PDA

View Full Version : Most miserable game in Packers history

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm going to nominate Thanksgiving 2013. I won't elaborate, it's fresh in your mind. I really did not like watching that.

The only thing that comes close is the Lindy Infante whuppin in Indianapolis.

KYPack
12-07-2013, 09:25 PM
The 48-47 game?

I was there, what a game.

Gunslinger vs The Sheriff.

I thought Javon Walker was on his way to a long Packer career and the HOF after that one.

esoxx
12-07-2013, 09:56 PM
No, thinking the game your referencing was somewhere around 2003 or so KY. I remember that shootout I believe on a Monday night between 'slinger and sheriff. Lindy was washed out of the league by that point as a HC.

Thinking what blue dog is referencing was a game during the '97 season when Pack lost to a winless Colt team in November on the way to Super Bowl XXXII.

As far as miserable games, look back at a Thursday night game in '91 at home against the Bears if you want misery. Almost swore off the Pack after that one it was so bad. October 10, 1991 or so. Brutal

KYPack
12-07-2013, 10:38 PM
No, thinking the game your referencing was somewhere around 2003 or so KY. I remember that shootout I believe on a Monday night between 'slinger and sheriff. Lindy was washed out of the league by that point as a HC.

Thinking what blue dog is referencing was a game during the '97 season when Pack lost to a winless Colt team in November on the way to Super Bowl XXXII.

As far as miserable games, look back at a Thursday night game in '91 at home against the Bears if you want misery. Almost swore off the Pack after that one it was so bad. October 10, 1991 or so. Brutal

I was at that one, too.

The Gunslinger vs Justincredible Paul Justin. We lose on a last second 'FG 41 - 38. Justin played very well, Antonio Freeman was our big gun and he played well. Favre took us in for the tying td 38 - 38. Justin lead Indy the length of the field with 5 mins to go. They got the ball at the one with just under 2 mins to go. They simply milked the clock and took a 41 - 38 lead with no time left. We couldn't see Justin being able to stand up to a Favre onslaught, but he damned well did it.

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2013, 11:38 PM
a game during the '97 season when Pack lost to a winless Colt team in November on the way to Super Bowl XXXII.

Ya, that's what I was thinking of. For some reason, I thought that game was way back in the Lindy Infante era.

Another horrible game involved playoffs and multiple Brett Favre interceptions.

th87
12-08-2013, 02:34 AM
Yup, the Rams playoff game popped into mind.

And the Cardinals playoff game. Total kick in the balls.

Patler
12-08-2013, 05:28 AM
Thanksgiving Day, but not 2013. Thanksgiving 1962. I didn't have high expectations in 2013, with the Packers starting their 4th different QB, decimated by other injuries and in the clutches of a month-long winless streak. I did have high expectations in 1962 for a Packer team that was undefeated and was steamrolling through their schedule, absolutely dominating in most of their games. They didn't just lose in 1962. like this year, they were physically dominated and embarrassed, but it hurt more in 1962 because of the far greater expectations.

Joemailman
12-08-2013, 07:37 AM
December 27, 1992. Holmgren's and Favre's first year in Green Bay. The Packers had won 6 in a row to move to 9-6 and needed one more win to qualify for the playoffs. They went to Minnesota and were hammered 27-7. Even though it was a temporary setback for an up and coming team, that was a tough one to swallow at the time for me.

Harlan Huckleby
12-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Now I remember why my faulty brain placed the 1997 Colts debacle in the Infante era: Infante was coaching the Colts that year. Another fun fact is that Tony Mandarch was a starting tackle for the Colts in that game.

Harlan Huckleby
12-08-2013, 09:26 AM
December 27, 1992. Holmgren's and Favre's first year in Green Bay. The Packers had won 6 in a row to move to 9-6 and needed one more win to qualify for the playoffs. They went to Minnesota and were hammered 27-7. Even though it was a temporary setback for an up and coming team, that was a tough one to swallow at the time for me.

Who was the goat in that game? Was that a T-Buck memory?

channtheman
12-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Most miserable game? I'm gonna go with 4th and 24 in the playoffs against the Eagles. I was much younger back then and that made me depressed for two weeks afterwards.

Fritz
12-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Most miserable game? I'm gonna go with 4th and 24 in the playoffs against the Eagles. I was much younger back then and that made me depressed for two weeks afterwards.

This one, or that Thanksgiving game when the Cowboys beat up on the Pack back in the Jimmy Johnson days.

Or the playoff game in Arizona.

Or the playoff game in the 80's after Lynn Dickey led the Pack to a playoff win against the Cards, and they faced off against the Cowpukes, only to lose because the defense forgot to defend.

It all depends on your perspective. If you were watching the Packers lose a playoff game with Scott Hunter as your QB when you were a kid and lived and died with the Packers, then that one was the worst.

And that one was especially bad because the Packers didn't even sniff at the playoffs for many years afterward.

