PDA

View Full Version : season ruined by not having a backup

Harlan Huckleby
12-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Doesn't look like EDS will be able to go Sunday. If you don't have a backup center, the whole line is screwed. Lang can't really play center very well, at least according to McGinn. You end up with a doggy doo group.

hoosier
12-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Never fear, a loss to the Falcons will leave them nicely positioned to draft EDS's replacement early in the second round.

Harlan Huckleby
12-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Perhaps Jeff Saturday can be coaxed out of retirement.

woodbuck27
12-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Doesn't look like EDS will be able to go Sunday. If you don't have a backup center, the whole line is screwed. Lang can't really play center very well, at least according to McGinn. You end up with a doggy doo group.

Yikes !

Vegas has issues with the Green Bay Packers and setting a Line and the Over/Under.

Their puter is spittin' and fartin'. It's an awful mess around that place.

The cleaning staff is pissed.

denverYooper
12-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Well, if they can rule EDS out before the game maybe they won't have to shift 8 positions in-game and leave an un-repped player on one of the best DTs in the league again.

woodbuck27
12-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Well, if they can rule EDS out before the game maybe they won't have to shift 8 positions in-game and leave an un-repped player on one of the best DTs in the league again.

Do we win this game? :whist: and scratchin' my head.

Fritz
12-05-2013, 11:40 AM
It's one thing after another this year.

Upnorth
12-05-2013, 12:27 PM
One things you can say about our team is when it comes to injuries at least we are consistent.

Bossman641
12-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Please no more Newhouse. Barclay to RG, Sherrod at RT.

red
12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Please no more Newhouse. Barclay to RG, Sherrod at RT.

I agree

Whatever it takes to keep newhouse out of the game for a bit

I say for a bit because theres like 89% chance that sherrod will go down to an injury if he starts

Rutnstrut
12-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Remember according to most here, center is an easy position to fill. I don't care who they have snap the ball Sunday as long as it keeps Newhouse off the field.

pbmax
12-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Remember according to most here, center is an easy position to fill. I don't care who they have snap the ball Sunday as long as it keeps Newhouse off the field.

You may have a point. Backup center is tough to fill in today's roster environment. :lol:

red
12-05-2013, 11:06 PM
You may have a point. Backup center is tough to fill in today's roster environment. :lol:

You just cant carry a backup center when you need that roster spot for a 5th TE who can contribute on the worst special teams in the nfl

woodbuck27
12-06-2013, 05:06 AM

NOPE !

Evidently it's only 93.3 % ruined and that means >>> 6.7% A-OK !

GO PACKERS !

Joemailman
12-06-2013, 06:41 AM
You just cant carry a backup center when you need that roster spot for a 5th TE who can contribute on the worst special teams in the nfl

Do you have anyone in mind? Two guys who would be the backup Center are on injured reserve (Van Roten) and PUP (Tretter). In a season like this, even injuries to guys most people never heard of are costly.

Patler
12-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Do you have anyone in mind? Two guys who would be the backup Center are on injured reserve (Van Roten) and PUP (Tretter). In a season like this, even injuries to guys most people never heard of are costly.

Exactly. The problems aren't from failing to have a backup center, or a backup QB. They aren't able to use the backups they started the season with at either position, Van Roten at center and Wallace at QB. Unfortunately, they are having to go to option 3 at both positions. Van Roten was on the roster until mid-October, when he was injured and placed on IR. Just as with Wallace at QB, we really don't know if the backup plan at center was adequate or not.

If EDS is ruled out for Sunday, they might be forced to make a roster move to sign Garth Gerhart from the practice squad as a backup at center in case Lang is injured. I'm not sure if they have anyone else who can snap or not.

woodbuck27
12-06-2013, 07:08 AM
Exactly. The problems aren't from failing to have a backup center, or a backup QB. They aren't able to use the backups they started the season with at either position, Van Roten at center and Wallace at QB. Unfortunately, they are having to go to option 3 at both positions. Van Roten was on the roster until mid-October, when he was injured and placed on IR. Just as with Wallace at QB, we really don't know if the backup plan at center was adequate or not.

If EDS is ruled out for Sunday, they might be forced to make a roster move to sign Garth Gerhart from the practice squad as a backup at center in case Lang is injured. I'm not sure if they have anyone else who can snap or not.

Garth must be excited...PUMPED !

and/or

Shitin' his pants !?

Harlan Huckleby
12-06-2013, 04:00 PM

Tretter really never had chance to help in 2013 and Van Roten looked like dog crap in preseason.
BTW, why wasn't TT fired for the Jeff Saturday fiasco of 2012? I have a long memory (on calls I'm right about), and I voted Saturday a liability back in summer 2012.

