PDA

View Full Version : MCGINN---McMillen Wrong from the Start

Bretsky
12-07-2013, 10:26 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-jerron-mcmillian-was-wrong-pick-from-beginning-b99157863z1-234923911.html

Rutnstrut
12-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Excellent article.

Carolina_Packer
12-07-2013, 11:29 PM
There have been times when TT drafted a guy you had never heard of, and you scratched your head and sometimes it panned out and, so you just said, I guess he knew about that one. In this case, I don't think McGinn is second guessing him because he never did like the pick in the first place. Sometimes you get too cute and think you are going to out-scoop people on a particular talent. To a certain extent they are all projects coming in, but you figure 4th round should be more of a sure thing. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rounds/_/round/4/year/2012 It's too bad to see other safeties chosen in the 5th and 6th rounds that are still in the NFL, including Iloka, mentioned in the article. Other safeties chosen after McMillian, and still playing in the league include:

5th rounders
Robert Blanton, MN, from Notre Dame
Corey White, NO, from Samford
George Iloka, CIN, from Boise State

6th rounders
Justin Bethel, AZ, from Presbyterian
Winston Guy, SEA, from Kentucky
Josh Bush, NYJ, from Wake Forest

Also chosen earlier in the 6th round...Danny Trevathan, OLB, Denver, who seems to make a ton of plays for their defense. J.R. Sweezy, a starting RG for Seattle, was drafted in the 7th round out of NC State and was a DT in college. What vision by that staff! Seattle ain't swinging and missing on guys like McMillian.

pbmax
12-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Well, someone is speaking out of turn at Lombardi Avenue and they are dumping blame for one of the current position problems on the defensive staff and McCarthy. This is not good. However, because this info is rare it seems scandalous. People always want to know if coaches get any say and it would seem they do. And it does not always work out well. But I doubt this is the first McCarthy and his coaches' wish list have been heard upstairs.

As for the report, 4th round pick can't stay in League. Film at 11. There is no doubt that failures drafting have hurt this team (and not just this year). But its no different than other years. 2012 isn't the only bad year for Ted drafting.

However, the one fact missing from McGinn's report is whether the Packers had a rep at McMillan's pro day. That seems an odd detail to not address.

Joemailman
12-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Well, someone is speaking out of turn at Lombardi Avenue and they are dumping blame for one of the current position problems on the defensive staff and McCarthy. This is not good. However, because this info is rare it seems scandalous. People always want to know if coaches get any say and it would seem they do. And it does not always work out well. But I doubt this is the first McCarthy and his coaches' wish list have been heard upstairs.

As for the report, 4th round pick can't stay in League. Film at 11. There is no doubt that failures drafting have hurt this team (and not just this year). But its no different than other years. 2012 isn't the only bad year for Ted drafting.

However, the one fact missing from McGinn's report is whether the Packers had a rep at McMillan's pro day. That seems an odd detail to not address.

https://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/22/sports/umaine-seniors-showcase-skills-for-nfl-scouts/

Representatives from the New England Patriots, Kansas City Chiefs, Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Rams and Carolina Panthers were on hand to put the UMaine seniors through their paces in a series of activities. They included the vertical jump and the bench press in the Latti Fitness Center before the group relocated to Alfond Stadium to take advantage of the unseasonably warm temperatures.

No mention of the Packers there. Can't say for certain if that list is complete.

Patler
12-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Well, someone is speaking out of turn at Lombardi Avenue ....

It seems this has been coming up more often the last few years. The organization has grown a lot in recent years, and hires a lot more of the transient type even in lower positions. People who come from one team and then leave for another. It is not as cloistered as it once was.

Fritz
12-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Which can be a good or a bad thing.

As for being cloistered, all I can say is the Packer defense is playing like a group of cloistered nuns right now.

Hindsight is nice, isn't it? When Nick Collins was picked, I went through the roof. Who the hell was that guy? And in the second round?

My guess is that you could write the same article - the parts about nobody really evaluated this guy highly, that the coaches fell in love with this guy, that he was drafted way higher than draft reports suggested he would or should be - about Nick Collins, too.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Patler
12-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Which can be a good or a bad thing.

