PDA

View Full Version : Packers @ Lions Game Review ... OT Derek Sherrod's Performance ... and more

woodbuck27
11-30-2013, 05:08 PM
I just finished a 3 1/2 hour buffet offering of pure masochism. The Packers at Lions Thanks 'Packers For Giving' Day game.

I wanted to review RT Derek Sherrods performance as he came in with 4:12 remaining in the 4th Qtr.

1. On the first snap Sherrod made a nice stretch 'left' inside crack block. It left his feet intentionally and that aggressive play looked fine to me.

2. Sherrod moved again, inside left as the call was a rush left (James Starks) for a short gain. He wasn't effectively involved in that play.

3. Derek Sherrod demonstrated solid technique moving back and to his right and 'clockwise' to protect the pocket... blocking the Lions left DE. He was successful in his contain.

4. James Starks is called for a right center run and Sherrod trys a lead block and falls down.

Two Minute Warning:

5. Sherrod effectively pass blocks on a long pass and reception Flynn >>> James Jones. An outstanding grab by JJ (56 yards) and Matt Flynn padding (LOL) his game Stat's.

6. The Packers are deep in the Red Zone after and on the next and last disastrous play of this 'sour pill' of a game. Derek Sherrod moves left after the snap and falls down. The snap seemed sloppy and that might have contributed to a Matt Flynn fumble. The Lions Willie Young pounced on the ball ... Turn Over to Detroit.

So that was backup RT Derrick Sherrod's day. Overall he held his own.

I saw so much ugly in a review of this game. I saw a lot of frustration on the faces of Packer players. I just simply saw a badly defeated football team. I hope before I die I'll never witness such a debacle again. I've seldom seen anything that bad in Pro Sports. The LIONS put an old fashioned ass whipping on the Packers.

A forecast of things to come was witnessing Josh Sitton trying to spit just after the National Anthem and only managing to spit on his beard. He'll get some ribbing for that. :???:

** I feel our best player on both sides of the ball was Sam Shields. He covered Calvin Johnson very well and made two outstanding end zone saves on Megatron, including a juggling pick. He gave up coverage on one pass play late in the game but overall he was our best. There weren't many that were even decent more so ... good in this match.

** Best Offensive player >>> James Jones.

** Their best players:

* Reggie Bush 20 carries for 117 yards (5.6 Avg) and a TD. He had 5 receptions on 5 targets for another 65 yards. A total of 182 yards. The Lions look better this season with this man in their backfield.

** Calvin Johnson and it was close between these two LIONS. Megatron finished with 6 catch's for 101 yards and a TD. Proof that Sam Shields did his job well.

Third star... Former Green Bay Packer WR Jeremy Ross over Matthew Stafford. Ross made key offensive plays. He made the reception that tied the game at 10 all. Later Ross set up the go ahead TD with his 35 yard return scamper down the right side line. (Reggie Bush - 1 Yard run) that put the LIONS ahead 17-10 near the end of the first half. The LIONS never looked back. Jeremy Ross's TD was the start of a '30' unanswered point run.

What else did I see? Not a lot to report that was positive.

A) The OL looked just plain bad after losing EDS. There's simply not enough depth there now. If that OL doesn't get straightened out. It would be folly to even consider bringing Aaron Rodgers back. The risk exceeds any reward with such a move.

B) Players that are now ... next to useless:

I) Marshal Newhouse .... wasted flesh. Replace him... Cut him.

ii ) BJ Raji is awful... I mean he's not worth any CAP space and his rejection of an $8 Million$ offer if that's true IMO labels him as clearly arrogant /stupid. If TT actually signs him that would be a clear example of extreme unnatural profligacy. He's not worth half any $8 M$ offer to resign.

iii) Tramon Williams is a punk. He acted that way twice during the game. I actually saw him go to the sidelines after his second unwarranted temper tantrum and MM approached him with some words and then..... MM slapped him on the butt. WTF was that? I'm incredulous that MM did that. Instead he should have been severely admonished by Mike McCarthy.