Harlan Huckleby
12-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Exactly. The problems aren't from failing to have a backup center, or a backup QB. They aren't able to use the backups they started the season with at either position, Van Roten at center and Wallace at QB.

I am forgiving of TT for the backup QB situation. Nobody could have predicted that Graham Harrell, BJ Coleman, Vince Young, Seneca Wallace, Scott Tolzien and Matt Flynn would all be washouts. In fact, every fan and professional analyst have been on the bandwagon of one or more of those guys.

But at backup center, TT never addressed the position. Tretter was gone last May. Van Roten is an undrafted flyer. The thinness at center-guard has been a predictable problem.

Rutnstrut
12-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Tretter really never had chance to help in 2013 and Van Roten looked like dog crap in preseason.
BTW, why wasn't TT fired for the Jeff Saturday fiasco of 2012? I have a long memory (on calls I'm right about), and I voted Saturday a liability back in summer 2012.

I also said Saturday would be a huge liability, and a huge drop off from Wells. Most on here disagreed and said how great Saturday was, also saying the great AR doesn't need a great center. Of course these were most of the same people that said the Packers didn't need a solid running back also. Sometimes it seems MM and TT will let someone go from this team and if the replacement they pick isn't good it doesn't matter. They would rather keep trying to replace the player with shit, than admit they were wrong.

denverYooper
12-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Yes, we get it. You're never wrong.

Harlan Huckleby
12-06-2013, 04:32 PM
I also said Saturday would be a huge liability, and a huge drop off from Wells. Most on here disagreed and said how great Saturday was, also saying the great AR doesn't need a great center.

You're a good man. For added fun, name some names: Joemailman was a big Jeff Saturday guy.

Feel free to join me in a superiority dance:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-production/images/24060/large/church_lady_dance_of_superiority.jpeg

Harlan Huckleby
12-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Yes, we get it. You're never wrong.
who's "we"? Denver sounds like another member of the Jeff Saturday Fan Club!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-production/images/24060/large/church_lady_dance_of_superiority.jpeg

Rutnstrut
12-06-2013, 05:54 PM
I will also eat some crow and admit it was probably right NOT to keep Wells for what he was asking, seeing now how he's been injured. BUT, there's also no way to know he would of been injured had he stayed. But he probably would have. Just because it seems being an active player on the GB roster puts you at a 33.78% more risk of serious injury than the rest of the NFL.

red
12-06-2013, 06:11 PM
I didnt like wells, thougt he was pretty bad

Saturday was much worse

EDS is somewhere in between imo

I dont think any are worth a shit

We've been having the oline discusion for a few years now and the question has come up time afte time, why dont the parts add up

You had sitton who most think is borderline elite, you got land who we all think is pretty good. A lot of folks think eds is ok, weve had bulaga in there who we all like, and guys like barclay or sherrod or newhouse or whoever have looked ok at some point

On pape, the line looks good, when you add all the pieces together, you get one of the worst olines in the nfl. And dont give me the injury thing. This line sucked last year, and tne year before, and ithink the year before that

I think we are ovevaluing our lineman. Most of us on here thought bach was having a good year. Then we see that PFF report and he's ranked as by far our worst player

Carolina_Packer
12-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Saturday was much worse

We've been having the oline discusion for a few years now and the question has come up time afte time, why dont the parts add up

You had sitton who most think is borderline elite, you got land who we all think is pretty good. A lot of folks think eds is ok, weve had bulaga in there who we all like, and guys like barclay or sherrod or newhouse or whoever have looked ok at some point

On pape, the line looks good, when you add all the pieces together, you get one of the worst olines in the nfl. And dont give me the injury thing. This line sucked last year, and tne year before, and ithink the year before that

I think we are ovevaluing our lineman. Most of us on here thought bach was having a good year. Then we see that PFF report and he's ranked as by far our worst player

Well, Red, you can't completely discount injuries either. You also can't say they haven't tried to draft tackles. They just haven't stayed healthy, and that's never good for the development of young players, or the o-line in general. It's like dead money on your roster. You can't really afford the cap space to replace them with another high rounder, and while you're hoping for them to rehab their way back, you play a rookie at LT and a second year undrafted guy at RT, until he gets dinged and you have to put in a 5th round turnstile. Has anyone ever stopped to think what this line would be playing like if they hadn't had to deal with all the catastrophic injuries on the o-line? I'm guessing that if Sherrod had never gotten hurt in December 2011, or anyone else after that, and all the guys would have had the time to gel together since then, I think the line would have looked like this:

LT Sherrod
LG Lang (he probably never would have been moved from left to right)
C EDS
RG Sitton
RT Bulaga

I'd sign up for that line, plus imagine Lacy running behind that line. Certainly, their draft strategy may have changed had their line stayed healthy. Look, I know that's not what has happened, but then you have to take into account what has happened. Are there any other teams out there who have had to overcome so much on the o-line? Sometimes you just have to muddle through until you can get everyone healthy, and that's not looking like until next year.