As for being cloistered, all I can say is the Packer defense is playing like a group of cloistered nuns right now.

Hindsight is nice, isn't it? When Nick Collins was picked, I went through the roof. Who the hell was that guy? And in the second round?

My guess is that you could write the same article - the parts about nobody really evaluated this guy highly, that the coaches fell in love with this guy, that he was drafted way higher than draft reports suggested he would or should be - about Nick Collins, too.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Agreed, and when you are looking at someone drafted in the 4th round there is no shortage of criticism, because if there wasn't, he would have gone much higher.

bobblehead
12-08-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't agree with the premise of the article. Some points of interest. We drafted for need....interesting. We could have waited. Nice to know that no one was going to take Jerron McMillan for absolute sure. Just last year I waited one extra round to take AJ Green in fantasy because no one was going to take him yet...I took second to the guy who drafted two picks later. Guess who he took.

Body of work. Yes, this pick turned sour. The draft as a whole is still to be determined because I think we got a stud in Daniels (probably picked him too high. Pretty sure we could have waited a round). Hayward may be a stud as well. Perry, jury is still out. How many drafts land 2 stud starters and 2 more big contributors? This one might yet and I suspect it will. Daniels was too small btw. And I am positive we could have landed Collins in the 3rd, that was definitely too high to take such a no name player.

Harlan Huckleby
12-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I refuse to read that McGinn article. The fact that a middle round draft pick didn't pan out is not big news, it's hindsight.

pbmax
12-08-2013, 11:13 AM
It seems this has been coming up more often the last few years. The organization has grown a lot in recent years, and hires a lot more of the transient type even in lower positions. People who come from one team and then leave for another. It is not as cloistered as it once was.

Yes, but many of the ladder climbers are in admin not the football side, though there has been significant change there as well. I just saw Gutenkist's name mentioned for future GM possibilities this week as part of a top 5 climbers in NFL front offices. The guy who just left, I wonder what his charge was? The paper said he had wide-ranging portfolio, but I suspect the stadium expansion was a large portion of that and its done.

I think Bob just took something said in a emphasized but perfunctory way (we are focused like a laser on injuries and toughness) and went hog-wild in the offseason with soft n' small.

This one seems kinda specific.

Carolina_Packer
12-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Yes, but many of the ladder climbers are in admin not the football side, though there has been significant change there as well. I just saw Gutenkist's name mentioned for future GM possibilities this week as part of a top 5 climbers in NFL front offices. The guy who just left, I wonder what his charge was? The paper said he had wide-ranging portfolio, but I suspect the stadium expansion was a large portion of that and its done.

I think Bob just took something said in a emphasized but perfunctory way (we are focused like a laser on injuries and toughness) and went hog-wild in the offseason with soft n' small.

This one seems kinda specific.

Isn't McGinn kind of a gotcha! guy when it comes to TT anyway? You hope that the guy in charge never reaches for a pick, but it happens. Gotta just move on down the road and learn from whatever mistake was made. If someone wants to bang on him for all his failures, just remember that some guys like McMillian are given an opportunity and they come through. I'm disappointed that the pick didn't pan out, but gotta move on, and hope for no more reaches.

run pMc
12-08-2013, 12:00 PM
I refuse to read that McGinn article. The fact that a middle round draft pick didn't pan out is not big news, it's hindsight.

This, although I did read the article.

Where are the articles about the Pat Lee and Brian Brohm picks? Those were R2 guys, and IMO it's much costlier if your R2 picks don't pan out to contribute enough to merit keeping on the roster.
How about Cory Rogers?

It's woulda shoulda coulda.

