PDA

View Full Version : Vikings @ Packers Week 12 Studs and Duds

run pMc
11-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Who are your studs and duds, and why? I'll give one each and let you add yours.

Studs
Lacy had a pretty strong game, given everyone knew he was going to be fed the ball.

Duds
Tolzien regressed and was inaccurate.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Stud - Lacy again

Dud - Defense again, I would give real money to anybody who can teach them to tackle

Flynn - I wold give 1/2 stud for getting us back in the game, but 1/2 dud for not being able to get the win.

KalamazooPackerFan
11-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Lacy is a Stud, especially since the Oline was a Dud. He got alot of yards after contact and carried tacklers for additional yards. Plus, their blitz management was piss poor. Flyn gets a Stud too. Not finishing was more on the Oline and playcalls. Dud to the defense.....what is it that is keeping them from playing like they did to occassionally stop Minny's drives on a consistent basis? I say its Capers and he is dud number one this game and probably for the season.

CaptainKickass
11-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Stud - Matt Flynn
Let us not forget that without any preparation to start this week, he came out in the 2nd half and showed Tolzien what a backup QB should look like running this offense, particularly the no huddle and 2 min offenses. Flynn finished 21 of 36 for 218 yards with one touchdown. Tolzien finished 7 of 17 passes for 98 yards.

Dud - Mike McCarthy
I love MM and what he's done for the franchise. But he gets a dud for the crappy defense (he IS the head coach) and for not starting Flynn sooner and giving the Pack the best chance to win, against a bitter rival, in the cold, and at home.

digitaldean
11-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Studs: Lacy, Matthews, Flynn, Masthay (kicked ball pretty well)

Duds: Run defense (tackling sucks plus our line got dominated most of the game and made Gerhart look All-Pro). Davon House - that putz got torched repeatedly and barely deflected the Patterson pass in OT (plus he dropped a sure interception from Ponder early in game). Special teams kick return and return coverage was abysmal today.

Also, O-Line was pathetic on last 2 possessions in overtime. Too many penalties plus pass protection stunk.

KYPack
11-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Stud Scott Tolzien He is a stud for totally revealing his inner suckitude and driving MM into pulling him, giving us a chance to win. He should have been pulled at the half after 1. Trying to spike the ball with the freakin clock stopped. 2. Taking off a scramble that would run out the clock on us.

CMIII because he is a double stud.

Dud

MM for not pulling Tolzien sooner and his shit set of plays in the OT.

EDS Two shit snaps in OT? Get with it, mfer.

woodbuck27
11-24-2013, 08:43 PM
STUDS:

Eddie Lacy; James Jones and (please .... more Jordy Nelson MM)

Matt Flynn for doing his best Superman impression before that ran out of gas.

On the 'D':

CMIII was back to his energetic self and making plays and putting pressure on.

I thought that AJ Hawk again played very well and so did Brad Jones.

DUDS:

As a whole the secondary struggled again.

BJ Raji is now the 'Invisible Man'. Excuse me 'the Invisible $8 Million$ Man'. Screw that guy to some other unfortunate team. He's gone elsewhere in his head somewhere.

The Packer tackling dummies. They have to be worn out because obviously the Packer 'D' doesn't use them.

The fella that's in charge of the Packer player vitamins and mineral supply. He's either not dispencing the right shit or his supply is severely depleted and rationing is 'no' answer.

Harlan Huckleby
11-24-2013, 09:01 PM
dud: Flynn

He is so much worse than I thought. I agree he showed some smart and heart. Now that defensive coordinators know he throws like a girl, they are gonna press the receivers. He's worthless.

sub dud: Tolzien. I really thought was gonna play well. Instead, he well, played.

I guess Flynn has to play at Detroit.

KYPack
11-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Harlan, Flynn was 21 of 36 for 218 & a TD.

Tolzien couldn't hit the water if he fell out of a boat.

Flynn might not be Danny Marino, but he isn't a little bambino like Tolzien.

woodbuck27
11-24-2013, 09:37 PM

" Tolzien couldn't hit the water if he fell out of a boat. "

Classic Packerrat ' humor HOF material '.

