PDA

View Full Version : For all those predicting a losing season

Terry
08-27-2006, 08:41 AM
They might not be Super, but Packers could prove some critics wrong

Written by Dave Begel - OnMilwaukee.com
Friday, 25 August 2006

I suppose I should have expected it, but I'm getting buried under an avalanche of expert opinion regarding the Green Bay Packers.

Basically the party line goes something like this: "They aren't as bad as they were against the Chargers and aren't as good as they were against the Falcons."

I'm getting hit with it on television, newspapers and radio and in coffee shops, grocery stores and gas stations, which should tell you something, at the very least, about the level of interest in our baseball team. It's almost like once the bandwagon got rolling in a certain direction everybody climbed on. And this bandwagon was headed in the direction of lowered expectations for this football team. Nobody seems to think this football team will be any good.

And like most bandwagons, I think this one is wrong. I think this football team is showing many of the signs of being an amazing surprise.

I've seen lots and lots of football in my day. I mean lots of football. I've watched games from the press box, stands, sidelines and once from the Goodyear blimp.

I've watched games with players. I've broken down game and practice film with coaches. I've studied film with scouts. I've had guys who know a lot about the game teach me stuff.

And over the years, I've gotten a pretty good idea what's good and what's not so good on a football field. I'm pretty sure I couldn't be a coach. But I can be a top-flight recognizer.

All during the off-season I've been saying this team is not as bad as the 4-12 record of last year would indicate and that Brett Favre is not nearly as bad as his statistics would indicate.

After watching this team in a couple of practices and a couple of exhibition games, it's pretty clear that the people who expect the Packers to fall on their faces this season are going to be in for a big shock.

For example, I really think I'm going to like this offense. The Packers appear committed to running the ball with the new zone-blocking scheme. And they also appear able to run the ball. Not spectacularly. But effectively. And what that does for Favre is extremely significant. When he is surrounded by a team that both can, and does, run the ball, he is one of the best quarterbacks in the entire league.

That offensive line looks mean and nasty, if a little uncertain at times. But mean and nasty can make up for a lot of uncertainty. Najeh Davenport, of all people, looks like he can run behind this line if he stays healthy and the Packers have enough tight ends to form a chorus line. With the emerging Greg Jennings teaming with Donald Driver, the Packers have a couple of very good wide receivers.

And they have Favre, who doesn't look like he's lost a thing. I know it's fashionable to bash him and I've watched him closely. I don't think he's lost anything. He's still got fairly quick feet, his arm is strong, his courage is unquestioned, his judgment is colorful and his flair is still unique. If things fall well, he could have a spectacular year.

The defense looks to be much better with a stronger and faster defensive line, a young, aggressive, speedy and hard-hitting linebacking corps and a defensive backfield that may be one of the best since in a decade or more. The additions of Ryan Pickett, Charles Woodson and A. J. Hawk should have a major impact. After watching the plodding defense of the last couple of years, I'm stunned to see how these guys run.

I'm not saying the Packers are going to win the Super Bowl this year. But I am saying that those experts who are writing them off already are just trying to make noise and get headlines. This team is going to be a lot better than people expected.

Their schedule is one of the weakest in the NFL and there are lots of steps to be taken between here and there. But I think this has the makings of a pretty good football team. Last year was filled with enough bad luck for a couple of years. If they get a break or two this year, or at least avoid the catastrophic bad luck, they could easily be a playoff team with home field advantage most of the way.

So, don't let all these gloom merchants have their way with you. Don't be afraid to like this team, because I think your affection will be rewarded.

Scott Campbell
08-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Does Tex have a new pen name?

Rastak
08-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Does Tex have a new pen name?

If he mentioned bad luck and morons and disloyal writers I'd say that's probably true......

fan4life
08-27-2006, 09:21 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself. This team is young, so there will be a number of, "What the h&*} was that!" mistakes, but they will get past those and surprise a lot of people.

One JSO writer said this team looks a lot like the 1992 Packers. Well maybe..... but there's one big difference: the 2006 QB is not some half-drunk kid who's got more talent and hubris than savvy. He may not be able to run around like he did 1992, but he can spot a coverage mistake and pick apart a defense in a split second.

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 09:35 AM
...his judgment is colorful...

