PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's 2013 NFL Power Rankings: Week 12

woodbuck27
11-22-2013, 06:40 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/12

Updated: November 19, 2013, 3:18 PM ET

ESPN's 2013 NFL Power Rankings: Week 12

NO. 15 ... Packers (5-5) >>> Down 2 >>> Last Week: 13

" Eddie Lacy was hit at or behind the line on 10 of 14 rushes Sunday, the fourth time a player with 10 rushes finished with a negative yards before contact average. "

GO PACKERS !

Guiness
11-22-2013, 07:22 AM
So what happened to the good run blocking they were getting? Is it teams loading up vs the run daring Tolzien to throw, or was is the swap of Barclay and Newhouse?

woodbuck27
11-22-2013, 07:43 AM
So what happened to the good run blocking they were getting? Is it teams loading up vs the run daring Tolzien to throw, or was is the swap of Barclay and Newhouse?

As I recall the story on our OL and running the ball:

Three weeks ago the RHS of the Packers OL was showing weakness in the run.

Barkley>>>Newhouse>>>Barkley >>> Both similiar >>> and NOT supporting the run.

Is that correct?

PACKERS !

ThunderDan
11-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Barkley>>>Newhouse>>>Barkley >>> Both similiar >>> and NOT supporting the run.

Is that correct?

PACKERS !

What does that mean? Barclay is better than Newhouse who is better than Barclay who is better than they are both similar who is better than not supporting the run?

denverYooper
11-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Lol.

Barclay > Newhouse in the run game.

woodbuck27
11-22-2013, 09:46 AM
What does that mean? Barclay is better than Newhouse who is better than Barclay who is better than they are both similar who is better than not supporting the run?

No I'm meaning that when either Barkley or Newhouse are 'outside right' I see a similar result. RE: the run.

I'm seeing ie Eddie Lacy favour looking for an opening 'left' as it's more likely to be there than on the RHS.

What's your analysis of the quality of their play on the RHS of the Packer OL overall ? I use the word 'quality' loosely here.

Didn't we learn that when Barkley was moved to RG he struggled supporting the offense overall.

You'll recall that at RT Barkley allowed The Bears DE McClellan to slide back inside and put the sack on Aaron Rodgers that puts us where we are today and losing three straight.

How effective is Newhouse at RT supporting both the run and pass? I have lost confidence in Newhouse at RT.

The way I see it the Packers need more on the RHS of the OL. One or both of these two players has to learn to play RG and we need more at RT.

What have you seen on the RHS of our OL? Do you believe the answer to more support there exists on the Packer roster?

GO PACK GO !

ThunderDan
11-22-2013, 01:01 PM
No I'm meaning that when either Barkley or Newhouse are 'outside right' I see a similar result. RE: the run.

I'm seeing ie Eddie Lacy favour looking for an opening 'left' as it's more likely to be there than on the RHS.

What's your analysis of the quality of their play on the RHS of the Packer OL overall ? I use the word 'quality' loosely here.

Didn't we learn that when Barkley was moved to RG he struggled supporting the offense overall.

You'll recall that at RT Barkley allowed The Bears DE McClellan to slide back inside and put the sack on Aaron Rodgers that puts us where we are today and losing three straight.

How effective is Newhouse at RT supporting both the run and pass? I have lost confidence in Newhouse at RT.

The way I see it the Packers need more on the RHS of the OL. One or both of these two players has to learn to play RG and we need more at RT.

What have you seen on the RHS of our OL? Do you believe the answer to more support there exists on the Packer roster?

GO PACK GO !

Woody-

In my world:

> = better than
>>> = much better than

I thought you were trying to do a comparison that made no sense to me.

The OL has not been good in pass protection all year so I don't think blaming Barclay for "The Sack" is very useful. It could have been any of the OL that caused "The Injury." It just happened to be a hit after Barclay missed.

As TJ Lang said this week after the Giants game, "We can't block 8 players with 7 guys."

The strange thing if I remember correctly is that Tolzien wasn't sacked by the Giants.

MadScientist
11-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Campenesqe. There was a great analysis on some site of Lacy's runs a few weeks ago that showed the line looking like crap but Lacy managing to make a guy miss or make a great cut just before a failed block doomed him. Now with an extra guy crowding the line, Lacy has no chance.

