PDA

View Full Version : Coach McCarthy, what were you thinking?

woodbuck27
12-09-2013, 05:21 PM
http://www.chatsports.com/green-bay-packers/a/Coach-McCarthy-what-were-you-thinking-2-8953971

Coach McCarthy, what were you thinking?

By: Raymond Rivard - Dec 9th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

" The final minute of the first half of play in the Green Bay Packers vs. Atlanta Falcons game on Sunday was one in which all Packers fans turned from hopeful to dismayed (to put it lightly) – it was 60 seconds of pure torture and near disaster."

Please click on the LINK for this interesting story.

PACKERS !

bobblehead
12-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Coaches run these types of plays all the time to end a half. I see nothing to second guess other than the result.

Smeefers
12-09-2013, 07:25 PM
If he hadn't of done something, there would of been fans pissed that he didn't try to do something with the time he had. There would be a different tune sung if Lacy broke a tackle, burst down the sideline and scored. Not likely, but then again, so is a hail mary and sometimes those work.

channtheman
12-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Given the situation that had just occurred (impossible INT for a TD) I was very annoyed we did anything other than take a knee and go to the half.

woodbuck27
12-09-2013, 10:40 PM
If he hadn't of done something, there would of been fans pissed that he didn't try to do something with the time he had. There would be a different tune sung if Lacy broke a tackle, burst down the sideline and scored. Not likely, but then again, so is a hail mary and sometimes those work.

Could you say that to the Packer fans attending the game who were pissed at MM for not calling Matt Flynn for the knee?

That was clearly a stupid call. He had nothing to gain by rushing Eddie Lacy and before it's over what might that cost him? Simply a dumb pointless call by MM and you know that's the TRUTH.

Guiness
12-09-2013, 11:25 PM
That picture of Lacy in the pre-season was maybe not that far off. The dude is not trim!

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/51/files/2013/12/eddie-590x393.jpg

lol, I don't care, but he does have a bit of a pot there.

Joemailman
12-09-2013, 11:38 PM
That picture of Lacy in the pre-season was maybe not that far off. The dude is not trim!

Nah, he's wearing a sleeveless sweatshirt under his jersey to stay warm.

Patler
12-10-2013, 02:25 AM
The Packers had timeouts left. If Lacy broke one of those runs for 20 yards, there was the option of using the timeouts, getting a few more yards and maybe having a shot at a long-range field goal attempt.

You can't play the game scared about injuries.

Patler
12-10-2013, 02:35 AM

and the Packer know it too:

Big picture, Van Pelt is hopeful Lacy can last "a long time." The off-season will be important. It's "like running the triathlon," Van Pelt said.

Anderson puts it in big-back terms.

"Pass this along to Eddie from me — don't get comfortable. Don't relax," Anderson said. "We're big. We are predisposed to gain weight in the off-season on the luxury tour. We have to continue to work.

"That metabolism starts slowing down and we are already big bodies. So you have to work."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/eddie-lacys-size-physical-style-create-long-term-questions-b99157385z1-234702791.html#ixzz2n3j3tPbx
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

Joemailman
12-10-2013, 09:29 AM
The run by Lacy was on 3-10. If Flynn takes a knee, the Falcons can call timeout and force the Packers to punt. I think MM wanted to avoid that and run out the half.

pbmax
12-10-2013, 09:40 AM
The run by Lacy was on 3-10. If Flynn takes a knee, the Falcons can call timeout and force the Packers to punt. I think MM wanted to avoid that and run out the half.

He said he twisted it on 2nd down as well, but not as badly. Probably should have come out, but that is hindsight.

bobblehead
12-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Could you say that to the Packer fans attending the game who were pissed at MM for not calling Matt Flynn for the knee?

That was clearly a stupid call. He had nothing to gain by rushing Eddie Lacy and before it's over what might that cost him? Simply a dumb pointless call by MM and you know that's the TRUTH.

I would say there are no less than 30 stupid coaches who call that exact play regularly.

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 12:05 PM
The Packers had timeouts left. If Lacy broke one of those runs for 20 yards, there was the option of using the timeouts, getting a few more yards and maybe having a shot at a long-range field goal attempt.

Fans react to what they see... not what MM didn't see.

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 12:07 PM
and the Packer know it too:

We all .................... should know that.............but................. :idea:

hoosier
12-10-2013, 12:12 PM

3rd and 10 with 0:04 left in the half, just trying to run out the clock. Probably would have been smarter to put Kuhn in there to do it. Or if you're worried about Kuhn coming off the bench cold and fumbling, have Flynn roll out and throw it away.

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 12:39 PM
3rd and 10 with 0:04 left in the half, just trying to run out the clock. Probably would have been smarter to put Kuhn in there to do it. Or if you're worried about Kuhn coming off the bench cold and fumbling, have Flynn roll out and throw it away.

Just simply STOP pounding your star (featured RB) to death.

Damn MM !!

Patler
12-10-2013, 12:44 PM

What if they run the roll out, Flynn stumbles on a divot and sustains a high ankle sprain?
What if they bring Kuhn in to carry, and SItton missteps and tears his ACL?
Maybe they should have the option of telling the ref, "We quit, cuz we don't want to risk an injury." :?

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 12:49 PM
What if they run the roll out, Flynn stumbles on a divot and sustains a high ankle sprain?
What if they bring Kuhn in to carry, and SItton missteps and tears his ACL?
Maybe they should have the option of telling the ref, "We quit, cuz we don't want to risk an injury." :?

Maybe MM should have decided to simply get out of the half to re-group>>>call 'taking a knee' as most Packer fans with common sense would wish he would do. That game wasn't going to be won on the result of making any call there Patler.

The fans at Lambeau were there to see that call>>the results of that call>> and their reaction was based on the shock value of the results of MM's call.

MM made the wrong call.

run pMc
12-10-2013, 12:51 PM
This.

Although if the intent was to run out the clock, taking a knee would have been smarter IMO.

pbmax
12-10-2013, 01:40 PM
The fans at Lambeau were there to see that call>>the results of that call>> and their reaction was based on the shock value of the results of MM's call.

They were not booing the run call. They were booing a bad performance by the team. They were down 11. If he takes a knee, the booing would have INCREASED.

You have put together two events that are NOT related. How many times have you seen fans boo an injury?

Patler
12-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Maybe MM should have decided to simply get out of the half to re-group>>>call 'taking a knee' as most Packer fans with common sense would wish he would do. That game wasn't going to be won on the result of making any call there Patler.

MM made the wrong call.

I didn't see that the team needed to be regrouped. They had not played poorly. The last TD was a freakish play, that's all.

I don't think the call was big deal one way or the other. Hindsight nitpicking is all that the complaints about it are, in my opinion.

gbgary
12-10-2013, 06:24 PM
i have a bigger problem with him not trying to get a first down on our last possession of the game.

channtheman
12-10-2013, 07:05 PM
I didn't see that the team needed to be regrouped. They had not played poorly. The last TD was a freakish play, that's all.

I don't think the call was big deal one way or the other. Hindsight nitpicking is all that the complaints about it are, in my opinion.

I feel that the freakish play was the exact reason we needed to get to the half! Get to half before we allow the Falcons another TD on ANOTHER freakish play!