They could've gone offense and picked a RB like Vick Ballard, Alfred Morris, Bryce Brown, Daryl Richardson and not picked Lacy/Franklin this year! They could have picked G Senio Kelemete instead...blah blah blah. So TT made a mistake. It happens. He'll learn from it and move on. McGinn is either trying to stir up the readers or push some kind of vendetta with TT (I'd lean towards the former).

pbmax
12-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Isn't McGinn kind of a gotcha! guy when it comes to TT anyway? You hope that the guy in charge never reaches for a pick, but it happens. Gotta just move on down the road and learn from whatever mistake was made. If someone wants to bang on him for all his failures, just remember that some guys like McMillian are given an opportunity and they come through. I'm disappointed that the pick didn't pan out, but gotta move on, and hope for no more reaches.

They are definitely looking for clicks on these headline column pieces by Bob on Sundays. So the headline often outstrips the content. He does some hindsight gotcha but that is all you can hope for with even a reasonably successful GM. Another column on the backup QB situation isn't going to make a splash.

So its of a piece with his Sunday columns, but its not a specific hobby horse to take shots at T2 for him.

woodbuck27
12-08-2013, 04:08 PM
There have been times when TT drafted a guy you had never heard of, and you scratched your head and sometimes it panned out and, so you just said, I guess he knew about that one. In this case, I don't think McGinn is second guessing him because he never did like the pick in the first place. Sometimes you get too cute and think you are going to out-scoop people on a particular talent. To a certain extent they are all projects coming in, but you figure 4th round should be more of a sure thing. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rounds/_/round/4/year/2012 It's too bad to see other safeties chosen in the 5th and 6th rounds that are still in the NFL, including Iloka, mentioned in the article. Other safeties chosen after McMillian, and still playing in the league include:

5th rounders
Robert Blanton, MN, from Notre Dame
Corey White, NO, from Samford
George Iloka, CIN, from Boise State

6th rounders
Justin Bethel, AZ, from Presbyterian
Winston Guy, SEA, from Kentucky
Josh Bush, NYJ, from Wake Forest

Also chosen earlier in the 6th round...Danny Trevathan, OLB, Denver, who seems to make a ton of plays for their defense. J.R. Sweezy, a starting RG for Seattle, was drafted in the 7th round out of NC State and was a DT in college. What vision by that staff! Seattle ain't swinging and missing on guys like McMillian.

We must wait to be sure but my guts screamed 'a bust' when TT picked Jerron McMillian. I looked at the Program he came from and said to myself...an unlikely pick to last. Also ... Why the fourth round TT? Afraid to lose him?

I'm guessing it wasn't worth the risk to Ted Thompson. Another of his 'diamonds in the rough' picks.

Please .....stop that TT.

I mean the University of Maine ! They play decent hockey there. Football...?

Joemailman
12-08-2013, 04:11 PM
WEE must wait to be sure but my guts screamed a bust when TT picked Jerron McMillian. I looked at the Program he came from and said to myself...an unlikely pick to last.

Did you think the same thing when TT took Nick Collins from Bethune-Cookman? Or Donald Driver from Alcorn State?

woodbuck27
12-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Did you think the same thing when TT took Nick Collins from Bethune-Cookman? Or Donald Driver from Alcorn State?

I was like most here and went what in hell was that about...who is that guy...when TT picked Nick Collins. Were you elated !? If you were I'd say you we're following College ball comprehensively... closely. There were other more popular picks that TT might have chosen Joe. ie Justin Tuck. Not a bad pick for the GIANTS and on the board for TT.

I was 'in fact' fine with the DD pick. I'll never forget that feel good about him... feeling. I started to pull for DD from that moment... Day Joe.

I will not adjust what I felt RE: TT and loving Jerron McMillian in the 4th round. Did that work out? No and I didn't get that feeling that it might. It's just that feeling...Joe and it comes with decades of being a sports fan. I hope you arrive there one day. :grin:

I trust that's acceptable to you?

Carolina_Packer
12-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Swing...Miss...move on, develop a better eye...swing again.

pbmax
12-08-2013, 04:57 PM

Or Darren Sharper from William and Mary?

The player matters, not the school. The success of players from smaller programs means shock on draft day means very little.

ThunderDan
12-08-2013, 09:47 PM

The player matters, not the school. The success of players from smaller programs means shock on draft day means very little.

A lot of grumbling occurred when the Pack picked Jennings from Western Michigan in the second round.