You at one point had confidence in Marshmallow!?

woodbuck27
11-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Woody-

In my world:

> = better than
>>> = much better than

The OL has not been good in pass protection all year so I don't think blaming Barclay for "The Sack" is very useful. It could have been any of the OL that caused "The Injury." It just happened to be a hit after Barclay missed.

As TJ Lang said this week after the Giants game, "We can't block 8 players with 7 guys."

The strange thing if I remember correctly is that Tolzien wasn't sacked by the Giants.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013111712/2013/REG11/packers@giants?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#tab=analyz e&analyze=boxscore

I do not 'blame' or nor did I mean to imply that Barkley should be blamed for the SACK of AR that led to his injury. A lot of things happen to contribute to a sack and moreso a serious injury.

Aaron Rodgers moved to his right and the Bears DE Shea McClellin merely saw he could slip Barkley and get to AR ...and did. In order for Barkley to prevent that he would have had to see this move by AR outside of his blocking area and put a hold on Shea McClellin.

That injury to AR IMO falls under the category 'shit happens'.

The last game @ NY Giants and the OL and our decline in the rushing game:

The Packer running game gained 'only' 3 X 1st downs on 20 carries for a 2.8 yard avg. The Giants 'D' tackled RB's 3 X for a loss...and all told the Packers Net Yards Rushing = 55 yards.

In fact the OL didn't allow a SACK. The OL supported 13 X 1st downs via the pass of the total 16 1st downs. The net yards passing total was an impressive 339 yards. The Giants strategy was clearly to stop the rush and take its chances with our passing game with Scott Tolzien new to the Packers offense.

Are we debating the effectiveness of the Packer OL as it is right now? Our OL wasn't the reason we lost the game Vs the GIANTS. What I see maybe isn't what another Packer fan see's. I therefore don't want to debate observations.

Moving in another direction:

Tom Coughlin is an impressive HC. He's dialed into the game for a full 60 minutes.

There were many reasons for that loss to the Giants. As I saw it again, it was (ST play and sloppy to no tackling) and defensive team play and coverage/tackling.

I wonder if our DB's can play man-man? The Packer DB's give opposition WR's so much room for over the top pass's.

In my review of the game recording I also felt that some players didn't put forth the the effort I hoped for. I'm not impressed with BJ Raji's play?

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
11-23-2013, 04:38 AM
Woody-

In my world:

> = better than
>>> = much better than

ThunderDan:

Today on my Yahoo Canada Opening page I saw this for the GOOGLE search:

GO>GLE

That > could be used for many things.

In my original post >>> meant change to ie Depth Chart @ RT.

RT was Barkley ( >>> change ) to Newhouse (>>> change back to Barkley in the entire context).

That's confusing.

I do understand your confusion.

I used to teach Mathematics and > meant greater than back then.

Today with Google an > = the letter 'O'.

Life can be generally so confusing.

Pugger
11-23-2013, 07:00 AM

Yes, both. Teams don't respect Tolzien's passing like they do with Rodgers, obviously, so they are overloading the LOS. I will say Tolzien can throw it better than I thought he could. His job is to get to OUR guys and not theirs. If he can do that it will loosen up that box and give Lacy running room again.

woodbuck27
11-23-2013, 07:40 AM
Yes, both. Teams don't respect Tolzien's passing like they do with Rodgers, obviously, so they are overloading the LOS. I will say Tolzien can throw it better than I thought he could. His job is to get to OUR guys and not theirs. If he can do that it will loosen up that box and give Lacy running room again.

Some times the GIANTS didn't reveal their defensive posture until right at the snap. Scott Tolzien had no way to know the run was a bad decision. Good timing by the GIANTS 'D' in terms of setting the blitz set the trap... Eddie Lacy was cut down with little gain or behind the LOS.

Do any of you believe that Eddie Lacy has confidence in the right side of the Packers OL? I suspect he has been favouring the LHS for running holes. Am I wrong?

Another factor last week Vs the NY GIANTS was some poor directional running decisions by Eddie Lacy or ... his inability to see the open man set to tackle him. Again here ...... he ran left.

GO PACKERS !