PDA

View Full Version : The last 10 seconds

red
12-23-2013, 06:45 PM
ok, so when someone mentioned this in another thread i just kinda brushed it off

but it seems like there might have been an official f-up up wisconsin-arizona state proportions

i still didn't buy to mush into it, even after seeing the replays, until i read this article

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/5482/beef-over-last-10-seconds-might-be-legit

m3 and EDS say that the refs told EDS that he could not snap the ball until the ump pointed at him. the whistle blows to start the clock, and the ump does nothing, it is not until 3 seconds are left that the ump finally points at EDS and the ball is snapped

this article has the video where you can see the ump finally pointing at three seconds, possibly after the head ref ran up towards the line to remind him to point at EDS

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/officials-told-packers-not-snap-ball-seven-game-205202360--nfl.html?vp=1

woodbuck27
12-23-2013, 06:55 PM
ok, so when someone mentioned this in another thread i just kinda brushed it off

but it seems like there might have been an official f-up up wisconsin-arizona state proportions

i still didn't buy to mush into it, even after seeing the replays, until i read this article

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/5482/beef-over-last-10-seconds-might-be-legit

m3 and EDS say that the refs told EDS that he could not snap the ball until the ump pointed at him. the whistle blows to start the clock, and the ump does nothing, it is not until 3 seconds are left that the ump finally points at EDS and the ball is snapped

this article has the video where you can see the ump finally pointing at three seconds, possibly after the head ref ran up towards the line to remind him to point at EDS

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/officials-told-packers-not-snap-ball-seven-game-205202360--nfl.html?vp=1

Yes I too read an article on that last night before retiring to bed. I'll look again to see what I might have red.

OK It might have been in a LINK that pbmax posted from someone (Maybe?) Packer Beat Writer Jason Wilde's Tweet?; and specifically how Mike McCarthy didn't have a clue about scenarios that didn't eliminate the Packers after the loss to the Steelers. How that Tweeter actually felt embarrassment for Mike McCarthy 's ignorance.

OK I looked and this covers / reveals a lot that may turn ugly on HC Mike McCarthy. I saw it last night and was jumping with anger at how numb MM was throughout this crap. He stood on the sidelines and didn't do a thing to get time back on the clock. Not once but twice as the game was winding down to... it's over ! Mike McCarthy failed to get valuable time back on the clock. I'm still studying this and maybe missing something and what actually took place. I've got the game recorded.

No...MM stood there and did nothing. Never a move to ensure it was all right for his side.

What NFL HC fails to take care of such important stuff? Evidently it's OK for Mike McCarthy to be there. That simply isn't right. What will Mike McCarthy do when he finds himself in a really complicated jam?

I'm checking various sources of things Packers and the shit is beginning to hit the fan.

TT and MM have a major issue to handle pronto and damage control.

OK here's the LINK that covers a lot and it's not pretty on Mike McCarthy. It describes to me a man that's certainly in need of a long rest. Maybe a shift in focus to coach College ball in Texas because he's mucking it up big time now as the Green Bay Packer Head coach.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=12301&is_corp=1

2-minute drill: Steelers 38, Packers 31

By: Jason Wilde ... jwilde@espnwisconsin.com

Yes that's right Jason Wilde. 8-)

a) See the portion of this Article ... Inside the game.

You might be surprized. Then weigh in with this comment below that comes from Mike McCarthy and before you do that 'just maybe' have a barf bucket nearby. When I read it ...well even now reading it I'm nearly sick to my stomach.

I was so sure that our side was going to send that game to OT.

Ahh ...would MM have bypassed that and tries a 2 point conversion like Mike Shanahan did two weeks ago and try to forgo OT if we had scored the six?

This has been one of the strangest of NFL seasons.

See Article Section: Quote, unquote:

" “Really, the message in the locker room, frankly I’m embarrassed by it; I didn’t know Detroit lost the game, so my message was different when I talked to the team. But this team, ‘Team 93’ as I refer to them, they refuse to lose. A ton of fight in them. We needed one more play tonight.” – Packers coach Mike McCarthy, who came into the locker room after the game and apparently acted as if the Packers had been eliminated from playoff contention in his post-game comments to his team. ..." FR. the Article

Comment woodbuck27:

Now doesn't that take the cake and place new meaning on the term:

double talk.

Bullsit Mike McCarthy. Your full of crap Mike McCarthy and this.

If I could go face to face with Mike McCarthy I'd place this on his plate...

Sure Mike...sure, sure.

Your admit your ignorance of your teams position in the standings before that important game. Then you double down on stupid with WTF the fans are stupid so what!

By tossing of your game clock mismanagement in our collective faces. Millions of very bright and seeing feeling Packer fans. Were you begging for 'just one more play', then Mike McCarthy? No way Eh Mike. You owe every Packer fan on this planet a sincere apology....for your silly nonsence and rotten downbeat snarly attitude of late.

The Packer fans are feeling the pain as much as you are Mike.

If us Packer fans don't get a lot sharper we'll be burdened by this man's BS for possibly years to come. Forced to endure a list of negative ways where this man simply isn't seeming to grow away from.

