PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks special teams

red
12-15-2013, 09:11 AM
oh what i wouldn't give for this kind of punt game

seahawks have allowed 15 punt return yards FOR THE WHOLE SEASON, we give that up per punt

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/14/seahawks-punt-team-closes-in-on-history/

and yes, they are doing it with our old punter, who we let go, who the seattle coaches taught that height and hang time is better than distance.

why couldn't our guys teach him that, is this a slocum problem, or a pre slocum problem

another case of a special team guy excelling after he leaves green bay and gets proper coaching

red
12-15-2013, 09:13 AM
fyi

we average 10.3 return yards allowed per punt

we have only had 16 punt returns against us, while seattle has only allowed 13. both numbers are good, we just don't cover as well as seattle

we've only allowed 164 return yards on those 16 returns on 53 punts

seattle has allowed 15 return yards on 13 returns on 52 punts

on the flip side

washington has allowed 559 return yards on 31 returns on 69 punts for a whopping 18 yard return average

KYPack
12-15-2013, 09:59 AM
The Packers beat Jon Ryan up about out kicking the coverage, but he continued to do it. Ryan also kept reverting to punting Canadian style (3 stepping). He was put on notice and got cut for continually doing it. Mike Stock was the ST coordinator. At the end of the season, Stock "retired" and his assistant was given the gig. Stock's assistant was Packer Rats favorite whipping boy, Shawn Slocum.

That 1967 Packer ST record season was unbelievable. Punter Donny Anderson put 22 punts inside the opponents 20 yd line. The long return for the year was 10 yards. 40 punts with 27 fair catches for a total of 22 yards.

pbmax
12-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Return yardage is a dicey stat for effective punting. What we want is Net Yards gained by punting, though to be fair, if your offense is always on their side of the field, you will not look great in that stat.

If Ryan is doing an Aussie style kick, then he is kicking to the opponents goal line frequently. That style kick is not designed to be returned in the NFL.

The return yardage probably tells us more about field position of Seattle's O and D than Ryan. According to Football Outsiders (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst) the Seahawk's punt team is 4th with a score of 9.1 (St Louis, NO, Cincy and San Fran are ahead of the). Packers are 7th with a score of 7.6.

The Packers terrible ST score is mainly Kickoffs and KO Returns. Both miserable.

pbmax
12-15-2013, 10:00 AM
The Packers beat Jon Ryan up about out kicking the coverage, but he continued to do it. Ryan also kept reverting to punting Canadian style (3 stepping). He was put on notice and got cut for continually doing it. Mike Stock was the ST coordinator. At the end of the season, Stock "retired" and his assistant was given the gig. Stock's assistant was Packer Rats favorite whipping boy, Shawn Slocum.

That 1967 Packer ST record season was unbelievable. Punter Donny Anderson put 22 punts inside the opponents 20 yd line. The long return for the year was 10 yards. 40 punts with 27 fair catches for a total of 22 yards.

Was he 3 stepping? I thought they dumped him because Stock wanted to kick directionally?

I wonder if Ryan was getting blocked on those 3 steps and we hadn't yet noticed?

KYPack
12-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Was he 3 stepping? I thought they dumped him because Stock wanted to kick directionally?

I wonder of Ryan was getting blocked on those 3 steps and we hadn't yet noticed?

He would 3 step every so often. he would usually do it when he wanted to boom one. ST coaches don't want you to (A) 3 step and (B) boom 'em.

A boomer gives the returner all kinds of field to work with and can be a coverage nightmare. Ryan kept it up and it got him cut. Ryan showed that young Canadian tendency to be slightly crazy. Stock brought in Derrick Frost who had a different problem. He was a shitty punter and often couldn't kick the ball TO the coverage zone.

Bretsky
12-15-2013, 11:09 AM
He would 3 step every so often. he would usually do it when he wanted to boom one. ST coaches don't want you to (A) 3 step and (B) boom 'em.

A boomer gives the returner all kinds of field to work with and can be a coverage nightmare. Ryan kept it up and it got him cut. Ryan showed that young Canadian tendency to be slightly crazy. Stock brought in Derrick Frost who had a different problem. He was a shitty punter and often couldn't kick the ball TO the coverage zone.

Superior work by the GM in puttting this amount of talent together. The reserves often man the special teams. John Schneider looks elite

channtheman
12-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Thanks for reminding me about this. I remember thinking at the time that it was stupid to give the assistant to the worst ST coordinator in the league his job when he retired, and I still think it's stupid. And our ST results haven't really proven that logic wrong.

Patler
12-15-2013, 12:39 PM

Donny Anderson is credited by many as being the first to really demonstrate the advantages of kicking for height, and not distance.

Patler
12-15-2013, 12:44 PM

Don't forget, too, that his final game as a Packer is the pre-season game in which he excited the fans by giving a great effort in running for a first down on a fake punt. Only problem is that the fake punt had been called off, everyone on the punt team realized it, except for Ryan. Immediately after the game, MM and Stock were very critical of his screw-up.

Upnorth
12-15-2013, 12:54 PM
One of the biggest mistakes of The TT era imo, plus Jon is an awesome guy.

Patler
12-15-2013, 01:01 PM
One of the biggest mistakes of The TT era imo, plus Jon is an awesome guy.

It was a mistake while they searched for a new punter, but with Masthay onboard I do not miss Ryan one bit.
Masthay has taken Hester completely out of many games. I can't ask for anything more than that.

KYPack
12-15-2013, 01:09 PM
It was a mistake while they searched for a new punter, but with Masthay onboard I do not miss Ryan one bit.
Masthay has taken Hester completely out of many games. I can't ask for anything more than that.

2008 was the season of 3 punters. Ryan, Derrick Frost (who was cut after a fugly performance) and ended up with Jeremy Kapinos.

Then, Kentucky Packer fans realized the Pack's plight and sent them Tim Masthay in 2010. Naturally, the Packers won the SB in 2010. In the SB, Kapinos punted for Pitt.

channtheman
12-15-2013, 01:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZjp24g3DaY

Upnorth
12-15-2013, 01:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZjp24g3DaY

He split the vote that year between him and Farve so pretty boy Brady wound up with the MVP that year. Those who know would have voted Ryan in if it wasn't for that meddling Favre guy

pbmax
12-15-2013, 02:55 PM
I did love to watch him play. He was/is fearless. Masthay not too shabby tackling either.