PDA

View Full Version : Is Vic Ketchman that full of himself?

woodbuck27
12-15-2013, 08:16 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/Will-Packers-fans-take-over-Dallas-this-weekend/e0f5ef05-8cac-4916-8762-9586cc335be1

Will Packers fans take over Dallas this weekend?

Posted Dec 13, 2013

Comment woodbuck27:

But this:

See the question and Vic's response above this:

Mez from Janesville, WI

Geez, Vic, enough with the lashing out at the fans about questioning the coaches. We get it, they're infinitely wise and we have no right to judge small mistakes but, honestly, anyone making that kind of money, on that type of stage, that wields that kind of power, is bound to experience intense scrutiny. Granted, it's not all deserved, but it should be expected. Fans pay the bills, Vic, and we want Eddie Lacy running the ball on meaningful downs.

'NOT Vic's BEST MOMENT ' Response:

Janesville, huh? You’re banned, too. I’m banning Janesville and I don’t even know where it is.

My response:

Get your ass out of the clouds Vic. Get out a map of Wisconsin and find out where Janesville ,WI is ......and stay the 'H' away from there. Your not popular.

Clown Jack.

woodbuck27
12-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Maybe these are simply trying times in PACKER NATION.

The best football fans in the world Eh!?

How about that when their losing?

It's still always OK for fans to react in whatever fashion. Their simply the fans.

Otherwise...It's 'only' football.

We need the fans main spokespeople to lead with a proper example. Especially anyone employed by a Packer Nation site as prestigious as Packers.Com. A site existing to present all 'Good Things' Packers and stick it there.

Vic Ketchman made an error here. Let's see if he returns with a proper comeback as he should.

What do you think?

George Cumby
12-15-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm good with him. He's just a smart aleck and has this banter going back and forth with the people who right in.

He's got some really good insights and I've learned a lot from him.

But I can see how he rubs some folks wrong.

pbmax
12-15-2013, 10:06 AM
I think he is next to useless, but I think this is part of his shtick.

Patler
12-15-2013, 10:33 AM
I think he is next to useless, but I think this is part of his shtick.

I have disliked him from my first exposure to his writings. He has done nothing to change my opinion, only to reinforce it.

George Cumby
12-15-2013, 10:56 AM
PB and Patler, I'm curious, what is it about him that sets your teeth on edge? Style? Substance? Both?

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Aren't we all full of ourselves? I mean, what else could we be filled with? Packing peanuts? chicken entrails?

digitaldean
12-15-2013, 12:02 PM
I put him on the same level as the Packer Radio Network post game crew. Greg Matzek & Jeff Falconio have done that to people calling for Capers' head as well.

If you can't take the fans heat, stay out of the proverbial kitchen. I've read some of his stuff on packers.com. Not that impressed.

woodbuck27
12-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Aren't we all full of ourselves? I mean, what else could we be filled with? Packing peanuts? chicken entrails?

chicken entrails?

HH aren't they exclusive to chickens?

red
12-15-2013, 12:12 PM
I put him on the same level as the Packer Radio Network post game crew. Greg Matzek & Jeff Falconio have done that to people calling for Capers' head as well.

If you can't take the fans heat, stay out of the proverbial kitchen. I've read some of his stuff on packers.com. Not that impressed.

yup, i heard them just flat out hang up on a guy a few weeks back, go to commercial, and not mention it after the break

those guys just seem appalled that anyone could question capers or his defense.

i think it was after the thanksgiving day massacre. how can you not understand why people were pissed at capers after that clusterfuck?

Patler
12-15-2013, 12:25 PM
PB and Patler, I'm curious, what is it about him that sets your teeth on edge? Style? Substance? Both?

I would have to say both; but if you ask for an example, I don't have one off-hand. Every time I read something he wrote, or listen to him on air, the whole effort hits me wrong.

oldbutnotdeadyet
12-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I think Vic believes nobody has a correct packer answer besides Vic. I don't give a rat shit about Vic.

George Cumby
12-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I would have to say both; but if you ask for an example, I don't have one off-hand. Every time I read something he wrote, or listen to him on air, the whole effort hits me wrong.

