PDA

View Full Version : PLAYOFFS WITH A DISHEARTENING LOSS OR DRAFT PICK ?

Bretsky
12-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Assume Rodgers is done. Would you choose to make the playoffs and lose handily or take the better draft pick ?

Bretsky
12-25-2013, 12:15 AM
A nice stir the pot poll and I'm curious to see how it turns out. Let's assume TT shuts AROD down for the season. Indications are that might be the case. Now you get to choose the Packers fate with a couple scenarios attached with it. Do you choose to win with the assumption that we take a hard one and done loss in round one....thinking we're f'cked do you choose to lose and get a draft pick 5-7 picks higher......would you choose to take the loss if it means Slocum was fired...................or do you take the win because you honest believe Matt Flynn can take this team all the way (sorry...I think I had to create a fourth option)

George Cumby
12-25-2013, 12:36 AM
The Fire Slocum was too much for me to pass up.

sharpe1027
12-25-2013, 02:07 AM
Take every win you can, then fire Slocum.

mraynrand
12-25-2013, 03:26 AM
disappointed there are (as of now) four total idiots who would vote to lose to the Bears. Even though it's Christmas I say to blazes with you! Jesus loves you even though I hate your guts.

woodbuck27
12-25-2013, 08:55 AM
disappointed there are (as of now) four total idiots who would vote to lose to the Bears. Even though it's Christmas I say to blazes with you! Jesus loves you even though I hate your guts.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkwmap3cyr4_9i1jFZdqCJvDwgTj7IN VAHJh5RR492zXVkrNfk

Stewie says:

Read the option mraynrand. Ignoring Post 1's criteria and strictly focusing on the Poll options.

READ ... " A loss to the Bears in painful, but I'll take the loss and a draft pick 5-7 slots higher."

There is nothing in that option that says:

Trade a win for a higher draft pick. It clearly says that a loss to the Bears is painful ; if that happens 'the silver lining' is a higher draft pick.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTg_-J1xHCBKojavXEbP7rgnC0vnk_qB_Vyu2-KIqma2Yax5TH8ow

GOT IT !!? Didn't Santa bring you any 'be cool' or 'be smart' cookies? Yaa can't get them down at the Walmart.

If not ... THAT SUCKS BIG WIND !

All the same... Merry Christmas means be merry to all gentleman and ladies ...OK!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS09STfv0v3xuJ5-5avAJNAw5UzvJlRQASTjZBeQyDLf_hCljeg

So mraynrand.. Merry Christmas.

denverYooper
12-25-2013, 09:41 AM
I went with Flynn for the win. All the way if need be.

McCarthy's Packers don't play scared!

The Shadow
12-25-2013, 09:53 AM
NEVER lose to the Bears.
Go in with all guns blazing!

red
12-25-2013, 10:09 AM
well, even if we do lose and get a higher draft pick, i have total faith in TT trading down with that higher pick so he can grab a couple of 6th or 7th rounder

so i don't know if drafting a 5 or 6 spots higher even matters to be honest

or he'll just draft some no name project guy from bumble-fuck U, who everyone else thought would go in the third and pass over a guy like CJ mosley to do it

bobblehead
12-25-2013, 10:21 AM
I am positive we don't win any playoff games from the couch, so trounce the bears, break their fans' hearts and play every game like its your last. I wouldn't cheer for a team that took any other approach.

Rodgers12
12-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Remember when the Titans roamed the earth and Jeff Hostetler replaced an injured, future Hall of Famer (Phil Simms) and subsequently led the Little Giants to a Super Bowl victory?

Have a little faith in Matt Flynn!

I picked Option A.

Bretsky
12-25-2013, 10:45 AM
When I was young I remember cheering for the Cardinals to beat the Packers so we would get Troy Aikman. We upset them and won so we ended up with Tony Mandarich
I'm also a Milwaukee Bucks Fan, but I fully understand that team is prett much hopeless for a while unless they hit it big in the lottery near term. I was them to get the #1 pick

Accepting a win at the cost of getting a better quality player for this team to reload next year and make a deep run is a very viable option IMO. I'm all about the playoffs if we have a chance. If we don't I'm fine with the the draft pick and watch the Bears go one and done in the playoffs instead of us.

woodbuck27
12-25-2013, 10:56 AM
That's exactly where I am B.

Of course you go for the win.Thrash the Bears but if that doesn't go down you have that better draft pick.

Now... that's all awash if TT uses it to trade down or takes that shot at another Big Man on defense; where he's about as fortunate as a turkey hunter in a duck blind.

