PDA

View Full Version : While Packer Defense Sinks, Seattle has risen

Bretsky
12-15-2013, 01:03 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/as-packers-defense-has-slipped-seahawks-have-risen-b99162992z1-235899321.html

Bretsky
12-15-2013, 01:08 AM
BTW...kudos to Packer disciple John Schneider for using the draft, free agency, and trades to build one hell of a defense and team

red
12-15-2013, 09:28 AM
it also helps that the whole seattle defense seems to be using PED's

but i agree, they are doing a better job of team building over there, and the guys doing it are TT's understudies

Patler
12-15-2013, 09:57 AM
In recent year I have see the same basic article attempting to show the Packers playing second fiddle to the rosters of San Francisco, Atlanta, New York Giants and Philadelphia. There have been articles about the Packers being caught by Minnesota when Favre was there, and the Lions over the last several years. Each always seems to include jabs at TT for not making trades or signing FAs with names fans recognize. Next year it will be a different team that does it better than GB.

In reality, others do it different, which in a given year might yield better or worse results. But a fact that is difficult to deny is that the Packers have been able to sustain a level of high competitiveness over lengthy periods of time that are as good as the best in the league.

It only takes a couple careers ended prematurely, or high draft pick failures, or expensive free agents under-performing to change the outlook of a team's roster. The best orgainzations move on quickly from those setbacks.

pbmax
12-15-2013, 10:09 AM
The only team I WANT to play in the playoffs are the Seahawks. In Seattle.

McCarthy spent a half having his original O plan burst into flames against that defense. Even if he makes the same mistake, with Rodgers at QB, it won't take til halftime to fix it.

If the 2012 Packer D could throttle the Seattle O, then I fear them less than the Falcons O.

Pugger
12-15-2013, 10:18 AM
I pray somebody knocks the seachickens out of the playoff with a thud this year and I don't care who it is.

George Cumby
12-15-2013, 10:31 AM
All I want for Christmas is for the AFC Champion to hand the Seahawks a soul-crushing defeat in the SB.

Bretsky
12-15-2013, 11:10 AM
it also helps that the whole seattle defense seems to be using PED's

but i agree, they are doing a better job of team building over there, and the guys doing it are TT's understudies

and Ron Wolf's in Scheiders case; he's made some Ron Wolf like moves that I doubt TT would have embraced

Bretsky
12-15-2013, 11:12 AM

McCarthy spent a half having his original O plan burst into flames against that defense. Even if he makes the same mistake, with Rodgers at QB, it won't take til halftime to fix it.

If the 2012 Packer D could throttle the Seattle O, then I fear them less than the Falcons O.

Hell I don't think we should care who we play

If we mak the playoffs it will be a miracle; my guess is we're done today

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-15-2013, 12:14 PM
double post

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-15-2013, 12:18 PM
You can read a 100 articles about which strategy is better, but lets just make it simple. We are declining talent wise because simply put TT's 2010, 2011, and 2012 drafts have not produced liked we all hoped they would (honestly they sucked). And so far Datone Jones has not show much of anything either (still early though). The seahawks, 49ers, Saints, etc have been hitting on more draft picks then we have.

I'm not a big MM or DC fan, but you can only do so much when the last 3-4 years of draft classes have been subpar.

Since the 2010 offseason until now:

Lost -

Jennings
Woodson
Collins
Bishop
Jenkins
Clifton
Wells

Additions who have flashed:

Hayward
Cobb
Perry
Lacey

We have lost more than we have gained. Plus half of what we have gained is on IR.

red
12-15-2013, 12:56 PM
and my big problem with the draft only approach is that, with the exception of hayward, it usually takes two or three years before those guys are up to speed and playing at their full potential, and thats two or three years of waiting to see if a guy has what it takes, or if he's a flop and you have to draft another guy and wait two or three more years

thats why i get so frustrated when i look at all the holes we have and i just don't see how we fill them all in the draft this year. and we won't know if we did fill those holes until at least 2015

i read somewhere today in one of the articles, might be this one, that our last real free agent signing was brandon chillar back in 2008. thats ridiculous imo