C) MM's play calling in this game is again... questionable. You saw the game. Why go over ...... nothing. Our time of possession on the clock was < 20 minutes. Our offense was out score 4:1. Their offensive output in yards Vs the Packers works out to about a 10:1 ratio.

That's clearly disgusting . That's just one game too and it's history. It's up to Mike McCarthy to make moves that set up a positive change next game. The Green Bay Packers are still alive for a play off berth. A 'longer shot' yes.... but it's NOT gone.

D) Matt Flynn:

What's with the underneath blind slants and leading the receiver into crushing tackles. That's the sort of shit play calling that ends a players career. No ... no way it resulted from a QB option. Matt Flynn cannot see the open man ie TE Quarless on two-three occasions as that #2 option and then when Quarless is double covered. Flynn tries to force a sloppy toss left that's easily picked. . . . See Mike McCarthy and play calling immediately above.

Matt Flynn's arm is far from a gun. He completed one long one to James jones late in the game catching the Lion defense a tad asleep. By then that game was long over.

Overall Flynn passed ... 10/20 for 139 yards and 0 TD and 1 Pick.

Flynn 139 Yards Vs Tolzien and 280 Yards and 339 Yards. That's an easy call.

Matt Flynn's QB rating was a Dear God help that man... '2.1'. Yup...a QBR of Two - Point - One.

OK Flynn didn't have an OL after the exit of EDS and so he suffered seven (7) SACKs and a Pick and too much heat and too many hurries but that man isn't athletic like Tolzien. Flynn's arm isn't as alive as Tolziens.

How many times have any of you seen anything even close to that in terms of awful?

If I'm MM my plan is ringing up >>> the other guy... Scott Tolzien and I'm certainly surprized to be writing that.

Packers Home TO the Atlanta Falcons or next up.

Overall Matt Flynn demonstrated to me that he doesn't deserve to start the next game. Yet ... really for Mike McCarthy what's the alternative but not much.

This screw up at backup QB is on Ted Thompson... not Mike McCarthy. He can only work with what he's supplied by the GM.

It shouldn't under any circumstance be Aaron Rodgers.

MM may logically have to go back to Scott Tolzien. MM has to see who gets better prepared and with a Thursday game it's like a 1/2 bye week. MM has time to prepare his QB for next up.

Next up ... SUCKS this year. Next up is the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau Field. Get it done Mike McCarthy. Pay attention to Atlanta at Buffalo in Toronto, Canada this Sunday (tomorrow). Pay attention to what Matt Ryan may do. What the Falcons do.

E) The DL overall:

In two words... 'severely challenged' ... I'm being polite.

F) LB Brad Jones:

He's OK as long as the play is straight at him but if he has to run to the ball at the side or behind him ! He moves like an non athletic girl. He has a better figure than most. I just don't get Brad Jones as an answer in the middle of our 3-4 'D' and the future.

G) The Secondary

Overall if you take away the fine work of Sam Shields the Packer DB's failed in this game. Matthew Stafford passed for 330 yards ( 9.9 Yard Avg.) connecting with 9 receivers. It's almost like sometimes they have a little discussion on the field before someone tries a tackle. I'm not exaggerating. There's still the issue with them playing too soft. If your not hard hitting and near by then you'd better be fast and man-man. The Packers have much to be desired at Safety and need to address that this off season.

I took a pile of notes watching this game in review. I saw too much that was genuinely ugly.

It's all now behind the Green Bay Packers. This team has to somehow work it's tail off to recover for Atlanta at home.

TT ... Let BJ Raji walk away from Green Bay.

I'll take you back to that rumored or actual $8 M$ offer to B.J Raji and say that's just not any sense now. BJ Raji is not in the game. BJ Raji is on many plays essentially invisible. I concentrated on his play and I'm not wrong.

TT ! Please !! On the other side .... Sam Shields and James Jones: I want Ted Thompson to realize the value in CB Sam Shields and WR James jones and get busy with offers to these players ASAP. To neglect that is plain n' simple wrong. It's wrong to procrastinate in that regard on too many levels.

