PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: @ Cowboys Aftermath

pbmax
12-16-2013, 09:53 AM
I love this guy: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64720966/

DY posted this link elsewhere but I loved this quote about Romo even more than the piece on signing Flynn earlier in the season.

Romo interception spin control is already in effect: Jason Garrett claims that Romo changed the play that led to the second interception at the line of scrimmage, while tape analysis suggests that Cole Beasley ran his flat route improperly, which resulted in the interception. Other quarterbacks throw interceptions, Romo throws majority decisions with dissenting opinions.

denverYooper
12-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Did they ever start calling holding on whichever 2 or 3 guys were assigned to Daniels in the second half?

Daniels and Boyd could make for a good time next year on that DL. They're both really frenetic for big guys, not unlike some DL on a certain West Coast team.

pbmax
12-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Packers @ Cowboys Win Probability, all the advanced stats the guy does for this game are here: http://live.advancednflstats.com/index.php?gameid1=2013121512

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/CowPackWinProb.png

pbmax
12-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Did they ever start calling holding on whichever 2 or 3 guys were assigned to Daniels in the second half?

Daniels and Boyd could make for a good time next year on that DL. They're both really frenetic for big guys, not unlike some DL on a certain West Coast team.

They did not call much on the O lines all game. I think Sitton's was one of the very few O line penalties.

Cleft Crusty
12-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Packers @ Cowboys Win Probability, all the advanced stats the guy does for this game are here: http://live.advancednflstats.com/index.php?gameid1=2013121512

http://andyrussell.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/hockey.jpg

denverYooper
12-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Ben Fennell ‏@TheXOsOfLife 2m
#Packers MD Jennings - 32/72 snaps snaps.. Defensive totals when on field: Rushing (11 carries-94yds) Passing (13/19, 156yds, 2TDs)

#Packers Sean Richardson-40/72 snaps snaps..Def. totals when onfield: Rushing (7 carries-40yds,TD) Passing (16/29, 202yds, 3INTs, 2 Sacks)

channtheman
12-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Back to the Packers for a moment. If they had signed Matt Flynn the moment the Raiders released him on Oct. 7, they would be closing in on a division title right now. Given the start in the Vikings tie (plus a few more weeks to get re-acclimated to Mike McCarthy's system), Flynn would probably have won that game. Pencil in one more win among the Bears, Eagles or Giants games (the last two were closer than their scores but got out of hand because Scott Tolzien had no chance of engineering comebacks), and the Packers would be 9-5, perhaps with the Bears a game lower in the standings.
No one is drinking any Matt Flynn Jell-O shots, just as we knew better than to shotgun cans of McCownbrau. All the Packers needed was baseline backup competency in the month between Rodgers' injury and Flynn's readjustment to his role. They did not get that, even though they knew in training camp that the backup situation was a problem. They dragged their feet and let Flynn go to Buffalo for a few weeks. It may have cost them the playoffs.

Was talking to my dad about exactly this last night and came to the same conclusion. The Packers would very likely be 9-5 if we didn't drag our feet on Matt Flynn when he became available. Very big misstep by TT in this regard.

Teamcheez1
12-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Was talking to my dad about exactly this last night and came to the same conclusion. The Packers would very likely be 9-5 if we didn't drag our feet on Matt Flynn when he became available. Very big misstep by TT in this regard.

Without checking the timeline, wasn't Flynn picked up off the waiver wire at first? I'm not sure he was available to us early on.

channtheman
12-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Without checking the timeline, wasn't Flynn picked up off the waiver wire at first? I'm not sure he was available to us early on.

I don't know how a lot of that stuff works. I thought after Oakland cut him he was available to us if we wanted him. Perhaps not though? Pb, Patler?

pbmax
12-16-2013, 10:46 AM
After Oakland's Oct 7 release, M3 said of Flynn that he liked his QB room (Rodgers, Wallace, Tolzien). Bills picked up Flynn a week or so later after another injury.

Once that injury healed, he got the boot again.

pbmax
12-16-2013, 10:46 AM
The Packers should probably sign Sam Shields now, before the price continues to go up.

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 10:58 AM

DY posted this link elsewhere but I loved this quote about Romo even more than the piece on signing Flynn earlier in the season.

I read and enjoyed this article and the author's style.

That man is overall straight up accurate in how he see's it.

I noted all that was pointed at the Green Bay Packers.

Maybe on that note this author is worthy of resentment?

