PDA

View Full Version : Texas Interested In McCarthy?

Joemailman
12-15-2013, 08:39 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/235933411.html

Chris Mortenson thinks so.

I don't see McCarthy wanting to leave Green Bay. Maybe Texas will take Capers.

George Cumby
12-15-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't see him leaving, voluntarily. He's got a great gig and the wife is a GB girl.

digitaldean
12-15-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't think MM would want to take a step down to a college job, regardless if it's Texas. Seems pretty remote at best. I'd think they'd go with Briles or Gundy. Gundy and T Boone Pickens (MEGA OK State donor and billionaire) have butted heads over the past couple of seasons)

red
12-15-2013, 08:43 PM
interesting

even after todays win, i might pay for his plane ticket and buy him a new orange suit so he looks good for his interview

pbmax
12-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Well if Bielema can recruit while not being able to form complete sentences, McCarthy would look like a genius.

denverYooper
12-15-2013, 09:31 PM
In other news, Texas has reportedly been interested in most successful NFL coaches and helped get Nick Saban a fat raise.

woodbuck27
12-15-2013, 11:25 PM
interesting

even after todays win, i might pay for his plane ticket and buy him a new orange suit so he looks good for his interview

You really don't imagine any scenario for MM leaving Green Bay do you?

Well maybe he might do so for Law School. Possibly be a CIA recruit.

Decide on a total career change as a straight man for some hilarious comedian.

cheesner
12-15-2013, 11:52 PM
I always thought TT was setting himself up for a career with Johnson and Johnson. Researching pad level.

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 12:10 AM
I always thought TT was setting himself up for a career with Johnson and Johnson. Researching pad level.

Well these men aren't all about football.

oldbutnotdeadyet
12-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Well, I am ok either way. Mixed feelings on MM as a coach. Maybe his ambition is to coach Texas? Mortensen must have got the story somewhere.

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Well, I am ok either way. Mixed feelings on MM as a coach. Maybe his ambition is to coach Texas? Mortensen must have got the story somewhere.

Maybe MM has the common sense to react to the heat.

He's had some to deal with this season and it's not going to get any easier in that regard.

As a matter of fact it's been turned up with that victory over the Dallas Cowboys yesterday.

What a paradox:

Lose and you lose and win and you lose.

It might be nicer to coach college ball. Too much time in any one place is seldom great for any professional.

GO PACKERS !

denverYooper
12-16-2013, 08:17 AM
M3 is not going anywhere and it's time for people to recognize that he's a pretty damn good coach.

Bossman641
12-16-2013, 08:52 AM
M3 is not going anywhere and it's time for people to recognize that he's a pretty damn good coach.

This

pbmax
12-16-2013, 09:33 AM

Repped. :D

sheepshead
12-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Larry McCarren: Mike, you were down 26-3 at halftime, what did you tell your guys.
Mike McCarthy: We got 'em right where we want 'em. ~Classic

oldbutnotdeadyet
12-16-2013, 10:40 AM

I'm not convinced, but can be converted if he wins another super bowl this year...

Me thinks it is time to come back to Colorado and the 60 degree weather, this 20 below shit is getting on my last nerve.

Harlan Huckleby
12-16-2013, 10:47 AM
I think that good Tex-Mex food could play a role in this decision.

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Larry McCarren: Mike, you were down 26-3 at halftime, what did you tell your guys.
Mike McCarthy: We got 'em right where we want 'em. ~Classic

Come on Packer fan...Was that the best he could offer his men?

If Mike McCarthy actually said that I'll.... eat..... eat... eat.... well..... what do you want me to eat?

There is little doubt in my mind that MM could summon such humor in his locker room yesterday down 26-3. That man doesn't exhibit a lot of humor at all lately.

I'm calling that:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmIfLtDSQJsthOcs1azqgazCqJsujMV SzVV7aZEi9Ywoz3oEby

That's a bull.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzFf2FnTW8cMJTIVXQTlAaOgx7hbrVe c723uZgw6Eho0t46_kf

That's ..... right.

Your powers of observation cannot be exceeded. :bclap:

Pugger
12-16-2013, 02:51 PM
I heard Jim Harbaugh's name linked to Texas too. It sounds like bs to me.

Cleft Crusty
12-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Every coach that Texas mentions might want to send a tax deductible donation to the University of Texas after they get their contract extensions.

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Every coach that Texas mentions might want to send a tax deductible donation to the University of Texas after they get their contract extensions.

