PDA

View Full Version : Were the Packers too quick pulling the trigger on Ross?

Patler
12-10-2013, 04:58 AM
I think this could be an interesting discussion:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131209/PKR0101/131209048/Should-Packers-been-more-patient-Jeremy-Ross-

I think, no, they were not too quick.

A former team mate said he is very insecure. Confidence is a real hurdle for him.
GB did show him some confidence, staying with him after several miscues this season.
He had critical mistakes and was costing games.
Sometimes a guy needs a fresh start. I think Ross was one.

Too bad. I had gotten excited about him in 2012. Bigger than you think, strong with good speed.

rdanomly
12-10-2013, 05:46 AM
To me it is another piece of evidence in the long running case for ditching Slocum. Another special teamer that has done well after leaving Green Bay...

Patler
12-10-2013, 06:17 AM
To me it is another piece of evidence in the long running case for ditching Slocum. Another special teamer that has done well after leaving Green Bay...

That, and the fact that a number of return guys have shown ability when first used, then become mundane with more coaching. Clearly the case with Ross, and I think has been with Hyde a bit too. I had the same feeling with Cobb, although I haven't checked the stats to see if they support the feelings I have had watching him. Franklin was reputed to have real ability as a return guy, but really bumbled and bungled his way.

Just a thought with no factual support at all, but could it be that Slocum is to regimented in what he coaches? Too much "if this, than that..." without allowing natural, instinctive runners to act on their instincts?

pittstang5
12-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Is it Ross or is it the blocking. I have no idea, but it's probably a little bit of both. Ross's fumbling didn't help him, but when he had good blocking he was hard to beat.

Bossman641
12-10-2013, 08:27 AM
I think this could be an interesting discussion:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131209/PKR0101/131209048/Should-Packers-been-more-patient-Jeremy-Ross-

I think, no, they were not too quick.

A former team mate said he is very insecure. Confidence is a real hurdle for him.
GB did show him some confidence, staying with him after several miscues this season.

Too bad. I had gotten excited about him in 2012. Bigger than you think, strong with good speed.

Agreed, by the end of his time here you could see he had no confidence and was simply trying to not screw up. The real question is what caused him to lose confidence.

MadScientist
12-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Agreed, by the end of his time here you could see he had no confidence and was simply trying to not screw up. The real question is what caused him to lose confidence.

Probably critical fumbles and bad decisions to bring the ball out of the end zone. He was afraid of screwing up and getting cut because he had screwed up several times and was on the verge of being cut.

pbmax
12-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Is it Ross or is it the blocking. I have no idea, but it's probably a little bit of both. Ross's fumbling didn't help him, but when he had good blocking he was hard to beat.

There is no doubt the Packer blocking wasn't helping, but he looked like a revelation last year before the 49er muff with the same blocking.

Someone yesterday mentioned Trindon Holliday (no idea on spelling) now with the Broncos. Made his previous team look dumb for cutting him until recently when his ball security issues resurfaced.

Ross seemed tentative all preseason and up through the Bengals game. His roster problem was that he didn't have a fit on offense (they clearly preferred Boykin as the 4th WR) and so if he was going to sit as a returner, he as just taking up a spot.

Slocum tries to brainiac his Special Teams, recall his first year when a fellow ST coach said he had never seen some of the schemes Slocum was trying to run and that they did not appear sound. He dialed it back after that year but McCarthy takes that part of the game plan seriously evidenced by his lack of fear in calling onside kicks and fake punts and FGs. Not sure the schematic approach helped Ross or not. He needed a skill coach, which is what I thought Morton was supposed to do.

Fritz
12-10-2013, 09:28 AM

He started reading Packerrats after the San Francisco playoff game last year.

bobblehead
12-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Just wait til week 17 when ross fumbles twice in the redzone and we win the division because of it.

Patler
12-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Just wait til week 17 when ross fumbles twice in the redzone and we win the division because of it.

That's kind of my thinking. He gave no indication of trouble last year until the spotlight was very bright against SF. With the spotlight still bright this year due to added scrutiny because of last year, he looked completely uncomfortable all pre-season, and wouldn't have made the team if anyone had shown any return ability at all. The reinforcement from making the team didn't help his confidence as one would have thought it might. Once he got to Detroit, the pressure was off because he was unknown. But, can you trust him when the lights get bright again? When he eventually makes a mistake, will he crumble?

Cheesehead Craig
12-10-2013, 10:38 AM
There's no pressure on him in Detroit because it's expected that at some point, everyone will screw up. It's like their team motto or something.

Tony Oday
12-10-2013, 10:49 AM
No. He lost games for the Pack.

denverYooper
12-10-2013, 11:03 AM
That's kind of my thinking. He gave no indication of trouble last year until the spotlight was very bright against SF. With the spotlight still bright this year due to added scrutiny because of last year, he looked completely uncomfortable all pre-season, and wouldn't have made the team if anyone had shown any return ability at all. The reinforcement from making the team didn't help his confidence as one would have thought it might. Once he got to Detroit, the pressure was off because he was unknown. But, can you trust him when the lights get bright again? When he eventually makes a mistake, will he crumble?

These are serious considerations for a team like the Packers, who have been in these situations a lot more than the Lions :).

gbgary
12-10-2013, 11:23 AM
in retrospect yes...but he was sucking so no. he'll start sucking for det at some point too.

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 11:27 AM

What is wrong with you here Patler? It's stuff like this that makes me question is there any sense of goodness in Packer fans . I end that sentence with a period and not a question mark.

I don't want to seem overly harsh here ... rather to make this forum pause >>> think.

TT did what he thought he had to do to trim and or strengthen his roster. He cut Jeremy Ross. That's done and he lives with it. Jeremy Ross certainly lived with that disappointment. It seems to be working out for him now in Detroit.

Now you the Packer fan cannot simply watch this young man's efforts in Detroit and enjoy that as a football fan. No ! You've got to analyze and dissect it all and Jeremy Ross to the point of almost indecency. Why not strip him of his clothes too Patler?

It's crap like this that makes me wonder how a Packer fan can really expect his/her team to go far in the NFL. I'm talking karma here. I'm talking a better 'live and let live' adopted attitude. I'm talking the enjoyment overall that any Packer fan can secure by simply loving the game of football and all that encompasses.

We might agree that Jeremy Ross was lacking confidence in Green Bay. We might assess that he was having some difficulty with his coaching? We don't really know it all. Whatever reason we assess for him now being a Detroit Lion? Do we as Packer fans need to riduicule and predict a downfall for this young man? I believe as Packer fans we might adopt a better way. Simply enjoy the same talent that Ted Thompson believed he saw in Jeremy Ross when he was signed to be a Green Bay Packer?