Harlan, I disagree with your point about letting TT and MM off the hook on backup QB. Sure, it's easy to kill them when it all goes south. They clearly needed to ask harder questions about Harrell once 2012 was over and bring in way better competition for him as soon as the most current off-season program began. You can't really fault Coleman (practically undrafted), and you can somewhat fault Harrell (he had his chance as was around for a while), but ultimately you have to fault TT and MM for not correctly evaluating what those backups were capable of. I never liked having a never was as a backup for Rodgers. A veteran backup who is serviceable would have been much better, but I think the Packers took draft/sign and develop a little too far on this one and it blew up in their faces unfortunately.

bobblehead
12-06-2013, 07:06 PM
I also said Saturday would be a huge liability, and a huge drop off from Wells. Most on here disagreed and said how great Saturday was, also saying the great AR doesn't need a great center. Of course these were most of the same people that said the Packers didn't need a solid running back also. Sometimes it seems MM and TT will let someone go from this team and if the replacement they pick isn't good it doesn't matter. They would rather keep trying to replace the player with shit, than admit they were wrong.

After watching 3 different running backs get a 100 yd game this year you still think its the RB that makes the yardage?

bobblehead
12-06-2013, 07:07 PM
I will also eat some crow and admit it was probably right NOT to keep Wells for what he was asking, seeing now how he's been injured. BUT, there's also no way to know he would of been injured had he stayed. But he probably would have. Just because it seems being an active player on the GB roster puts you at a 33.78% more risk of serious injury than the rest of the NFL.

Actually wells is the anti packer rule. He never got hurt with us, but when he left its been nothing but pain.

woodbuck27
12-06-2013, 07:08 PM

Ohh no Mr. Bill it.... can't.... be ! Not Rutnstrut too. It's such an ugly curse.

By some strange matter of time phenomena and the gotcha epidemic. A force that can only be countered with absolute alertness, Zen like powers of self hypnosis ... and more rather secure methods of self control and preservation of strength.

You've been transformed or conditioned to argue any point of view different then the 'we' faction. Utilizing the 'we can't determine' or 'we'll never know' strategy for always somehow carrying the upper hand.

There's one way to break the spell.

Slap yourself up the side of your head. Why?

You as an individual have ever right to believe totally in your opinion.

bobblehead
12-06-2013, 07:08 PM

Saturday was much worse

Its amazing to me that we keep breaking yardage and scoring records with such a crappy line.

bobblehead
12-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Well, Red, you can't completely discount injuries either. You also can't say they haven't tried to draft tackles. They just haven't stayed healthy, and that's never good for the development of young players, or the o-line in general. It's like dead money on your roster. You can't really afford the cap space to replace them with another high rounder, and while you're hoping for them to rehab their way back, you play a rookie at LT and a second year undrafted guy at RT, until he gets dinged and you have to put in a 5th round turnstile. Has anyone ever stopped to think what this line would be playing like if they hadn't had to deal with all the catastrophic injuries on the o-line? I'm guessing that if Sherrod had never gotten hurt in December 2011, or anyone else after that, and all the guys would have had the time to gel together since then, I think the line would have looked like this:

LT Sherrod
LG Lang (he probably never would have been moved from left to right)
C EDS
RG Sitton
RT Bulaga

I'd sign up for that line, plus imagine Lacy running behind that line. Certainly, their draft strategy may have changed had their line stayed healthy. Look, I know that's not what has happened, but then you have to take into account what has happened. Are there any other teams out there who have had to overcome so much on the o-line? Sometimes you just have to muddle through until you can get everyone healthy, and that's not looking like until next year.

Harlan, I disagree with your point about letting TT and MM off the hook on backup QB. Sure, it's easy to kill them when it all goes south. They clearly needed to ask harder questions about Harrell once 2012 was over and bring in way better competition for him as soon as the most current off-season program began. You can't really fault Coleman (practically undrafted), and you can somewhat fault Harrell (he had his chance as was around for a while), but ultimately you have to fault TT and MM for not correctly evaluating what those backups were capable of. I never liked having a never was as a backup for Rodgers. A veteran backup who is serviceable would have been much better, but I think the Packers took draft/sign and develop a little too far on this one and it blew up in their faces unfortunately.

