PDA

View Full Version : On DEFENSE OF PACKERS - Blitzing isn't helping ! A video Analysis.

woodbuck27
12-06-2013, 10:52 PM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/What-You-Mightve-Missed-Blitzing-isnt-helping/72ea0b04-b24a-433e-bc68-aaae2eeba1f6

What You Might've Missed: Blitzing isn't helping

Posted Dec 5, 2013

Mike Spofford

packers.com staff writer

Comment wodbuck27:

Maybe... you need a new caper .... DOM CAPERS.

GO PACKERS !

bobblehead
12-07-2013, 05:44 AM
If you can't get to the QB with 4 its bad. If you don't get to him with 6 its a disaster.

pbmax
12-07-2013, 08:30 AM
And I read somewhere on this nutball forum that most of the sacks this year took 5 or 6 man rushes.

woodbuck27
12-07-2013, 03:45 PM
And I read somewhere on this nutball forum that most of the sacks this year took 5 or 6 man rushes.

mmmm ... Screen pass !

bobblehead
12-07-2013, 08:01 PM
I had a coach in college who had a rule. You have to get to the QB in under 3.5 seconds with a normal rush. If you blitz, knock a second off that. In either event, if you miss those benchmarks you probably just gave up yards.

KYPack
12-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I had a coach in college who had a rule. You have to get to the QB in under 3.5 seconds with a normal rush. If you blitz, knock a second off that. In either event, if you miss those benchmarks you probably just gave up yards.

3.5 sec is gettin' it done.

I've got a beef with our blitzes. Fire zone blitzes were a new thing 20 years ago. Now everybody has schemes to beat 'em. We also don't have any DBacks who blitz that well. Losing Collins and Wood lost us our two top backliners that could really storm the QB. Hawk did some good earlier, but now, no ILB rushes effectively in blitz situations. Our cross blitzes (FireX)? Fuggitaboudit.

Patler
12-08-2013, 09:05 AM

I've got a beef with our blitzes. Fire zone blitzes were a new thing 20 years ago. Now everybody has schemes to beat 'em. We also don't have any DBacks who blitz that well. Losing Collins and Wood lost us our two top backliners that could really storm the QB. Hawk did some good earlier, but now, no ILB rushes effectively in blitz situations. Our cross blitzes (FireX)? Fuggitaboudit.

Not disputing it at all, but this again emphasizes how big it was losing Collins in the prime of his career. It seems like no matter what aspect of the defense shortcomings are discussed, inevitably it is mentioned that loosing Collins hurt.

Run support, losing Collins hurt.
Getting interceptions, losing Collins hurt.
Stopping big plays, losing Collins hurt.
Blitzing, losing Collins hurt.
Making up for mistakes & failures by others, losing Collins hurt.
Communication among DBs, losing Collins hurt.
Aggressiveness, physicality, losing Collins hurt.
Overall weakness up the middle, losing Collins hurt.

The list is almost endless.

Fritz
12-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Packers getting injured and dropping like flies, losing Collins hurt.

bobblehead
12-08-2013, 10:13 AM

The coach I refer to was Jim Lind. He coached with Holmgren at BYU and orchestrated air Eau Claire (I know, corny). Jim had a ludicrous passing offense for a d3 college, but he had a rule. QB drops back. Looks through 3 progressions. If he hasn't thrown to one he fires it oob over heads. That took 3.5 seconds according to him.

bobblehead
12-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Not disputing it at all, but this again emphasizes how big it was losing Collins in the prime of his career. It seems like no matter what aspect of the defense shortcomings are discussed, inevitably it is mentioned that loosing Collins hurt.

Run support, losing Collins hurt.
Getting interceptions, losing Collins hurt.
Stopping big plays, losing Collins hurt.
Blitzing, losing Collins hurt.
Making up for mistakes & failures by others, losing Collins hurt.
Communication among DBs, losing Collins hurt.
Aggressiveness, physicality, losing Collins hurt.
Overall weakness up the middle, losing Collins hurt.

The list is almost endless.

on 3rd or 4th and 1 I always used to expect either collins knifing in on a stretch run, or Woodson blitzing past a tackle to make a hit in the backfield. Those 2 together were awesome.

pbmax
12-08-2013, 11:17 AM
on 3rd or 4th and 1 I always used to expect either collins knifing in on a stretch run, or Woodson blitzing past a tackle to make a hit in the backfield. Those 2 together were awesome.

I think Hayward (plus some Hyde) can be one of them. Still looking for a safety (maybe Hyde?).