PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a DC or OC? Note this advice - 3 out of 4 Bills = BAD !

woodbuck27
12-27-2013, 11:35 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1901831-who-are-the-nfls-worst-playcallers?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Who Are the NFL's Worst Play-Callers?

By Michael Schottey (NFL National Lead Writer) on December 26, 2013

Here's a good read.

Is there anything here that instructs/informs you RE: This question of replacing Green Bay Packer Coach (s) ?

ie

i) Maybe!? Look at this specifically in terms of Dom Capers.

His background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Capers

ii) Does this help you change your mind about ST's Coach Shawn Slocum?

His background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Slocum

GO PACKERS !

pbmax
12-27-2013, 11:54 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1901831-who-are-the-nfls-worst-playcallers?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Who Are the NFL's Worst Play-Callers?

By Michael Schottey (NFL National Lead Writer) on December 26, 2013

Here's a good read.

Is there anything here that instructs/informs you RE: This question of replacing Green Bay Packer Coach (s) ?

ie

i) Maybe!? Look at this specifically in terms of Dom Capers.

His background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_Capers

ii) Does this help you change your mind about ST's Coach Shawn Slocum?

His background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Slocum

GO PACKERS !

That article has a few flaws, and they point out the difficulty of judging the job of the play caller.

For instance, several times in the second half, the Cowboys had a run called and the smoke/flash/package check or option was a pass. If Romo gets one kind of D or unknown, he runs the run. If he sees the box stacked, he throws. Its not Callahan making that call. Its Garrett giving Romo that kind of rope. You know, the kind of rope Jerry Jones wanted him to have all last offseason?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/15/tony-romo-plans-to-change-more-plays-at-the-line-of-scrimmage/

This is yet another reminder that Jones does not really understand what he is doing. If someone was simultaneously running his wells faster while spilling more of the output, Jones would understand the need to stop the carnage. But he doesn't see the circular effect of all his half-measures on his football team.

woodbuck27
12-27-2013, 12:03 PM
That article has a few flaws, and they point out the difficulty of judging the job of the play caller.

For instance, several times in the second half, the Cowboys had a run called and the smoke/flash/package check or option was a pass. If Romo gets one kind of D or unknown, he runs the run. If he sees the box stacked, he throws. Its not Callahan making that call. Its Garrett giving Romo that kind of rope. You know, the kind of rope Jerry Jones wanted him to have all last offseason?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/15/tony-romo-plans-to-change-more-plays-at-the-line-of-scrimmage/

This is yet another reminder that Jones does not really understand what he is doing. If someone was simultaneously running his wells faster while spilling more of the output, Jones would understand the need to stop the carnage. But he doesn't see the circular effect of all his half-measures on his football team.

I understood it that way also pbmax and specific to that case.

run pMc
12-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Interesting article. Yeah, the howling about Callahan and Musgrave has been loud.

FWIW McGinn has commented that, based on talking to personnel people in the league, Capers is a Top 5 or Top 10 DC and would get snapped up in a heartbeat by any of several teams if M3 cut him loose.
I guess we can be glad his first name isn't Bill.

woodbuck27
12-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Interesting article. Yeah, the howling about Callahan and Musgrave has been loud.

FWIW McGinn has commented that, based on talking to personnel people in the league, Capers is a Top 5 or Top 10 DC and would get snapped up in a heartbeat by any of several teams if M3 cut him loose.

I can see Dom purchasing that one-way flight ticket to Dallas right now.

bobblehead
12-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Jerrah only knows how to win by bilking people. First he made his millions bilking people in the S & L scandal/crisis and then he bilked the Vikings (which is a little humorous cuz its the vikings) into giving him all their draft picks for several years in a John Hadl type deal.

bobblehead
12-27-2013, 01:02 PM

Maybe true. There were a lot of people who thought the earth was flat too. I still think some of Capers problems are that he has to gameplan with stubby's help. Stubby has a bigger priority on stopping big plays than he does on stopping first downs. That leads to a tired 4th quarter defense, and a lot of field goals.

woodbuck27
12-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Maybe true. There were a lot of people who thought the earth was flat too. I still think some of Capers problems are that he has to gameplan with stubby's help. Stubby has a bigger priority on stopping big plays than he does on stopping first downs. That leads to a tired 4th quarter defense, and a lot of field goals.

Now it's complicated or.... is it?:

I) Keep both of them

ii) Get rid of one of them

iii) Which one do your get rid of?

iv) That's easy..... and that would be....?

v) Getting rid of both of them isn't an option.

PACKERS FUTURE !

pbmax
12-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Jerrah only knows how to win by bilking people. First he made his millions bilking people in the S & L scandal/crisis and then he bilked the Vikings (which is a little humorous cuz its the vikings) into giving him all their draft picks for several years in a John Hadl type deal.

Its a classic meddlesome but experienced manager problem. He sees the problem on the field and hears from outside people how they stopped it.

He imposes that rule on his staff and sees another leak develop instead of a water proof ship.

