PDA

View Full Version : How soon before they "flex" Thursday night games?

Patler
12-06-2013, 01:10 PM
After last nights match-up of teams with a combined record of 5-19, how soon until they announce that in the second half of the season, teams will be given two weeks notice of being selected for a Thursday night game?

KYPack
12-06-2013, 01:15 PM
That game probably got an 8 rating.

As in, eight people watched it.

I could've seen flexing that game back to Sunday, there was no need to put that stink bomb on Thursday TV.

Rodgers12
12-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Fuck, there was a game last night? I forgot to update my teams at fantasybowl.com.

Regarding your question, the Networks wouldn't be too happy with the NFL-owned NFL Network flexing games.

oldbutnotdeadyet
12-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Maybe they should flex the packers season back 20 years or so?

channtheman
12-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Who flexed that game to be on Thursday night in the first place? Seriously, letting the Jaguars host a Thursday night game? Which genius at the NFL though Blaine Gabbert was gonna turn the Jags around this year?

woodbuck27
12-06-2013, 01:29 PM
That game probably got an 8 rating.

As in, eight people watched it.

I could've seen flexing that game back to Sunday, there was no need to put that stink bomb on Thursday TV.

That game was on in it's entirety at my place. I didn't watch one play entirely.

I had the Jags. Again right before game time I re-analyzed and that said 'no damn way' can the Texans lose to a Jaguars team that measures that badly on paper. I came so very close to going 7 CP's >>>TEXANS and was locked out at TEXANS 1 CP.

Thank goodness for small miracles. Lately I've changed up late with some brain fart...'only' to get burnt by such a reach.

Denver @ NE a couple of weeks ago >>> 11 CP's gone.

NO >>> Seattle MNF 12 CP's gone !!

Two silly errors against my own analysis. Silly reaches !!

The more you analyze this season the worse off that often leaves you. It's been another wild year for trying to make a pick for so many football fans.

On that side you've done well KY.

Ohh KY...what's that your cooking... that smell in the room next to the kitchen?

Patler
12-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Regarding your question, the Networks wouldn't be too happy with the NFL-owned NFL Network flexing games.

The networks weren't too happy with the NFL-owned NFL Network getting any games at all, yet it happened. If the NFL decides it is in their best interest to do it, the Networks won't be able to do anything about it. It will simply be a part of the next package negotiation.

MadScientist
12-06-2013, 01:32 PM
They will never flex Thursday games. Changing days is a logistical nightmare for teams and fans.

Who flexed that game to be on Thursday night in the first place? Seriously, letting the Jaguars host a Thursday night game? Which genius at the NFL though Blaine Gabbert was gonna turn the Jags around this year?

Every teams gets a Thursday game. NFL probably hoped that there would be some playoff interest with Houston fighting for the playoffs and the Jags as the spoiler team. The Jags did spoil the Houston coach's season.

red
12-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I think the shittiest games every week should be on the nlfn

The nfl isnt getting paid any money from other networks for that game, and a lot of people dont get nfln. Let them hold the crap games

Besides, according to the nfl, people will watch no matter how bad the game is

Patler
12-06-2013, 01:37 PM
They will never flex Thursday games. Changing days is a logistical nightmare for teams and fans.

Every teams gets a Thursday game. NFL probably hoped that there would be some playoff interest with Houston fighting for the playoffs and the Jags as the spoiler team. The Jags did spoil the Houston coach's season.

They can give them more advance notice than teams get for playoffs.

Patler
12-06-2013, 01:42 PM

The nfl isnt getting paid any money from other networks for that game, and a lot of people dont get nfln. Let them hold the crap games

This is all part of a long range plan to get $ from the viewers for every game, even when you watch at home.

There was a report leaked years and years ago that concluded fans at home should pay a nominal amount for games, too. That same report discussed the advantages of the league controlling their own broadcasts through a league-owned network. How do you do it? Start small and convert gradually.

Guess what? The wheels are in motion.

Rodgers12
12-06-2013, 01:49 PM
The networks weren't too happy with the NFL-owned NFL Network getting any games at all, yet it happened. If the NFL decides it is in their best interest to do it, the Networks won't be able to do anything about it. It will simply be a part of the next package negotiation.