I believe with that as human beings we gain a win-win.

By the way. Jeremy Ross sure looks good as a ST tackler as well as a kick and punt returner. He has talent as a backup WR as well. This young man has definite athleticism and physical talents. That's what Ted Thompson saw once and we can see the same now as his career continues. Enjoy his talents as a purer football fan.

The alternative >>> simply hate >>> and go on being the fans you need to be. After all one's success is often predicated on another's failure.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 11:31 AM
in retrospect yes...but he was sucking so no. he'll start sucking for det at some point too.

Nice.... and your sure of that why?

Fritz
12-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Maybe I can get close enough to him here in Detroit to pretend I'm a Detroit fan and shout out to him, "Hey, Jeremy, big game tonight, huh fella? Good luck! It's a huge game, huge! I think this one's televised nationally, dude."

Patler
12-10-2013, 02:14 PM
What is wrong with you here Patler? It's stuff like this that makes me question is there any sense of goodness in Packer fans . I end that sentence with a period and not a question mark.

I don't want to seem overly harsh here ... rather to make this forum pause >>> think.

TT did what he thought he had to do to trim and or strengthen his roster. He cut Jeremy Ross. That's done and he lives with it. Jeremy Ross certainly lived with that disappointment. It seems to be working out for him now in Detroit.

Now you the Packer fan cannot simply watch this young man's efforts in Detroit and enjoy that as a football fan. No ! You've got to analyze and dissect it all and Jeremy Ross to the point of almost indecency. Why not strip him of his clothes too Patler?

It's crap like this that makes me wonder how a Packer fan can really expect his/her team to go far in the NFL. I'm talking karma here. I'm talking a better 'live and let live' adopted attitude. I'm talking the enjoyment overall that any Packer fan can secure by simply loving the game of football and all that encompasses.

We might agree that Jeremy Ross was lacking confidence in Green Bay. We might assess that he was having some difficulty with his coaching? We don't really know it all. Whatever reason we assess for him now being a Detroit Lion? Do we as Packer fans need to riduicule and predict a downfall for this young man? I believe as Packer fans we might adopt a better way. Simply enjoy the same talent that Ted Thompson believed he saw in Jeremy Ross when he was signed to be a Green Bay Packer?

I believe with that as human beings we gain a win-win.

By the way. Jeremy Ross sure looks good as a ST tackler as well as a kick and punt returner. He has talent as a backup WR as well. This young man has definite athleticism and physical talents. That's what Ted Thompson saw once and we can see the same now as his career continues. Enjoy his talents as a purer football fan.

The alternative >>> simply hate >>> and go on being the fans you need to be. After all one's success is often predicated on another's failure.

GO PACK GO !

You might want to read what I wrote again (and get off your damn high horse :wink:). I made no conclusions about what he will do in the future, I simply relayed the facts of his past and asked questions about what it might mean in the future. It's relevant with respect to the thread topic of the teams rather quick decision to cut him. It's particularly important because the team continues to struggle in the return game, and Ross has gone on to excel in Detroit.

I started the thread because a newspaper article asked the same question as the thread topic. I thought it would be interesting to discuss from the persepective of the team's decision. The most damning substance actually came from a current Packer (I've forgotten which) who was a team mate in college, and flat out said a few weeks ago or so that the guy has confidence issues, and can get very, very down on himself, which then just causes more mistakes. He acknowledged Ross's great skill.

Things went wrong for him in GB. That was clear. When that happens, as I suggested, it is best for the player to get a fresh start somewhere else.

Interesting that knowing Crosby extremely well, they expressed confidence that he would work through his dismal time last year and emerge the better for it. Knowing Ross almost a year, they did not have the same confidence, but released him rather quickly.

The thread is as much or more about TT's decision as it is about Ross. I certainly do not wish the man ill. But I also do not agonize over his departure for the reasons I wrote.

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 04:27 PM
You might want to read what I wrote again (and get off your damn high horse :wink:). I made no conclusions about what he will do in the future, I simply relayed the facts of his past and asked questions about what it might mean in the future. It's relevant with respect to the thread topic of the teams rather quick decision to cut him. It's particularly important because the team continues to struggle in the return game, and Ross has gone on to excel in Detroit.

I started the thread because a newspaper article asked the same question as the thread topic. I thought it would be interesting to discuss from the persepective of the team's decision. The most damning substance actually came from a current Packer (I've forgotten which) who was a team mate in college, and flat out said a few weeks ago or so that the guy has confidence issues, and can get very, very down on himself, which then just causes more mistakes. He acknowledged Ross's great skill.

Things went wrong for him in GB. That was clear. When that happens, as I suggested, it is best for the player to get a fresh start somewhere else.

Interesting that knowing Crosby extremely well, they expressed confidence that he would work through his dismal time last year and emerge the better for it. Knowing Ross almost a year, they did not have the same confidence, but released him rather quickly.

The thread is as much or more about TT's decision as it is about Ross. I certainly do not wish the man ill. But I also do not agonize over his departure for the reasons I wrote.

As I"ve posted in the past. Sometimes I get the wrong read on you. For which I now offer you an apology.

I'm not on any high horse Patler :wink: right back to you packer fan. I just see things differently than you maybe? So get off with the condensation and debate with some better sense of class. I expect more (a lot) from you. :no:

Now I can begin.

Patler: I actually heard this on NFL.Com:

That the Lions smartly signed Jeremy Ross off of the Packers PS.... but isn't that an error?

If not or the Lions did sign Ross off our PS the sting can come out of this discussion and we can all moreso feel as I do and 'good luck to Jeremy Ross'.

Did TT actually release Jeremy Ross on Sept. 23, 2013 as reported in the Green Bay Packer transaction report?

I have to help with supper now and will return to repost the rest of above.

Peace Patler.

Patler
12-10-2013, 04:57 PM
As I"ve posted in the past. Sometimes I get the wrong read on you. For which I now offer you an apology.

I'm not on any high horse Patler :wink: right back to you packer fan. I just see things differently than you maybe? So get off with the condensation and debate with some better sense of class. I expect more (a lot) from you. :no:

Now I can begin.

Patler: I actually heard this on NFL.Com:

That the Lions smartly signed Jeremy Ross off of the Packers PS.... but isn't that an error?

