PDA

View Full Version : On the latest Ask Vic: First comes the want to hit, then comes technique

woodbuck27
12-06-2013, 11:06 PM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/First-comes-the-want-to-hit-then-comes-technique/05b36f20-d186-489b-bde8-695095770ddd

First comes the want to hit, then comes technique

Sean from Grand Prairie, TX

" The Packers were No. 4 against the run not too long ago, and now they’re at the bottom of the rankings. I work in IT and one of the first rules you learn is that if something was working and no longer isn’t, you look at what changed. So I ask you, what changed?
"

Vic's response was ? Hit the LINK to find out.

Comment woodbuck27:

a) Does Vic's response make sense to you and why do you agree with it or disagree with it?

b) Does his response in any way confuse you? Why if so does his response confuse you?

PACKERS !

Oscar
12-07-2013, 05:08 AM
My first thought was that Vic was simply being a smart ass. But, I think Rodgers abilities alone kinda masked our defense's inabilities. Did that make sense?? After a team would score on a blown coverage by our D I always felt like it would be OK... Rodgers will get it back.

bobblehead
12-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Oscar, you didn't read far enough, but the quote Woody put up about desire is covered near the bottom.

What changed imo is simple. We read about the packers taking the contact a bit more seriously this camp. Then the season started and MM is so afraid of injury that the only contact they really get is gameday. I think you get tentative when you don't hit all week then try to do it 100%. As vic says, a lot of it is desire. You play like you practice. MM is on record in his methods if you read between the lines and put the puzzle together. He likes to practice in climate controlled hudson center. He likes his guys fresh. IMO the end result is that the team isn't hardened for contact like you need to be.

I never got hurt in 10 years of football. I had a coach early on that told me to look for contact on every play even in practice because the guy that gets hurt is the guy who is lollygagging around and taking the hit, not the guy delivering it. Starks laid out Merriweather in part because he delivered that blow. This team looks to drag guys down, not tackle them. Its ugly and I'm convinced it stems from the practice methods. MM has such a premium in gap responsibility and all that stuff which is important, but if you are always in the right position and get beat physically....so what about being smart (I'm talking to you AJ Hawk).

pbmax
12-07-2013, 09:09 AM
14 padded practices per regular season for every team.

The Packers are still running the half line drill from camp during this once per week padded practice.

woodbuck27
12-07-2013, 09:44 AM
My first thought was that Vic was simply being a smart ass. But, I think Rodgers abilities alone kinda masked our defense's inabilities. Did that make sense?? After a team would score on a blown coverage by our D I always felt like it would be OK... Rodgers will get it back.

Even the darkest clouds often have a silver lining.

Losing Aaron Rodgers has made it very clear to every Packer fan that the Green Bay 'D' isn't capable.

We can 'only hope' that MM and TT agree with what we have seen and what some Packer fans saw even before AR went down .

AND

Will as a result address the 'D' issues aggressively in the off season.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
12-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Oscar, you didn't read far enough, but the quote Woody put up about desire is covered near the bottom.

What changed imo is simple. We read about the packers taking the contact a bit more seriously this camp. Then the season started and MM is so afraid of injury that the only contact they really get is gameday. I think you get tentative when you don't hit all week then try to do it 100%. As vic says, a lot of it is desire. You play like you practice. MM is on record in his methods if you read between the lines and put the puzzle together. He likes to practice in climate controlled hudson center. He likes his guys fresh. IMO the end result is that the team isn't hardened for contact like you need to be.

I never got hurt in 10 years of football. I had a coach early on that told me to look for contact on every play even in practice because the guy that gets hurt is the guy who is lollygagging around and taking the hit, not the guy delivering it. Starks laid out Merriweather in part because he delivered that blow. This team looks to drag guys down, not tackle them. Its ugly and I'm convinced it stems from the practice methods. MM has such a premium in gap responsibility and all that stuff which is important, but if you are always in the right position and get beat physically....so what about being smart (I'm talking to you AJ Hawk).

Yes I agree and what else makes any sense.

A person cannot even dance well if that person hasn't been dancing.

If you havn't been dancing your all tucked out in two tune time.

Fritz
12-07-2013, 09:53 AM
I don't agree with Vic that the guy who wants to "blow people up" is the best tackler. I get so damn aggravated at these players who lower their shoulders to deliver the big blow, or try to poke the ball out, rather than make the damn tackle.

How many times have we seen would-be tacklers try to deliver the big hit, only to have the runner bounce off and get another ten yards?

Square up to the guy, keep your head up, keep your balance, hit, wrap up. Just do that.

woodbuck27
12-07-2013, 10:02 AM
I don't agree with Vic that the guy who wants to "blow people up" is the best tackler. I get so damn aggravated at these players who lower their shoulders to deliver the big blow, or try to poke the ball out, rather than make the damn tackle.

How many times have we seen would-be tacklers try to deliver the big hit, only to have the runner bounce off and get another ten yards?

Square up to the guy, keep your head up, keep your balance, hit, wrap up. Just do that.

Keep it simple and forget the highlight video.

Tramon Williams knows that the Packers havn't been doing it right. A ten year old Packer fan would know that the Green Bay Packers havn't been even close to getting it right in terms of decent tackling.

Post Packers @ LIONS:

MM said it very well. You can't win blowing ten tackles.

What happens... as it did Vs Detroit... when the Green Bay Packers had 20 blown tackles. That was outrageously ugly. These are Green Bay PACKER roster players. Simply stinking out the joint in terms of tackling on ST's and 'D'.

Pugger
12-07-2013, 11:16 AM

The Packers are still running the half line drill from camp during this once per week padded practice.

And because of the limit on padded practices is one of the reasons IMO why our tackling sucks.

bobblehead
12-07-2013, 08:29 PM

Yea, I know. I have bashed the new agreement that doesn't allow players off season activities to improve, or in season contact to keep the form up. Its not all on MM anymore, but he better find a way to bend those rules.

bobblehead
12-07-2013, 08:32 PM

Thats where gang tackling comes in. I think there was an article on JS this week where someone said they need to gang up better. (tramon I think).

woodbuck27
12-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Thats where gang tackling comes in. I think there was an article on JS this week where someone said they need to gang up better. (tramon I think).

Yes Tramon Williams commented on that.

I'm seeing the secondary look at one another to see who makes the tackle. it's weird to see. Simply get to the ball (carrier) and thump him. Put his butt on the mat. It's like they fear getting hurt if more than one guy tackles whomever has the ball.

Look at the number of assisted tackles and compare that to previous times. Do you recall when the Packers were up for a game and it was several men to the ball? Your not seeing that anymore.

From what I know there's a strong argument that the Packer defense hasn't played as bad as it is now for over 25 years ... for over a quarter century.

The Packers 'D' isn't just slipping ..... it's horrid.