Rutnstrut
12-15-2013, 02:13 PM
What, don't tell me that the faithful here are starting to question the great and powerful TT? He does no wrong, his way is perfect.

pbmax
12-15-2013, 03:06 PM
You can read a 100 articles about which strategy is better, but lets just make it simple. We are declining talent wise because simply put TT's 2010, 2011, and 2012 drafts have not produced liked we all hoped they would (honestly they sucked). And so far Datone Jones has not show much of anything either (still early though). The seahawks, 49ers, Saints, etc have been hitting on more draft picks then we have.

I'm not a big MM or DC fan, but you can only do so much when the last 3-4 years of draft classes have been subpar.

Since the 2010 offseason until now:

Lost -

Jennings
Woodson
Collins
Bishop
Jenkins
Clifton
Wells

Additions who have flashed:

Hayward
Cobb
Perry
Lacey

We have lost more than we have gained. Plus half of what we have gained is on IR.

How about a rookies starting left tackle who has yet to get his QB killed (Bach)? Or a second year RT who only got his QB killed once (Barclay?)

Boykin isn't Jennings but he might be Driver. Hyde isn't rookie Hayward, but he will find a home on D.

run pMc
12-15-2013, 08:06 PM
That is whiny reporting.

First it was GB was to small and soft, now they're too slow.
SEA has built a top defense, true, but if every beat writer compares their GM to what Schneider's done they'll look bad. Schneider's had some very risky picks work out, but I'm inclined to think it's luck and regression to the mean is coming. Chancellor could have been Aaron Rouse II, for example. Also, having a good starting QB on a rookie contract helps with the salary cap when you want to make a move in FA. That team loses Wilson for 6 weeks and they'd surely struggle.
TT has made his share of mistakes and is not above criticism, but he's an above average GM IMO.

denverYooper
12-16-2013, 04:39 PM

Aaaaaaand we're one step closer to seeing this happen.

denverYooper
12-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Closer and closer.

Deeper and deeper.

Freak Out
12-17-2013, 02:03 PM

I would love to see the Packers beat the Chickens in SEA. Pretty long odds on that but one can dream right? :)

smuggler
12-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Hoping for the Cardinals to make the playoffs. I have a feeling the Cardinals would beat SEA in their own home.

Pugger
12-17-2013, 05:56 PM
That is whiny reporting.

First it was GB was to small and soft, now they're too slow.
SEA has built a top defense, true, but if every beat writer compares their GM to what Schneider's done they'll look bad. Schneider's had some very risky picks work out, but I'm inclined to think it's luck and regression to the mean is coming. Chancellor could have been Aaron Rouse II, for example. Also, having a good starting QB on a rookie contract helps with the salary cap when you want to make a move in FA. That team loses Wilson for 6 weeks and they'd surely struggle.
TT has made his share of mistakes and is not above criticism, but he's an above average GM IMO.

Seattle won't be able to keep this roster intact once they have to pay Wilson a normal franchise QB's salary and not his rookie contract he's playing under right now.

red
12-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Seattle won't be able to keep this roster intact once they have to pay Wilson a normal franchise QB's salary and not his rookie contract he's playing under right now.

its not just wilson pugger

earl thomas, richard sherman, golden tate, doug baldwin and bruce irvin are just some of their big time players that are on their rookie contracts

plus you have guys like michael bennett and breno that are free agents after this season (both guys making over 4 million this year)

they got a lot of guys due to make huge money in the coming years

oh and they only have about a million in free cap space for next season

Fritz
12-18-2013, 11:48 AM
When is his rook deal up? Two more years?

red
12-18-2013, 12:08 PM
When is his rook deal up? Two more years?

who, russell wilson?

2 more years. although i don't know if they can keep paying him the peanuts they currently are. he's the most important player on that team and he made just over 500,000 this year. he'll make 660,000 next season, and 800,000 in 2015

i think you're gonna here a lot of talk this offseason about him wanting or needing a new deal