:wave: of RECOGNITION.

Bossman641
11-24-2013, 09:38 PM
dud: Flynn

He is so much worse than I thought. I agree he showed some smart and heart. Now that defensive coordinators know he throws like a girl, they are gonna press the receivers. He's worthless.

sub dud: Tolzien. I really thought was gonna play well. Instead, he well, played.

I guess Flynn has to play at Detroit.

I don't give a shit if Flynn throws it left handed. He at least know where to go with the ball

Freak Out
11-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Stud Scott Tolzien He is a stud for totally revealing his inner suckitude and driving MM into pulling him, giving us a chance to win. He should have been pulled at the half after 1. Trying to spike the ball with the freakin clock stopped. 2. Taking off a scramble that would run out the clock on us.

CMIII because he is a double stud.

Dud

MM for not pulling Tolzien sooner and his shit set of plays in the OT.

EDS Two shit snaps in OT? Get with it, mfer.

I still am surprised that Flynn didn't get the start....sore elbow or not. The Tozmanian devil showed us enough last week to warrant a benching.

Lacy, Nelson, Claymaker, Hawk and Flynn for the studs.

Was there any DB that wasn't a dud?

Jimx29
11-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Without a doubt Lacy was a stud. Even overcame an asthma attack late in the game

Harlan Huckleby
11-24-2013, 11:18 PM

I am off the Tolzien bandwagon. He is dead to me.

Flynn played admirably, and I concede I am being a bit of a dick about it.

I fear the Lions D coordinator is going to game plan for Flynn's rag arm, and Packers O is going to grind to halt. We'll see. I'm expressing my frustration at both backups, and I think Flynn's prospects are out of focus.

Harlan Huckleby
11-24-2013, 11:18 PM
I don't give a shit if Flynn throws it left handed. He at least know where to go with the ball

And that's fine if you want to go 15 yards or less.

Harlan Huckleby
11-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Was there any DB that wasn't a dud?

Xavier Rhodes looked like an all-pro, never heard of the guy.

Rodgers12
11-25-2013, 12:40 AM
I thought that AJ Hawk again played very well and so did Brad Jones.

Toby Gerhart says Hawk and Jones are duds. The two had problems shedding blocks all game long.

Jones has gotta be the worst starting ILB in the league. It is not a coincidence that the D is now having problems stopping the run with Jones back in the lineup. When Lattimore was playing, the D kicked ass against the run.

Lattimore is way more psychical than Jones and he should be starting instead of Jones. I don't know why the coaches are so in love with Jones.

woodbuck27
11-25-2013, 05:39 AM
Toby Gerhart says Hawk and Jones are duds. The two had problems shedding blocks all game long.

Jones has gotta be the worst starting ILB in the league. It is not a coincidence that the D is now having problems stopping the run with Jones back in the lineup. When Lattimore was playing, the D kicked ass against the run.

Lattimore is way more psychical than Jones and he should be starting instead of Jones. I don't know why the coaches are so in love with Jones.

May I have the LINK to his (Toby Gerhart's) quote please? Did he credit his good days rushing to the poor play of AJ Hawk and Brad Jones?

Toby Gerhart played like a STUD yesterday once he was given the opportunity. As I recall it ... AP did the heavy work running earlier in that game. Toby Gerhart didn't play until late in the third quarter and by then the 'D' was looking generally tired to me.

When I watch the replay of this game I'll key on these two players. I'll compare their first to second half performances.

I saw bad play on the defensive side of the ball (generally). Maybe of all the Dud's there Hawk and Jones stood out as the best of the worst. Maybe it simply stood out to me that they were better because they played well in the first half?

I'll make a closer examination.

If I could I'd edit the word 'very' from that post.....and just go with played well or even... well...played. ;-)

Thanks.

Bossman641
11-25-2013, 06:42 AM
And that's fine if you want to go 15 yards or less.

Tolzien hit on a few big plays against the Giants and nothing on the Vikings. It's not like teams are going to ease off crowding the line because they see Tolzien can throw the ball 50 yards downfield. What'd we have, 5 straight 3 and outs?

