PDA

View Full Version : HOLY SH"T , 2 holes in one in the same round

red
08-26-2006, 10:11 AM
now i've been playing golf for about 23 or 24 years, and i've never gotten a hole in one. this guy got two in the same round at a pga tour event

Miyazato aces 2 holes in same round

By SCOTT SONNER, Associated Press Writer Fri Aug 25, 7:08 PM ET

RENO, Nev. - Japan's Yusaku Miyazato became the first golfer to make two holes-in-one in the same round of a PGA Tour tournament when he aced a pair of par 3s Friday at the Reno-Tahoe Open.

Miyazato accomplished the feat on the 230-yard, downhill seventh hole and then the 173-yard, uphill No. 12 at the Montreux Golf and Country Club.

Bob Tway had two aces in the same tournament at the Memorial in 1994 and Glen Day did the same at the Greater Hartford Open the same year, but PGA Tour officials said they could find no record of any golfer on tour who pulled it off the same day.

Miyazato, 26, who lives in Tokyo, speaks only a little English so his caddie served as a translator for reporters after the round. But he knew how to answer directly when asked how he planned to celebrate Friday night.

"Drink much beer. Big party," he said with a wide smile.

Miyazato has played four years on the Japanese Tour, earning less than $1 million in that time, he said through his caddie.

He had one previous hole-in-one and was "very excited" when he holed out the first one on Friday with a 4-iron.

"But the second time, it was really unbelievable. I couldn't believe it," Miyazato said through his caddie. He hit a 7-iron for that one.

Because of the undulating nature of the greens, he didn't see either drop in the cup. The crowd let him know the first was an ace.

On No. 12, the gallery was sparse so he was expecting it had hit the pin but bounced away.

"When I went to the green, I was surprised," he said.

Miyazato started the second round tied for 17th at 3-under-par 69, six strokes behind first-round leader Will MacKenzie. His second hole-in-one pushed him to 8-under-par and he finished with a 68 for the day to get to 9-under par 135 for the tournament.

MacKenzie was playing in the group ahead and was told there had been a pair of aces by the same golfer, but didn't know who it was.

"We heard them cheering back there," he said.

PGA officials had Miyazato sign the two Tour Stage golf balls he used, which they planned to send to the World Golf Hall of Fame at St. Augustine, Fla.

"I'm very proud of the PGA Tour history," Miyazato said. "Everybody watches the PGA Tour on TV (in Japan) because there are many Japanese professionals."

Miyazato, who was born in Okinawa, is playing in the tournament on an international exemption granted by Reno-Tahoe Open officials and was eligible because he won the rookie title in Japan last year. He missed the cut at the Sony Open in Hawaii in January, the only other PGA event he has competed in this year.

He plans to try to qualify for the PGA Tour at qualifying school this fall.

His tour earnings so far are $8,775 and he's ranked 365th in the world golf rankings. He was tied for 1,345th in birdie average and tied for 845th in par-3 average at 3.38, although that number is sure to improve after Friday's performance.

GBRulz
08-26-2006, 10:35 AM
he needs to go buy some lottery tickets now.

KYPack
08-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Little golf trivia...

Whats the record for the longest hole in one?

(No googlin' kids)

the_idle_threat
08-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Check him for steroids.

Bossman641
08-27-2006, 04:07 AM
Little golf trivia...

(No googlin' kids)

No idea but I remember a few years back some PGA pro got a hole in one on a par 4 that was over 400 yards I believe.

Think I've heard something before about some guy acing one on a 500+ yard par 5 but I don't know the details.

the_idle_threat
08-27-2006, 04:09 AM
I think it was a guy named ... Happy Gilmore?

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Little golf trivia...

(No googlin' kids)

No idea but I remember a few years back some PGA pro got a hole in one on a par 4 that was over 400 yards I believe.

Think I've heard something before about some guy acing one on a 500+ yard par 5 but I don't know the details.

Yeah, but the story is full of ?????. There was never an interview. The guy never ackowledged it. It was at the Masters course, but on a private round. It's a downhill par 4.

Too fishy, even though it stands as the record.

KYPack
08-27-2006, 09:35 AM
No, Keep guessin'

The record of which I speak is legit, not done by a pro and is 400 yd +

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 10:09 AM
No, Keep guessin'

The record of which I speak is legit, not done by a pro and is 400 yd +

We're talkin about the same record, if it is Augusta. No Pro, but a member. The longest H-I-1 ever recorded was Augusta. I think it was the 10th, but I would have to go to my basement...

MadtownPacker
08-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Golf?? WTF ?? I thought this thread title was gonna be about Red having an extra busy Saturday night!!

Complete ripoff!!!!!

GrnBay007
08-27-2006, 04:04 PM
LOL!!!! now ya got red thinkin...............

red
08-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Golf?? WTF ?? I thought this thread title was gonna be about Red having an extra busy Saturday night!!

Complete ripoff!!!!!

i wish

i'm not that cool :sad:

KYPack
08-27-2006, 06:44 PM
A few people PM'd me after they googled the answer.

This is the recognized answer:

Longest: 447 yards, Bob Mitera, Omaha, 10th hole, Miracle Hill G. Cse., Omaha, Oct. 7, 1965. NOTE: Original record was listed as 444 yards, but in 1976, the hole was remeasured and listed as 447 yards.

It is a straight hole, but slightly downhill. You've got to carry about 240 in the air, then it rolls, or used to. The course was new when he hit it, but now way you'd get that kind of roll now.

There is another 525 hi1 now being considered from '02 in Denver.

I got one in '92. 90 yards from an elevated tee. I flipped the fuck out!

GBRulz
08-27-2006, 07:26 PM
a 525 yard ace? No fricken way. Gosh, I need 3 hits to get it that far.

Nice job on the 90 yarder, KY. I came close once, about 110 yard hole, about 12-14" away from the cup and I still managed to just par the hole :cry:

Bossman641
08-27-2006, 07:44 PM
A few people PM'd me after they googled the answer.

This is the recognized answer:

Longest: 447 yards, Bob Mitera, Omaha, 10th hole, Miracle Hill G. Cse., Omaha, Oct. 7, 1965. NOTE: Original record was listed as 444 yards, but in 1976, the hole was remeasured and listed as 447 yards.

It is a straight hole, but slightly downhill. You've got to carry about 240 in the air, then it rolls, or used to. The course was new when he hit it, but now way you'd get that kind of roll now.

There is another 525 hi1 now being considered from '02 in Denver.

I got one in '92. 90 yards from an elevated tee. I flipped the fuck out!

You only had to carry it 240 and the ball would run 200 yards? Geez

I for the life of me can't get an eagle or a hole in one. I've come close so many times I couldn't even count the number. Balls ending up inches from the cup, struck flag sticks, lipouts. It doesn't matter I just can't do it.

I've given up on even thinking about it. When it happens it happens.

the_idle_threat
08-28-2006, 02:42 AM
I'm lucky to get on the green in par ... even if it's a par 3.

GBRulz
08-28-2006, 07:37 AM
LOL, drink more aiming fluid, idle !

Homer Jay
08-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Interseting articleon Mr. Mitera.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_3_52/ai_70888033/pg_1

KYPack
08-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Incidently,

A birdie is a one under par score on a hole,

2 under is an eagle

3 under an albatross (or double eagle)

4 under (a one on a five) is a Condor [or triple eagle or double albatross]

the_idle_threat
08-29-2006, 12:43 AM
LOL, drink more aiming fluid, idle !

Aw christ ... is that all I need to do? Look out Tiger Woods, here I come!