PDA

View Full Version : Studs & Duds

Joemailman
12-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Studs

Rodgers - Missed some throws and had 2 INT's, but he came through when it counted most.

Jordy - Rodgers' go-to guy all day. Great game in a must win situation.

Cobb - Only 2 catches, but both for TD's.

Kuhn - Ran for a key 1st down on 4th down, and had a great block on Peppers to make the winning TD possible.

Starks - Averaged 8 YPC as he again provided a great change of pace from Lacy.

Offensive Line - Did a pretty good job of protecting Rodgers, and paved the way for 160 yards rushing. And no penalties.

Duds

Lattimore - Lost contain too much and forced MM to burn a timeout because he didn't get off the field.

Perry - I hope the foot was the problem, because I thought he looked terrible.

Burnett - I blame him for the 67 yard completion to Jeffery.

Slocum - Coverage units, were, as usual, terrible.

gbgary
12-29-2013, 08:45 PM
pretty much agree with that. q had a pretty good game too.

CaptainKickass
12-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Studs:

Entire offense on 4th down. What were they 3 for 3 on that drive?

Duds:

Refs, Bears, and Bears fans. They all still suck

pbmax
12-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Stud - Hawk

Based on that one hit and takedown of Forte on the check down pass. That was a thing of beauty.

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2013, 09:11 PM
The Bears ran at will at Mulumba

Brandon494
12-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Stud - Hawk

Based on that one hit and takedown of Forte on the check down pass. That was a thing of beauty.

STFU! Lmao :-D

Zool
12-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Did they move Perry inside at some point? He was playing 10 yards deep and right in the middle on that long dump off to Forte. He seems to be totally lost when moved away from the LOS.

pbmax
12-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Did they move Perry inside at some point? He was playing 10 yards deep and right in the middle on that long dump off to Forte. He seems to be totally lost when moved away from the LOS.

Yeah that was VERY weird. The guy with a bad wheel is in the middle of the field. My thought was that he followed a receiver.

There was NO Packer defender in Forte's Zip Code on that throw.

pbmax
12-29-2013, 09:28 PM
STFU! Lmao :-D

I understand, but holy cow was that hit and tackle a beautiful thing. Like a turd blossom in that game.

run pMc
12-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Studs
Lacy for gutting it out. His ankle looked like it was in a cast.
Starks for filling in and running hard. I thought he looked better than Lacy.
4th down efficiency. Fortune favors the brave, and I liked that M3 took some chances. Kuhn actually came through with 2 big 4th down plays on that last drive. Noticed he was in a lot as pass protector on 3rd downs.
Mason Crosby for making his kicks, and for getting in Hester's way on at least one long KO enough to stop a TD.
Welcome back, Randall Cobb. Nice to see Jordy Nelson have a big game too.

Rodgers looked a little rusty with some of his throws, and was more turnover-prone than normal. He was still an improvement over anything M3 trotted out there at QB and I think he inspired his team.

Duds
Seemed like the OLBs lost contain often
the S's looked lost-- Agree that Shields was expecting help from Burnett on the bomb to Jeffries. Also, Sean Richardson got a Forte stiffarm that wasn't as bad as Sharper getting the Ed McCaffrey treatment, but it didn't look good.
Problems with pass rush and stopping the run continue.

Why were they running wide so much with Lacy? Seems like the Bears were plugging up the middle and really gumming up a lot of running plays. Something they saw on tape?

ThunderDan
12-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Yeah that was VERY weird. The guy with a bad wheel is in the middle of the field. My thought was that he followed a receiver.

There was NO Packer defender in Forte's Zip Code on that throw.

It looked like Perry was lined up over the TE and was supposed to jam him off the line and drop the flat. Instead he jammed him for 6 yards and couldn't get anywhere near his assigned zone.

Rodgers12
12-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Stud: Boykin, excellent awareness.

Dud: Defense, Did not protect lead(s) very well.

Cheesehead Craig
12-29-2013, 09:42 PM
I'd like to give a stud to Marshall for his huge drop on the Bears last drive.

Freak Out
12-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Studs: Packers

Duds: Bears

mraynrand
12-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Agree that Shields was expecting help from Burnett on the bomb to Jeffries.