Bretsky
12-08-2013, 09:58 PM

LOTS of RATS loved George Iloka and wanted him fwiw when he was passed

pbmax
12-08-2013, 09:59 PM
A lot of grumbling occurred when the Pack picked Jennings from Western Michigan in the second round.

Chad Jackson!!

ThunderDan
12-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Wasn't BJ Sanders a fourth rounder? Where was the McGinn article on that one?

Badgerinmaine
12-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Jack Cosgrove runs a fine Division 1 FCS program for UMaine up in Orono (though I'll admit I don't follow it extremely closely). They are a perennial power in their league, which they won this year, and had a bye in the first round of the FCS playoffs (they lost to UNH yesterday). Considering how little talent comes out of Maine high schools that can play at that level, they are darned good.
Hockey's actually been down lately, which is why they fired their hockey coach Tim Whitehead last year.

bobblehead
12-08-2013, 11:06 PM

Or when the germans bombed pearl harbor?

Bossman641
12-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Really can't believe this is an article..a GM missed on a 4th round pick? SHOCKING!! And using Jerry Angelo as an example of gauging player interest?? Haha, he was a terrible GM.

pbmax
12-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Wasn't BJ Sanders a fourth rounder? Where was the McGinn article on that one?

Actually, he wrote about that near the end of Sherman's tenure as GM. Its my favorite McGinn hit piece as the personnel department leaked and laid waste to Sherman's reputation as a GM.

The article was about how he would have all the scouts report in during draft prep and then seclude himself from them as he decided what to do based largely on team needs and coach's suggestions (Torrance Marshall). McGinn thought it worked better when Hatley was there to be a bridge between sanity and Col. Kurtz, but it broke down after his death.

Just shows that Bob is all about which side you are rooting for. As a Sherman doubter, I eager to believe that article was revealed truth.

P.S. Was it Bo Pellini who suggested Torrance Marshall? If so much of his coaching career at Nebraska makes a LOT of sense now.

pbmax
12-09-2013, 08:03 AM
LOTS of RATS loved George Iloka and wanted him fwiw when he was passed

That is the interesting piece of this. As a fourth rounder, Iloka is described as makes the plays that come to him. Which is an improvement over our current players who create plays for the opposition from nothing.

But it also suggests why you risk the physical talent of a more unknown player. Go the safe route and get Marquand Manuel. Go the Bethune Cookman route and get an All Pro.

Cleft Crusty
12-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Actually, he wrote about that near the end of Sherman's tenure as GM. Its my favorite McGinn hit piece as the personnel department leaked and laid waste to Sherman's reputation as a GM.

The article was about how he would have all the scouts report in during draft prep and then seclude himself from them as he decided what to do based largely on team needs and coach's suggestions (Torrance Marshall). McGinn thought it worked better when Hatley was there to be a bridge between sanity and Col. Kurtz, but it broke down after his death.

Mark Hatley died in June, 2004, after Sherman's final, disastrous 2004 draft. I have advanced the theory that the results of that draft (possibly observed by Hatley in an early OTA) directly led to Hatley's demise. You could even argue that the Good Lord did Hatley a favor, preventing him from having to observe Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, and Donnell Washington all playing together in Packer uniforms in an NFL game.

pbmax
12-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Mark Hatley died in June, 2004, after Sherman's final, disastrous 2004 draft. I have advanced the theory that the results of that draft (possibly observed by Hatley in an early OTA) directly led to Hatley's demise. You could even argue that the Good Lord did Hatley a favor, preventing him from having to observe Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, and Donnell Washington all playing together in Packer uniforms in an NFL game.

Ah, well then memory does not serve me well here. I thought Hatley was considered the lone voice of reason in McGinn's piece, but perhaps that's too generous a reading. Or at least was never borne out by subsequent events.

Was Hatley brought on pre- or post- Mike McKenzie?

Patler
12-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Yes, but many of the ladder climbers are in admin not the football side, .....