If not or the Lions did sign Ross off our PS the sting can come out of this discussion and we can all moreso feel as I do and 'good luck to Jeremy Ross'.

Did TT actually release Jeremy Ross on Sept. 23, 2013 as reported in the Green Bay Packer transaction report?

I have to help with supper now and will return to repost the rest of above.

Peace Patler.

Just teasing you about the high horse, Woodbuck (note the little winking face after it). Don't take everything I write too seriously.

The Lions signed had signed Ross to their practice squad before signing him to their regular roster. He wasn't on their PS very long.

Noodle
12-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Good thread, Patler. I heard some Wisconsin radio guys who cover the team talking about this. They were outraged that national media were saying that the Pack must be kicking themselves for releasing the kid. Their point was the same one being made here -- the poor kid's head was obliterated while in GB, not because of bad coaching, but because of some bad performances. There really didn't seem a way for him to get out of his own self-made doghouse, and it's just hindsight to say the Pack should have kept him.

Don't get me wrong. Slocum should get the can for consistently fielding pathetic coverage and return teams. But I don't blame the guy a bit for letting Ross go.

MadtownPacker
12-10-2013, 05:35 PM

He started reading Packerrats after the San Francisco playoff game last year.

Probably critical fumbles and bad decisions to bring the ball out of the end zone. He was afraid of screwing up and getting cut because he had screwed up several times and was on the verge of being cut.

These mangringos have said it all. Fuck ross and the lions, he is just like them, a fuck up waiting to happen when expectations are at their highest.

MadtownPacker
12-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Nice.... and your sure of that why?
Because that's his fucking opinion, he had his own thought and doesn't bend over cuz some shit article you posted says differently. Oh maybe the history of big game turnovers by ross helped him form that opinion too.

KYPack
12-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Ross's own doctor probably would have advised him to get outta Dodge after that Bengal game.

The kid was so screwed up mentally, he couldn't do shit.

Ya know, he was a halfway decent position player, too. He made a good little catch and ran to the sticks for a first in that game. That play was sandwiched in btw those fugly fumbles.

It is kinda crazy that he doesn't feel pressure and play even worse for the Lions.

I wonder if it was a coach or the situation that untangled the kid's mind.

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Just teasing you about the high horse, Woodbuck (note the little winking face after it). Don't take everything I write too seriously.

The Lions signed had signed Ross to their practice squad before signing him to their regular roster. He wasn't on their PS very long.

I'm just checking all out on Jeremy Ross now.

It seems to be right here:

1:00 PM ET, Sunday September 22, 2013 @ Paul Brown Stadium, Cincinnati, OH

The Green Bay Packers are defeated by the Cincinnati Bengals by a score of 34-30.

FIRST QUARTER OF GAME:

TOUCHDOWN ... 09:20 Giovani Bernard 3 Yd Run (Mike Nugent Kick) 0 7

Score: Bengals 7 - Packers 0

M.Nugent kicks 57 yards from CIN 35 to GB 8. J.Ross MUFFS catch, RECOVERED by CIN-T.Mays at GB 2. T.Mays to GB 2 for no gain (J.Franklin).

TOUCHDOWN 09:08 BenJarvus Green-Ellis 2 Yd Run (Mike Nugent Kick) 0 14

Green Bay Fumbles...FUM...LOST...REC

J. Ross.................... 1....... 1....... 0
J. Franklin............... 1....... 1....... 0
B. Jones.................. 0....... 0....... 1
A. Hawk.................. 0....... 0....... 1
M. Jennings............. 0....... 0....... 1

The day after this loss to Cincinnati or Monday Sept. 23, 2013, Jeremy Ross was released by the Green Bay Packers. Jeremy Ross was a FA.

WR Jeremy Ross, who played in eight regular-season games for the Packers over the past two seasons:

**averaged 17.9 yards on nine kickoff returns.

** In 2012 he avg. 28.7 yards on 3 kicks with a long of 44 yards.,

** He averaged an impressive20.5 yds on six punt returns including 4 returns in 2012 with a 25.8 yard avg. and a long of 58 yards.

** In a limited role as a WR Jeremy Ross made one catch for 8 yards.

Jeremy Ross committed a crucial fumble on a punt return in a playoff-game loss to the 49ers on January 12, 2013. That mistake led to a San Francisco touchdown and momentum was taken from the Green Bay Packers.

Prior to his time in Green Bay, he was signed by the New England Patriots (2011) as an undrafted free agent. He was also with the Indianapolis Colts. He played college football at California.

So there's some raw data on Jeremy Ross..... stay tuned.

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Because that's his fucking opinion, he had his own thought and doesn't bend over cuz some shit article you posted says differently. Oh maybe the history of big game turnovers by ross helped him form that opinion too.

Mad aren't we now examining this matter of Jeremy Ross and his release? What's a forum for if not for such examination and more of course ? Are we all simply here to slap one another on the back and always blindly agree on all things? I believe that in a forum the members discuss all matters/manners of issues and topics to try to reach some conclusion. To realize a TRUTH.

Am I wrong here Mad?

If it's more than that please inform me Mad. How would you like your forum to work/ to achieve? How can I help you achieve your goals here?

You seem to relish airing things out in public so... OK.

What's with the reference to bending over? Me bend over !? I don't think so man. I've never bent over for any person in my lifetime Mad. I won't start to do that at this time in my life.

What is this 'shit article' that you claim I posted and makes any reference to Jeremy Ross and anything connected to the Green Bay Packers? Anything related to his association with any team but the Detroit Lions? Anything that makes any reference to (even a maybe?) the Green Bay Packers made an error releasing Jeremy Ross?

Please post the LINK for that article. I don't recall posting such an article on Packerrats Mad. If I did enlighten me please. I post a lot here and maybe simply have forgotten.

Mad. Do you post for others here now...have some proxy from gbgary? I posted gbgary that question not you.

Thanks and have a lovely day/evening :-D

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 10:12 PM

Patler I was absent really from anything NFL and Packers until really Nov. '13. I'm still trying to catch up on a lot.

I'm examing this question of Jeremy Ross and football player prior to his time in Green Bay and why he was released as best I can.

I asked this question somewhere on a thread in the past. Because of this thread I believe we'll have a much more comprehensive response to why? Jeremy Ross came to become a Detroit Lion.

I'm glad your like me and don't wish bad will on Jeremy Ross.

Later.

woodbuck27
12-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Comment woodbuck27:

I'm going to post this article here because it's appropriate on this thread:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/4734/starter-pack-why-crosby-but-not-ross

Starter Pack: Why (Edit: Mason) Crosby, but not ( Edit: Jeremy) Ross?

