PDA

View Full Version : Best waterproofing for leather?

Patler
12-08-2013, 08:46 AM
I know we have a lot of hunters and outdoors men here, so give me your opinions.

I grew up always using mink oil products for waterproofing leather boots/shoes, the leather uppers on sorrels, etc. Now it is difficult to find, and there are many, many other products available.

Anyone use something that they particularly like?

George Cumby
12-09-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm with you, for leather, mink oil, but I've also been pleased with "Snoseal" which is bees wax based.

Patler
12-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm with you, for leather, mink oil, but I've also been pleased with "Snoseal" which is bees wax based.

I just bought a bottle of "Sno-Seal" and used it last night on a pair of work boots. How well does it last?

George Cumby
12-09-2013, 09:57 AM
As I recall, I would reapply a couple, maybe a few times over the winter. But this was on Sorels which I was using on a daily basis in really harsh conditions (northern Wyoming Rocky Mountains)

Freak Out
12-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I have used many products over the years for leather boots...mink oil, many wax sealers etc. The BEST product I have ever used was a whale oil paste I found in our hangar growing up. Obviously not available any more but man this stuff was great.

Cleft Crusty
12-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I just bought a bottle of "Sno-Seal" and used it last night on a pair of work boots. How well does it last?

how hard do you work?

woodbuck27
12-11-2013, 05:59 PM
I know we have a lot of hunters and outdoors men here, so give me your opinions.

I grew up always using mink oil products for waterproofing leather boots/shoes, the leather uppers on sorrels, etc. Now it is difficult to find, and there are many, many other products available.

Anyone use something that they particularly like?

Here you go Patler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAOtSW03Bus

Use a commercial product called A) Sno-seal and if your in the bush and can't get to the mall... use just actual b) shoe/boot polish or a combination of c) Bee's wax and Petroleum Jelly.

This video is instructional/informative.

Patler
12-11-2013, 06:35 PM

how hard do you work?

The boots are darned near worn out!

woodbuck27
12-15-2013, 07:18 AM
The boots are darned near worn out!

Ohh Ohh .... do you have a spare $100 Bucks$?

A wife that loves to shop with you for just the right 'new' pair?

and some Sno-Seal.......

http://www.amazon.com/Sno-Seal-Sno-Seal-7-oz/dp/B005L9EEHU

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DaqcnCoRL.jpg

Stands alone as long as your boots have some tread. :!:

red
12-15-2013, 09:01 AM
i use sno seal too

seems to do the job, of course my boots are gore tex, so that probably helps keep the water out too

Upnorth
12-15-2013, 12:13 PM
If you are not a hard user on your boots use an automotive sealer on them, added bonus if you pre shine them they look pretty for a long long time.
If you are a hard user no matter what you use your going to have to reseal them if it's important. If they are gortex use exactly what the manufacturer recommends or a gortex specific product unless you want to have a pair of formerly gortex boots.

red
12-15-2013, 02:38 PM
If you are not a hard user on your boots use an automotive sealer on them, added bonus if you pre shine them they look pretty for a long long time.
If you are a hard user no matter what you use your going to have to reseal them if it's important. If they are gortex use exactly what the manufacturer recommends or a gortex specific product unless you want to have a pair of formerly gortex boots.

its pretty tough to screw up goretex unless you rip the boot or punch a hole in it

i always thought it was some kind of chemical that the injected into the leather, until i had a piece of gortex in my hand. its like thread tape or plumbers tape if you know what that is. just a real thin layer of the stuff that is put in between layers of leather.

so really if your boots are gortex, all you really need to worry about is keeping that outer layer looking good and prevent it from drying and cracking up

Upnorth
12-15-2013, 04:35 PM
But if you want your gortex to allow moisture to escape it needs the correct treatment. If you don't let them breath your inviting all sorts of fungus in the short term and reducing the lifespan of the boot as well. I have never read this anywhere but when we got gortex boots in the military this is what they said.

red
12-15-2013, 08:24 PM
But if you want your gortex to allow moisture to escape it needs the correct treatment. If you don't let them breath your inviting all sorts of fungus in the short term and reducing the lifespan of the boot as well. I have never read this anywhere but when we got gortex boots in the military this is what they said.

yeah i think your right

gortex is made for moisture to go one way so it does have to breath

we use to reccomend this stuff to people when i use to do some work for this company

http://us.shop.ecco.com/ECCO-Universal-Waterproofer/9033101,default,pd.html?dwvar_9033101_color=00100# cgid=accessories-shoecare

i don't know, i've still used sno seal on my gortex and it hasn't killed them so far, the concrete i got all over them did much more damage though