PDA

View Full Version : Before you look at this thread. Ask yourself ... Who is George Sauer?

woodbuck27
11-28-2013, 05:23 AM
If your from Wisconsin you likely knew the answer to my question.

All the same please indulge me:

In a recent poll asking among those listed. Who was the greatest WR? I discovered these results:

Fred Biletnikoff 6%

Deion Branch 2%

Santonio Holmes 1%

Michael Irvin 5%

Max McGee 3%

Jerry Rice 60%

George Sauer 4%

John Stallworth 2%

Lynn Swann 15%

John Taylor 1%

All the familiar names and like me you may see some missing but of those familiar names one stood out to me. Who was/is that guy? I asked myself why didn't I know anything about that guy?

There he sat with a respectable 4% of the votes and I didn't recall this football player.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJnetL6KgQQVW_2r0dgUsDlOJdcqOoX XUEs-f-Umy8WidKG3VI

NO. 83 - New York JETS - George Sauer

I scratched my head. Really ... who was this guy? Ok so... here's this guy in a football jersey ....

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL8AAWgrzXB-rOAv_-wmjFcqke-fC_NjJ7YLOa4noApr1Ig6FVDg

I didn't get it as he looked so soft. Not at all Ray Nitschke/Dick Butkus tough looking. Geee those guys just looked at you to earn their stardom.

All the same here he stood as an acknowledged star NFL player !?

Yup ... evidently that would describe George Sauer Jr.

More head scratchin' .... but look at him here running like a gazelle.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRP0H8JBhNDXqiYbRXq1eahLUyOjx8U0 GjzlMUtEuC_gAPmE53L

So what can any Packerrat tell me about this guy? An exploration of which may fascinate you?

PACKERS !

bobblehead
11-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Who in their right minds would vote for Irvin over Rice? They played at the same time, and Rice dominated him in every offensive category including nose hairs (Michael kept his trim so as not to interrupt the cocaine flow).

Guiness
11-28-2013, 07:05 AM
I assume this was some sort of an internet poll, so some troll votes and/or regional ones. Deon Branch or Santonio Holmes GOAT? Not even their own mothers mother think so.

edit: Looks like GS Jr was the star receiver of the Jets win over the Colts in SBIII so they would be happy enough to write him in.

KYPack
11-28-2013, 07:06 AM
George Sauer Jr wasn't the best receiver on his own team. He was the #2 guy on the Joe Namath Jets. Don Maynard was a HOF WR for that team. George was a good hustling kid & all, but I can't imagine anyone naming him the greatest receiver of all time.

woodbuck27
11-28-2013, 07:27 AM
I assume this was some sort of an internet poll, so some troll votes and/or regional ones. Deon Branch or Santonio Holmes GOAT? Not even their own mothers mother think so.

Yes to all above.... and ... with Jerry Rice on the list, why do any of the rest get a vote? That's inside a part of what it means to be a fan.

fan... a part of fan... tastic. ;-)

Yea .... I'm all over the Net Guiness reading football.

I couldn't easily now track down where I discovered that poll. What I took away from reading it was the name George Sauer and not knowing anything about this star NY Jet player from back in the late 1960's.

After some thought... I understand reasons for that now.

I might have focused on these retired WR's missing from the list offered by that Poll:

Don Hutson; Paul Warfield, Lance Alworth , Steve Largent or maybe?... a fella that finally made it into the NFL HOF... Chris Carter. There are more that have retired in the last decade...last few years.

No ... for me this thread was going to be ... all about A NY Jet WR named George Sauer.

GO PACK GO !

Upnorth
11-28-2013, 11:10 AM
The poll should have two names, Hutson and Rice

woodbuck27
11-28-2013, 02:13 PM
The poll should have two names, Hutson and Rice

Maybe with those two:

Lance Alworth and Paul Warfield.