Remember when 8-7-1 was Bart Starr's finest hour as coach?

sooner6600
12-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Ok;

But for folks who beleive in reality on Nov 2, 1958 The Packers underwhelmed the Baltimore Colts 0-56.

Yes, the game was on Milwaukee TV.

Ray McClean was the coach with 17th round draft Choice Bart someone From Alabama on the bench.

bobblehead
12-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Duel Nomination: 1) Packers lose for first time ever in Playoffs at Lambeau to Falcons. 2) After winning the superbowl packers go 15-1 on way to winning second of 11 straight. Giants interrupt well laid plan.

denverYooper
12-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Duel Nomination: 1) Packers lose for first time ever in Playoffs at Lambeau to Falcons. 2) After winning the superbowl packers go 15-1 on way to winning second of 11 straight. Giants interrupt well laid plan.

These are good ones, except I was a lot more sure the Packers would win against the Falcons.

run pMc
12-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Boy, these are all good ones and they all were pretty miserable.

I'll throw one out that nobody's mentioned: the Dec 19, 2005 loss to Kyle Boller and the Ravens 48-3 on MNF. It was in Week 15 of the 4-12 season, and Bert Farv had no help, but to get shellacked by Kyle Boller on national TV and fall so far from a playoff team to that was miserable.

MadtownPacker
12-08-2013, 01:52 PM
You must have been too young to count because it was 4th&26. But you're right that one sucked more than Harlan at a pride parade.

channtheman
12-08-2013, 03:05 PM
You must have been too young to count because it was 4th&26. But you're right that one sucked more than Harlan at a pride parade.

Right you are. Got my numbers all mixed up. No one else caught it! Or at least pointed it out!

TravisWilliams23
12-08-2013, 03:44 PM
I gotta go with the super bowl loss to the Broncos in 97 or 98? 18 point favorites and they let the Rat win one for Elway. It was the super bowl man and you DO NOT LOSE the super bowl!

bobblehead
12-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Right you are. Got my numbers all mixed up. No one else caught it! Or at least pointed it out!

I blocked that play from my memory so I didn't really have a chance to catch it.

Freak Out
12-08-2013, 11:54 PM
I gotta go with the super bowl loss to the Broncos in 97 or 98? 18 point favorites and they let the Rat win one for Elway. It was the super bowl man and you DO NOT LOSE the super bowl!

This...the 4th and 26 game...I remember the MNF game in Denver during a blizzard. Down 14 in ike 20 seconds due to fumbles. Fuck...

Pugger
12-09-2013, 07:40 AM

Or how about the last time the Falcons were in Green Bay on cold and snowy evening?

Pugger
12-09-2013, 07:43 AM

Oh god, how could we forget that nightmare? :eek:

pbmax
12-09-2013, 07:55 AM
I blocked that play from my memory so I didn't really have a chance to catch it.

Its going to take significant therapy to relive that game OR the chance Darren Sharper gets HOF votes and qualifies as a finalist.

The Shadow
12-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Thanksgiving Day, but not 2013. Thanksgiving 1962. I didn't have high expectations in 2013, with the Packers starting their 4th different QB, decimated by other injuries and in the clutches of a month-long winless streak. I did have high expectations in 1962 for a Packer team that was undefeated and was steamrolling through their schedule, absolutely dominating in most of their games. They didn't just lose in 1962. like this year, they were physically dominated and embarrassed, but it hurt more in 1962 because of the far greater expectations.

Agree. The appearance of the "Look Out, Bart!! block.

pbmax
12-09-2013, 08:07 AM
First my joke: you old guys should really write these memories down before you forget them!

Next a serious suggestion: a book about fan's memories of the Packers years gone by. Have to be a lot of detail people simply don't get in standard issue books on the subject. I really want to read more about "Look Out, Bart!" blocking.

hoosier
12-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Another worst game candidate: the loss to SF in 1998-99 wildcard game. That one was a double or triple whammy: lost on a bad non-call, lost chance to stick it to Minny in the championship game, and confirmed the "fart in the wind" diagnosis about the 95-97 teams.

Smidgeon
12-09-2013, 10:57 AM
I know it's recent and I've been watching for not as long as other Rats, but my worst game was the Cardinals game where the refs called the game against the Pack. That one hurt. It was as if it was decided already. That one took me the entire offseason and most of the following season to get over.

It isn't the worst defeat or the most embarrassing. It wins simply on how long it took me to recover.

The Shadow
12-09-2013, 11:12 AM
First my joke: you old guys should really write these memories down before you forget them!

Next a serious suggestion: a book about fan's memories of the Packers years gone by. Have to be a lot of detail people simply don't get in standard issue books on the subject. I really want to read more about "Look Out, Bart!" blocking.