Without google tell me. Who is the backup for Peyton, Brady, and Brees? I am betting never weres. When you pay your QB 20 million it gets hard to pay a backup and still build a roster.

woodbuck27
12-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Actually wells is the anti packer rule. He never got hurt with us, but when he left its been nothing but pain.

Ahh Scott Wells and not retaining him after he was recognized as a Pro Bowler !

Is that somehow connected in some karma like fashion of a curse?

A curse leading to the phenomena of over the top injuries to anyone on the Green Bay Packer roster?

If that's the case then maybe this direction is prudent:

All managerial moves will have to be carefully scrutinized to see if there's any connection of familiarity.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtxVVgnh_iHl4mlBJ2xf9nB6t4faFHd D9BgqJA_OdsdtqCAAyGbw

Would bringing in a team like these guys help with any determination?

gbgary
12-06-2013, 07:29 PM
does atl have pass rush? it may not matter.

red
12-06-2013, 07:34 PM
does atl have pass rush? it may not matter.

They'll have a decent pass rush this week

denverYooper
12-06-2013, 07:44 PM
They'll have a decent pass rush this week

Yeah, they'll be looking at kind of an undersized center in Quarless. It should be a matchup advantage for Atlanta.

Patler
12-06-2013, 07:46 PM

A curse leading to the phenomena of over the top injuries to anyone on the Green Bay Packer roster?

Or maybe a curse leading to Wells being injured in the two years since? :wink: :wink:

red
12-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Its amazing to me that we keep breaking yardage and scoring records with such a crappy line.

It really is amazing. When you watch other games you see qbs that can just stand around in the pocket forever, without even have to worry about getting hit.

With us, its almost like our guys just try to delay the pressure, not try and stop the pressure. With our line over the years it hasnt been a matter of "if" our qb gets hit on every play, its a matter of "when". our qbs have their couple of seconds, then they have to get out of the pocket to stay alive. You watch a guy like brady, and he can just stand in that pocket all day without a care in the world

And again its not just because of injuries, our line has been playing like that for at least 3 or 4 years

But, we lost our #1 tackle for the year early. We found out very early that our other #1pick wouldnt give us much this year. What did we do? Next man up. We went with an unproven rookie and a n undrafted second year player.

Baltimore had problems with their LT early in the year, what did they do? They sent a 4th and 5th rounder to jacksonville for one of the best young LTs in the game. Even if it is just gonna be a one year rental, i think thats a good move. The eagles i think sent an undisclosed late round pick to the cardinals for levi brown. He got hurt right away, but i applaude the effort.

We could have inproved the o line after the injuries if we wanted, we didnt, and our line sucks

Not that better players would improve our shitty blocking scheme

red
12-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Yeah, they'll be looking at kind of an undersized center in Quarless. It should be a matchup advantage for Atlanta.

I though kuhn was the backup center

denverYooper
12-06-2013, 08:06 PM
I though kuhn was the backup center

You could be right. I haven't checked the depth chart lately.

Kiwon
12-06-2013, 08:55 PM

If that's the case then maybe this direction is prudent:

All managerial moves will have to be carefully scrutinized to see if there's any connection of familiarity.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtxVVgnh_iHl4mlBJ2xf9nB6t4faFHd D9BgqJA_OdsdtqCAAyGbw

Would bringing in a team like these guys help with any determination?

This guy might do it a little cheaper.

http://www.osanimi.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/witchdoctor1.jpg

woodbuck27
12-06-2013, 09:04 PM

Yes it's rather strange.

We were off like a ROCKET there before Aaron Rodgers went down.

Even after that the offensive side of the ball Stat's looked very decent.

woodbuck27
12-06-2013, 09:05 PM
This guy might do it a little cheaper.

http://www.osanimi.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/witchdoctor1.jpg

Yes but he demands live insects in his diet. Will that be an issue?

Carolina_Packer
12-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Without google tell me. Who is the backup for Peyton, Brady, and Brees? I am betting never weres. When you pay your QB 20 million it gets hard to pay a backup and still build a roster.

So, you're saying, for example, the Bears, with McCown as backup and Cutler not yet making his big payday, are in a more fortunate position of being able to afford to spend more cap at the QB position? I guess that's good if you are getting what you need from your #1, but not if it's a situation where you have two mediocre guys (see Minnesota). The bad thing about paying "The Man" is that you can't really afford to give your backup much, and if he goes down, you're probably going to have a severe drop-off anyway, especially with how much of the offense that depended on Rodgers. All I'm saying is that the Bears haven't been god-awful with McCown, and the Packers should have put themselves in a similar position, but decided to develop Harrell too long without enough real competition. That said, I wasn't really talking about what they could afford, but rather pressing harder and allowing enough time and competition at the backup spot and really knowing what you have there. I think they were hoping more than knowing about Harrell until it became blatantly obvious they had spent too long developing him and had to let him go.

