PDA

View Full Version : Who's worth keeping - coaches edition

MadScientist
12-02-2013, 11:48 AM
There's been a lot of threads on firing various coaches, but are there any worth keeping. MM will stay, there are 20! assistants. Here's the list:

Winston Moss - Assistant Head Coach/Inside Linebackers

Offensive Coaches
Tom Clements - Offensive Coordinator
Edgar Bennett - Wide Receivers
James Campen - Offensive Line
Jerry Fontenot - Tight Ends
Joel Hilgenberg - Assistant Offensive Line
Ben McAdoo - Quarterbacks
John Rushing - Offensive Assistant/Special Teams
Alex Van Pelt - Running Backs

Defensive Coaches
Dom Capers - Defensive Coordinator
Kevin Greene - Outside Linebackers
Scott McCurley - Defensive Quality Control
Darren Perry - Secondary - Safeties
Mike Trgovac - Defensive Line
Joe Whitt Jr. - Secondary - Cornerbacks

Special Teams Coaches
Shawn Slocum - Special Teams Coordinator
Chad Morton - Special Teams Assistant

Strength & Conditioning Staff
Mark Lovat - Strength & Conditioning Coordinator
Thadeus Jackson - Strength & Conditioning Assistant
Zac Woodfin - Strength & Conditioning Assistant

On offense I'd say keep Bennett and Van Pelt, and possibly McAdoo (never had time to prepare Tolzien and the others were noodle armed stiffs so hard to say if he really deserves the axe).

On defense, Moss and Green seem to have their guys playing, but it's hard to make a case for anyone else.

All the special teams and strength and conditioning coaches can go.

Some how I doubt MM will can 15 out of 20, so is there anyone else worth keeping?

Guiness
12-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Bennett. Jordy has become a #1wr, JJ is playing well and there's a lot to like in Boykin. He's going to be an OC someday, maybe even in GB.

oldbutnotdeadyet
12-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Defensive quality control sounds like an excellent scapegoat, FIRE MCCURLEY...

sharpe1027
12-02-2013, 12:20 PM
If Capers goes, then the replacement will have a lot to say about who stays or goes for the defense. Much will depend on the new system and who they want to bring in.

I doubt Clements goes so there are likely fewer changes on that side. Maybe none, or maybe just Campen.

Pugger
12-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Tom Clements - I think he was instrumental in Rodgers development besides MM.
Edgar Bennett
Van Belt - our backs have done well this year except for poor Franklin fumbling.
Moss - considering what he has to work with...
Greene - he tutored CM3 and hopefully he can do the same with Perry
Trgovac
Whitt - I think he's done a decent job developing Shields who was originally an UDFA.
Perry? I don't know. Our safeties are a big weakness but is that coaching or a lack of talent? Prob the latter.

MadScientist
12-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Clements is on my axe list because the offense has been going down hill since Philbin left, and that was not due to a loss of talent. If Campen is still here next year, we may as well give up on 2014 now. All gains have been in spite of the line not because of it. I don't buy the injury excuse, when nobody ever steps up. Firing Campen is a bigger win than firing Capers or Slocum.

Pugger
12-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Clements is on my axe list because the offense has been going down hill since Philbin left, and that was not due to a loss of talent. If Campen is still here next year, we may as well give up on 2014 now. All gains have been in spite of the line not because of it. I don't buy the injury excuse, when nobody ever steps up. Firing Campen is a bigger win than firing Capers or Slocum.

You don't think Clements had anything to do with the development of Rodgers?

MadScientist
12-02-2013, 12:44 PM
You don't think Clements had anything to do with the development of Rodgers?
I think he did as QB coach, but he is not in that position now McAdoo is. The offense is slow to adapt to what defenses are doing against them. They spent most of 2012 trying to do what they did in 2011 with the deep passes that defenses were taking away, making things way to hit and miss. This year the offense wasn't all that consistent before AR went down. Maybe MM is really the one at fault, but I think the OC has to be a big part of the problem. It looks like he followed the Peter Principle and rose to his level of incompetence.

woodbuck27
12-02-2013, 12:55 PM
There's been a lot of threads on firing various coaches, but are there any worth keeping. MM will stay, there are 20! assistants. Here's the list:

Winston Moss - Assistant Head Coach/Inside Linebackers

Offensive Coaches
Tom Clements - Offensive Coordinator
Edgar Bennett - Wide Receivers
James Campen - Offensive Line
Jerry Fontenot - Tight Ends
Joel Hilgenberg - Assistant Offensive Line
Ben McAdoo - Quarterbacks
John Rushing - Offensive Assistant/Special Teams
Alex Van Pelt - Running Backs

Defensive Coaches

** Dom Capers - Defensive Coordinator

Kevin Greene - Outside Linebackers

** Scott McCurley - Defensive Quality Control
** Darren Perry - Secondary - Safeties
** Mike Trgovac - Defensive Line
** Joe Whitt Jr. - Secondary - Cornerbacks

** Special Teams Coaches

Shawn Slocum - Special Teams Coordinator

Chad Morton - Special Teams Assistant

** Strength & Conditioning Staff

Mark Lovat - Strength & Conditioning Coordinator

Thadeus Jackson - Strength & Conditioning Assistant

Zac Woodfin - Strength & Conditioning Assistant

On offense I'd say keep Bennett and Van Pelt, and possibly McAdoo (never had time to prepare Tolzien and the others were noodle armed stiffs so hard to say if he really deserves the axe).

On defense, Moss and Green seem to have their guys playing, but it's hard to make a case for anyone else.

All the special teams and strength and conditioning coaches can go.

Some how I doubt MM will can 15 out of 20, so is there anyone else worth keeping?

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/28058/_1322263886.jpg

** ... FLUSH Em !

Guiness
12-02-2013, 01:03 PM
I think he did as QB coach, but he is not in that position now McAdoo is. The offense is slow to adapt to what defenses are doing against them. They spent most of 2012 trying to do what they did in 2011 with the deep passes that defenses were taking away, making things way to hit and miss. This year the offense wasn't all that consistent before AR went down. Maybe MM is really the one at fault, but I think the OC has to be a big part of the problem. It looks like he followed the Peter Principle and rose to his level of incompetence.

Agreed. Do coaches ever get demotions? Move Clements back to QB coach.

woodbuck27
12-02-2013, 01:28 PM

I expect Tom Clements to:

a) Maybe get tossed from 'the floundering ship' that's the Aaron Rodgerless Packer offense. He's not demonstrating much in his early tenure as an OC in Green Bay. Like so many other Packer coach's riding on the coattails of Aaron Rodgers superior talents.

b) Do a great job selling himself and leave for another opportunity.... maybe in the CFL?

The NFL?? Not so much as an OC.

c) Pray very hard that Aaron Rodgers allows good sence to be overcome with emotion. Feeling some extreme need to try and right the ship this season ie this week (week 14 Vs the Atlanta Falcons. That given that the Packers destiny isn't in their own hands.

d) Just PRAY a lot.

MadScientist
12-02-2013, 06:08 PM

I haven't heard of a coordinator being demoted to a position coach with the same team. Getting fired and taking a position somewhere else happens all the time.