PDA

View Full Version : Cleft Crusty's Week 16 Picks (call your bookie)

Cleft Crusty
12-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Week 16 in the NFL
Staggering into week 16 of the NFL season are a lot of imperfect NFL teams. There may be a lot of “want to” in NFL locker rooms, but there’s a lot of “can’t do” on depleted NFL rosters.

Dolphins at Bills – Dolphins need to keep winning which means they will do everything in their power to lose. Bills are primed to lose big, with Thad Lewis returning to start and nothing to play for, except the crazed home fans in their Neolithic stadium. Pick: Dolphins win very ugly, on a Sherman fourth-and-one call.

Saints at Panthers – Saints are swooning, and are on the road, out of doors, so you should pick Carolina. But the Saints are so talented and resilient. The game will be decided by a simple psychological factor: will the Panthers be overwhelmed by the largeness of the game? Everything is in front of them: NFC south title, home field advantage, a playoff bye. Pick: Cam can do it

Cowboys at Redskins – Shanahan will pull the old Denver offense out of mothballs to accommodate Kirk Cousins. Over under on roll out passes to the TE is 7. Cowboys need this game desperately, but have a defense worse than Iraq during Desert Storm. Cowboys have an offense that can outscore Redskins. Pick: Jerry will visit the sidelines, but Cowboys prevail

Colts at Chiefs – Chiefs skill players will run all over Colts underwhelming defense. Control Mathis and the rest falls into place. Problem is that the Chiefs are beat up themselves. Pick: Chiefs make fewer mistakes and Charles runs all over the place

Bucs at Rams – Two teams left for dead after major issues at QB are playing spirited football late in lost seasons. Rams are building a dominant defense. Pick: Rams

Cards at Seahawks – Cards have put themselves in a position to accomplish big things and can compete for a wildcard. Unfortunately for them, Carson Palmer wilts in big games. And they are at Seattle. This one could get ugly. Pick: Seattle

Steelers at Packers – Steelers don’t quit. Roethlisberger doesn’t quit, even when someone says “No.” Matt Fynn can direct a motley crew for a lot of points against a practice squad defense (Dallas) but not against LeBeau. Tomlin will have a game low zero tackles and McCarthy will wish Rodgers got milk as a kid. Pick: Steelers

Bears at Eagles – Eagles will want to win coming off an awful showing in Minnesota, and have to keep pace with Dallas for next week's showdown. Chicago knows they only need to beat the Packers next week to win the division. Pick: Eagles in a high scoring sloppy game.

Browns at Jets – Does anyone care who wins this game? The winner just gets a lower pick in the draft. Both teams have absurd situations at QB, decent defenses, but Cleveland’s defense has fourth quarter collapses down to a fine art. Packer fans are hoping for a Cleveland win to increase the chances that Rex Ryan will be available for Defensive Coordinator. Pick: Jets by a foot

Vikings at Bengals – Bengals can’t deal with success. Viking seem to be relaxed and enjoying this season’s failure. Marvin Lewis seems to really enjoy watching his team choke seasons away. Still, Bengals are the superior team. In a “where is my glass jawed punter?” special, Pick: Bengals

Broncos at Texans – There really ought to be no drama in this game, except that the Texans are starting to panic, thinking that they might have first choice at Jadeveon Clowney. Is he the real deal? Will he play every down? Will he blow up in their faces? Should they trade down? Maybe life would be simpler if they just win a few down the stretch and get the #2 pick. Oh, wait, they suck. Pick: Denver

Titans at Jaguars – Titans have already decided to completely blow up their team in the offseason, so why not start early? Jaguars have been playing better of late. Pick: Spotted felines

Giants at Lions - Can the Lions seriously lose to this depressed bunch playing out the string? Sure they can. But they won’t. Pick: Lions

Patriots at Ravens – New England keeps winning with smoke and mirrors and Tom Brady. Ravens are a scoring machine, but the machine is only turning out FGs. Over under on attempted FGs is 10. Overunder on yawns is 12. Pick: In a gimpy knee QB special, Ravens by a FG.