That'll then may be a few $sheckles$ for the University Of Texas Support the 'Ring The Tower Bells Program':

Check out this long list.... Who’s Next For Texas?

There's Mike McCarthy Where? Ahh wait a second OK...where? Over there ... no there ... where?

http://therotation.sportsonearthblog.com/whos-next-for-texas/

hoosier
12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
When is the last time a successful head coach left the NFL for the NCAA? Guys who were driven out (Spurrier) or who left with their tails between their legs (Petrino) don't count.

sheepshead
12-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Come on Packer fan...Was that the best he could offer his men?

If Mike McCarthy actually said that I'll.... eat..... eat... eat.... well..... what do you want me to eat?

There is little doubt in my mind that MM could summon such humor in his locker room yesterday down 26-3. That man doesn't exhibit a lot of humor at all lately.

I'm calling that:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmIfLtDSQJsthOcs1azqgazCqJsujMV SzVV7aZEi9Ywoz3oEby

That's a bull.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzFf2FnTW8cMJTIVXQTlAaOgx7hbrVe c723uZgw6Eho0t46_kf

That's ..... right.

Your powers of observation cannot be exceeded. :bclap:

well no shit he didnt say it at half time. It was a great line for McCarrens question. It was tongue in cheek, humor, quick wit...get it?

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 04:31 PM
well no shit he didnt say it at half time. It was a great line for McCarrens question. It was tongue in cheek, humor, quick wit...get it?

Whoever could come up with a gem like that in circumstances like that would have to be:

i) A little CRAZY

ii) Able to light a camp fire under any weather conditions

iii) Great fun to drink beer and shoot pool with.

iv) Popular with the ladies.

denverYooper
12-16-2013, 04:31 PM
:drma:

Fritz
12-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Texas fantasy wish to show do donors how much clout they have.

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 06:21 PM

All that matters is that TT thinks that and 'in fact' he does.

As the Packer HC he will receive criticisms when fans believe that's justly due. That comes with the territory and fans only love you for certain realities like hard work, winning and honesty or forthrightness. If you screw up in one of the last two qualities even possessing one of the first two may or often does doom you as leader.

woodbuck27
12-17-2013, 11:51 AM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2013/12/15/5213342/report-texas-longhorns-interested-in-packers-head-coach-mike-mccarthy?utm_source=acmepackingcompany&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=blogs

Report: Texas Longhorns Interested in Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy

By: Jason Hirschhorn @JBHirschhorn on Dec 15 2013, 12:39 PM

" Following Mack Brown's resignation and being rejected by Nick Saban, the Texas Longhorns have reportedly turned their attention to several NFL coaches including Packers headman Mike McCarthy. Don't expect anything to come of it, though. .."

Comment woodbuck27:

I've been thinking about this and we all must agree that this is in his favor> Mike McCarthy knows how to win 'Big Games in Texas. This season Vs Dallas and Vs the Houston Texans last season. BIG WINS ! IMPORTANT GAMES !!

MM can handle it in TEXAS.

PACKERS !

HarveyWallbangers
12-17-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure how anybody could not be sold on McCarthy. The guy is an EXCELLENT coach. I'm guessing most are Ted Thompson haters who have a hard time giving TT credit for anything. On the other hand, I think the beef with Capers is legit. He has talent on the defense this year, and this defense should be a lot better. I say it's time to go in a new direction next year.

Cleft Crusty
12-17-2013, 02:00 PM
I say it's time to go in a new direction next year.

Rex Ryan is confident that he is a good coach

run pMc
12-18-2013, 08:30 AM

+1

Why would a successful NFL coach take a step down to the college level? Jokes about weather and tex-mex aside, why would Texas be such an appealing job? I can't see it. Can't think of a single time successful NFL HC left to coach college ball. Even Saban got the gig at Bama after flaming out on the NFL level...McCarthy has won a SB. Too much money, and professionally it's the top echelon. Besides, M3 always blathers about how the GB job is the best in the world, etc.

Mike Sherman at UT? Yes. Mike McCarthy? No.

Joemailman
12-18-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure how anybody could not be sold on McCarthy. The guy is an EXCELLENT coach. I'm guessing most are Ted Thompson haters who have a hard time giving TT credit for anything. On the other hand, I think the beef with Capers is legit. He has talent on the defense this year, and this defense should be a lot better. I say it's time to go in a new direction next year.

Agree. What I really don't like about this defense is that you have talented young guys like House and Burnett that seem to be regressing. That shouldn't be happening.