Dec. 10, 2013 ... 8:00 AM ET

By: Rob Demovsky | ESPN.com

Patler
12-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Comment woodbuck27:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/4734/starter-pack-why-crosby-but-not-ross

The article doesn't really portray Ross' performance this year in GB. It wasn't just the one muff this season that got him cut. He looked hesitant and unsure during preseason and the regular season games. In addition to the muff and turnover, he had a kickoff return in an earlier game where he hesitated in the endzone, came out late and was tackled inside the 10 yard line. I think he mishandled a couple that went as touchbacks.

His preseason was bad enough that it didn't look like he would make the team, but others including Franklin were even worse as return men. Then, as I recall, Ross had a decent return and a very productive final preseason game as a WR, and made the final 53, but it was almost a surprise at that point.

Last year when Crosby was struggling, all of the coaches talked about how mentally strong Crosby was, that he maintained a strong positive approach even when things went bad. If they had felt the same about Ross, I suspect they would have stuck with him longer. They stuck with Finley and Jones in spite of bad years for drops, Newhouse for two years while he had his problems and with others who never did come around. Ross and McMillian did not get the same latitude to make mistakes.

woodbuck27
12-11-2013, 12:39 AM
These mangringos have said it all. Fuck ross and the lions, he is just like them, a fuck up waiting to happen when expectations are at their highest.

Really Mad ... check this:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=330922004

This was a strange game RE: Fumbles. The Packers committed 2 fumbles or one each by Jeremy Ross and Johnathan Franklin that both led to Bengal TD's. The Bengals had five different players fumble once. Seven is the number or total of the fumbles in that game; but somehow Jeremy Ross's muff stood out to the Green Bay Packers!??

Ted Thompson awoke the next day and knew he just had to toss Jeremy Ross. I just don't get that... Mad? Anyone??

Examining it closer:

The Green Bay Packers led that game by a score of 30-14 with 5:30 remaining in the 3rd Quarter.

a) Was Jeremy Ross then so obvious in contributing to that loss because he muffed one in the first quarter?

b) What happened that allowed the Cincinnati Bengals to score '21' unanswered points and pull out that win?

c) What happened that set up the Bengals early 4th Qtr. TD? To close the score to Packers 30 - Bengals 27.

d) What happened that set up the Bengals possession that ended in a TD; giving them the lead they never surrended at Bengals 34 - Packers 27?

Do you recall this happening early in the 4th Qtr? Here it is, specifically:

REF: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=330922004&period=4

4th Quarter Play by Play

Green Bay Packers at 0:27 The Packers began an offensive series that led to this result:

" 1st and 10 at CIN 27 (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass deep right intended for R.Cobb INTERCEPTED by L.Hall at CIN 5. L.Hall to CIN 5 for no gain (R.Cobb)."

The SCORE was then:

Packers 30 - Bengals 21

So what resulted next:

The next Cincy Possession ended thus:

1st and 10 at GB 11 (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass short left to M.Jones for 11 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 30 27

M.Nugent's extra point attempt was Blocked by D.Jones,

SCORE: PACKERS 30 - Bengals 27

and get this:

" M.Nugent kicks 65 yards from CIN 35 to GB 0. Jeremy Ross to GB 21 for 21 yards " Question:

.... Was that bad?

There were many reasons that led to that Packer defeat in Cincy on that day and IMO the blame shouldn't have been cast on Jeremy Ross.

That was... his second fumble as a Packer in four games. RB Johnathan Franklin fumbled and lost the ball to the Bengals and that led to a TD at a crucial stage in the game or late in the 4th Qtr. If you saw it... it's not likely you might easily erase it from your grey matter:

" 4th and 1 at CIN 30 J.Franklin right guard to CIN 30 for no gain (M.Johnson). FUMBLES (M.Johnson), RECOVERED by CIN-R.Nelson at CIN 29. R.Nelson to CIN 35 for 6 yards (A.Quarless). FUMBLES (A.Quarless), recovered by CIN-T.Newman at CIN 42. T.Newman for 58 yards, " TOUCHDOWN.

Now that was a bad mistake and lead to this result against the Green Bay Packers. Bengals 34 - Packers 30 with 3:47 remaining in regulation.

Did the Packers recover... NO !

No ... it was football. In this wild season in the NFL, so many weird to awful things have taken place.

Should Jeremy Ross have been made a scapegoat in any way after this game?

In my most honest opinion... NO way... Hose.

GO PACK GO !

Patler
12-11-2013, 07:07 AM
There were many reasons that led to that Packer defeat in Cincy on that day and IMO the blame shouldn't have been cast on Jeremy Ross.

Should Jeremy Ross have been made a scapegoat in any way after this game?

In my most honest opinion... NO way... Hose.

GO PACK GO !

Woodbuck;
Ross wasn't released because of his performance in that game only. As I mentioned, during pre-season they did everything they could to find someone other than him for the return positions, because he did not play that well. He was shaky in the two regular season games before the Bengals game. That miscue was sort of the last straw.

He mishandled punts and kickoffs even when he didn't have turnovers. As a result, the Packers were often using Cobb for punt returns. That signaled to me that Ross was on thin ice, because the entire reason for having Ross was to keep Cobb from having to be the return guy.

Against SF he took a kickoff out of the endzone and was tackled at the 8 yard line. Overall he was getting only 10-15 yards on kickoff returns, and game announcers commented on his poor performances, mostly because he just looked hesitant and unsure.

Patler
12-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Woodbuck;

These threads will give you the flavor of how Ross had been doing for the Packers even before the Bengal game:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25914-Ross-is-released

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25874-Studs-and-Duds-Week-2-vs-Washington

http://packerrats.com/poll.php?pollid=1063&do=showresults

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25913-The-VERY-Stinky-Pinky

KYPack
12-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Ross was snakebit when he got cut from GB, Woody. If he tried to eat a bwl of soup, he wudda dropped the spoon.

He played his way off the Packers, nobody could trust a return with him back there. that's why they went to a guy like Hyde back there, the sure hands.

Ross was not mechanically sound in returning punts. He was stomping after the kicks and then lunging and reaching when he fielded them. You can't keep playing a guy who won't learn the return skills.

denverYooper
12-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Comment woodbuck27:

The article elides several details, like the restructuring of Crosby's contract and the fact that they brought other kickers in to compete with him. So it's not as though they gave Crosby a pass. The more I hear about Ross, the more it sounds like he might have been turning into a basket case in Green Bay.