GO PACK GO!

denverYooper
11-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Nice job Woody. Repped.

woodbuck27
11-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Nice job Woody. Repped.

That post...and review of the game = approx. 5-6 hours.... time to do.

I have a Lady that loves me. :whist:

Pugger
11-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Woody, you don't put any blame on McCarthy for sticking with Harrell and Coleman as long as he did? I'm sure both TT and MM talk about personnel moves and draft strategy. I place the blame for our backup QB situation at the feet of both gentlemen.

woodbuck27
11-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Woody, you don't put any blame on McCarthy for sticking with Harrell and Coleman as long as he did? I'm sure both TT and MM talk about personnel moves and draft strategy. I place the blame for our backup QB situation at the feet of both gentlemen.

Of course TT and MM screwed up there.

Yes I believe that was obvious to many Packer fans.

As any Packer fan paying even slightly more than average attention to the team should have had an awareness of that obvious weakness.

It's simply this.... and as I thought I understood it:

Any NFL team is really only as strong as the competence of it's backup QB to sustain the team competitively over a period of at least 2-5 games.

KYPack
11-30-2013, 09:19 PM

Yes, Pug.

I've long had trouble with Harrell being our back-up.

He not only didn't have "it" he was so far from an NFL QB, it was ridiculous.

Now that is no longer a factor, Flynn (or another vet back-up) and a development kid should be the rule.

Why Coleman was around after last season, I'll never know.

KYPack
11-30-2013, 09:22 PM
I just finished a 3 1/2 hour buffet offering of pure masochism. The Packers at Lions Thanks 'Packers For Giving' Day game.

I wanted to review RT Derek Sherrods performance as he came in with 4:12 remaining in the 4th Qtr.

1. On the first snap Sherrod made a nice stretch 'left' inside crack block. It left his feet intentionally and that aggressive play looked fine to me.

2. Sherrod moved again, inside left as the call was a rush left (James Starks) for a short gain. He wasn't effectively involved in that play.

3. Derek Sherrod demonstrated solid technique moving back and to his right and 'clockwise' to protect the pocket... blocking the Lions left DE. He was successful in his contain.

4. James Starks is called for a right center run and Sherrod trys a lead block and falls down.

Two Minute Warning:

5. Sherrod effectively pass blocks on a long pass and reception Flynn >>> James Jones. An outstanding grab by JJ (56 yards) and Matt Flynn padding (LOL) his game Stat's.

6. The Packers are deep in the Red Zone after and on the next and last disastrous play of this 'sour pill' of a game. Derek Sherrod moves left after the snap and falls down. The snap seemed sloppy and that might have contributed to a Matt Flynn fumble. The Lions Willie Young pounced on the ball ... Turn Over to Detroit.

So that was backup RT Derrick Sherrod's day. Overall he held his own.

I saw so much ugly in a review of this game. I saw a lot of frustration on the faces of Packer players. I just simply saw a badly defeated football team. I hope before I die I'll never witness such a debacle again. I've seldom seen anything that bad in Pro Sports. The LIONS put an old fashioned ass whipping on the Packers.

A forecast of things to come was witnessing Josh Sitton trying to spit just after the National Anthem and only managing to spit on his beard. He'll get some ribbing for that. :???:

** I feel our best player on both sides of the ball was Sam Shields. He covered Calvin Johnson very well and made two outstanding end zone saves on Megatron, including a juggling pick. He gave up coverage on one pass play late in the game but overall he was our best. There weren't many that were even decent more so ... good in this match.

** Best Offensive player >>> James Jones.

** Their best players:

* Reggie Bush 20 carries for 117 yards (5.6 Avg) and a TD. He had 5 receptions on 5 targets for another 65 yards. A total of 182 yards. The Lions look better this season with this man in their backfield.

** Calvin Johnson and it was close between these two LIONS. Megatron finished with 6 catch's for 101 yards and a TD. Proof that Sam Shields did his job well.