Yes, in business terms, the NFL has the leverage advantage. The networks reluctantly agreed to give the NFL PREDETERMINED Thursday games.

But lets not forget that fat pigs (dont wanna use the C-word on this forum) still run the networks. Greed is the name of the game and if the networks lose premium matchups via flexation, they're gonna lose money.

red
12-06-2013, 01:52 PM
This is all part of a long range plan to get $ from the viewers for every game, even when you watch at home.

There was a report leaked years and years ago that concluded fans at home should pay a nominal amount for games, too. That same report discussed the advantages of the league controlling their own broadcasts through a league-owned network. How do you do it? Start small and convert gradually.

Thats the day the nfl dies imo

red
12-06-2013, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=Rodgers12;757247](dont wanna use the C-word on this forum) /QUOTE]

Why the fuck not?

Most of the people on here know they're either cunts or cocks

Guiness
12-06-2013, 02:31 PM
I would be a logistical nightmare with flights, rooms (teams and fans) other uses for the stadiums and so much more. And the NFL is concerned how much about everyone else? Ya, that much, so I think it will probably happen. Actually, how I think it would happen is that more than one game will be scheduled for every Thursday, à la Thanksgiving, and the NFLN will pick the one they want.

And more players will get injured. But back to that not caring thing...

Cheesehead Craig
12-06-2013, 03:00 PM

The NFL gets so much money from the Networks though. It's ridiculous money that they know they will never be able to recoup. I can see an additional game each week being on the NFLN, or maybe even the MNF game being on there. But other than that, I don't think they can financially afford to not have the Networks involved on a heavy basis. They can't switch over to games only on the NFLN and Sunday Tix, the revenue simply won't be there. And if it's one thing the NFL craves more than player safety, it's money.

gbgary
12-06-2013, 03:05 PM
"flexing" of any game screws any out-of-town fans that fly in to see a game. that's why i decided to come up early in the season and chose a game that wasn't high-profile...det v GB. flexing is a sorry practice.

lol...i laugh everytime i see that avatar. ^^

Patler
12-06-2013, 03:24 PM
The NFL gets so much money from the Networks though. It's ridiculous money that they know they will never be able to recoup. I can see an additional game each week being on the NFLN, or maybe even the MNF game being on there. But other than that, I don't think they can financially afford to not have the Networks involved on a heavy basis. They can't switch over to games only on the NFLN and Sunday Tix, the revenue simply won't be there. And if it's one thing the NFL craves more than player safety, it's money.

Why share the advertising revenue with the regular networks when they can have it all for themselves from their own network? Then, get the equivalent of a few bucks from every viewer for every game and the $s become enormous. They could make their current income look like peanuts.

Harlan Huckleby
12-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Thursday night football is an overreach by the NFL. just dump it.

And of course last night they had to go head-to-head with Carrie Underwood live in "The Sound of Music"
I got thru the first five minutes

red
12-06-2013, 04:24 PM

And of course last night they had to go head-to-head with Carrie Underwood live in "The Sound of Music"
I watched the big bang theory, then turned off the tv and read a book

Guiness
12-06-2013, 06:23 PM

Got through the first five minutes of what?

Harlan Huckleby
12-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Got through the first five minutes of what?

sound of music - horrible

pbmax
12-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Thats the day the nfl dies imo

There is some kind of optimum distribution here.

If they pull everything from the other Networks, they miss out on tons of publicity, marketing and extra shows devoted to the NFL. That generates a tremendous amount of programming from TV, to websites and radio shows.

However, Patler is right, that at least in the short term, broadcasting their own product would increase the profit margin. There are two question they have to ask themselves, do they have the reach and capability to maximize revenue (just think of the ad tie-ins alone) like the Networks are experts at. Much of that expertise can probably be hired in relatively short time frames.

The second one is Congressional action if they put most of their games on pay TV. There is some distance to travel before everyone is ready for that. Right now to get the NFLN, most of the country has to shell out for an additional cable tier package. And if they moves more games to it, its going to be more expensive.

The only plus here is that if enough Leagues do this, it might finally bring an end to the career of Chris Berman.

Pugger
12-07-2013, 04:28 PM

Weren't all of the games on the NFLN pretty crappy this year?