Raiders at Chargers – Raiders are playing for their coach’s job. Raiders don’t like their Coach, but they don’t like the Chargers either. McFadden returns but Matthews and the Charger offense is better. Over-under on tackles refused by Charles Woodson: 6. Pick: Bolts

Falcons at Niners – Seriously? Sometimes a forfeit is the merciful thing to do. Good bye Candlestick. Best thing about the place is that it never collapsed from the earthquake damage. Worst thing about the demolition: The site for “The Catch” gets paved over and becomes a back corner office in a corrugated warehouse. Ahh, the memories. Pick: Niners

George Cumby
12-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Roethlisberger doesn’t quit, even when someone says “No.”

:-P

Repped.

bobblehead
12-21-2013, 12:46 PM
texans +11.5

woodbuck27
12-21-2013, 01:28 PM
texans +11.5

Here's a classic matchup of the Smart Vs Dumb Team variety that one NFL website uses.

I like the term 'Home Dog' rather than 'Dumb Team' for the inferior team. I like that term 'On any Given Sunday'. It somehow seems, let's say nicer.

If I had to bet I'd take the points and Texas. That's a safe bet for the home dog and usually delivers when the Vegas point spread is set at +11 points or higher on a home team. Sure this is the high powered Denver offense but maybe Texas plays up to it's potential on 'D' this Sunday and gets something finally from Matt Schaub. last chech he was named starter over the younger experiment that's all but gone south. Caseee has been 'encased'.

Do not bet Denver too cover. There are safer bets.

Rodgers12
12-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Week 16 in the NFL
Staggering into week 16 of the NFL season are a lot of imperfect NFL teams. There may be a lot of “want to” in NFL locker rooms, but there’s a lot of “can’t do” on depleted NFL rosters.

Dolphins at Bills – Dolphins need to keep winning which means they will do everything in their power to lose. Bills are primed to lose big, with Thad Lewis returning to start and nothing to play for, except the crazed home fans in their Neolithic stadium. Pick: Dolphins win very ugly, on a Sherman fourth-and-one call.

Saints at Panthers – Saints are swooning, and are on the road, out of doors, so you should pick Carolina. But the Saints are so talented and resilient. The game will be decided by a simple psychological factor: will the Panthers be overwhelmed by the largeness of the game? Everything is in front of them: NFC south title, home field advantage, a playoff bye. Pick: Cam can do it

Cowboys at Redskins – Shanahan will pull the old Denver offense out of mothballs to accommodate Kirk Cousins. Over under on roll out passes to the TE is 7. Cowboys need this game desperately, but have a defense worse than Iraq during Desert Storm. Cowboys have an offense that can outscore Redskins. Pick: Jerry will visit the sidelines, but Cowboys prevail

Colts at Chiefs – Chiefs skill players will run all over Colts underwhelming defense. Control Mathis and the rest falls into place. Problem is that the Chiefs are beat up themselves. Pick: Chiefs make fewer mistakes and Charles runs all over the place

Bucs at Rams – Two teams left for dead after major issues at QB are playing spirited football late in lost seasons. Rams are building a dominant defense. Pick: Rams

Cards at Seahawks – Cards have put themselves in a position to accomplish big things and can compete for a wildcard. Unfortunately for them, Carson Palmer wilts in big games. And they are at Seattle. This one could get ugly. Pick: Seattle

Steelers at Packers – Steelers don’t quit. Roethlisberger doesn’t quit, even when someone says “No.” Matt Fynn can direct a motley crew for a lot of points against a practice squad defense (Dallas) but not against LeBeau. Tomlin will have a game low zero tackles and McCarthy will wish Rodgers got milk as a kid. Pick: Steelers

Bears at Eagles – Eagles will want to win coming off an awful showing in Minnesota, and have to keep pace with Dallas for next week's showdown. Chicago knows they only need to beat the Packers next week to win the division. Pick: Eagles in a high scoring sloppy game.