The MM and TT apologists might contradict this author and 'of course' as they may. To them Senaca Wallace will always be their 'unknown quality'. Seneca Wallace was a rich investment at backup QB compared to what Matt Flynn has cost TT.

Why add another thimble of water to the quarter cup?

The bottom line and this article/author.... Thanks pbmax.

Guiness
12-16-2013, 11:22 AM
I don't know how a lot of that stuff works. I thought after Oakland cut him he was available to us if we wanted him. Perhaps not though? Pb, Patler?

He cleared waivers after being released from Oakland - that got anyone signing him after that off the hook for the big contract he was carrying around. Buffalo signed him, I never heard for what, but I assume it was vet minimum. He was released November 4th (I don't think they let him hold a ball in Buffalo) and signed by the Packers Nov 12th. So he was available before the 12th, but the Wallace injury wasn't until the 10th.

pbmax
12-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Veteran presence:

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 15h
Tramon on not knowing if clinching INT would be replayed: "The referee was calling for the ball, and I refused to give it to him."

pbmax
12-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Number of "That's a pick" Tweets after Tramontana's game clinching INT: 22,372

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 11:51 AM

On the defensive side of the ball.

Tramon Williams had a big game and it's nice to see that.

Hey pbmax:

Are you in our Pro Pickem?

If you are..... I cry foul. :cry:

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Number of "That's a pick" Tweets after Tramontana's game clinching INT: 22,372

I've never actually seen a tweet.

Neither has Mae.

Where can you get a sample, pbmax?

ThunderDan
12-16-2013, 12:06 PM

Neither has Mae.

Post 14 in this thread.

pbmax
12-16-2013, 12:11 PM

Neither has Mae.

Go here: www.twitter.com

In the search field, type #Packers and it will get you a representative sample. Its unfiltered, you get everything, but it will show you the format and content. The better way to experience it is to sign up for an account and then "Follow" people. When you follow other accounts, their posts appear on your homepage. Its like a miniature blog of items the Packer writers post that I see daily.

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Post 14 in this thread.

Rich kid .... smart ass attitude. Take a hike please.

See post #19 of this thread for some real help.

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Go here: www.twitter.com

In the search field, type #Packers and it will get you a representative sample. Its unfiltered, you get everything, but it will show you the format and content. The better way to experience it is to sign up for an account and then "Follow" people. When you follow other accounts, their posts appear on your homepage. Its like a miniature blog of items the Packer writers post that I see daily.

OK Thanks pbmax.

ThunderDan
12-16-2013, 01:43 PM

Go find someone else to bother. You asked a question and I responded with an actual answer. Yes, a smart ass wisecrack but an honest answer none the less.

BTW .... You will never run me off this site. If you don't like it .... you can take a hike.

Packman_26
12-16-2013, 02:13 PM

Guy needs to get it straight before he starts playing gotcha. Garrett said that Romo changed the play on the first interception, not the second. Beasley did seem to run the route poorly on the second interception, only problem was it isn't the play in question.

pbmax
12-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Guy needs to get it straight before he starts playing gotcha. Garrett said that Romo changed the play on the first interception, not the second. Beasley did seem to run the route poorly on the second interception, only problem was it isn't the play in question.

Yeah, a lot of stuff written last night got that wrong. It was doubly confusing because half of the football world thought it was the last INT play and the other half thought Romo audible to a non related throw rather than a pass option to get out of a bad run look.

I have been reading him for a while, he'll fix it when it gets pointed out. Still bright and funny stuff.

Pugger
12-16-2013, 02:39 PM

Wow, looked like Garrett was covering his ass and tossing his QB under the bus. There were former players talking about this this morning on the NFLN on their morning show and those players said when a coach does that a player can never trust that coach again. Things must be fun in the girls' locker room these days. :lol:

Packman_26
12-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Wow, looked like Garrett was covering his ass and tossing his QB under the bus. There were former players talking about this this morning on the NFLN on their morning show and those players said when a coach does that a player can never trust that coach again. Things must be fun in the girls' locker room these days. :lol:
This finally explains why to this day, Mike Holmgren has never gotten a Christmas card from TJ Rubley.

Packman_26
12-16-2013, 02:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyPIM6tg4cM&t=9m43s
Go to 9:43

denverYooper
12-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 26m
Also, Randall Cobb had a strong workout today and a plan for his week will be made on Wednesday. I take that to mean some practice time.