The Packers were rolling along & a favorite on that Thanksgiving.
But Alex Karras, Roger Brown & Joe Schmidt blitzed unmercifully - and the O line was virtually helpless - and Starr was sacked again & again.
After the game, Jerry Kramer said that that the blocking scheme was basically "Look Out, Bart!"

woodbuck27
12-09-2013, 12:08 PM
My choice for the loss that made me feel most miserable:

I just looked and found this:

If you don't recall it or never saw this be warned. It's UGLY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHdK-ueD6hU

The 1998 Playoffs - Wild Card game - San Francisco 49ers 30 - Green Bay Packers 27

That bloody game was ours but ** the Official's stole it from us **.

I'll always remember the play at the end. That play after a nice drive was Steve Young’s last ditch game-winning 25-yard touchdown pass to Terrell Owens. So many here will re-call that play ... the dagger in the Packers heart. Young managed to thread a pass to TO inspite of the Packers tight pass coverage that converged on TO just inside the end zone ... left.

I'll never forget TO slanting left across the goal line and making a leaping catch to pull down Young's 20 plus yard pass with 3 seconds remaining in the game. Terrell Owens was having a great season but that play, later called 'The Catch II' defined him first IMO.

That catch shouldn't have been.

** What set that up was a blown call by the Officials on a play that occurred earlier on the same drive.

At the tail-end of Jerry Rice’s first catch of the game on the right side of the field. He bobbled the ball and fumbled as he fell to the ground . The officials ruled that Jerry Rice was down before he fumbled the ball; and replays showed otherwise. The ball should have come back to the Packers as we recovered the fumble. Back then there was no instant replay and consequently no avenue to reverse the ruling on the field.

The drive continued and well it's all above.

I'll never forget the reactions of Brett Favre and Mike Holmgren to Terrell Owens amazing catch as they watched helplessly on the sidelines.

The season was over !

I awoke the following morning and lay in bed looking at the ceiling thinking...all that ...was simply a bad nightmare.

Fritz
12-09-2013, 12:11 PM
I remember that one, too. Sadly. And it was Darren Sharper who was just .... one....half....second.....late on that winning touchdown catch.

Grr.

woodbuck27
12-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Another worst game candidate: the loss to SF in 1998-99 wildcard game. That one was a double or triple whammy: lost on a bad non-call, lost chance to stick it to Minny in the championship game, and confirmed the "fart in the wind" diagnosis about the 95-97 teams.

I just posted something on that terrible loss the Packers and Packer fans suffered as well.

I never felt as stunned as I did after that game. I even somehow blacked/blocked it out it shocked me so.

Guiness
12-09-2013, 12:49 PM
I just posted something on that terrible loss the Packers and Packer fans suffered as well.

I never felt as stunned as I did after that game. I even somehow blacked/blocked it out it shocked me so.

That was TO's coming of age party. He was (relatively) unknown, playing the Rice's shadow but he dominated for a few years after that. That play was an incredible catch and he held on to the ball despite getting rocked. It doesn't bother me as much as the gift to Rice did.

woodbuck27
12-09-2013, 01:08 PM
That was TO's coming of age party. He was (relatively) unknown, playing the Rice's shadow but he dominated for a few years after that. That play was an incredible catch and he held on to the ball despite getting rocked. It doesn't bother me as much as the gift to Rice did.

Yes. No game loss ever disturbed me like that one. I literally went into some form of shock. Blocked it out.

Bossman641
12-09-2013, 01:29 PM
My memory bank doesn't go back quite as far as many of you but it's 4th and 26 for me followed by TO.

That 4th and 26 team felt unstoppable. Ahman and that OL rolled over people and I believe that was the U-71 days.
TO hurts because of the missed Rice fumble

For sheer helplessness feeling, Favre's 6 INT games against the Rams takes the top spot.

hoosier
12-09-2013, 02:13 PM
How bout this one? Final game of the 1988 season, the Packers (3-12) play at Phoenix (7-8) and overcome a 17-13 second half deficit to win 26-17. What does that win get them? They move out of a tie with Dallas for worst record in the league (GB would have won the conference record tiebreaker) and as a result they pick second in the 1989 draft. The Cowboys get Troy Aikman while the Packers pick Tony Mandarich.

If Aikman then no Favre, of course, but if Aikman then possibly no Dallas dynasty in the early 1990s either.

HarveyWallbangers
12-09-2013, 03:34 PM
I was at that one, too.

The Gunslinger vs Justincredible Paul Justin. We lose on a last second 'FG 41 - 38. Justin played very well, Antonio Freeman was our big gun and he played well. Favre took us in for the tying td 38 - 38. Justin lead Indy the length of the field with 5 mins to go. They got the ball at the one with just under 2 mins to go. They simply milked the clock and took a 41 - 38 lead with no time left. We couldn't see Justin being able to stand up to a Favre onslaught, but he damned well did it.

I remember Dorsey having a big game... including a long run up the right sideline. I believe that was in 1997 and kind of foreshadowed our defense getting old. It came back to haunt us at the end of the year. I think Indy was like 0-9-1 or something ridiculous. Up until that point, we looked like a lock to repeat as champions.

pbmax
12-09-2013, 03:51 PM
None of you in this thread would make good cornerbacks or quarterbacks. Maybe QB or safety. Too long a memory.