then if he did indeed break a bone.

“That’s the reports. I don’t know,” Cobb said in what would turn into something of a Who’s On First back-and-forth. “A broken bone, I don’t know about that. But hey, that was what the reports was so it is what it is.”

Asked if reports were then inaccurate, Cobb replied, “It wasn’t what (the injury) was.” But when pressed on what the injury actually was, Cobb said, “As long as I know what’s wrong with me, the doctors and my family know what’s wrong with me, I don’t really care what anybody else says or thinks.”

Patler
11-21-2013, 09:17 AM
This thing and injuries and diagnosis.

Is there any real merit in all that being a mystery?

I have often wondered that myself. But, it has been this way as long as I can remember, the only difference being that with ESPN on the scene, everyone is scrambling to provide more and more "facts", and seem to care little if those "facts" are accurate or not. We are bombarded with a seemingly never ending supply of information.

woodbuck27
11-21-2013, 09:27 AM
I have often wondered that myself. But, it has been this way as long as I can remember, the only difference being that with ESPN on the scene, everyone is scrambling to provide more and more "facts", and seem to care little if those "facts" are accurate or not. We are bombarded with a seemingly never ending supply of information.

In my experience as a sports fan the NFL and MLB injuries are disclosed or made more public.

Cheesehead Craig
11-21-2013, 09:30 AM

Gotta be first to report it, that's what it's about now. Accuracy or truth is irrelevant.

Puzzled as well as to why not report what's wrong with Cobb. I don't see what there is to gain.

Patler
11-21-2013, 09:40 AM
MM often defers to the excuse of privacy. But then, other times, he comes right out and says what it is.
Doesn't seem to be much consistency in what they are willing to report.

woodbuck27
11-21-2013, 09:52 AM
MM often defers to the excuse of privacy. But then, other times, he comes right out and says what it is.
Doesn't seem to be much consistency in what they are willing to report.

It's a puzzle. I don't get it .

Guiness
11-21-2013, 12:40 PM
So...he may or may not have a broken leg/fibula? Kind of funny from the point of view that you would think that's pretty damn hard to mis-diagnose! We make fun of the medical team, but geez louise I hope this isn't a screw up on their part. Didn't watch the full interview, but from the transcript it seems like Cobb was frustrated/annoyed/upset.

Freak Out
11-21-2013, 04:55 PM
What does Samkon Gado report?

red
11-21-2013, 05:01 PM
This is the link red meant to give: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/21/randall-cobb-still-without-a-timeline-for-return/

PFT is linking here: http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131120/PKR01/311200491/Notebook-Still-no-timeline-Cobb

Here is a better source for a more full quote: http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=32411

thanks for the fix PB

i think most of us in the game thread thought that it was his knee that was injured when it first happened

i wonder if he really did tear something. it wouldn't be an acl or he'd be on the ir. how bout the other ligaments like the pcl or mclis that something he could return from before the end of the season. could it just be a really badly bruised quad?

the whole thing just seems weird to me that cobb or the team won't say what it really is

did he injure his cock or balls or something? if his dick was broke in half or he lost a ball, then i can see him not wanting to say what happened

cheesner
11-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Word is, it was a mis-diagnosis. He actually had a sore throat. This led to a lot of confusion because the doctors keep asking how his leg is and he responds, 'the same'. Look for Cobb to be in the lineup this sunday. He may be wearing a scarf.

Old School
11-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Just a guess. If it wasn't a fracture, it could have been "compartment syndrome" which can be very serious. It is extreme pressure within a compartment caused by bleeding which can restrict circulation to and from the area. It can require surgery to prevent a life threatening situation.

Then again the way injuries are reported, who knows?

denverYooper
11-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Just a guess. If it wasn't a fracture, it could have been "compartment syndrome" which can be very serious. It is extreme pressure within a compartment caused by bleeding which can restrict circulation to and from the area. It can require surgery to prevent a life threatening situation.

Then again the way injuries are reported, who knows?

Broncos just put Raheem Moore on IR-DR for compartment syndrome.

Patler
11-21-2013, 07:44 PM
There's no indication in the article that there was a misdiagnosis; only that the injury is different than what the media reported.
Has anyone seen anything from the Packers stating that it was a broken leg? All I saw from them was a "leg injury".

Teamcheez1
11-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Does it really matter? They knew it was serious enough to put him on IR designated to return. I think that was even a 50/50 proposition. If we are out of the playoffs by that time, he will just stay on IR.