And I think he punched a coach or something.

run pMc
12-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Ross has rare talent with the ball in his hands. Everyone knows that.
Trouble is, he had developed a fumbling problem, which makes him a coach-killer. If you're Slocum or M3, you can't keep him if you want to keep drawing a paycheck.

Yes, I know we've had players like Ahman Green who used to fumble and then "get it fixed", but Ahman got more touches in a game than Ross did all season.

What's are the first three qualities you think of when you think of a good PR/KR? I think sure hands, good judgement, and fearlessness. (Being quick and fast helps too...)
Ross didn't have trustworthy hands, and you can't have a guy like that catching punts. Especially when roster spots are so coveted.

pbmax
12-11-2013, 09:02 AM
The ESPN piece also does not give Crosby's previous production much credit for the difference. Crosby had several years before the bottom fell out that he was everything McCarthy wanted in a kicker. He could kick directionally on KOs, supremely well executed onside kicks (including inventing one specialty double bounce of his own), very good accuracy under 40 yards, etc.

Prior to the catastrophe, his only weakness seemed to be mid-long distance right hash and average performance on 50+ yard FGs.

Ross had no such resume.

KYPack
12-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Trouble is, he had developed a fumbling problem, which makes him a coach-killer. If you're Slocum or M3, you can't keep him if you want to keep drawing a paycheck.

Yes, I know we've had players like Ahman Green who used to fumble and then "get it fixed", but Ahman got more touches in a game than Ross did all season.

What's are the first three qualities you think of when you think of a good PR/KR? I think sure hands, good judgement, and fearlessness. (Being quick and fast helps too...)
Ross didn't have trustworthy hands, and you can't have a guy like that catching punts. Especially when roster spots are so coveted.

Ross has good hands, he's a wr. His problem in fielding punts cleanly was in his mechanics. A punt returner has to use a different running style when getting to the catch point. The returner has to glide to the catch point. By gliding, I mean he has to run on the balls of his feet to avoid jarring his eyes with his running style. That will cause you to lose your bead on the ball. Once you get to the catch point, set both your feet under you and catch the ball in your hands. Do not let the ball come into your body. You also should have both elbows under your hands to form a "bottom" on the ball. Keeping your elbows in makes a natural cradle in case you are gonna take a lick. Gather the ball in and do not lunge after it. Lunging will extend your hands and you are far more likely to muff the catch.

Once ya catch it, run like ya run, get your return yards.

Ross at Detroit has been fundamentally sound. Here, he was a stomper and a lunger and it cost him his job.

woodbuck27
12-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Woodbuck;
Ross wasn't released because of his performance in that game only. As I mentioned, during pre-season they did everything they could to find someone other than him for the return positions, because he did not play that well. He was shaky in the two regular season games before the Bengals game. That miscue was sort of the last straw.

He mishandled punts and kickoffs even when he didn't have turnovers. As a result, the Packers were often using Cobb for punt returns. That signaled to me that Ross was on thin ice, because the entire reason for having Ross was to keep Cobb from having to be the return guy.

Against SF he took a kickoff out of the endzone and was tackled at the 8 yard line. Overall he was getting only 10-15 yards on kickoff returns, and game announcers commented on his poor performances, mostly because he just looked hesitant and unsure.

OK Patler...I wasn't where I could see that game nor have use of a puter. It wasn't till NOV. '13...that I was able to try and catch up on all things Packers since TC.

Thanks.

woodbuck27
12-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Woodbuck;

These threads will give you the flavor of how Ross had been doing for the Packers even before the Bengal game:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25914-Ross-is-released

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25874-Studs-and-Duds-Week-2-vs-Washington

http://packerrats.com/poll.php?pollid=1063&do=showresults

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25913-The-VERY-Stinky-Pinky
Thanks ..I'll study the LINKS later today Patler... Mae and I have a Seniors Lunch to attend. Lots of snow in the driveway to remove.

Too much time before the :flm: or Spring again. Winter...not my favourite season.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
12-11-2013, 09:46 AM
The article elides several details, like the restructuring of Crosby's contract and the fact that they brought other kickers in to compete with him. So it's not as though they gave Crosby a pass. The more I hear about Ross, the more it sounds like he might have been turning into a basket case in Green Bay.

And I think he punched a coach or something.

Punched a coach or a couch? :-?

woodbuck27
12-11-2013, 09:48 AM

Well stated...good points.

Nice post.

Repped.

woodbuck27
12-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Ross has good hands, he's a wr. His problem in fielding punts cleanly was in his mechanics. A punt returner has to use a different running style when getting to the catch point. The returner has to glide to the catch point. By gliding, I mean he has to run on the balls of his feet to avoid jarring his eyes with his running style. That will cause you to lose your bead on the ball. Once you get to the catch point, set both your feet under you and catch the ball in your hands. Do not let the ball come into your body. You also should have both elbows under your hands to form a "bottom" on the ball. Keeping your elbows in makes a natural cradle in case you are gonna take a lick. Gather the ball in and do not lunge after it. Lunging will extend your hands and you are far more likely to muff the catch.

Ross at Detroit has been fundamentally sound. Here, he was a stomper and a lunger and it cost him his job.

It seems that the Lions ST Co-ordinator...John Bonamego has straightened him out. It's all going well for Jeremy Ross now:

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/coordinator-cut-up/article-1/COORDINATOR-CUT-UP-Jeremy-Ross-season-of-redemption-continues/715aff21-2b86-4626-b2b6-a627bcd5ea9b

COORDINATOR CUT-UP: Jeremy Ross' season of redemption continues

Posted Dec 10, 2013

BY: Tim Twentyman ... Senior Writer ... LIONS

" .."One of the first things I said to him when he walked in the door was, 'One man's trash is another man's treasure,'" special teams coordinator John Bonamego told detroitlions.com. ...." FR. LINK

Click on LINK if you want to read the whole article.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
12-11-2013, 09:58 AM
The ESPN piece also does not give Crosby's previous production much credit for the difference. Crosby had several years before the bottom fell out that he was everything McCarthy wanted in a kicker. He could kick directionally on KOs, supremely well executed onside kicks (including inventing one specialty double bounce of his own), very good accuracy under 40 yards, etc.

Prior to the catastrophe, his only weakness seemed to be mid-long distance right hash and average performance on 50+ yard FGs.

Ross had no such resume.

Yes.