It doesn't occur to him that his staff know more, and make more adjustments on the fly, than he can ever imagine. And that most of those he is talking to, including GMs and scouts, don't see the game like that. His rule doesn't fit the staff, their experience, personnel or scheme choices. So if Jerry wants it to succeed, he has to rule on all those other factors as well.

Meanwhile, every opponent can out adjust Jerry's scheme, personnel, and adjustments in game while Jerry is in the owner's box. He has made his D staff ineffective unless they overrule him, which is usually a ticket out of town and most will choose to go along and pick their own time to leave.

Jerry's problem isn't that he is GM. Its that to cover for the GM, he also becomes the HC, OC and DC. Its mission creep.

pbmax
12-27-2013, 02:56 PM

I dunno about that. Maybe Top 10. McCarthy had a lot of top DCs in for interviews at the end of 09. Nolan, Williams with Haslett on standby. Capers came in after them and there was not a bidding war. Packers job was considered attractive because of McCarthy's success with the offense and the QBs in particular. Capers might have had other offers, but I don't remember hearing he had offers to choose from. Nolan and Williams did.

KYPack
12-27-2013, 03:11 PM

Jerruh wasn't involved in the S&L crisis.

Like most rich Texans & Okies, he was in the oil bidness.

He was a real wizard at it, too.

Joemailman
12-27-2013, 04:17 PM

Getting off topic here, but just for clarification...

Jones bought the Cowboys from Bum Bright, who had lost a ton of money in the S&L crisis. So indirectly Jones may have benefited from the crisis because Bright needed to sell the Cowboys. I don't know that he was actually involved in the crisis though.

mraynrand
12-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Getting off topic here,

Really, is that possible? To what topic exactly are you referring?

bobblehead
12-27-2013, 04:58 PM

Now you are in my area of expertise. Jerrah is a crook of the first order and was hip deep in S&L theft.

KYPack
12-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Now you are in my area of expertise. Jerrah is a crook of the first order and was hip deep in S&L theft.

I can't say Jones didn't get any loans during the S&L crisis, but he was NOT a major player in the scandal ala Jim McDougal or Neil Bush.

Jones was a wheeler dealer in the Oil and Gas arena, & he was one slick bastard at it.

if you have info on Jones being a mover and shaker in the S&L crisis, I'll look at it.

The guy he bought the Cowboys from lost his ass in the S&L crisis so Jerruh could buy 'em, if that's what you mean.

bobblehead
12-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Just the one thing I know off the top of my head goes like this (mind you we are talking 25 years ago, I was in college, my exact memory and names are fuzzy at this point.)

Jones got appointed to a board of an S&L that handles a lot of real estate deals. One such deal that the S&L acquired was a land with natural gas. Jerry used a sub corp to buy the land, drill for gas, make a ton of money and then sold it back to the S&L. I can't even count how many legal rules were broken, much less ethical ones.

1) Jerry and the S&L knew damn well there was a ton of gas on the land, but sold it for $15 million to Jerry with out opening it to bidding.
2) Thus they ripped off everyone with a stake to the land, and anyone who had a stake in the S&L
3) When damn near all the gas was gone, Jerry sold it back to....the same S&L (that he was on the board of) for $175 million thus ripping all stakeholders off a second time.

I have no idea what Jerry made in oil, but I can guesstimate that he made about $300 million in this crooked deal alone. He may have been brilliant in oil...or he may have made his money the same way he made millions in this deal.

pbmax
12-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Just the one thing I know off the top of my head goes like this (mind you we are talking 25 years ago, I was in college, my exact memory and names are fuzzy at this point.)

Jones got appointed to a board of an S&L that handles a lot of real estate deals. One such deal that the S&L acquired was a land with natural gas. Jerry used a sub corp to buy the land, drill for gas, make a ton of money and then sold it back to the S&L. I can't even count how many legal rules were broken, much less ethical ones.

1) Jerry and the S&L knew damn well there was a ton of gas on the land, but sold it for $15 million to Jerry with out opening it to bidding.
2) Thus they ripped off everyone with a stake to the land, and anyone who had a stake in the S&L
3) When damn near all the gas was gone, Jerry sold it back to....the same S&L (that he was on the board of) for $175 million thus ripping all stakeholders off a second time.

I have no idea what Jerry made in oil, but I can guesstimate that he made about $300 million in this crooked deal alone. He may have been brilliant in oil...or he may have made his money the same way he made millions in this deal.

We are in dangerous territory going back this far in my memory, but wasn't this kind of self-dealing a significant portion of the problem in the S&L crisis? Jones might have been slightly different as he was only interested in drilling rights, but I believe this kind of self deal was common.

The overall problem was the collapse of commercial real estate and their exposure to that market (deregulation allowed S&L's to venture into this territory very aggressively), but because inflated prices kept income and profits soaring, the boards started to concoct deals for themselves since the books would look good with climbing prices.

Selling it back to the S&L is just astonishing.

woodbuck27
12-28-2013, 01:27 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR60GVjooTq-t1l85RRhK1pyN042sZ900GDAjcydI5JmyLFn2HY

Something has gone wrong with this thread.