GO PACK GO !

ThunderDan
12-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Playoffs or bust is the goal every year!

I can't stand losing to the Bears even if it meant we got the first pick in the draft and he was a for sure 10 year Pro Bowler and Hall of Famer.

bobblehead
12-25-2013, 01:56 PM
When I was young I remember cheering for the Cardinals to beat the Packers so we would get Troy Aikman. We upset them and won so we ended up with Tony Mandarich
I'm also a Milwaukee Bucks Fan, but I fully understand that team is prett much hopeless for a while unless they hit it big in the lottery near term. I was them to get the #1 pick

Accepting a win at the cost of getting a better quality player for this team to reload next year and make a deep run is a very viable option IMO. I'm all about the playoffs if we have a chance. If we don't I'm fine with the the draft pick and watch the Bears go one and done in the playoffs instead of us.

What if the Cowboys had taken Mandarich with the #1. It was debatable at the time. What if they had shored up the all important LT position instead? What if the packers had taken any other player at #2. Deion, Barry, or Derrick Thomas? What if the Bucks had taken Grant Hill instead of Big Dog? Getting a pick 4-5 spots higher guarantees nothing.

Edit: Missing the playoffs guarantees we don't win the superbowl this year, but does not assure us a better player, much less future success.

Upnorth
12-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Playoffs means beating the Bears, so that should be happy no brainer IMO. Further since this is Wednesday and Christmas day I believe Santa will bring us a nice big fire Slocum by default.

Pugger
12-25-2013, 02:59 PM
NEVER lose to the Bears.
Go in with all guns blazing!

GMTA

I'd rather us make the playoffs and get bounced out in the WC round over the Bears winning this division.

esoxx
12-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Never stand down to the Bears. You play to win the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-iJUuPWis

Willard
12-25-2013, 03:50 PM

Problem is moving up 5 picks doesn't necessarily translate into a better quality player. It is possible, but certainly not a lock. I need a lot more assurances before finding any silver lining in losing to the fucking bears.

Bossman641
12-25-2013, 03:59 PM
I hate the bears much more than I hate dropping in the draft. It's not like we are talking the difference between the first and seventh picks either

HarveyWallbangers
12-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Problem is moving up 5 picks doesn't necessarily translate into a better quality player. It is possible, but certainly not a lock. I need a lot more assurances before finding any silver lining in losing to the fucking bears.

This.

bobblehead
12-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Never stand down to the Bears. You play to win the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-iJUuPWis

well put

pbmax
12-26-2013, 09:10 AM
willard for President.

Cheesehead Craig
12-26-2013, 09:12 AM

Hell yeah!

pbmax
12-26-2013, 09:15 AM

Always remember the cautionary tale of Sam Bowie. Or JaMarcus Russell. Or Aundray Bruce.

Packers4Glory
12-26-2013, 03:09 PM
playoffs every time. You just never know what da fruck will happen once you're in. Get hot, get a little luck, and bam you're playing in the super bowl. offensively with Rodgers we can be in every game. It's really a matter of how much the defense can bring as well as special teams.

Get into the Super Bowl this yr then all bets are off because the weather is likely to be shitty and oh whats that? Yeah motherfuckers we have a running game...a power running game at that. Our line and our running back is made for bad weather. Would I want to face, say Manning, in a dome or nice weather? hell no! we'd get our doors blown off! Play in NYC in Feb and I'll take our chances. Getting there is going to be harder than winning it as crazy that might sound.

Packers4Glory
12-26-2013, 03:11 PM
PS:

Fuck the bears and their fans. I'd love nothing more to once again bounce them out of the playoffs on their home shitty turf. I like the radio around here much better after they lose...especially to the Packers. I won't be able to take the fans on facebook and the radio if they should win sunday.

mraynrand
12-26-2013, 03:16 PM
The only team/place combination that worries me is at New Orleans. I think Seattle and SF are better teams, but are beatable. GB and Carolina are even. Need to watch the Cards - haven't seen them play in a while, but they probably don't get in. Philly is a complete mystery to me - I don't understand why teams get blown away by them.

pbmax
12-26-2013, 03:17 PM
The only team/place combination that worries me is at New Orleans. I think Seattle and SF are better teams, but are beatable. GB and Carolina are even. Need to watch the Cards - haven't seen them play in a while, but they probably don't get in. Philly is a complete mystery to me - I don't understand why teams get blown away by them.