Guiness
12-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Go to 9:43

Interesting thing I saw...I don't think the catch by Chris Carter at 10:00 was was a catch by today's standards. Ball touched the ground.

Fritz
12-16-2013, 04:37 PM

Bad argument. Philly game I think it was, Packer TOP was way way higher than Phily's, but defense sucked ass. Not the QB. Second guessing easy.

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Go find someone else to bother. You asked a question and I responded with an actual answer. Yes, a smart ass wisecrack but an honest answer none the less.

BTW .... You will never run me off this site. If you don't like it .... you can take a hike.

"Yes, a smart ass wisecrack" ThunderDan is an honest young man.

Jeee I'm a poet.

Hey relax. We need members here and certainly no one run off or running off ...ThunderDan.

I'm on your side.

MadtownPacker
12-16-2013, 05:26 PM
I agree, you both should stay and fight. Wars always get great ratings.

But fuck garrett, Romo fucked up at the end but who decided to not run the ball in the second half and kill time? He might want to look in the mirror.

woodbuck27
12-16-2013, 06:00 PM

Yes Garrett has to do some major damage control but that isn't going to matter if Dallas doesn't win their division. He should have first ensured his locker room. Let the owners attitude towords him run it's course through the players success on the field.

A) HC + B) Players = C (success or not) = contract (extension or not).

JJ said a couple of weeks ago that Garrett's job was safe for next season. One might 'only' assume that's the case taking that JJ expects the Cowboys to make the playoffs or all bets are reasonably off.

channtheman
12-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Bad argument. Philly game I think it was, Packer TOP was way way higher than Phily's, but defense sucked ass. Not the QB. Second guessing easy.

I don't think it's a bad argument. Flynn was available before Rodgers went down. The argument is that between the Bears, Eagles, and Giants game Flynn leads us to just ONE victory. And we don't tie the Vikings if Flynn plays the whole game. I don't think either of those are far fetched arguments. We might very well lose every game we lost and still tie the Vikings, but I doubt it.

Fritz
12-17-2013, 01:03 AM
You're assuming Fynn out of the gate woulda been better than Tolzien, whom we mostly praised in hi first two appearances.

pbmax
12-17-2013, 07:51 AM

The Philly game was a breakdown in the secondary. Lots of long passes, otherwise the front had their run game bottled up.

Cleft Crusty
12-17-2013, 08:07 AM

a 10-14 point turn around in that game was exclusively the fault of the QB. Usually, that's a backbreaker even with an excellent QB. protecting against the TO is huge. Take the three INTs in that game and turn them into sacks, and you probably win that game.

bobblehead
12-17-2013, 08:08 AM
#Packers MD Jennings - 32/72 snaps snaps.. Defensive totals when on field: Rushing (11 carries-94yds) Passing (13/19, 156yds, 2TDs)

#Packers Sean Richardson-40/72 snaps snaps..Def. totals when onfield: Rushing (7 carries-40yds,TD) Passing (16/29, 202yds, 3INTs, 2 Sacks)

Now, I am king of dismissing "stats" because they can be manipulated and misrepresented in so many ways (like the color coding for no reason whatsoever in Crustys temperature chart), but these numbers are pretty damning and straightforward.

bobblehead
12-17-2013, 08:18 AM

So the proper course of action wasn't to keep the 2 QB's we had working in our system for the previous 8 weeks, but to go out and sign a guy who would be making more than both of them combined and hadn't worked in our system in years, and wasn't familiar with the players or any tweaks we have made to the system in years, and I'm not even sure he cleared waivers. Did Buffalo pick him up on waivers? (does the NFL work that way?)

We also get to automatically pencil in wins for games we lost because we are certain the result would have changed. Also, we were to magically know that Wallace would get hurt and we would desperately need someone else. Also, we were to know that Flynn would be successful and that Seattle and Oakland didn't have a clue (both teams run by guys who had flynn in GB and knew him then and now.)

I guess I also should have asked sally McClain to prom because we would have 2 awesome kids by now and I would have inherited her dad's millions. This second guessing game is easy.

I have another what if. What if we had brought flynn in right away and, like in buffalo, he still wasn't motivated to film study and he shit the bed with us and we wouldn't be in first place NOW. Yea, how about that, TT's course of action has us in first place, but he sucks because we should be in first by MORE.

Cleft Crusty
12-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Second place

bobblehead
12-17-2013, 08:36 AM

Woody, he wasn't being smart ass. Post 14 was actually a paste of a tweat. You asked for an example and he was showing you.

bobblehead
12-17-2013, 08:40 AM
I agree, you both should stay and fight. Wars always get great ratings.