Exactly my point. Do you think they don't hear rumors, stories, gossip?
Do you think they have as much concern about the "secrecy" for football issues as the football folks do?

pbmax
12-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Exactly my point. Do you think they don't hear rumors, stories, gossip?
Do you think they have as much concern about the "secrecy" for football issues as the football folks do?

Certainly and perhaps not. But my reaction to the piece was that it was from the personnel guys, not admin. Story seems too specific and the only admin guy in there is Murphy on draft day. Its not definitive as the source could fill in their own details (or McGinn could) but I would still put odds that it was the football guys sticking up for Ted.

However, your admin source would perfectly explain the overreaction to the "directive" by Ted and Mike to get less injured and tougher. Talking point/goal turned into iron clad dictat.

George Cumby
12-09-2013, 10:09 AM
That is the interesting piece of this. As a fourth rounder, Iloka is described as makes the plays that come to him. Which is an improvement over our current players who create plays for the opposition from nothing.

But it also suggests why you risk the physical talent of a more unknown player. Go the safe route and get Marquand Manuel. Go the Bethune Cookman route and get an All Pro.

Speaking of Manuel, he's on the Seahawks coaching staff now.

Back to the real thread.

Fritz
12-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Wait, wouldn't he be looking down from above and seeing all of them?

Carolina_Packer
12-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Probably not broadcast locally there. Sunday's are probably busy.

Fritz
12-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Now I'm getting really messed up. I thought heaven was watching the Packers all the time, surrounded by a bevy of beautiful women (and Drew Barrymore as the star).

Cleft Crusty
12-09-2013, 12:11 PM

My understanding is that while it's possible to look down, it's not required

Fritz
12-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Wouldn't you be looking down so you could see down Jessica's Simpson's top?

woodbuck27
12-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Jack Cosgrove runs a fine Division 1 FCS program for U Maine up in Orono (though I'll admit I don't follow it extremely closely). They are a perennial power in their league, which they won this year, and had a bye in the first round of the FCS playoffs (they lost to UNH yesterday). Considering how little talent comes out of Maine high schools that can play at that level, they are darned good.
Hockey's actually been down lately, which is why they fired their hockey coach Tim Whitehead last year.

OK then the Black Bears (hockey) are in a bit of a slump.

I'll check out their football program more when I get the time. Lots going on right now. I do have this for the forum;

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/UMaine_football_ranked_4th_nationally_in_its_divis ion_.html?pageType=mobile&id=2

woodbuck27
12-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Or when the germans bombed pearl harbor?

Note to self:

How could anyone mistake a German citizen (generally) for a Japanese citizen? Puzzleing.

Check your American history bobblehead.

Canadians learn American history in Junior High School to help forgo ignorance.

The German Luftwaffe didn't fly zero's nor bomb Pearl Harbour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUTePItIrI

This is a Zero. Recognize it ... watch it closely. Then maybe? Google ..... Pearl Harbour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLqG_uzA6sg

I'm feeling helpful today:

Here'as a German male speaking on a video about the Japanese Zero / Zero pilot. Also look for Der Zerokiller Part's I and II.

Thanks...you've got me into one of my special interests. The history of WAR. Especially the two GREAT WARS WWI and WW II. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEOot4Jt58g

denverYooper
12-09-2013, 02:12 PM
So many ways to go at this, but I'll just say that context is everything.

George Cumby
12-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Woody:

He's referencing the late, great John Belushi's line from Animal House.

It's kind of, like, you know, a joke. You know, funny.

woodbuck27
12-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Woody:

He's referencing the late, great John Belushi's line from Animal House.

It's kind of, like, you know, a joke. You know, funny.

and ...... here I thought I was helping to get him an 'A'. :-o

run pMc
12-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Here's what I think:
The release of McMillian +
Burnett's inconsistent play +
Banjo's presence on the roster +
Richardson getting a lot of snaps his 2nd game back +
Jennings snaps getting cut =

TT knows he has a tire fire at S and will make some changes back there. He might even sign a cheap veteran to add competition in camp!