Browns at Jets – Does anyone care who wins this game? The winner just gets a lower pick in the draft. Both teams have absurd situations at QB, decent defenses, but Cleveland’s defense has fourth quarter collapses down to a fine art. Packer fans are hoping for a Cleveland win to increase the chances that Rex Ryan will be available for Defensive Coordinator. Pick: Jets by a foot

Vikings at Bengals – Bengals can’t deal with success. Viking seem to be relaxed and enjoying this season’s failure. Marvin Lewis seems to really enjoy watching his team choke seasons away. Still, Bengals are the superior team. In a “where is my glass jawed punter?” special, Pick: Bengals

Broncos at Texans – There really ought to be no drama in this game, except that the Texans are starting to panic, thinking that they might have first choice at Jadeveon Clowney. Is he the real deal? Will he play every down? Will he blow up in their faces? Should they trade down? Maybe life would be simpler if they just win a few down the stretch and get the #2 pick. Oh, wait, they suck. Pick: Denver

Titans at Jaguars – Titans have already decided to completely blow up their team in the offseason, so why not start early? Jaguars have been playing better of late. Pick: Spotted felines

Giants at Lions - Can the Lions seriously lose to this depressed bunch playing out the string? Sure they can. But they won’t. Pick: Lions

Patriots at Ravens – New England keeps winning with smoke and mirrors and Tom Brady. Ravens are a scoring machine, but the machine is only turning out FGs. Over under on attempted FGs is 10. Overunder on yawns is 12. Pick: In a gimpy knee QB special, Ravens by a FG.

Raiders at Chargers – Raiders are playing for their coach’s job. Raiders don’t like their Coach, but they don’t like the Chargers either. McFadden returns but Matthews and the Charger offense is better. Over-under on tackles refused by Charles Woodson: 6. Pick: Bolts

Falcons at Niners – Seriously? Sometimes a forfeit is the merciful thing to do. Good bye Candlestick. Best thing about the place is that it never collapsed from the earthquake damage. Worst thing about the demolition: The site for “The Catch” gets paved over and becomes a back corner office in a corrugated warehouse. Ahh, the memories. Pick: Niners

Ban Crusty!

I would bet that if I authored a thread like this - with less humor but more grammatical errors, of course - my foes would be calling for my head. :)

Nice post, Rand. Norman Chad used to write stuff like this back in the days when he was a real slouch and not too busy broadcasting poker. Funny as hell, this and that.

channtheman
12-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Ban Crusty!

I would bet that if I authored a thread like this - with less humor but more grammatical errors, of course - my foes would be calling for my head. :)

Nice post, Rand. Norman Chad used to write stuff like this back in the days when he was a real slouch and not too busy broadcasting poker. Funny as hell, this and that.

Good thing you quoted the entire OP, otherwise I wouldn't have guessed what you were talking about. ;)

Fun read btw, whoever the fuck you are Crusty.

CaptainKickass
12-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Ban Crusty!

WHOA HEY THERE SLOW DOWN BOY! Now come here for just a second because I am from the Internet Police and you have just committed a thought crime.

http://moneyaccumulator.com/images/Internet-police.jpg

I mean for fucks sake, what the fuck dude!

How can you even THINK about posting any post with less humor and more grammatical errors? You should strive to get more humor and less grammatical errors at all times!

Don't you FEAR the internet police?

http://youtu.be/mNTZxjCmZfo

Joemailman
12-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Dear Cleft,

What does an old washed-up writer like you know about picking football games?

gbgary
12-22-2013, 07:07 AM
great stuff. make this a regular feature...if you're not in a coma of course.

bobblehead
12-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Good thing you quoted the entire OP, otherwise I wouldn't have guessed what you were talking about. ;)

Fun read btw, whoever the fuck you are Crusty.

Crusty is an alias of another poster. I think its well known, but I won't blow his cover just in case he wants it that way.

PS..if you ever read cliff christl at the jsonline before he got too old and too miserable to be useful, its even funnier.

woodbuck27
12-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Crusty is an alias of another poster. I think its well known, but I won't blow his cover just in case he wants it that way.

PS..if you ever read cliff christl at the jsonline before he got too old and too miserable to be useful, its even funnier.

Cleft Crusty aka (blank) is such a mystery.

I don't think so.

If Cleft didn't pick the Packers for todays game Vs the Steelers......he's wrong on a certain level.

GO PACKERS ...GO PACK GO !

Zool
12-23-2013, 10:15 AM
10-5 heading into Monday night. Not bad.

woodbuck27
12-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Cleft Crusty aka (blank) is such a mystery.

I don't think so.

If Cleft didn't pick the Packers for todays game Vs the Steelers......he's wrong on a certain level.

GO PACKERS ...GO PACK GO !

Good call Cleft.

I pushed the Packers and karma as hard as I could last week.

I'm not sure what is left over for this week.

GO PACK GO !