Iron Mike
11-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Toby Gerhart played like a STUD yesterday once he was given the opportunity. As I recall it ... AP did the heavy work running earlier in that game. Toby Gerhart didn't play until late in the third quarter and by then the 'D' was looking generally tired to me.

The Ds been looking generally tired since the bye week. :(

woodbuck27
11-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Tolzien hit on a few big plays against the Giants and nothing on the Vikings. It's not like teams are going to ease off crowding the line because they see Tolzien can throw the ball 50 yards downfield. What'd we have, 5 straight 3 and outs?

Packers Vs Minny:

Packers Kickoff Returns (Number-Yards) 3 - 63 and Vikings Kickoff Returns (Number-Yards) 5 - 143

Packers Pass Comp-Att-Int ... 28 - 53 - 0 and Vikings Pass Comp-Att-Int ... 21 - 30 - 0

Packers Net Yards Passing = 298 and Vikings Net Yards Passing 215

Packers Net Yards Rushing = 196 and Vikings Net Yards Rushing 232

Packers Third Down Efficiency 3/16 - 18% and Vikings Third Down Efficiency 6/16 = 37%

Packers TOP = 34:27 and Vikings TOP = 40:33

Packers Fumbles (Number-Lost) 0 - 0 and Vikings Fumbles (Number-Lost) 2 - 1

Packers Times Sacked (Number-Yards) 2 - 18 Vikings Times Sacked (Number-Yards) 6 - 18

Neither team made a PICK.

Both teams were similar in Kicks and Punts.

There wasn't anything in the penalty differential.

Comment woodbuck27:

So why did we not win at home to this team? Why did we lose to a team ranked near the bottom of the NFL? A team that is rumored 'to be tanking' to secure a higher to even the NO. 1 Draft pick; and not that I buy into that too much.

Where should the most blame be laid for the Packers not securing this very important win?

IMO that falls on the decision of MM to go with starting Scott Tolzien and most critically staying too long with Scott Tolzien in this game.

MM had to be prepared to make a change at QB as soon as that game began to go south.

Matt Flynn led us back from a whopping 16 points deficit. Why such a deficit before Flynn came in?

Overall who was the biggest DUD for the Packer side?

That sad distinction IMO falls to Mike McCarthy.

He's the Head Coach and he must get the blame. I can't wait for his Press Conference this week to see how he shoves off on this 'not a win'. That tie was as exciting when you come right down to it as... 'kissing your sister'. We were so fortunate to secure that tie.

That game was drawn back from 'it had gone to hell'.

Isn't that 'a fact'?

PACKERS !

Bossman641
11-25-2013, 08:11 AM
Dud - House

denverYooper
11-25-2013, 08:44 AM
The Ds been looking generally tired since the bye week. :(

They should probably talk to Seattle about getting some pep back in their step. Seems like there's plenty to go around in the Pacific NW.

Cheesehead Craig
11-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Dud - House

His dropped pick 6 was the key to the whole game. He gets that and it's 14-3 and we have huge amounts of momentum.

denverYooper
11-25-2013, 08:46 AM
His dropped pick 6 was the key to the whole game. He gets that and it's 14-3 and we have huge amounts of momentum.

Tampa had a similar looking opportunity that they turned into 6.

Harlan Huckleby
11-25-2013, 08:58 AM

Tolzien being crappy does not make Flynn any better.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-25-2013, 09:06 AM
That's the other thing thats been bothering me other than piss poor tackling, is all the dropped interceptions. I mean, tackling drills and catching drills are basic football 101, how does this shit happen?

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-25-2013, 09:13 AM
So where are we really? Yes, we have a lot of injuries but lately this seems the norm, and not sure why we would expect it to get better next year or the year after. Running game has improved significantly. defensive backfield is worse, offensive line is worse, defensive line is neutral, linebackers are worse but even if you say neutral, just not good enough for playoff city, quarterback by far the strength of the team, well, 1st string anyway, special teams seem to always suck, receivers should be ok once we get some of the walking wounded back. Trying to remove my packer tinted glasses, I'm not sure why we all hope they get to the playoffs, as a team they just don't seem to be playoff worthy/competitive.