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Here's what I think:
The release of McMillian +
Burnett's inconsistent play +
Banjo's presence on the roster +
Richardson getting a lot of snaps his 2nd game back +
Jennings snaps getting cut =

TT knows he has a tire fire at S and will make some changes back there. He might even sign a cheap veteran to add competition in camp!

Yes.

When you have a big hole in your back yard that the kids could fall into and get hurt.

You must fill it in.

bobblehead
12-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Note to self:

How could anyone mistake a German citizen (generally) for a Japanese citizen? Puzzleing.

Its a scene from Animal House. You don't stop a man on a roll for a factual mistake. I would have to look back but I believe someone posted that TT drafted Driver or something like that. I was responding tongue in cheek using a popular movie reference.

Edit: Ron Wolf drafted Driver, but the point was that big talent comes from small schools sometimes. My joke was 'he's on a roll, and his basic point is accurate'

And puzzling doesn't have an e

Joemailman
12-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Its a scene from Animal House. You don't stop a man on a roll for a factual mistake. I would have to look back but I believe someone posted that TT drafted Driver or something like that. I was responding tongue in cheek using a popular movie reference.

Edit: Ron Wolf drafted Driver, but the point was that big talent comes from small schools sometimes. My joke was 'he's on a roll, and his basic point is accurate'

I got the joke! :smile:

Should I pursue the "As Director Of Player Personnel TT may have had something to do with the drafting of Driver" angle? Nah.

Bretsky
12-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Chad Jackson!!

This is a fun game..........my turn

JUSTIN HARRELL !!!!

Joemailman
12-10-2013, 09:33 PM

JUSTIN HARRELL !!!!

Odell Thurman!! :razz:

Guiness
12-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Odell Thurman!! :razz:

Rich Campbell? Does that count?

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 10:47 PM

and your zling...ing right.

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 11:54 PM
It's so hard looking at Ted Thompson's Drafts to simply pick out one guy as a bust or near deemed bust. Omitting those already mentioned ie DT Justin Harrell). Also I'll only look at Ted Thompson Drafts from 2005 to 2010.

*** The 2005 Draft and TT has 11 Picks: The Ohh My GOD...I Found a Saviour Draft.

Aaron Rodgers !! Nick Collins... 'a star lost' and Terrence Murphy (a sad misfortune ... see Nick Collins)

11 minus 3 = Nothing much for the Packers future.

*** The 2006 Draft ... TT has 12 Picks: The ... Nice Try TT draft.

AJ Hawk, Greg Jennings and Johnny Jolly were good Picks. Abdul Hodge, Cory Rodgers and Ingle Martin all were certain disappointments.

What's the sense in naming any of the other six.

*** The 2007 Draft and TT gets 11 Picks:

Question: Where do you rank this Ted Thompson Draft?

JH ... ohh Boy!

RB Brandon Jackson and S Aaron Rouse stuck around for awhile. G Allen Barbre ? WR David Clowney = BUST.

Solid Picks: James Jones and Mason Crosby and he was great in our Super Bowl run...Desmond Bishop.

The other four !? Off the top of your head name any of them?

*** The 2008 Draft and TT has 'only' 9 picks...He's slipping on his number of picks....but do you put water in your beer ... wine?

This may arguably be Ted Thompson's best overall draft. What do you thin? Some will now strictly look at TT and his first Packer Draft >>> Aaron Rodgers and how could anyone argue against that? :grin:

Jordy Nelson,; Jermichael Finley; Josh Sitton; and Matt Flynn

BUSTS: BBBBuhhh...Brian Brohm - He's signed with the CFL Hamilton Tiger-Cats or was this year; Pat Lee and Breno Giacomini may all be deemed that?

*** The 2009 Draft - TT has 'only' 8 Picks ... Nice going TT !

How did he do? I like this draft overall in terms of value for the Packer 'D'. An infusion of talent that certainly helped the Packers to another Super Bowl win.

I like CM II and TJ Lang.

Still on the roster Brad Jones and BJ Raji. Neither impresses me although many feel that along with CM II ...Raji and Brad Jones are important to the success of the Packers 3-4 'D'. I wonder if TT will hold onto these two men? Raji feels he's expensive. Raji appears to me to be out of Green Bay for weeks now. I watch his play carefully when I can record games. TT has a tendency to hang onto some too long.