Whatever worked in 2010 hasn't really worked since then. Did having HOF-caliber players like Woodson and Collins, plus Tramon having a career year, make Capers defense look better than it really was?

woodbuck27
12-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Agree. What I really don't like about this defense is that you have talented young guys like House and Burnett that seem to be regressing. That shouldn't be happening.

Whatever worked in 2010 hasn't really worked since then. Did having HOF-caliber players like Woodson and Collins, plus Tramon having a career year, make Capers defense look better than it really was?

The Packer Defense!

Was it actually working in 2010? NO it wasn't...if you closely examine it.

The best performance by any Packer 'D' in the Ted Thompson...Mike McCarthy Era existed when? The correct answer to that in my study is:* At the end of the 2008 season * when it was allowing just 284 Y/G.

How good was that defense? In comparison that Packer defense compared favorably to the top ranked defenses in the NFL today:

i) The Seattle Seahawks @ nearly 280 Y/G

ii) The Carolina Panthers @ 296 Y/G.

It's not been the same since the beginning of the 2009 season and frankly the Green Bay Packer defense has been suffering severe fallout. In a state of severe decline recovering to something better only to regress again.

Specifically:

That increasing decline in the Packer defense reached a peak (maybe? surprisingly) of almost *** 412 Y/G at the end of the 2010 season. That ***decline compared to * is a decline of a whopping . Yes ! A decline of nearly 45%.

That clearly places exclamation mark (s) after the name Aaron Rodgers !!!

Where does that decline from when the TT & MM Era 'D' measured best, measure today?

Today the Packer 'D' is measured as allowing 376 Y/G or positioned in that decline I refer to at 32 %.

As a member here I cannot offer any consolation to those of you who are possibly confused about the reason (s) for the recurring decline in the Packer defense. I simply realize the immensity of the problem. I will participate in trying to offer some strategy that Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy and his coaching staff may well employ. Of course as the fan (s) frustration isn't out of the question. Neither is a state of consolation to or absolute contentment.

It's clear that the Packer defense has declined to such a proportion that many here at Packerats are at a loss to know where to begin in terms of some solution. A severe decline to where the yards allowed on defense has contributed to the Packer points for being <<< less than >>> the points against or points allowed by the Packer defense.

A study of Toxic Differential reveals that at present the Green Bay Packers measure at -3 and all of that on the Turn Over Differential. The Team... scores a zero in terms of the Big Play Differential. That places the team in the 15th slot or 'just' OK.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/toxic-differential/2013/

What have we seen of late in terms of any success?

We have watched the Green Bay Packers mount amazing to increasingly amazing comeback's. Amazing comebacks that gave the team 2 wins by a single point margin of victory and a tie. With the state of our defense overall; I'm concerned that those amazing comebacks won't hold any water in terms of the teams future success.

The Packer defense RANKS 26th Overall.

The Packer defense RANKS 22nd Vs the Pass.

The Packer defense RANKS 25th against the run.

The Packer defense surrenders more points that it's offense scores; giving up a 21st Ranked 25.9 Points/Game.

a) What is the reason for this serious dilemma we as Packer fans see clearly with the teams defense?

b) Why has the Packer defense continued in decline (yes); but moreso concerning to severely decline over the past now FIVE (5) seasons?

i) Is it as easy as pointing to 'an impossible to overcome', state of adversity?

ii) Is it the quality of player talent /competency on the teams roster moreso measured in terms of depth?

III) Is it an outright overall failure in Ted Thompson and his Scouting teams ability to locate talent on 'D' for the draft?

iv) Does any strategy of drafting that dilutes the overall quality of the draft ( ie trading down) translate to poorer Roster depth?

V) May we associate TT's selection of high draft pics on the defensive side of the ball with misfortune >>>added adversity?

vi) Does blame fall on Mike McCarthy? Does Mike McCarthy have the parts it really takes to be deemed a truly great NFL Head Coach?

VII) Again in reference to the Packers HC. Is it a specific failure in ways and manners to prepare and motivate the defensive players. To get those players 'FIRED UP' before games and to maintain that tempo or positive attitude that may be pointed to as some degree of blame?

I am sure of this:

The blinds are now off the windows and we have a clear view inside the house.

As Packer fans here at Packerrats we owe it to the great tradition of the Green Bay Packers to try our level and sure best to determine the answers. To do so calmly and objectively.

Thinking:

Maybe this post needs to be on another thread..in any case I'll leave it here and consider placing the above on another thread as well.