I'll point out just one that's clearly evident here and that's a question RE: Mike McCarthy's honesty.

Maybe it's a fine distinction between clear honesty and clear bullshit.

No...other Packer fans are seeing it and clear to express their outrage without being attacked or ridiculed for simply being true to their Packer fan freedom (s).

*** "they refuse to lose. A ton of fight in them." Mike McCarthy

Comment woodbuck27:

Well Mike why don't you get on the same page as them....your Packer players... the team. Help out by doing something as vital as 'proper game clock management' or did you need to go for a piss and end that game ASAP?

Mike McCarthy: One more thing. Did you ever really hope or plan to win that game? After your BS above that question is certainly appropriate.

Now try to find Ted Thompson and discuss some form of apology and certainly some damage control.

Thanks, Michael...Have a super week. Pay attention to a need to defeat the Bears and some certain clock management would help to that end.

GO PACK GO !

PS...WOW ! Glad I got that out of me. That was mild.

If I had of gone there last night my post would have exploded the forum! I was so pissed off.

pbmax
12-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Flynn said the ump came up to him and said the clock was wound. That must have been the 7 second mark I noted they allowed EDS to handle the ball.

Rodgers12
12-23-2013, 07:05 PM
The zebras were cold and they wanted to go some place warm.

I still think Flynn was an idiot for NOT lining up under center to spike the ball right away. If he had, the zebras might've gotten together for a conference call for the 30th time in the game and correct the error of their ways.

Guiness
12-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Yes, looks pretty obvious what happened there, and I think you're right red, the head ref had to remind him to point. The whistle at 10 seconds is clearly heard on the video, but I assume that's because the ref is mic'd up.

They had to immediately realize the mistake, why wouldn't they blow it all dead before the ball was snapped, reset the clock and start again? Should the clock have even been running before the snap? (I don't know the answer to that last one...)

woodbuck27
12-23-2013, 08:51 PM
The zebras were cold and they wanted to go some place warm.

I still think Flynn was an idiot for NOT lining up under center to spike the ball right away. If he had, the zebras might've gotten together for a conference call for the 30th time in the game and correct the error of their ways.

Matt Flynn 'only' does what MM tells him to do.

MM to Matt Flynn on the final play >>> errchh ...Matt Do you hear me? .... Lotta crowd noice ...can you hear me? Matt are you out there ....it's Mike. You hearing me >>> Ohh WTHeck !!

Try mmmm, just a second, mmmm, looking...OK the play >>>It's

13 - 30 - over - west - back corner - swing - highlight reel - pass play >>> errchh !

Fricken' head set >>> OK Matt ! >>> Did you get that?>>> Frick it then ! >>> Just do fricken' something. Just do it !

woodbuck27
12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Here we go:

http://www.packersnews.com/proart/20131223/pkr0101/131223043/mccarthy-explains-his-post-game-speech?pagerestricted=1

McCarthy explains his post game speech.

Comment woodbuck27

What's he saying here that's different than what he originally said here below?

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/...2301&is_corp=1

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
12-23-2013, 11:24 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/proart/20131223/pkr0101/131223042/mccarthy-wishes-officiating-mechanics-were-intact-last-play?pagerestricted=1

McCarthy wishes officiating mechanics were intact last play.

Comment woodbuck27:

I wish for a lot of things Packers to be intact this week.

One of those has the initials: A and R. :grin:

woodbuck27
12-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 4h
Man, oh man. The more I talked with @RobDemovsky and looked at the final :10, the more I'm sure the #NFL is lucky the outcome didn't matter.

Little Whiskey
12-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Another thing I noticed. The false start happens between 24 and 23 seconds. The packers continue to run the play while the whistle is blown and the clock continues to run down to 20 seconds. Since a false start immediately stops the play why didn the ref reset the clock to 23 seconds then take the 10second run off? Leaving the packers with 13 seconds.

Guiness
12-24-2013, 01:33 AM
Man, oh man. The more I talked with @RobDemovsky and looked at the final :10, the more I'm sure the #NFL is lucky the outcome didn't matter.

lucky? He's an idiot if he thinks the NFL determining it was a mistake would result in anything but an admission, and potentially an apology. The league will never, ever, reverse a decision that is in the books, no matter how blatantly wrong it is. Forget the Fail Mary, it pales in comparison to Testaverde's helmet touchdown.

pbmax
12-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Does anyone remember the refs putting time back on a clock because of a play that was halted after the ball was snapped?

I have seen them ask the clock operator to reset the clock to X, but never for the express purpose of correcting the time it took for the penalty to halt the clock. Maybe it just happens automatically, but I am unsure how they would even calculate it without replay.

Cheesehead Craig
12-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Woody,
I don't believe that MM could have done anything to get the officials to stop the clock at that time. Doing so would have given the Packers another timeout essentially and the officials were not going to allow that.

From what I've seen and heard, coaches also don't ever admit that they follow what the playoff scenarios are. They always give the patent line of "we can only control our game and let the rest play itself out, we don't worry about it", or something along those lines. So I don't think it's as big of a deal. I can see why you would though as I'm sure he does know.