*** The 2010 Draft and TT has 'only 7 Picks' and he does well:

Bryan Bulaga ; Mike Neal ; Morgan Burnett ; Andrew Quarless ; Marshall Newhouse; James Starks and C. J. Wilson are still all on the Roster.

Enough said about that draft....as we need another season to assess it more accurately. Well this...Morgan Burnett seems off of late or since his new contract and OT Marshall Newhouse is slipping badly. James Starks isn't used much at RB. TE Andrew Quarless sees to be picking it up as this season progresses. With Jermichael Finley lost to a severe injury he's gaining valuable playing experience.

GO PACK GO !

Guiness
12-11-2013, 12:09 AM
It's so hard looking at Ted Thompson's Drafts to simply pick out one guy as a bust or near deemed bust. Omitting those already mentioned ie DT Justin Harrell). Also I'll only look at Ted Thompson Drafts from 2005 to 2010.
GO PACK GO !

When looking at the drafts, I'm not sure you can ignore a guy who started 15 games as a rookie, and started 76 games over his 5 years with the Pack --> that's what Daryn Colledge did.

woodbuck27
12-11-2013, 01:26 AM
When looking at the drafts, I'm not sure you can ignore a guy who started 15 games as a rookie, and started 76 games over his 5 years with the Pack --> that's what Daryn Colledge did.

I didn't comment specifically on Daryn Colledge or Jason Spitz... Green Bay Packers (2006−2010) from the 2006 Draft and they are today still playing NFL Vet's.

Jason Spitz was on Seattle's roster this season and with the Jacksonville Jaguars (2011−2012).

Daryn Colledge has been with the Arizona Cardinals (2011–present).

run pMc
12-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Tony Mandarich!
Drafting (or not) players the masses cry out for cuts both ways.

Drafting players with injury issues isn't a new thing:
Mark D'Onofrio was supposed to be pretty good. Don't think he ever played.
IIRC Gary Berry had spinal issues too.

pbmax
12-11-2013, 09:05 AM

JUSTIN HARRELL !!!!

Defensive much? :D

Was not a B slam, just a recall back to the days of disbelief of relative unknown Jennings being Thompson's choice over Chad. I don't think anyone expected that one.

McMillan is a necessary corrective in this regard; even Ted misses on small school guys. There is nothing magical except his willingness to take that risk.

Guiness
12-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Defensive much? :D

Was not a B slam, just a recall back to the days of disbelief of relative unknown Jennings being Thompson's choice over Chad. I don't think anyone expected that one.

McMillan is a necessary corrective in this regard; even Ted misses on small school guys. There is nothing magical except his willingness to take that risk.

Campbell was the other side of that, wasn't he? Big school guy who had success in college?

There's a guy named Rich Campbell who covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune, I wonder if that's him?

Patler
12-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Campbell was the other side of that, wasn't he? Big school guy who had success in college?

There's a guy named Rich Campbell who covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune, I wonder if that's him?

The Packers' Rich Campbell became a minister, and worked at that for quite a while. Then, he left the ministry and went to work for the newspaper in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Might he have gone from there to Chicago?

The guy apparently has a good sense of humor. I read about an interview he did one time where he claimed to be insulted that Packer fans didn't seem to consider him to be a bigger bust than Tony Mandarich.

Guiness
12-11-2013, 01:48 PM
The Packers' Rich Campbell became a minister, and worked at that for quite a while. Then, he left the ministry and went to work for the newspaper in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Might he have gone from there to Chicago?

The guy apparently has a good sense of humor. I read about an interview he did one time where he claimed to be insulted that Packer fans didn't seem to consider him to be a bigger bust than Tony Mandarich.

I remember reading something else from him where he said in retrospect, he's happy he didn't play much. He was talking about McMahon, they played together in high school and were drafted in the first round one year apart. He said he was envious at the time, but now considers himself fortunate to not have played during a time when the league didn't care about head injuries.