If Carolina gets the South crown, then Saints are the wild card and the game would be at Lambeau.

bobblehead
12-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Always remember the cautionary tale of Sam Bowie. Or JaMarcus Russell. Or Aundray Bruce.

Didn't Aundray Bruce fail so miserably that they tried to make him a TE?

bobblehead
12-26-2013, 08:08 PM

Because they run the ball early, often and well. Teams offenses don't get into a rhythm sitting on the sidelines.

woodbuck27
12-26-2013, 08:15 PM

Philly looks like a bunch of Track Stars on a football team. This team is extremely athletic.

If Rodgers and Cobb come back strong we can overcome so much bad on defense. I'm so glad their back but we needed time to get hot. For the packer locker room to feel that positive. To carry the power of that wave from one game to the next.

PACKERS >>> PLayoffs !

Fritz
12-26-2013, 08:29 PM
PS:

Fuck the bears and their fans. I'd love nothing more to once again bounce them out of the playoffs on their home shitty turf. I like the radio around here much better after they lose...especially to the Packers. I won't be able to take the fans on facebook and the radio if they should win sunday.

Fuck the Bears, and their mothers, and anybody that looks like them.

mraynrand
12-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Because they run the ball early, often and well. Teams offenses don't get into a rhythm sitting on the sidelines.

that's weird; their TOP has been low in a lot of games. I thought their MO was to run teams off the field via exhaustion from quick snaps. their TOP compared to opponents averages: 26:10 to 33:49. But they do run the ball a lot.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Packers are not going to beat any good teams, their D is awful.

I don't care if they make the playoffs, because it will lead to a miserable game, in all likelihood.

I don't care about the Packers, I care about me - me, me, me. It's 100% about maximizing my pleasure. Watching a Packer game and cheering against them is not fun.

So the only total win I see is for the Packers to whup the tar out of the Bears, and then become disqualified from the playoffs because of some horrible scandal.

Freak Out
12-27-2013, 02:37 AM
Its going to be an interesting game this Sunday. Is Rodgers rusty enough that it affects the offense significantly? Will the Bares come to play after getting sodomized on national TV?

Lets GO!!!!!

Fritz
12-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Its going to be an interesting game this Sunday. Is Rodgers rusty enough that it affects the offense significantly? Will the Bares come to play after getting sodomized on national TV?

Lets GO!!!!!

It's going to be a typical, dirty, ugly, Packers-Bears game.

It's not going to be pretty. Lots of ugly plays. But both teams will be scratching and clawing. I expect a tight game, one which causes me to do a lot of cursing.

Bossman641
12-27-2013, 06:37 AM
that's weird; their TOP has been low in a lot of games. I thought their MO was to run teams off the field via exhaustion from quick snaps. their TOP compared to opponents averages: 26:10 to 33:49. But they do run the ball a lot.

Philly's TOP is extremely low because they quick snap the ball and score on a lot of <5 play possessions. For that reason their defense faces a ton of snaps. Key against them would be to keep pounding their D and tire them out and hope for a few defensive stops.

bobblehead
12-27-2013, 06:50 AM

But they rarely get 3 and outs. They control the tempo of the game and force opposing D's to defend a ton of plays. Although I am surprised their TOP is so low, they still seem to be controlling the rhythm. I would have bet they were winning TOP battles. Perhaps this matter needs more looking into.

Pugger
12-27-2013, 08:19 AM
PS:

If you venture onto their forums they want that little shit to break Aaron's collarbone again. :no:

pbmax
12-27-2013, 09:17 AM

Their calling card is number of snaps on offense not TOP.

What has happened in Philly, beside Foles over Vick, was the steady improvement of the D this year. Early, it was a tire fire and is now leveling offenses.

mraynrand
12-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Philly's TOP is extremely low because they quick snap the ball and score on a lot of <5 play possessions. For that reason their defense faces a ton of snaps. Key against them would be to keep pounding their D and tire them out and hope for a few defensive stops.

That was pretty much the Packers game plan. Throwing a pick six and having a 10-14 point turn around kinda kills that whole strategy!

Cheesehead Craig
12-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Their calling card is number of snaps on offense not TOP.

What has happened in Philly, beside Foles over Vick, was the steady improvement of the D this year. Early, it was a tire fire and is now leveling offenses.

I'd argue that Foles is 90% of the change in Philly.

pbmax
12-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I'd argue that Foles is 90% of the change in Philly.

He's the most obvious and a good offense will help the D, but the D is as different from the beginning of season to now as night and day.