If the story is true, the refs messed up. But the Packers gave up 38 pts and put themselves in a bad situation so it's not all on the officials. Yes the officials collectively have stunk this year but teams shouldn't get into a situation where the offical has to make a call at the very end of the game that has such weight.

bobblehead
12-24-2013, 09:03 AM

It sure as hell did matter...to the steelers.

bobblehead
12-24-2013, 09:06 AM
The officials also gave us a TD on that batting call. The steelers had the ball with a knee down when he tried to lateral the ball. That should have been the end of the play. Even if the batting gets enforced, the result should have been steelers ball. We got the ball and a 1st, and scored a TD we never should have.

denverYooper
12-24-2013, 09:07 AM

Yeah, but if the Packers went on to win then the problem would be the weird batted ball penalty and the Steeler nation would have been upset. Both teams got some gifts on this day.

The other thing is, I wonder if Flynn made the throw to Boykin thinking that he had to get rid of the ball quickly so they could get 2 plays off if need be. I know the announcers were all over him for missing Jordy but I'm assuming the clock in his head was sped up in an effort to get the ball out.

denverYooper
12-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Hell, I hope the Steelers go on to make the playoffs too. Tomlin's one of my favorite coaches.

pbmax
12-24-2013, 09:22 AM
The officials also gave us a TD on that batting call. The steelers had the ball with a knee down when he tried to lateral the ball. That should have been the end of the play. Even if the batting gets enforced, the result should have been steelers ball. We got the ball and a 1st, and scored a TD we never should have.

That just makes up for the botched fumble call and Tramontana TD.

red
12-24-2013, 09:35 AM

the batted ball fiasco was a mess and a horrible call, and it was even worse that they couldn't review it

but, the batted ball mess doesn't even happen if they let the steelers fumble play out, instead of blowing it dead, like PB said

they took a TD away from us, and they gave one back, but made us work for it

the refs were just flat out horrible in the game, both ways

Fosco33
12-24-2013, 09:36 AM

Well... if the play on the field of the original fumble was let to play - it may have been a TD by the defense.

Fosco33
12-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Apparently all of us thought that. Ha

Kiwon
12-24-2013, 09:49 AM
They had to immediately realize the mistake, why wouldn't they blow it all dead before the ball was snapped, reset the clock and start again?

Because they didn't have to. You see this more often at the end of a game (NFL or NBA) when there is a clear foul that isn't called. Paul Pierce, a very smart basketball player, was in textbook position to draw a charge last week and disqualify a made shot at the buzzer. Instead, there was no call and the shot was the game winner.

The ref and the back judge in the Packers game and the side judge in the Redskins game a few weeks ago had to know they blew it big time. Why didn't they step up and rectify it right then and there? Human nature, I guess.

That's why I appreciate the golfers that will give themselves stroke penalities when no official is present. That's integrity.

pbmax
12-24-2013, 10:22 AM
The NFL (and NBA for that matter) create these conflicts when they issues their marching orders. The NFL doesn't want (and indeed may penalize refs) who take a TO near the end of a half or game because the team in distress gets an additional TO. That precisely what Tripplette said after the Washington game fiasco.

When the Leagues stop asking the refs to monitor the atmospherics of the game, the reffing will be better.

ThunderDan
12-24-2013, 12:16 PM
That just makes up for the botched fumble call and Tramontana TD.

Absolutely, that whole fumble play still has me steamed.

The refs hadn't even blown the play dead or moved in to mark the runners spot when Williams puts the ball across the goal line. The refs didn't have a clue. Then they huddle and decide it was down by contact. They hadn't blown the play dead, how is it down by contact? The didn't know there was a fumble until Tramon stuck the ball across the goal line.

MJZiggy
12-24-2013, 05:04 PM
It sure as hell did matter...to the steelers.
If we had won, wouldn't we be in the playoffs regardless whether we win this week?

Freak Out
12-24-2013, 05:10 PM
It's just been one of those years.

red
12-24-2013, 05:12 PM
If we had won, wouldn't we be in the playoffs regardless whether we win this week?

nope, even if we ad won last week we would still have to beat the bears to make it.

we would have had a half game lead over the bears if we had beat the steelers and the bears still lost

pbmax
12-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Wel, its official. The officials screwed up:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131227/PKR01/312270338/Notebook-NFL-confirms-officials-erred-final-play

woodbuck27
12-27-2013, 11:06 PM

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131227/PKR01/312270338/Notebook-NFL-confirms-officials-erred-final-play

What a shocker.

The Officials have been royaly screwing up in way too many games throughout the schedule. It's so fricken scary how they muddle muck up games.

woodbuck27
12-28-2013, 11:21 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMn2W_gvgzUm0CT2FlSEduKwIgxsZtF lWkQ8BMYJz_zffWkwUvXQ

woodbuck27
12-28-2013, 11:26 PM

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDn3Rhvbe2td9QkT_gFVTKHFJKWAFdj IyZm-7eTw3FYALNnE8vAQ