View Full Version : JSO article: Return units develop slowly

the_idle_threat
08-27-2006, 04:39 AM
Return units develop slowly

Woodson to take punts; kickoff plan unsettled

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 26, 2006

Green Bay - When he went trolling for talent in the draft this spring, Green Bay Packers general manager landed three prospects with return ability.

Barring a Desmond Howard-like late bid for a job, it appears none of the three - receivers Greg Jennings and Cory Rodgers and cornerback Will Blackmon - will be lining up with the starting return units when the regular season begins Sept. 10.

On Saturday, coach Mike McCarthy said veteran cornerback Charles Woodson would be the team's punt returner Monday night against Cincinnati. Even though Jennings will also be used in the game, it appears the decision has been made to go with the veteran when the games count.

"It's definitely Charles' job," Jennings said. "I just hope to get back there sometime if Charles needs a blow. If they've had a rough defensive sequence and he needs a blow, I'll go out and help him out. (*snicker* ... I'm sorry ... What is he talking about again? :razz: ) Charles is good at what he does and that's another position where he's experienced in doing that, and so he definitely has the upper hand. I have no problem being second behind him."

As for kickoff returns, Jennings is not in the mix and Rodgers appears a long shot given his problems fielding the ball. Blackmon might have been a candidate for both jobs, but he remains on the physically-unable-to-perform list with a broken foot.

The kickoff return job, perhaps more than any starting position on the football team, is unsettled. Against the Bengals, McCarthy intends on using rookie free-agent running back Arliss Beach - who in the last two weeks has made an earnest run at a roster spot - with veteran Noah Herron on the back line.

It was 10 years ago that Howard, the eventual Super Bowl XXXI most valuable player, was on his way to being among the final cuts when he returned a punt for a touchdown in the second exhibition game and secured a roster spot. It's possible Beach, Jennings, Rodgers or rookie free agent Carlton Brewster could move up the ranks with a big return against the Bengals this week.

"It's a great opportunity," said Beach, who returned kickoffs at Kentucky. "As a rookie, that's something good. I see it as an opportunity to get out there and show what I can do."

Brewster, who has made the best of his first five days with the team after his arrival from Cleveland in a trade, never returned kickoffs in college but is willing to do anything to make the team. He has been paired with running back Samkon Gado on kickoffs and would like nothing better than to force the issue with a long return.

"When I first got traded here I didn't know what was going on, but when I got here they told me the return spot was open," the 5-foot-11, 214-pound Brewster said. "So if I get back there I'm just going to do my best. Hopefully I can do some good when I get the rock."

Not included in the group expected to return kickoffs Monday night is running back Najeh Davenport and cornerback Ahmad Carroll. Davenport, who lined up on the starting return unit with Gado in the San Diego game and with Herron in the Atlanta game, said he did not work special teams this week. Davenport suffered a hip injury Tuesday, which might have affected his status.

Carroll said he had been working with "the fifth team."

The importance of good return units isn't lost on McCarthy. In Mike Sherman final year as coach last season, the Packers ranked dead last in the NFL in kickoff returns with an 18.9-yard average and tied for 11th in punt returns with an 8.5-yard average. Only Davenport remains from the kickoff return group last year, and punt returner Antonio Chatman will be on the other side of the field Monday night, lining up with the Bengals.

Chatman is the last Packer to score a touchdown on a punt return, going 85 yards last year against Chicago, while the last kickoff returned for a touchdown was by Allen Rossum against Indianapolis on Nov. 19, 2000.

Finding someone who can do more than get the ball out to the 20-yard line on kickoffs or avoid taking a big hit on punt returns is a priority. With less than a week to go before the final cuts are made, the Packers are still searching for the perfect mix.

"I think Monday night's game will give us a clearer perspective of how we are in the return game," McCarthy said. "This is a big game for a number of reasons, particularly special teams. Usually, in my experience, special teams (shakes out) more in the third game."

In Woodson's case, the third exhibition game will be an opportunity to showcase skills he really hasn't displayed since his final two years at the University of Michigan. Woodson averaged 9.6 and 8.4 yards per punt return with the Wolverines (47 attempts) but only had 12 punt returns and a fair catch (6.4 average) in eight seasons with Oakland.

When he signed a free-agent contract with the Packers, Woodson asked the coaches if they would allow him to return punts and they agreed to it. So far, Woodson's only return (3 yards) was in the San Diego game, so McCarthy is eager to see what he can do.

"It will be something new, but something old," Woodson said. "It will go fine."

Some of his teammates want to see if he can provide a boost to the unit because so far they haven't had a lot of success on punt returns.

"As of right now we haven't had a chance to see what he can do," said cornerback Jason Horton, who serves on the unit. "Based on his prior history, he knows how to do it. That's all I can go off of, what he's done prior. We hope he can do it here."

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/aug06/woodson826.jpg

Charles Woodson has locked up the punt return job for the Packers.

From the Aug. 27, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

the_idle_threat
08-27-2006, 05:05 AM
I know this has been said before, but I'll say it again anyway: With his injury history, I don't like the idea of Woodson returning punts.

Bretsky
08-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Me either; he could be way to valuable on D and this is an accident waiting to happen

Scott Campbell
08-27-2006, 08:41 AM
We have reasonable depth at CB, and no other viable alternative as a punt returner on the roster at the moment. He wants to do it, and they promised him he could as part of their free agent recruiting. These guys are football players - let em play.

Fritz
08-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Y'know, that's another phrase, like "laying the wood on," that's always kind of troubling to me: a guy needing "a blow."

If a guy needs a blow but lays the wood on somebody instead, is he all good, then?

As for the punt return situation, now that C. Rodgers has shown that while he does not need a blow he does blow, I'm rooting for the new guy from Ferris State that TT just traded for. If he can't do it, well, let's see what Woodson can do. What the hell. Guys get hurt all the time just making a cut on the field, so there's no sense in protecting Woody (can we call him that?) if he's needed.

red
08-27-2006, 12:12 PM
i hate this

he may be our best return guy, bur like others have said. he's very highly paid, and very prone to injury

however on the plus side, he did win a heisman by doing things like returning punts and kickoffs

MadtownPacker
08-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Damn, kiss those $10,000,000 for this year goodbye. :evil:

Terry
08-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't know why these types of articles and just about everyone else only ever talk about the returners. Aren't there 10 other guys on the field with them at the same time?

When I see stats like those saying we were last in kickoff returns and 11th in punt returns, it makes me think of two things: I wonder about the quality of our special teams' coaching and schemes; and I begin to think we didn't appreciate what we had in Chatman.