Upnorth
11-25-2013, 09:56 AM
If we can get healthy and make the playoffs I think we can compete and make some noise. Rodgers overcomes a huge amount of defensive carp.
As to studs and duds, Stud Lacy, Mathews and Flynn
Dud, 4th and 2 in OT call, Tolzien and Jolly's groin. I think if we had Jolly in this would have been a completely different game, dude is huge for our dline.

woodbuck27
11-25-2013, 10:10 AM
If we can get healthy and make the playoffs I think we can compete and make some noise. Rodgers overcomes a huge amount of defensive carp.
Dud, 4th and 2 in OT call, Tolzien and Jolly's groin. I think if we had Jolly in this would have been a completely different game, dude is huge for our dline.

Instead of BJ Raji can the Packers simply truck a huge piece of fudge out there?

He's become a lump of useless flesh.

pbmax
11-25-2013, 10:15 AM

I disagree that Lattimore is more physical, but I agree with your assessment of Jones as part of the problem in run defense. He makes a lot of reads to get into gaps for a free run and is wrong WAY too often. Lattimore was slower to react and therefore was less often out of position. The irony is that last year Jones being slow to read and react cost them versus running QBs and Peterson.

This year he is trying to diagnose faster but is now getting himself in the wrong place. I agree Lattimore on 1st and 2nd down might help.

Jones is still the best ILB for the dime, even with Hawk having a great year.

denverYooper
11-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Instead of BJ Raji can the Packers simply truck a huge piece of fudge out there?

He's become a lump of useless flesh.

I don't know about this. He's more like Hawk as a high pick -- not as many splash plays as you'd like out of a high pick but he's pretty good and he's got elite availability.

denverYooper
11-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Boykin was a stud. He had a strong game receiving, but he also played defense and broke up 2 potential interceptions.

oldbutnotdeadyet
11-25-2013, 11:24 AM
I agree, Boykin has been a very pleasant surprise.

bobblehead
11-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Funny, that was my exact text to my friend when they pulled him.

bobblehead
11-25-2013, 11:35 AM
I am off the Tolzien bandwagon. He is dead to me.

Flynn played admirably, and I concede I am being a bit of a dick about it.

I fear the Lions D coordinator is going to game plan for Flynn's rag arm, and Packers O is going to grind to halt. We'll see. I'm expressing my frustration at both backups, and I think Flynn's prospects are out of focus.

Big thing with flynn though. When they do play for his rag arm he knows exactly where to go. I still remember people hammering him for throwing that "bomb" on 4th and 1 with game on the line that time. It was the right decision. Everything underneath was being defended, they stacked the box for the run, and Flynn attacked the right spot. It won't always work, but it only has to leave a mark to loosen up the underneath stuff.

Fritz
11-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Boykin was a stud. He had a strong game receiving, but he also played defense and broke up 2 potential interceptions.

From Tyler Dunne, talking about the players' apparent attitudes after the game: "For the most part, players sounded defeated."

This - the team's attitude - is the biggest dud of all. I really, really thought this team could tread water - as in 2-2 during these last four games - without Rodgers and the other injured players. Not 0-3-1.

I am disappointed that the defense is playing so, so poorly - they seem to be getting pushed around regularly. What the hell happened?

In the end, this falls on MM. His job is to get them ready to play hard and smart, and they don't. They flounder, they lack energy, they miss tackles, they get pushed out of gaps, they drop interceptions, they drop passes.

Of course the injuries have hurt them. Of course. You can't deny that, even without Rodgers, had the team had a healthier group - Shields, Finley, Jolly, Perry, Cobb - it would have done much better.

However, the team's listlessness is not a result of a lack of talent. That's on the coach.

Their attitude is a dud, and MM is a pud.

woodbuck27
11-25-2013, 01:02 PM
From Tyler Dunne, talking about the players' apparent attitudes after the game: "For the most part, players sounded defeated."

This - the team's attitude - is the biggest dud of all. I really, really thought this team could tread water - as in 2-2 during these last four games - without Rodgers and the other injured players. Not 0-3-1.

I am disappointed that the defense is playing so, so poorly - they seem to be getting pushed around regularly. What the hell happened?

In the end, this falls on MM. His job is to get them ready to play hard and smart, and they don't. They flounder, they lack energy, they miss tackles, they get pushed out of gaps, they drop interceptions, they drop passes.

Of course the injuries have hurt them. Of course. You can't deny that, even without Rodgers, had the team had a healthier group - Shields, Finley, Jolly, Perry, Cobb - it would have done much better.

However, the team's listlessness is not a result of a lack of talent. That's on the coach.

That's a bold post.

For that I commend you because too many here will avoid any criticism of MM.

They'll drum up his past achievements and overall record and ignore that it's all now about ....now.

pbmax
11-25-2013, 01:06 PM

While it doesn't address your primary charge, Dunne was talking about their reaction to a tie. Whether the players would view it positively after a big comeback and near certain defeat or view it as a loss regardless.

He is telling us the players took it hard like a loss.

Guiness
11-25-2013, 01:11 PM

Jolly being in might've made a difference, but on paper it didn't. He was replaced by CJ Wilson who is a good run defender, and that was supposed to be what the Pack had to worry about Sunday. You know, as opposed to Ponder having a 129 QB rating (seriously, wtf????)

Patler
11-25-2013, 01:59 PM
There were no studs for GB yesterday.
This was against the Vikings.
GB failed to beat the Vikings.
There were no studs.

Not even Lacy, who admitted that he had a lane to the end zone on one of his two carries inside the 10 yard line in overtime. He said he read it wrong and missed the lane.

Studs rise up and win the game when the opportunity is there. Lacy wasn't a dud, but neither was he a stud.

SkinBasket
11-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Brad Jones is a dud. The guy had concrete shoes on the entire game. When he looked good, it was usually the result of another player. I used to think he might serve adequately, but shit was he slow and showed the decisiveness of a drunk kitten yesterday.

McCarthy's goal line playcalling in OT was worse than dudlike. It was unmanly and smelled of cowardice.

Pugger
11-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Xavier Rhodes looked like an all-pro, never heard of the guy.

Rhodes got knocked on his fanny by Lacy. Eddie made him look like rag doll.

Pugger
11-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Jolly being in might've made a difference, but on paper it didn't. He was replaced by CJ Wilson who is a good run defender, and that was supposed to be what the Pack had to worry about Sunday. You know, as opposed to Ponder having a 129 QB rating (seriously, wtf????)

And then Wilson left the game hurt.

Rutnstrut
11-26-2013, 11:52 AM
That's the other thing thats been bothering me other than piss poor tackling, is all the dropped interceptions. I mean, tackling drills and catching drills are basic football 101, how does this shit happen?

I've said it for YEARS now, for some reason a Dom Capers defense doesn't seem to practice the fundamentals.

smuggler
11-27-2013, 02:08 AM
For those who don't know, Matt Flynn is either going to have Tommy John surgery in the offseason, or (more likely) retire. So, keep criticism of him to yourself, if you please.

bobblehead
11-27-2013, 04:01 AM
For those who don't know, Matt Flynn is either going to have Tommy John surgery in the offseason, or (more likely) retire. So, keep criticism of him to yourself, if you please.

Is there a reliable source to this?

Patler
11-27-2013, 06:22 AM

If so, his career is probably done either way. Recovery from Tommy John surgery is long, at least a year, sometimes even longer. He would likely miss all of 2014 at a minimum. I doubt there will be much interest in him after that.

woodbuck27
11-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Is there a reliable source to this?

I just found this and.... take note of ** the date:

http://packers.timesfour.com/topic/matt-flynn-1?page=4

Hungry5

It's not a democracy. At some point, I will make the call.

** November 8, 2013 9:13 AM

(Jason) Wilde reported this morning that the workout won't be until next week, and one "source" Jason talked to said Flynn's elbow is "really messed up" - like "needing Tommy John surgery" bad..

Then this or five (5) days later:

November 13, 2013 3:00 PM

@Paulimig

Matt Flynn on his elbow issue: "The only time it ever affected me was during training camp."