Third star... Former Green Bay Packer WR Jeremy Ross over Matthew Stafford. Ross made key offensive plays. He made the reception that tied the game at 10 all. Later Ross set up the go ahead TD with his 35 yard return scamper down the right side line. (Reggie Bush - 1 Yard run) that put the LIONS ahead 17-10 near the end of the first half. The LIONS never looked back. Jeremy Ross's TD was the start of a '30' unanswered point run.

What else did I see? Not a lot to report that was positive.

A) The OL looked just plain bad after losing EDS. There's simply not enough depth there now. If that OL doesn't get straightened out. It would be folly to even consider bringing Aaron Rodgers back. The risk exceeds any reward with such a move.

B) Players that are now ... next to useless:

I) Marshal Newhouse .... wasted flesh. Replace him... Cut him.

ii ) BJ Raji is awful... I mean he's not worth any CAP space and his rejection of an $8 Million$ offer if that's true IMO labels him as clearly arrogant /stupid. If TT actually signs him that would be a clear example of extreme unnatural profligacy. He's not worth half any $8 M$ offer to resign.

iii) Tramon Williams is a punk. He acted that way twice during the game. I actually saw him go to the sidelines after his second unwarranted temper tantrum and MM approached him with some words and then..... MM slapped him on the butt. WTF was that? I'm incredulous that MM did that. Instead he should have been severely admonished by Mike McCarthy.

C) MM's play calling in this game is again... questionable. You saw the game. Why go over ...... nothing. Our time of possession on the clock was < 20 minutes. Our offense was out score 4:1. Their offensive output in yards Vs the Packers works out to about a 10:1 ratio.

That's clearly disgusting . That's just one game too and it's history. It's up to Mike McCarthy to make moves that set up a positive change next game. The Green Bay Packers are still alive for a play off berth. A 'longer shot' yes.... but it's NOT gone.

D) Matt Flynn:

What's with the underneath blind slants and leading the receiver into crushing tackles. That's the sort of shit play calling that ends a players career. No ... no way it resulted from a QB option. Matt Flynn cannot see the open man ie TE Quarless on two-three occasions as that #2 option and then when Quarless is double covered. Flynn tries to force a sloppy toss left that's easily picked. . . . See Mike McCarthy and play calling immediately above.

Matt Flynn's arm is far from a gun. He completed one long one to James jones late in the game catching the Lion defense a tad asleep. By then that game was long over.

Overall Flynn passed ... 10/20 for 139 yards and 0 TD and 1 Pick.

Flynn 139 Yards Vs Tolzien and 280 Yards and 339 Yards. That's an easy call.

Matt Flynn's QB rating was a Dear God help that man... '2.1'. Yup...a QBR of Two - Point - One.

OK Flynn didn't have an OL after the exit of EDS and so he suffered seven (7) SACKs and a Pick and too much heat and too many hurries but that man isn't athletic like Tolzien. Flynn's arm isn't as alive as Tolziens.

How many times have any of you seen anything even close to that in terms of awful?

If I'm MM my plan is ringing up >>> the other guy... Scott Tolzien and I'm certainly surprized to be writing that.

Packers Home TO the Atlanta Falcons or next up.

Overall Matt Flynn demonstrated to me that he doesn't deserve to start the next game. Yet ... really for Mike McCarthy what's the alternative but not much.

This screw up at backup QB is on Ted Thompson... not Mike McCarthy. He can only work with what he's supplied by the GM.

It shouldn't under any circumstance be Aaron Rodgers.

MM may logically have to go back to Scott Tolzien. MM has to see who gets better prepared and with a Thursday game it's like a 1/2 bye week. MM has time to prepare his QB for next up.

Next up ... SUCKS this year. Next up is the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau Field. Get it done Mike McCarthy. Pay attention to Atlanta at Buffalo in Toronto, Canada this Sunday (tomorrow). Pay attention to what Matt Ryan may do. What the Falcons do.

E) The DL overall:

In two words... 'severely challenged' ... I'm being polite.

F) LB Brad Jones:

He's OK as long as the play is straight at him but if he has to run to the ball at the side or behind him ! He moves like an non athletic girl. He has a better figure than most. I just don't get Brad Jones as an answer in the middle of our 3-4 'D' and the future.