BTW, I did not look at Google and I know it's Osweiler (Denver) and Mallett (New England) but I have no idea who backs up Brees (used to be Chase Daniel from Missouri, but I think he went to KC).

pbmax
12-07-2013, 08:24 AM
I am forgiving of TT for the backup QB situation. Nobody could have predicted that Graham Harrell, BJ Coleman, Vince Young, Seneca Wallace, Scott Tolzien and Matt Flynn would all be washouts. In fact, every fan and professional analyst have been on the bandwagon of one or more of those guys.

But at backup center, TT never addressed the position. Tretter was gone last May. Van Roten is an undrafted flyer. The thinness at center-guard has been a predictable problem.

I think you could be selling GVR short. He was good enough to be active for 3 games and while we cannot know how he would fare up against Tretter, he beat out the rest of the competition at Center.

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2013, 08:45 AM
I think you could be selling GVR short. He was good enough to be active for 3 games and while we cannot know how he would fare up against Tretter, he beat out the rest of the competition at Center.

This same praise could be lavished on Marshall Newhouse. They are both winners of the tallest pygmy contest for their position.

pbmax
12-07-2013, 09:08 AM
This same praise could be lavished on Marshall Newhouse. They are both winners of the tallest pygmy contest for their position.

Yes, but you and I have seen Newhouse prove he is just a backup. We still have hope for GVR.

woodbuck27
12-07-2013, 09:15 AM

GVR dressed for 7 games with the Packers last year!? Active for three games this season before going down and now on IR.

Starts at C with the Packers = ZERO.

Maybe I'm having 'a Seniors moment'? Has anyone ever seen him in game action as a Packer?

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Yes, but you and I have seen Newhouse prove he is just a backup. We still have hope for GVR.

Hope yes, but judging by preseason, not a lot of optimism for 2013.

TT does not get a passing grade for his G-C backups for 2013. Bad break with Tretter, but that was when the birds were migrating TO Wisconsin.

Fritz
12-07-2013, 09:59 AM
I have an idea for Thompson: instead of drafting all these guys to be first-stringers, maybe he should devote his resources to getting top-notch guys, then making them the second stringers. That way, when the starters go down, as they seem to inevitably do, this year especially, Ted will have an all-star cast of second stringers to take over!

Imagine a scenario in which guys like Seneca Wallace, Andy Mulumba, Nick Palmer, and Andrew Quarless were the starters in game one against San Fran.

Right now, you'd have Rodgers at QB, Matthews and Perry at OLB, and Finley at tight end. The team would probably have a slightly better record than it currently does, and all the "second stringers" would be poised to run the table!

I'll take my consulting fee now, Ted, thanks.

woodbuck27
12-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I have an idea for Thompson: instead of drafting all these guys to be first-stringers, maybe he should devote his resources to getting top-notch guys, then making them the second stringers. That way, when the starters go down, as they seem to inevitably do, this year especially, Ted will have an all-star cast of second stringers to take over!

Imagine a scenario in which guys like Seneca Wallace, Andy Mulumba, Nick Palmer, and Andrew Quarless were the starters in game one against San Fran.

Right now, you'd have Rodgers at QB, Matthews and Perry at OLB, and Finley at tight end. The team would probably have a slightly better record than it currently does, and all the "second stringers" would be poised to run the table!

I'll take my consulting fee now, Ted, thanks.

I believe that TT simply needs to invest in a crystal ball or read tea leaves...maybe consult with a fortune teller or someone who reads tarot cards.

If TT had requested that AR sit in the Chicago Bears game....until really needed . maybe we would be 10-2 and challenging for the NO. 1 seed in the NFC playoffs.!?

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2013, 02:59 PM
That way, when the starters go down, as they seem to inevitably do, this year especially, Ted will have an all-star cast of second stringers to take over!

That's some impressive thinking there. He might even play the long game and put the difference makers on third string. Lay in the weeds until the playoff push.
The ultimate rope-a-dope strategy would be to IR Rogers and Matthews to surprise um next year.

woodbuck27
12-07-2013, 03:44 PM
That's some impressive thinking there. He might even play the long game and put the difference makers on third string. Lay in the weeds until the playoff push.
The ultimate rope-a-dope strategy would be to IR Rogers and Matthews to surprise um next year.

Yaa !

Stubby would be on nerve pills and looking lean and mean.