Patler
12-11-2013, 10:03 AM
It seems that the Lions ST Co-ordinator...John Bonamego has straightened him out. It's all going well for Jeremy Ross now:

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/coordinator-cut-up/article-1/COORDINATOR-CUT-UP-Jeremy-Ross-season-of-redemption-continues/715aff21-2b86-4626-b2b6-a627bcd5ea9b

COORDINATOR CUT-UP: Jeremy Ross' season of redemption continues

Posted Dec 10, 2013

BY: Tim Twentyman ... Senior Writer ... LIONS

" .."One of the first things I said to him when he walked in the door was, 'One man's trash is another man's treasure,'" special teams coordinator John Bonamego told detroitlions.com. ...." FR. LINK

Click on LINK if you want to read the whole article.

GO PACK GO !

I didn't realize Bonamego was in Detroit. He was the Packers ST coordinator for something like 3 years under Sherman, and has a reputation of being very good at it.

pbmax
12-11-2013, 10:11 AM
I didn't realize Bonamego was in Detroit. He was the Packers ST coordinator for something like 3 years under Sherman, and has a reputation of being very good at it.

His time here was a disappointment. His units weren't a tire fire but the improvement wasn't dramatic at all.

Has to be viewed as a condemnation of the personnel at the time.

Patler
12-11-2013, 10:28 AM
His time here was a disappointment. His units weren't a tire fire but the improvement wasn't dramatic at all.

Has to be viewed as a condemnation of the personnel at the time.

Considering that Antonio Chattman was his return guy, he probably did about as good as can be expected in the return game. Chattman wasn't what you would call "aggressive" , but was sure-handed, as I recall.

Guiness
12-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Considering that Antonio Chattman was his return guy, he probably did about as good as can be expected in the return game. Chattman wasn't what you would call "aggressive" , but was sure-handed, as I recall.

It's cuz he caught with his elbows under his hands :x

seriously, thanks for that little writeup KY. Good stuff.

run pMc
12-11-2013, 01:45 PM
It's cuz he caught with his elbows under his hands :x

seriously, thanks for that little writeup KY. Good stuff.

Agree -- thanks for the writeup!
I would be shocked if Slocum didn't try to teach Ross fundamentals/mechanics. Really, Ross should have been taught them before going pro...but for all the talk about coaches being good teachers and focusing on fundamentals, this suggests something wrong with Slocum's coaching. Either that, or Ross figured DET was his last shot in the league and started to really focus on fundamentals.

If you go back to last year, Ross was involved in a lot of ST turnovers, and those are killers because you give up the ball AND field position.

bobblehead
12-11-2013, 01:59 PM

Good point about not jarring your eyes. Watch a good centerfielder chasing a flyball and notice how his head doesn't move.

woodbuck27
12-11-2013, 03:09 PM

Patler:

You got that...and John Bonamego formerly employed with the Packers under Mike Sherman.

I'm as usual...impressed.

John Bonamego:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bonamego

Could we possibly make some connection and that fact that both Bonemego and Jeremy Ross now in Detroit? The forum is here to examine that question and more. We have the membership strength to do so; the technology available for such analysis. Any emotional factor is thereby possibly negated and the speculative stuff can be ignored in terms of attempting to get it right ...now.

A discussion of why? not Green Bay and Jeremy Ross in Detroit is interesting but from such, the focus might shift as I intend to demonstrate in this post.

Here goes:

John Bonemego was with the Green Bay Packers as Special Teams Coordinator (2003–2005). He went out of Green Bay with the Mike Sherman wash. Before he landed in Detroit he bounced around the NFL with stops as ST's Coordinator ...see the LINK above for details.

How is John Bonemego's effort rated on a statistical basis in Green Bay after Green Bay to now with the Detroit Lions:

Green Bay (2003-2005) and Bonemego as ST's Coordinator:

2003 Ranking = 13th Ranked in the NFL (Typ.) ; 2004 = 14th Ranked and 2005 = 30th Ranked. Remember that season?

How did John Bonemego do as a ST coach after that?

2006 = 14th and 2007 = 25th with NO.

2008 = 29th; 2009 = 9th but 2010 = back down to 29th. all with Miami

2011 in a reduced role as an assistant ST's Coach = their ST's was 11th ranked.

2012 = 25th in Jacksonville as the ST's Coordinator

2013 to week 14 ...the 16th ranked NFL team and incidentally the Green Bay Packers ST's is currently ranked 21st in the NFL.

In 2012 the Detroit Lions ST's effort were ranked way down there at # 30. The Green Bay Packers in 2012 @ 18th so the team has slipped 3 slots in terms of it's ST NFL Ranking. We're seeing what's too obvious. Remarkably we see that decline in ST's results this season inspite of improvement of the first order in Mason Crosby's performance kicking FG's where he is near to/or setting a record number in terms of his FG %.

Why we have seen the Green Bay Packers slip in terms of ST's demands further analysis.

Shawn Slocum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Slocum

Have a look at his history prior to becoming a part of the Green Bay Packer Team as a Coach...ST's. Do you see anything there in terms of why he might have been hired? Why he remains a Green Bay Packer ST coach inspite of a less than steller body of work since coming to Green Bay.

Green Bay Packers:

On February 6, 2006, S. Slocum joined the Green Bay Packers, as the Assist. ST coach and promoted to ST's Coordinator on January 14, 2009

Packers ST's Ranking with Shawn Slocum:

2009 = 32nd LAST in the NFL; >>> 2010 = 26th ...

>>> 2011 = 8th; 2012 <<< 18th; and again and maybe? finally ...

2013 <<< 21st or regressing from the 2012 Season.

Back to individual performances and Micah Hyde Vs Jeremy Ross.

Study the Green Bay Packers performance for punt and kick returns for this season? Compare that to the 2012 and 2011 seasons.

Ross looks like the better choice athletically except for those 2 muffs in a four game span. Muff's that set off a Red Alert Alarm. It's said that ... muffs are a HC killer. How long does a HC stick with any -player that fumbles? Not long for any smart NFL coach. Do that to Bill Bilichick and see an instant Dog House.

What else was going on before Sept. 23, 2013?

The Green Bay Packers has a losing record after three games into the schedule and an early Bye.

To start a season at 1 Win (Washington) - 2 Loss's (San Fran and Cincy) may have to be addressed somehow and especially when you must take time off or run that record into an early Bye Week. The NFL Week 4 for the Packers .... a Bye.

Maybe you want any nagging doubts over a certain roster player to be removed befopre returning from that bye because the schedule ahead is really long in terms of another real rest; another real time to heal? The best way for that and to also kill two birds with one stone... just maybe? ... send some message to the team as a whole...dump someone.