G) The Secondary

Overall if you take away the fine work of Sam Shields the Packer DB's failed in this game. Matthew Stafford passed for 330 yards ( 9.9 Yard Avg.) connecting with 9 receivers. It's almost like sometimes they have a little discussion on the field before someone tries a tackle. I'm not exaggerating. There's still the issue with them playing too soft. If your not hard hitting and near by then you'd better be fast and man-man. The Packers have much to be desired at Safety and need to address that this off season.

I took a pile of notes watching this game in review. I saw too much that was genuinely ugly.

It's all now behind the Green Bay Packers. This team has to somehow work it's tail off to recover for Atlanta at home.

TT ... Let BJ Raji walk away from Green Bay.

I'll take you back to that rumored or actual $8 M$ offer to B.J Raji and say that's just not any sense now. BJ Raji is not in the game. BJ Raji is on many plays essentially invisible. I concentrated on his play and I'm not wrong.

TT ! Please !! On the other side .... Sam Shields and James Jones: I want Ted Thompson to realize the value in CB Sam Shields and WR James jones and get busy with offers to these players ASAP. To neglect that is plain n' simple wrong. It's wrong to procrastinate in that regard on too many levels.

GO PACK GO!
Great job Woody.

No wonder I didn't see Sherry, I was heavy into some more oyster dressing at that point.

woodbuck27
12-01-2013, 03:35 AM
Great job Woody.

No wonder I didn't see Sherry, I was heavy into some more oyster dressing at that point.

He did OK. He might have to work on his balance some.

Your a gourmet too.

I cook a lot with Lee Kum Kee 'Oyster sauce'. It's inexpensive and so good and versatile.

I had Mae (my sweetie) verify a lot that I saw in a review of that game. An unimaginable disaster.

bobblehead
12-01-2013, 07:10 AM
Yes, Pug.

Now that is no longer a factor, Flynn (or another vet back-up) and a development kid should be the rule.

In fairness he did have a veteran back up. Now, I am not suggesting that Seneca Wallace was a great plan, but the entire problem was exacerbated by him getting hurt on his first series as a starter.

And woody, thanx for the post on sherrod. I still have high hopes that our OL problems can be fixed with some health, and actually be a strong point next season...the D I'm not so sure on. I am finally fully on the Wist bandwagon (as opposed to walking next to it at season start) and calling for Dom's head. Problem is that I think they way MM runs his team is part of the problem. In his effort to keep them fresh and peaking at the end of the season we suffer too many injuries to make it there.

Pugger
12-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Yes, Pug.

KC, do you believe Flynn has an NFL caliber arm? Is he worth the bother keeping in 2014? I do not.

Pugger
12-01-2013, 10:37 AM
In fairness he did have a veteran back up. Now, I am not suggesting that Seneca Wallace was a great plan, but the entire problem was exacerbated by him getting hurt on his first series as a starter.

And woody, thanx for the post on sherrod. I still have high hopes that our OL problems can be fixed with some health, and actually be a strong point next season...the D I'm not so sure on. I am finally fully on the Wist bandwagon (as opposed to walking next to it at season start) and calling for Dom's head. Problem is that I think they way MM runs his team is part of the problem. In his effort to keep them fresh and peaking at the end of the season we suffer too many injuries to make it there.

Yes, we did have a vet QB. What really screwed us is Wallace went down the very next week after losing Rodgers. What team has a contingency plan for that? We'll never know if Seneca could have helped us win a couple of games this past month but he had to be better than a grass green PS player or a noodle-armed 4th string QB who couldn't secure the backup job in Seattle, Oakland or Buffalo. :-?

Harlan Huckleby
12-01-2013, 10:40 AM
We'll never know if Seneca could have helped us win a couple of games this past month but he had to be better than a grass green PS player or a noodle-armed 4th string QB who couldn't secure the backup job in Seattle, Oakland or Buffalo. :-?

Wallace's problem was he was not in football shape. He might have been marginally better than Flynn and Tolzien. I can't see playing Flynn anymore.