GO PACK GO !

Joemailman
12-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Post all the meaningless stats you want Woody. In 2010 the Packers defense gave up 15 PPG. They came up with key turnovers in every playoff game. The defense was the biggest reason the Packers won the Super Bowl.

Freak Out
12-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Just look at the NFC Championship.

woodbuck27
12-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Post all the meaningless stats you want Woody. In 2010 the Packers defense gave up 15 PPG. They came up with key turnovers in every playoff game. The defense was the biggest reason the Packers won the Super Bowl.

Sure Joe...you deem 'the facts' meaningless stat's and act as aggressively disinterested as that serves your needs.

I know what was going on in terms of points allowed by our Defense... whenever ! I can read and make conclusions; even offer suggestions for something more positive for the Packers than denial or shoulder shakes.

Maybe that doesn't describe you Joemailman !?

I certainly know that the defense in regards to points allowed has been in a serious state of regression. I'm too aware of specific details to remain in any denial.

If that serves you and if you feel the need to run your agenda by poo pooing the facts; 'fill your boots' but that will never wash with this Packer fan.

I've decided to get this out front on the forum and use this post as the basis of a study as it's own thread.

Have a nice day. :wink:

GO PACK GO !

Cleft Crusty
12-18-2013, 12:33 PM

Both sides of the ball stepped up to win the 2010 championship. Rodgers was unreal in the Giants game and the Falcons game. He also put the heat on the Bears and Steelers in the NFCCG and the Superbowl. Defense won the season finale and secured victories in two playoff games and the Superbowl. I'd say it both get equal credit. Any spillover could go to Masthay and special teams (season finale and playoff games against Bears). David Akers deserves honorable mention.

bobblehead
12-18-2013, 12:44 PM

Collins was a huge loss. Worse yet we haven't even had an adequate replacement. Also, we lost Bishop and haven't had a thumper at MLB since. Think about how weak we got up the middle with the loss of those 2 guys. I said it in another post, we need to gut the middle of this D and rebuild it. Daniels is a good start, but Pickett isn't getting younger and I don't like a single MLB or S on the roster atm.

bobblehead
12-18-2013, 12:46 PM

This easier to reply to than woody's post. 1 point. The 2010 defense finished many a game on the field by winning...not losing.

bobblehead
12-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Both sides of the ball stepped up to win the 2010 championship. Rodgers was unreal in the Giants game and the Falcons game. He also put the heat on the Bears and Steelers in the NFCCG and the Superbowl. Defense won the season finale and secured victories in two playoff games and the Superbowl. I'd say it both get equal credit. Any spillover could go to Masthay and special teams (season finale and playoff games against Bears). David Akers deserves honorable mention.

Defense won that bears game. Rodgers himself said his best play of the game was tackling Uhrlicker after he picked ARod off.

hoosier
12-18-2013, 12:52 PM
What I really don't like about this defense is that you have talented young guys like House and Burnett that seem to be regressing. That shouldn't be happening.

Does that reflect on Capers and his scheme or on the position coaches, or is it some combination of those? Do we see regression in all of the defensive position groups or is it just the secondary? My guess is that, in addition to the guys you named, the biggest disappointments on defense this year are the well-documented problems finding a competent safety complement to Burnett and the hot and cold play of Raji. And of course the impact of so many injuries. But while House and Burnett seem to have taken a step back, Shields has made significant progress since early last year, and there seems to be improvement among some key young players on front seven (Daniels, Neal). The regression seems to be position-specific and it's definitely not at universal within the secondary group. Does MM rebuild his entire defense based on that?

pbmax
12-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Defense won that bears game. Rodgers himself said his best play of the game was tackling Uhrlicker after he picked ARod off.

I still say that guy has played with undiagnosed concussions and two of them have come against the Bears.

woodbuck27
12-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Does that reflect on Capers and his scheme or on the position coaches, or is it some combination of those? Do we see regression in all of the defensive position groups or is it just the secondary? My guess is that, in addition to the guys you named, the biggest disappointments on defense this year are the well-documented problems finding a competent safety complement to Burnett and the hot and cold play of Raji. And of course the impact of so many injuries. But while House and Burnett seem to have taken a step back, Shields has made significant progress since early last year, and there seems to be improvement among some key young players on front seven (Daniels, Neal). The regression seems to be position-specific and it's definitely not at universal within the secondary group. Does MM rebuild his entire defense based on that?