But fuck garrett, Romo fucked up at the end but who decided to not run the ball in the second half and kill time? He might want to look in the mirror.

In fairness as aikman was hammering them for not running all I could think of is all the packer fans that would wig out if MM were in the exact situation running the ball and turning a blowout into a small win. They would all be screaming "playing not too lose" "playing too tight" "go for the throat".

bobblehead
12-17-2013, 08:45 AM
a 10-14 point turn around in that game was exclusively the fault of the QB. Usually, that's a backbreaker even with an excellent QB. protecting against the TO is huge. Take the three INTs in that game and turn them into sacks, and you probably win that game.

You also have to take away the perfection in long passes from that game. MM said he had never had a QB grade out 7/7 in deep routes before (or something like that).

bobblehead
12-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Second place

My bad...Controlling our own destiny then.

denverYooper
12-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Randall Liu ‏@RLiuNFL 4m
NFC Offensive Player of Week 15: @Packers RB Eddie Lacy (@Lil_Eazy_Ana_42). 1st career Player of Week Award

denverYooper
12-18-2013, 09:23 AM
So it looks like Tramon has his old job back full time and everyone has surpassed House on the defensive depth chart.

House had 0 snaps on defense on Sunday and 1 snap last week according to http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts. He had 65 snaps against Detroit. That apparently was one change that Capers was talking about. He said something to the effect that they weren't going to make wholesale changes, but that people would probably notice what the change(s) were.

So then they started with TWill/Shields with Jennings at FS/Burnett at FS and then moved more toward Richardson at SS/Burnett at FS. Hyde as the nickel back and Bush in dime.

I wonder if they start Richardson on Sunday, because their best core sure seems to be TWill/Burnett/Richardson/Shields. That group might be good enough together for a run. It sure seems like that group has shown the best results over the last few weeks.

pbmax
12-18-2013, 09:25 AM
I hope they continue to use Richardson more and spot Jennings more judiciously. The numbers posted elsewhere are startling. I know they are not matched in terms of skill and you need to move Burnett when you do this, but SR delivers some upside.

run pMc
12-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Until that penalty I thought House had played pretty good on ST, and inconsistent at CB. Maybe getting benched in favor of Hyde/Bush will light a fire under him, but I doubt it. This is what...year 3 for him?

I think SR gets a lot of snaps vs. PIT since they'll need a bigger body in there against Bell.
Not sure if he's a big upgrade over Jennings, but he's basically still a rookie and likely still shaking rust off. What say others?

So Banjo got 0 snaps? Do we need to rename this More SR?

They gotta give Banjo a snap or two against his old team (PIT).

mission
12-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Until that penalty I thought House had played pretty good on ST, and inconsistent at CB. Maybe getting benched in favor of Hyde/Bush will light a fire under him, but I doubt it. This is what...year 3 for him?

I think SR gets a lot of snaps vs. PIT since they'll need a bigger body in there against Bell.
Not sure if he's a big upgrade over Jennings, but he's basically still a rookie and likely still shaking rust off. What say others?

So Banjo got 0 snaps? Do we need to rename this More SR?

They gotta give Banjo a snap or two against his old team (PIT).

Yes. I want more SR, in general.

Pugger
12-19-2013, 10:02 AM
So it looks like Tramon has his old job back full time and everyone has surpassed House on the defensive depth chart.

House had 0 snaps on defense on Sunday and 1 snap last week according to http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts. He had 65 snaps against Detroit. That apparently was one change that Capers was talking about. He said something to the effect that they weren't going to make wholesale changes, but that people would probably notice what the change(s) were.

So then they started with TWill/Shields with Jennings at FS/Burnett at FS and then moved more toward Richardson at SS/Burnett at FS. Hyde as the nickel back and Bush in dime.

I wonder if they start Richardson on Sunday, because their best core sure seems to be TWill/Burnett/Richardson/Shields. That group might be good enough together for a run. It sure seems like that group has shown the best results over the last few weeks.

Tramon has been playing better lately.

pbmax
12-19-2013, 11:16 AM
We are not asking for More SR unless someone can tell me its a musical instrument.

KYPack
12-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Yes. I want more SR, in general.

He is rock solid in the box.

In cover, he needs reps and learn to relax and play to his help.

I'm more enthused about Richardson than some of the other plumbers we've had back there.