BOMNF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a GREAT description!!!!

packrulz
08-27-2006, 09:37 AM
This Monday night game will be a good indicator of the season, most of the starters will be playing most of the game. M3 wants them to start getting in shape to go the whole 60 minutes against the Bears. Go Pack!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-27-2006, 10:19 AM
"they could easily be a playoff team with home field advantage most of the way"

I wouldn't go as far as to say this team could have home field through out the playoffs, but I do think we are a playoff team. If you say this team can get home field through out the playoff, anything less than a super bowl would be a failure.

wist43
08-27-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't know where this guy got the impression they could run the ball. The "starting" unit hasn't been able to generate any sort of a running game at all - none.

Yes, they're young, and will continue to improve. But it's going to take time. And while this team is trying to learn how to run the football, Favre is going to have to carry the load - with suspect protection, and too many question marks in the receiving corp.

Add to that the fact that the defense can't rush the passer (the #2 defensive prerequisite IMO), and you have a football team that is lacking in 2 of the most critical areas of the game:

1) Run the ball effectively, and control the clock
2) Stop the run
3) Rush the passer

Green Bay has proven they can't do #1 and #3, and we have no idea if they can effectively do #2.

To me, that doesn't add up to a winning formula. Hopefully the Packers will improve as the year goes on, but I certainly don't expect a winning season.

Tarlam!
08-27-2006, 12:11 PM
That was 4 things, Wist, that you linked into 3. You always were careless!

Willard
08-27-2006, 12:26 PM
.... the most critical areas of the game:

1) Run the ball effectively, and control the clock
2) Stop the run
3) Rush the passer

Green Bay has proven they can't do #1 and #3, and we have no idea if they can effectively do #2.

To me, that doesn't add up to a winning formula. Hopefully the Packers will improve as the year goes on, but I certainly don't expect a winning season.

I like Wist's factors for success, but I will add what I think is the most important: Take care of the ball. Last year our turnover diiferential was a NFL-worst -23. Our MNF opponents, the Bengals, led the league with a +25 turnover differential, and have continued this pre-season where they left off last season. If the Pack can get into the positive area in this category by taking care of the rock (BF!) and forcing more TOs we will be in the hunt in the North. Monday night will be an interesting test in this area as well as the others.

retailguy
08-27-2006, 12:38 PM
I guess the thing that bugs me the most about predicting a winning season is that the predictors point to the Atlanta game as a "barometer" that we're improving.

What they fail to mention is that GB played their starters into the third quarter and Atlanta began significant substitutions early in the second quarter.

So, for most of the second and early third quarter it was our "ones" against their "twos". Lord I hope we spanked them hard.

I remain unconvinced that we're going to "light the world on fire" early in the season. I fully expect improvement by the second half of the season, and perhaps by the second third of the season.

It is too soon to predict a winning record. We need a solid OL before that is a realistic goal. We aren't close to that yet.

KYPack
08-27-2006, 12:48 PM
You surprise me, Kool-Aid Kid.

maybe you do know where the bear shits in the buckwheat.

I predict vast improvement in a losing year. They will be some hideous games this seaon. & some that will show the way.

I predict a 75% improvement to 7-9.

We gonna be playing a bunch of kids in the O-Line. it's take a lot of time to gel.

We'll get there, but you must be patient.

MadtownPacker
08-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Why is it so difficult to see a 8-8 or 9-7 season? The rest of the division looks like garbage and the schedule has a bunch of lightweights.

I still say they win the division.

OKC PackerFan
08-27-2006, 05:01 PM
10-6, and a wild card berth. I say we win between 9 and 11 games. We win 11, we win the North. 1st 5 games will determine what kind of team we are and that starts with the O-line. Defense will hold their own and keep us in games, could see improvement there. This team is better than the 4-12 team we put on the field last year. Another + in our favor is Sherman and Rossley are gone. I'll keep drinking kool-aid until the bye week and reaccess my prediction then.:cool:

woodbuck27
08-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Why is it so difficult to see a 8-8 or 9-7 season? The rest of the division looks like garbage and the schedule has a bunch of lightweights.

We'll know more after tomorrow's game.

We're in their house and they will want to claw us out of the clouds.

This team has a strong secondary, and we'll see how well we protect the ball.

Will another WR beside's DD and Greg Jennings step up? Someone's due. Gardner an/or Ferguson need to do more.

We need to see plays again from the TE's.

Things to look for...

How well will we run the ball?

How good Ahman Green looks?

Has the OL shaped up more?

We'll get a better idea of HAWK's growth, and can we deal with "the Run".

Again ... I'm hoping for strength from the middle of OUR OL and some QB pressure from OUR DE's.

We are playing a solid team and we will be tested.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH PACKER FANS !!

:mrgreen:

retailguy
08-27-2006, 09:06 PM

You want me to send you more kool-aid? Seems to be working well for you.... :mrgreen: