PDA

View Full Version : JSO Article: Madden says Favre could be traded

Guiness
04-13-2006, 11:10 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=415322

I generally don't like Madden, but this was a good article. He's not claiming to know anything, just that he wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.

He makes another good comment about the fact that Favre better make up his mind soon if he's going to get in shape to play.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 12:32 PM
I saw the interview on NFL Channel, and it was pure speculation. He's a waffler. Then he said that Favre said he'd never play for another team. He's not real credible on these types of things, IMHO.

Sparkey
04-13-2006, 01:40 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=415322

I generally don't like Madden, but this was a good article. He's not claiming to know anything, just that he wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.

He makes another good comment about the fact that Favre better make up his mind soon if he's going to get in shape to play.

From a purely business aspect, trading Favre could be good for the future of the Packers, if a team would be willing to part with some picks and those picks are used wisely in the draft.

Loyalty is all nice and good, but they are the Green Bay Packers and their long term plans should never be compromised for a short term, feel good proposition.

packrulz
04-13-2006, 02:37 PM
I'd rather see Favre & Walker come back, TT signs Arrington & Woodson, trade a 4th for Faine, draft Mario/Thomas Howard/Brian Calhoun, make the playoffs this year, & win the Super Bowl in 2008, Favre brings the Lombardi Trophy home, in Brett's final season. Probably not going to happen but is not impossible either. The Pack has improved and even with all the injuries 5 of those losses were by a field goal or less. I just don't think the Pack is as bad as some in the media, fans & maybe Favre, contend. Madden has a good point though, the clock is ticking and it's time for Brett to either go to work or retire. Brett said we should know soon. Two more years!

Harlan Huckleby
04-13-2006, 02:43 PM
[quote=Guiness]
From a purely business aspect, trading Favre could be good for the future of the Packers, if a team would be willing to part with some picks and those picks are used wisely in the draft.

I agree. But I think Favre is sincere when he says that he doesn't want to play for another team.

I think we are watching a very, very long goodbye to football.

woodbuck27
04-13-2006, 03:55 PM
"From a purely business aspect, trading Favre could be good for the future of the Packers, if a team would be willing to part with some picks and those picks are used wisely in the draft.

Loyalty is all nice and good, but they are the Green Bay Packers and their long term plans should never be compromised for a short term, feel good proposition." Sparkey

Woh woh woh !

These are . . the Green Bay Packers and considering who we are talking about. . .

Likely the most popular player in the NFL over the past dozen years, a first ballot HOFer, and moreso a Packer / NFL Great/Legend and to top it off, potentially a man who could possibly set every record as an NFL QB, with the exception being most yard's passing.Add in the respect this man has as a man of character and decency who seems to always put others before himself in all aspects of his living.

Do you seriously believe if you are Ted Thompson ,you just up and trade Brett Favre?

I will argue, absolutely ' no way ' you do that, if you have an ounce of sense.

The mere suggestion of moving Favre out for a 3rd to 5th draft pick/picks as you suggest, is nonsence if you are Ted Thompson.

1. Brett Favre always said he would retire a Packer.Would you insult that ?

2. Two out of three Packer Fans have clearly expressed (in polls) that they want Brett Favre back for this Season. More then 50% of Packer fans believe he will return, even considering all the negative media of the past two months.

If Ted Thompson just up and traded Brett Favre he may as well put his ass in a sling. Ted Thompson is dead in the water, unless Favre retires with all that's gone on . If he ever tried to trade Favre his problems would compound immensely.

Ted Thompson has done squat to help OUR "O" and Brett Favre be truly encouraged to return. Ted Thompson can moan all he wants ala " he thought Brett would 'in fact' return, so he went in this or that direction", but it won't wash with Packer fans, loyal to what Brett Favre, is still to them.

Packer fans will be further upset, over the message that Ted Thompson will send to the rest of the active players in the NFL .That message is in process already, as the honor and pride of the Packer Organization is being judged by all watching the the Favre affair.

Who wants to join an Organization that has a man like Ted Thompson using his "slither approach" to handling affairs? Ted Thompson may have known a few things on Scouting, but he's proving squat as a GM. He can't even handle / hang on to his HOF QB !

3. Good idea to trade Favre Eh ? "good for the future of the Packers ?".
Favre has told us , one more Season. We already know that if he retires we don't gain a hill of beans against the cap after Aaron Rodgers incentives kick in and we do need another experienced QB to cover his butt for one or two Seasons.You are aware that retire or not the Packers owe him $5 million or so. How many times did Favre redo his Contract to assist packer finances to make this or that personnel move? Ted thompson can't even make any decent effort to give favre some dignity at retirement.Outrageous !

4.Good idea to trade Favre Eh? What was OUR record last Seaon? Do you really believe it will be alot better with Aaron Rodgers behind Center? Lets be kind here and offer another 4-12 Season to the Packers with Rodgers.What do you think after trading Favre, Ted Thompson's position will be in, with the people that OWN the Team, the Fans?

Ted Thompson has alot more control, on Ted's future, with Brett Favre playing this Season, Big Time ! The majority won't buy into " well I really felt he would return, not retire" plea , if Brett Favre retires and OUR composite record after two Seasons of the Ted Thompson watch is 8-24 or WORSE !

Now do you think that Ted would up and trade Brett? Maybe he would he acts that stupid to me !

People really believe that Ted Thompson is in control. What a crock !

His greatest wish is that Brett Favre requests a trade.His second greatest is that he'll just retire.Go away.

Favre can sit this one out. What is the alternative? Aaron Rodgers step up to the plate and lets see what you've got. That's it .That's all that's left.

Nope ! That doesn't go down ,as the heat will go on Ted sometime after the draft and he needs Brett Favre in one jersey.

OURS ! To get there he better be thinking of some offence in the draft.He had beter get serious over signing one or both of Woodson and Arrington.He can afford Arrington.Screw the excuses.Get it done !

Ted Thompson will never trade Brett Favre. Unless he's masochistic.

BENZITO
04-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Favre is not going to be traded. If Favre wanted to be traded wouldnt he have said that to the media. He has already told them he wants the packers to upgrade their roster or he most likely will not be back. Why would Favre even make a statement like that if he wants to be traded, he could just say upgrade the OL or trade me. FAVRE DOES NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR ANY OTHER TEAM THAN THE GREEN BAY PACKERS.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I agree, and I think most on here would agree also. It's amazing to see people believing wild speculation.

Guiness
04-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Ok, Green Bay is a small town, and hunting is a popular sport.

I'm thinking, and I'm not kidding, that if TT traded BF, Green Bay would be a dangerous place to walk down the street for him.

Gunplay aside, it just wouldn't be worth it for a single first day pick. I guarantee you that TT trading him would lead to his having to leave town due to the abuse he'd take from the regular fan. Not to mention the cook at the local McD's spitting in his burger.

Sparkey
04-13-2006, 09:07 PM
"From a purely business aspect, trading Favre could be good for the future of the Packers, if a team would be willing to part with some picks and those picks are used wisely in the draft.

Loyalty is all nice and good, but they are the Green Bay Packers and their long term plans should never be compromised for a short term, feel good proposition." Sparkey

Woh woh woh !

The mere suggestion of moving Favre out for a 3rd to 5th draft pick/picks as you suggest, is nonsence if you are Ted Thompson.

Try re-reading my post. No where did I say what you are attributing me too saying. All I said was what any real packer fan knows. With or without Favre this next, the team has zero chance of winning a super bowl so if a trade were too happen, it would benefit the Packer team's future.

GBRulz
04-13-2006, 09:13 PM
I need to find TT's hangouts! I see players and coaches out all the time in this town, but not once have seen TT out and about.

Maybe he's smarter than we give him credit for? :lol:

woodbuck27
04-13-2006, 09:32 PM

Woh woh woh !

Try re-reading my post. No where did I say what you are attributing me too saying. All I said was what any real packer fan knows. With or without Favre this next, the team has zero chance of winning a super bowl so if a trade were too happen, it would benefit the Packer team's future.

I read your post Sparkey.

The suggestion of a trade of Favre by you is very clear in it's content. Thus my rebuttal.

Packer fans knowing whether we will win or loose in 2006 with or without Favre 'is moot' , as it's not realistic to imagine or suggest Ted Thompson trading Brett Favre ,unless Brett requests that trade.

I won't say that Brett may not change his mind about retiring as a Packer. People do change their minds, but given that he wants to retire a Packer and play one more Season, and not have to go into a brand new system this late in his career. I don't see Brett Favre requesting a trade. Maybe he wants to win really bad? It sure won't happen in Green Bay in 2006.

Still for reasons I stated in the other post.Ted Thompson won't, of his own needs, ever try to trade Brett Favre.

That is my position.