Did we see a similar tactic after the embarrassing loss to the Detroit Lions? See Jeremy Ross's and Jerron McMillian's departures from the team.

This is where discussion arrives even more questions. Questions that may be more valuable to us the Packer fans in response to a question that's not as relevant to the future of the team we love.

GO PACK GO !

KYPack
12-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Good point about not jarring your eyes. Watch a good centerfielder chasing a flyball and notice how his head doesn't move.

Run, I'm sure Ross knew his fundamentals in GB. He just wasn't always applying 'em in games and getting burned. What he learned here was if you ain't assignment sure, the team will go find somebody who is.

Bobble, there are a lot of things involved in returning punts. I'll never forget a trick an old coach taught me. Once you have gotten in position with your feet set, you imagine you are trying to catch a bag of oranges that somebody threw you from a second story window. Keep your elbows in place so you don't drop any fruit!

MadtownPacker
12-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Mad aren't we now examining this matter of Jeremy Ross and his release? What's a forum for if not for such examination and more of course ? Are we all simply here to slap one another on the back and always blindly agree on all things? I believe that in a forum the members discuss all matters/manners of issues and topics to try to reach some conclusion. To realize a TRUTH.

Am I wrong here Mad?

If it's more than that please inform me Mad. How would you like your forum to work/ to achieve? How can I help you achieve your goals here?

You seem to relish airing things out in public so... OK.

What's with the reference to bending over? Me bend over !? I don't think so man. I've never bent over for any person in my lifetime Mad. I won't start to do that at this time in my life.

What is this 'shit article' that you claim I posted and makes any reference to Jeremy Ross and anything connected to the Green Bay Packers? Anything related to his association with any team but the Detroit Lions? Anything that makes any reference to (even a maybe?) the Green Bay Packers made an error releasing Jeremy Ross?

Please post the LINK for that article. I don't recall posting such an article on Packerrats Mad. If I did enlighten me please. I post a lot here and maybe simply have forgotten.

Mad. Do you post for others here now...have some proxy from gbgary? I posted gbgary that question not you.

Thanks and have a lovely day/evening :-D
Did you really need such a long post to spew this vile? Correct we are here to discuss, but save your bullshit about calling you out because unless I'm mistaken you are questioning Gary for a source so YOU are saying HIS word carries no value unless he provides a LINK. As for proxy I speak for myself and no one else. If you don't like me airing what I say then don't post something I don't like. Unless you expect me to bend over or slap you on the back always? Maybe I will provide you a solution. Bend you over and slap you in the back? :lol:

denverYooper
12-11-2013, 08:05 PM

Ross had no such resume.
Packerpedia ‏@Packerpedia 4m

Mason Crosby's 880 career points to date are the most by any player in league history in his first seven seasons.

woodbuck27
12-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Did you really need such a long post to spew this vile? Correct we are here to discuss, but save your bullshit about calling you out because unless I'm mistaken you are questioning Gary for a source so YOU are saying HIS word carries no value unless he provides a LINK. As for proxy I speak for myself and no one else. If you don't like me airing what I say then don't post something I don't like. Unless you expect me to bend over or slap you on the back always? Maybe I will provide you a solution. Bend you over and slap you in the back? :lol:

I'll try to help you understand this Mad:

** Did you really need such a long post to spew this vile? Mad

My response: I don't spew vile and I post to at least try to back myself up. Anything else to me may be deemed nonsense or useless. That's just me... my way or position. To each his own, Mad.

** Correct we are here to discuss, Mad

My response: Thanks as always.

but save your bullshit about calling you out because unless I'm mistaken you are questioning Gary for a source so YOU are saying HIS word carries no value unless he provides a LINK. Mad

Here's gbgary's post:

in retrospect yes...but he was sucking so no. he'll start sucking for det at some point too. gbgary

My response to that was:

Nice.... and your sure of that why? woodbuck27

There's nothing covert in my response to gbgary's post. I simply request that gbgary backs himself up. ie Why was he sure that whatever he was condemned for in Green Bay would continue in Detroit?

My Response: Expecting a LINK !? No Mad. I'd be surprized if there's a LINK anywhere on the internet to an article or story to support gbgary's post in terms of it's candor. Candor that I felt was unfair and demonstrated verascity towords a man I doubt he's ever met. A man who no one he knows well has ever met.

As for proxy I speak for myself and no one else. If you don't like me airing what I say then don't post something I don't like. Mad

My response: Post what you like me to post? I try to post with some sense of dignity Mad. If I fail in that regard... as in misunderstanding a member. I generally offer an amend. I don't post to please anyone here Mad. I post here to offer information and learn.

Unless you expect me to bend over or slap you on the back always? Maybe I will provide you a solution. Bend you over and slap you in the back? Mad

My Response: I have never offered anything in my life and expected a slap on the back. I provide my own rewards. :grin:

I hope this response assists your understanding of my position and gbgary's post. Later...and have a lovely day/evening Mad.

GO PACK GO !

CaptainKickass
12-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Yes.

As in yes, the Packers pulled the trigger and fired Ross too early.

Bretsky
12-11-2013, 10:23 PM

Honestly....I never got why he was fired. He was very well thought of as a ST coach for the Jags and he was the only ST coach I ever liked besides Nolan Cromwell
Then they hired a piece of junk, fired him, and promoted the piece of junk's assistant....aka.....Slocum

woodbuck27
12-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Yes.

As in yes, the Packers pulled the trigger and fired Ross too early.

Aaron Rodgers on Jeremy Ross:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taMwKsjNmyE

I look at Video like this and say to myself ..What!? This guy was a Green Bay Packer. He was let go for what!? Ohh he muffed a couple of kicks that allowed points to be scored and did that in four consecutive games over a 9 month period across two seasons. Ohh what!? That shattered his psyche. You read the psychiatric report?

Ohh Dear.... that's so sad because looking at it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhCLJGTGoDc

I look at his Stat's and take away the fumbles see so much:

Jeremy Ross...Cal Football.

I see this man's abilities demonstrated and I know he was a Green Bay Packer just this season and last:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1880928-lions-jeremy-ross-celebrates-punt-return-for-td-by-making-snow-angels

Time his 98 yard kick return. Fast Eh and that's in the snow. This fella was tined at 4.44 Sec/40 at the scouting combine. He had a 39 " vert. and about a 9' - 7 " Broad Jump. He had 22 Reps of the bench press (225 lbs.) a 4.19 shuttle and 7.20 3-Cone Drill.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66881&draftyear=2011&genpos=wr

This fella was ours and now he's there's and why? Ohh yea... a shattered psyche... I forgot and 'of course' that's really bad.