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/green-bay-packers/

You likely already are aware of this yet all the same...Shields and Neal are UFA's. Shields is arguably the Packers most valuable CB. I read a rumor that he might cost at least in the region of $40 M$. Neal offers the Packers an DL/OLB hybride player.

CB Tramon Williams is possibly going to come in expensive. TT won't over pay for him.

Casey Hayward lost an important year in his transition to the NFL...that loss is unfortunateas overall he looked fine in his rookie year.

Jarrett Bush is the fly and the Packers the fly paper. My guess...he'll stick around.

The younger fellas back there (Davon House @ 6'- 1" and Chris Banjo 5'-10" may simply need time. Micah Hyde (6' - 0" ... OK).

Support for UFA S MD Jennings is declining; there is much hope for S Sean Richardson ( nice size at 6'- 2' and 216 lbs). His motor seems good but we need to see more of him.

LB: Where/how does the DC use CM III and Nick Perry? AJ Hawk has been trying very hard this season and again my guess...he's going to retire a Packer. Jamari Lattimore and Rob Francois are UFA's.

The DL wil be solved with available youth and additions I expect. UFA's BJ Raji wil be retained if he gets his way in terms of the BIG Contract and a better role. I don't like this fella as he's being used. Maybe Ryan Pickett is done and the logical move is Raji to NT. I have no idea about this guy and I'm not in his fan club.

UFA Ryan Pickett is a leader and works hard..age (34 Yrs now and with BJ Raji his role? ... Cost !?) ). UFA Johnny Jolly will be better next season. I lke his attitude. UFA C> J> Wilson...TT knows.

The young fellas ...are doing OK. I like Mike Daniels work ethic.

I have to go to supper. I went through this fast.

PACKERS !

Not many support MD Jennings and

woodbuck27
12-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Looking at this whole Aaron Rodgers collarbone injury and followup:

Hindsight is 20-20. I may be seeing lots in relation to how this matter was handled between MM and TT. Things that aren't clearly evident. I speculate might take time to reveal themselves.

Maybe MM and TT havn't been as close as they could have been in terms of communication on this matter. I observed MM look not appearing as strong as he should have been before the press/media and this issue.

Where was Ted Thompson throughout this whole thing?

Did you (the Packer fan) see TT and hands on in any part of the Aaron Rodgers loss to the team?

Has TT been available to us the fans; forthcoming about what specifically he feels about Aaron Rodgers and this collarbone injury?

Does Ted Thompson truly care about anyone but his own privacy?

Does Ted Thompson truly care about MM>>>the Coach's>>>the Roster>>>the Packer fans?

Maybe the heat that MM had to deal with in this whole matter overall has soured him and has even caused him to almost seem repetitive in his responses?

Maybe MM might enjoy another environment to work in?

Further Comment woodbuck27:

For those of you that deem it necessary:

This isn't any silly hate TT thing. This is a common sense concern.

Where is Ted Thompson !?

Fritz
12-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Looking at this whole Aaron Rodgers and his collarbone injury and followup:

Hindsight is 20-20. I may be seeing lots in relation to how this matter was handled between MM and TT. Things that aren't clearly evident and I speculate might take time to reveal themselves.

Maybe MM and TT havn't been as close as they could have been in terms of communication. I observed lots that made MM look not as strong as he should have been before the press/media and this issue.

Where was Ted Thompson throughout this whole thing?

Did you see TT and hands on in any part of the Aaron Rodgers loss to the team? Has TT been available to us the fans and forthcoming about what specifically he feels about Aaron Rodgers?

Does Ted Thompson truly care about anyone but his own privacy?

Does Ted Thompson truly care about MM>>>the Coach's>>>the Roster>>>the Packer fans?

Maybe the heat that MM had to deal with in this whole matter overall has soured him and has even caused him to almost seem repetitive in his responses?

Maybe MM might enjoy another environment to work in?

Further Comment woodbuck27:

For those of you that deem it necessary:

This isn't any silly hate TT thing. This is a common sense concern.

Posts like this provide me with a sense of relief, Woodrow. For a while you were somewhat articulate, and I feared the Apocalypse was nigh.

woodbuck27
12-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Posts like this provide me with a sense of relief, Woodrow. For a while you were somewhat articulate, and I feared the Apocalypse was nigh.

I did another Edit .... Fritz :smile:

That post is clear in terms of the question (s). A question that maybe? it's simply easier to duck?

In any case:

You inform this forum of where TT is man? Where is he Fritz?

I expect some of your fine humor on this one Packer fan Bud.

GO PACK GO !