PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports ranks coaches - Packers NUMBER 32!

retailguy
08-26-2006, 05:32 PM
from Fox sports:

32. Green Bay

Mike McCarthy, previously the offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers, replaces fired coach Mike Sherman. He's a curious choice, to say the least, given that our Football Outsiders stats show that the 49ers had not just the worst offense in the league last year but one of the worst offenses the league has ever seen.

The biggest misconception about McCarthy is that his background is in the same West Coast Offense that the Packers have run throughout the career of quarterback Brett Favre. In reality, McCarthy got his start in the NFL as an assistant to Marty Schottenheimer in Kansas City, where he coached a conservative, run-first offense. Before that, McCarthy was an assistant to Paul Hackett (the former Jets offensive coordinator who was often criticized for conservative play-calling) at the University of Pittsburgh. McCarthy did spend one year as Favre's quarterbacks coach. That isn't necessarily a good thing for Packers fans, though. The year McCarthy spent in Green Bay was 1999, when the talented Packers finished a disappointing 8-8 and Favre had one of his worst seasons with 23 interceptions and a career-low 57.3 completion percentage.

The NFC North's defensive linemen won't like new offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski. Jagodzinski was the offensive line coach in Atlanta last season, working alongside offensive line consultant Alex Gibbs, the man who developed the zone-blocking schemes that the Denver Broncos used to win two Super Bowls.

Many defensive linemen have said Gibbs teaches dirty play, but the Gibbs system is spreading across the league because it works. Quarterbacks coach Tom Clements spent 12 seasons as a quarterback in the Canadian Football League, and he still favors that type of wide-open style. That might not make him a great fit for Brett Favre, who needs someone to rein him in. Instead of completely overhauling the coaching staff, McCarthy decided to keep Bob Sanders and promote him from defensive ends coach to defensive coordinator.

Sanders, a Steve Spurrier confidant who served as a defensive coordinator for Spurrier both at Duke and at Florida, believes in a defense that gets most of its pass rush from the line instead of from blitzing linebackers. That makes him a good fit for a team that has Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Aaron Kampman in place.

The NO. 1 staff - WASHINGTON.

BallHawk
08-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. :roll:

gbpackfan
08-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Our three major positions are filled with 3 guys who have never held those positions before. MM will have to prove himself, that's all.

Rastak
08-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Our three major positions are filled with 3 guys who have never held those positions before. MM will have to prove himself, that's all.

Just like the Vikings actually....all 3 are new. I truly like what I've seen from the Vikings in all three games with the new staff. As for Green Bay, they kicked some ass against Atlanta, so things seem to be looking up.

Mazzin
08-26-2006, 06:42 PM
What about with SD though?

Rastak
08-26-2006, 06:45 PM
What about with SD though?

Game 1 suck...game 2 better so if the trend continues....game 3....quite good.

With the Vikings they lost game 1 although they could very easily have won and in fact didn't even take the tieing field goal, game 2 they win on the orad against the suoerbowl champs. Game 3 they dominate the Ravens...

Sooooo, Green Bay is on a slightly slower pace but a ass whipping on the Bengals on the road would be quite impressive.

gbpackfan
08-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Green Bay is not on a slower pace you Viking Homer! :lol:

It is still pre-season, we will see what happens in the regular season.

Rastak
08-26-2006, 06:55 PM

It is still pre-season, we will see what happens in the regular season.

Hey, I agree, it's preseason....Vikings outplayed all three teams, thusly I say they are off to a faster start...does that mean anything in the real season? Maybe, maybe not...LOL....that's the NFL for ya.....

the_idle_threat
08-26-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't put much faith in coach rankings (http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,3969965,00.html), especially with regard to first-year coaches (note who is at #30). Judging criteria are completely subjective, and nobody has any idea how the newbies are going to turn out.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-26-2006, 10:57 PM
At least we can only go up.

Zool
08-27-2006, 12:14 AM
Washington #1? Maybe in 1983. Gibb's cant relate to players anymore. His assistants will be HC's in the league before too long though, so that must be why they are getting pimped as 1.

MadtownPacker
08-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Hey thats a great point man. :mrgreen:

Partial
08-27-2006, 01:40 AM
Hey thats a great point man. :mrgreen:

Your a great point hombre from another madre

Scott Campbell
08-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Maybe that pace comment was in reference to their drinking. :shock:

Scott Campbell
08-27-2006, 10:38 AM
I don't put much faith in coach rankings (http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,3969965,00.html), especially with regard to first-year coaches (note who is at #30). Judging criteria are completely subjective, and nobody has any idea how the newbies are going to turn out.

He was an obscure hire with a questionable pedigree. He got ranked exactly where I thought they'd rank him. And fortunately it means nothing.

Homer Jay
08-27-2006, 10:45 AM

OK, when I hit the rankings button I get the 2001 poll. Interesting to note that Bill Belichick is ranked # 30. This the year he began the stretch of 3 super bowl wins in 4 years. Here was their take.

30. Bill Belichick, New England Patriots. His players don't like him, the media doesn't like him, and his inflexibility is tiring. So why is he back running an NFL team? It's because he's a great defensive coordinator who is from the Bill Parcells' tree. Belichick is a much better coordinator than head coach, which the Patriots will find out.

I guess polls can be wrong.

MadtownPacker
08-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Forget coaching ability for a second.

Lets just talk about straight up toughness. I bet M3 would bring the heat on any other NFL coach in the league, for that I rank him #1.

In the NFC North would beat down lover, childish, and maranara for sure!!!

Terry
08-27-2006, 10:13 PM
That analysis of Belichick on 2001 really says it all. Especially when you consider that Lombardi was inflexible and his players didn't like him either. (Except maybe Starr, who ran to the nearest phone after the team's first meeting with Lombardi and called his wife to say, "Honey, we're going to start winning!")