@TomSilverstein

QB Matt Flynn: "I know I can still play the position and I know I can still play in the NFL. I'm just blessed to have this opportunity."

Comment woodbuck27:

You be the judge on that being reliable. I'm with this LADY:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/323c21eb9227c6f753661c63f2d41389/tumblr_mt0w8uOAMH1rhwl4ko2_r1_500.jpg

PACKERS !

Pugger
11-27-2013, 10:19 AM

If his arm is this screwed up why would we sign him or put him in down 20-6 on Sunday? Are the choices of QBs out there that picked over?

woodbuck27
11-27-2013, 11:44 AM
There were no studs for GB yesterday.
This was against the Vikings.
GB failed to beat the Vikings.
There were no studs.

Not even Lacy, who admitted that he had a lane to the end zone on one of his two carries inside the 10 yard line in overtime. He said he read it wrong and missed the lane.

Studs rise up and win the game when the opportunity is there. Lacy wasn't a dud, but neither was he a stud.

PFF was impressed with the way that Eddie Lacy graded out in this game Patler. They gave him....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/25/refo-vikings-packers-week-12/

The .......... Game Ball !

The luxury of a tied game is that you don’t feel obliged to choose someone from the winning team and, with another big performance, Eddie Lacy was the best player on the field on Sunday. ...PFF

Patler:

I did note that still somehow PFF feels somewhat as you do in terms of that game being a miserable tie.

Yup .... it was a tie but it's been so long since I got that excited watching a Packer game. If you didn't see it 'LIVE' maybe ...you wouldn't understand.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
11-27-2013, 11:52 AM
If his arm is this screwed up why would we sign him or put him in down 20-6 on Sunday? Are the choices of QBs out there that picked over?

I take that as a rumor Pugger. I wouldn't season that with a grain of salt. :!:

I checked that info. out this morning and Matt Flynn and needing Tommy John surgery at Seasons end...!?

mmmm ... I'm not exactly buying it ... so it's simply a rumor and that's a zero where I come from...and beside that...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVuiGDI6E10pkUDMhMrnzx5277FVFVf kTxrfmWjYG5bFP_VDdP

Right now Matt Flynn has the best bones.

GO PACKERS !

Patler
11-27-2013, 12:01 PM
PFF was impressed with the way that Eddie Lacy graded out in this game Patler. They gave him....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/25/refo-vikings-packers-week-12/

The .......... Game Ball !

The luxury of a tied game is that you don’t feel obliged to choose someone from the winning team and, with another big performance, Eddie Lacy was the best player on the field on Sunday. ...PFF

Patler:

I did note that still somehow PFF feels somewhat as you do in terms of that game being a miserable tie.

Yup .... it was a tie but it's been so long since I got that excited watching a Packer game. If you didn't see it 'LIVE' maybe ...you wouldn't understand.

PACKERS !

Ya, Lacy had a fine game. I agree. He ran really tough and hard. I was sort of kidding, but not completely.

It's frustrating when even he had a chance to win the game, and didn't. Maybe he was just being overly critical of himself, but he said on one of the two carries inside the 10 yard line during overtime (he didn't say which one) he had a lane to the end zone. But, he said he misread the blocking and didn't get there. If he scores the TD, the Packers win without MN even getting the ball in OT. For that slip-up alone, I have a hard time designating him as a stud in this game.

woodbuck27
11-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Ya, Lacy had a fine game. I agree. He ran really tough and hard. I was sort of kidding, but not completely.

It's frustrating when even he had a chance to win the game, and didn't. Maybe he was just being overly critical of himself, but he said on one of the two carries inside the 10 yard line during overtime (he didn't say which one) he had a lane to the end zone. But, he said he misread the blocking and didn't get there. If he scores the TD, the Packers win without MN even getting the ball in OT. For that slip-up alone, I have a hard time designating him as a stud in this game.

He's got room to improve and as a running back in the NFL does the learning curve ever end?

I felt that he was sometimes his own worst enemy Vs the GIANTS box.

He took the wrong lane and simply missed seeing the blitzer lining him up. He's certainly is a load.

Finally I have a favourite Packer again. :-)

GO PACK !