Can't a decent ST Coach teach a man to catch punts and KO's? He can't teach the rare talent, speed and elusiveness that Jeremy Ross possesses with a ball in his hands. I believe that Jeremy Ross could be very special with the right tutelage and caring.

How many on our present roster when 100% healthy have this mix of multi-talent? Ohh but his head is all a blunder Eh!?

I look at Jeremy Ross in this locker room interview and I see a young man that looks OK in the head to me. I see a man who's together and modest and who spoke well of the future fortunes of his Ex team the Green Bay Packers. I see a classy individual. What do you see?

Posted: Nov 28, 2013 ... Postgame locker room- WR Jeremy Ross on team's 40-10 win over the Packers.

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/videos/Postgame-locker-room-Jeremy-Ross/ebd4a52e-b186-4be2-82cd-6e4469237e31

Then I go back over it all and actually see Jeremy Ross celebrate a punt return for 'SIX" and what does he do!? WOW! He actually made a snow angel. Psyche fracture for sure ! I'm so very happy he's no longer with us.

Maybe he was too rugged to be a Green Bay Packer... too athletic awesome ..too in your face ! I mean look at this guy pushing people around. Acting so brash for such a young man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe_Q9UcZpMw

Jeremy Ross 2008 Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGvPz1Nhfvw

Jeremy Ross 2009 Highlights

Ohh NO. Jeremy Ross might be a rrr.rrr lalala ihhihh... eaae ..gous? Does that matter?

NOTHING MATTERS and JEREMY ROSS and PACKER .... because that's ....gone.

What did you just see? Have you seen leg strength like Jeremy Ross has often? I mean he's strong like an AP Mimi Me. That man refuses to go down. The Lions have him now and that bugs me.

No wait :whaa: :idea: I just can get there somehow.

Did the Green bay Packers make a mistake or release Jeremy Ross too soon. I'm just a Packer fan and it's simply a big 'so what' as to what I think.

Do I think that Jeremy Ross can contribute something special to an NFL team and that's positive?

I sure do.

QBME
12-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Good gravy Woody - posting at 2 AM EST will shut this place down!!

woodbuck27
12-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Good gravy Woody - posting at 2 AM EST will shut this place down!!

Yea shit no kidding ! Who knew besides you?

I'll never post after 1 AM EST again.

Baby steps.

or...just maybe ...It's the curse of Jeremy Ross.

KYPack
12-15-2013, 03:46 AM
I watched the NFL films highlights of Jeremy Ross vs the Eagles last Sunday. This link shows the run part, but not his work in the catch. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ng-snow-angels
Ross kept his head up and eyes on the ball. he caught the ball in his hands with both feet set. He kept both elbows under his hands, in case the ball got thru 'em he had a cradle to protect the football. He made a jab step in the wrong direction, then got his return yards to the left. He took it to the house.

This is something he just wouldn't do in GB. For whatever reasons, he got geeked out, & tried to do too much and muffed kicks and fumbled the ball. When we cut him, I agreed with it. A returner not handling kicks properly will get you beat. Sometimes, it takes getting cut to get a players attention. That seems to be the situation with Ross.

woodbuck27
12-15-2013, 06:47 AM
I watched the NFL films highlights of Jeremy Ross vs the Eagles last Sunday. This link shows the run part, but not his work in the catch. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ng-snow-angels
Ross kept his head up and eyes on the ball. he caught the ball in his hands with both feet set. He kept both elbows under his hands, in case the ball got thru 'em he had a cradle to protect the football. He made a jab step in the wrong direction, then got his return yards to the left. He took it to the house.

This is something he just wouldn't do in GB. For whatever reasons, he got geeked out, & tried to do too much and muffed kicks and fumbled the ball. When we cut him, I agreed with it. A returner not handling kicks properly will get you beat. Sometimes, it takes getting cut to get a players attention. That seems to be the situation with Ross.

Yes I do agree with what your saying KY.

I think part of that is right here:

http://www.heritage.com/articles/2013/12/15/sports/doc52ab1ae42fdf6068011696.txt?viewmode=fullstory

DETROIT LIONS: Jeremy Ross adds life to return game.

Published: Sunday, December 15, 2013

Man I so much love football. I love the Green Bay Packers and my Packer Home...Packerrats.

That and all this place has built as a Packer home. My greatest fear when I realized that Packerrats went dizzy this week. I sure hope that Mad had all the content of Packerrats fully backed up.

I wonder how long it would take me to copy the Favre thread. :-)

Back on topic:

I read a ton of what's going on around the NFL. It's impossible to keep up with it all but I do try to be informed and every day NFL.Com runs several hours at my home with Mae. I'm fortunate she digs the game as well. That she supports this hobby I have called football.

As I study Jeremy Ross more. I mean really try to see him as he is. I enjoy his attitude and work ethic and it's a little sad for me that he flat out failed in the eyes of the Green Bay Packers but I can report this:

He didn't fail himself. I'll look forward to seeing him one day named the ST's player of the week. I just hope that it's not the same week that Detroit plays Green Bay. I do somehow feel or appreciate this. On those days this fella won't likely be as serious "I'm going to show em'" as a lot of players returning against his old team would be.

I believe that Jeremy Ross is special in terms of his overall personality and character. All Jeremy Ross is focused on is being a better NFL football player and contributing to his team....his ideals/beliefs.

I've got loads to do to finish off my pro Pickem. Darn I'm pissed at myself that I didn't make a '1 CP' play on the field Thursday night San Diego @ Denver. I've tried that before this season and failed but you've got to stick with that once you start. It's 'only' 1 CP...Jheeessshh! The situation there was screemin' that. Naw....I had to go with the flow....and lose ! Curses ! :huh:

Good Luck today KY and all Pro Pickem players. Another interesting week.

GO PACK...GO PACK GO !

Guiness
12-15-2013, 09:21 AM
He did for the punt return, but did you see his KR (also for a TD...) that same game? A halfjumping/body turned sideways catch. I'm not sure if that was bad form, or an impressive adjustment. You can see if from his profile page
http://www.nfl.com/player/jeremyross/2530598/profile

Either way, I agree with you KY that he was worse than useless for the Pack...he was downright dangerous back there. I really don't understand how he turned it around so quickly in Detroit.