Fair enough. I don't listen to him, so I just read his column, so intonation, etc, is lost on me. Strangely, inside my head, his voice sounds like Fred Rodgers.

pbmax
12-15-2013, 02:07 PM

He strikes me as the kind of reporter who takes other punditry, tosses it into the air and makes pundit salad. He seems to follow no rhyme nor reason in developing his opinion, its all a hodge podge of common football tropes with no trace of independent analysis. I will be completely honest here, I have heard him more than read him as he is a regular on the Packer pre game broadcast. He often makes NO sense and contradicts himself.

There is a good example of pundit salad in the article wood buck links to. He argues that McCarthy cannot take a knee with 4 seconds left in the half if he wants to deliver a message at halftime about being aggressive on offense. Send a message to your team is a vastly overrated reason to do something, since you should be trying to put the team in a position to win. If this is anything but blather, you need something from McCarthy about how he believes this. He has chosen to protect his defense before*, so sending a negative message isn't a non-starter for him.

Most coaches under a certain time will take a knee there, regardless of message sending. McCarthy loves to double up over halftime, but he better have a heck of an explanation how a run is going to help him score with 4 seconds left or it was meaningless. Ketchman provides none of this, though to be fair he is referring to other material so he might have had more on this elsewhere.

*The penalty on 3rd down in the red zone that he declined to force fourth and short.

red
12-15-2013, 02:14 PM
He strikes me as the kind of reporter who takes other punditry, tosses it into the air and makes pundit salad. He seems to follow no rhyme nor reason in developing his opinion, its all a hodge podge of common football tropes with no trace of independent analysis. I will be completely honest here, I have heard him more than read him as he is a regular on the Packer pre game broadcast. He often makes NO sense and contradicts himself.

There is a good example of pundit salad in the article wood buck links to. He argues that McCarthy cannot take a knee with 4 seconds left in the half if he wants to deliver a message at halftime about being aggressive on offense. Send a message to your team is a vastly overrated reason to do something, since you should be trying to put the team in a position to win. If this is anything but blather, you need something from McCarthy about how he believes this. He has chosen to protect his defense before*, so sending a negative message isn't a non-starter for him.

Most coaches under a certain time will take a knee there, regardless of message sending. McCarthy loves to double up over halftime, but he better have a heck of an explanation how a run is going to help him score with 4 seconds left or it was meaningless. Ketchman provides none of this, though to be fair he is referring to other material so he might have had more on this elsewhere.

*The penalty on 3rd down in the red zone that he declined to force fourth and short.

yeah, thats a massive message your sending to the team by running a draw that you know at best will get you 3 or 4 yards to end the half

if you want a message, you try and score there somehow imo. hook and ladder or hail mary or something, not just a give up draw play

George Cumby
12-15-2013, 02:16 PM

As always, well thought out.

I don't have the benefit of listening to him so your points are well taken.

woodbuck27
12-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Fair enough. I don't listen to him, so I just read his column, so intonation, etc, is lost on me. Strangely, inside my head, his voice sounds like Fred Rodgers.

Ohh Dear your missing out George Cumby ...catch Vic and all his style on Packers.Com...You'll see Vic at the gift shop..in the atrium...in the Pacckers locker room...in a hallway...on the balcony...

NO you won't see Vic in TT's office.

Nobody knows ..... where that is.

RashanGary
12-16-2013, 05:28 PM
I like Vic, and I think he's joking there. He's exaggerating to stir people up a little. Most people don't care. They just want a solid opinion and he has one. Other people are more concerned about having their particular opinion supported or at least challenged softly as to not threaten their fragile egos. Those people do not like Vic ;)

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 06:11 PM
I like Vic, and I think he's joking there. He's exaggerating to stir people up a little. Most people don't care. They just want a solid opinion and he has one. Other people are more concerned about having their particular opinion supported or at least challenged softly as to not threaten their fragile egos. Those people do not like Vic ;)

No JH.

He lost it on this occasion but who doesn't. The thing is this is Vic Ketchman and in an important position at Packers.com.

The thing is apologize when you lose it and your in such a position of trust and deemed strength. How hard should it be for him to take the high road?