LOL
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1994-Pro-Mags-Topps-8-Haywood-Jeffries-Houston-Oilers-/08/!B41Wc7QBWk~$(KGrHqMOKiEEyVLYHZ)uBMrUw0bS4w~~_35.J PG

Jeffries? Jeffrey? Jeffery?

If Shields was looking for help, that's an error in scheme/philosophy. Shields should be told/know that he can't give up coverage on Jeffery. Someone else can make the tackle on the dump off pass*. Can't give up that deep toss.

*or miss it, as the case may be

mraynrand
12-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Stud: Boykin, excellent awareness.

Well, he got a great assist from Rodgers via Trgovac and Kuhn yelling from the sideline.

pbmax
12-29-2013, 09:49 PM
LOL
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1994-Pro-Mags-Topps-8-Haywood-Jeffries-Houston-Oilers-/08/!B41Wc7QBWk~$(KGrHqMOKiEEyVLYHZ)uBMrUw0bS4w~~_35.J PG

Jeffries? Jeffrey? Jeffery?

If Shields was looking for help, that's an error in scheme/philosophy. Shields should be told/know that he can't give up coverage on Jeffery. Someone else can make the tackle on the dump off pass. Can't give up that deep toss.

More than likely he missed an adjustment.

mraynrand
12-29-2013, 09:50 PM
It looked like Perry was lined up over the TE and was supposed to jam him off the line and drop the flat. Instead he jammed him for 6 yards and couldn't get anywhere near his assigned zone.

I'd like to go bak and look at the coverage, but there is no doubt that the Packers eliminated Martellus Bennett from the game.

Rodgers12
12-29-2013, 09:57 PM
If Shields was looking for help, that's an error in scheme/philosophy. Shields should be told/know that he can't give up coverage on Jeffery. Someone else can make the tackle on the dump off pass*. Can't give up that deep toss.

*or miss it, as the case may be

Hyde had his guy well covered up the middle. Burnett still went after that guy leaving Shields on an island. That bomb was on Burnett, methinks.

woodbuck27
12-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Well, he got a great assist from Rodgers via Trgovac and Kuhn yelling from the sideline.

I said to Mae what made him finally go for and pick up that ball and score? It had to be someone yelling at him.

He hesitated and some more hesitation and final... the scoop and dodge for six.

mraynrand
12-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Hyde had his guy well covered up the middle. Burnett still went after that guy leaving Shields on an island. That bomb was on Burnett, methinks.

But Shields broke off the coverage, as though he's either expecting help, or didn't think they were going deep and just lost concentration. I'm OK with Shields on the island - but plaster. He did it other times in the game and was effective.

Rodgers12
12-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Studs: Packers

Duds: Bears

Well said. :)

woodbuck27
12-29-2013, 10:05 PM
I'd like to go bak and look at the coverage, but there is no doubt that the Packers eliminated Martellus Bennett from the game.

Martellus Bennet was a non factor with one reception for 15 yards. I expected to see him post more than that.

Bossman641
12-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Thought the ol played very well in general

pbmax
12-29-2013, 10:15 PM

Might have been about their best pass protection of the season.

Rodgers12
12-29-2013, 10:19 PM
But Shields broke off the coverage, as though he's either expecting help, or didn't think they were going deep and just lost concentration. I'm OK with Shields on the island - but plaster. He did it other times in the game and was effective.

Wasnt the down and distance manageable for the Bears? Shields was probably anticipating/gambling on a slant or short throw. If you watch the replay, Burnett went after the wrong guy, the guy well-covered by Hyde.

With the outcome in hindsight, lets just agree to disagree. :)

Bossman641
12-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Going off memory here. Think it was third and 4 or 5. I believe bears had Marshall in the left slot. Shields certainly played jeffrey like he was expecting help over the top. It's possible capers had bracket coverage on marshall but I think burnett screwed up

Bretsky
12-29-2013, 10:26 PM
It really looked like Shields was expecting help over the top; he didn't even put his burners on until he turned around with an oh shit...there is no help behind me reaction

pbmax
12-29-2013, 10:30 PM
I think he and Burnett were expecting a 1st down route and each jumped up. That left no one deep to corral Jeffrey.

Very Sharper like and both should run laps and take a pay cut. Or be traded to the Vikes.

mraynrand
12-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Wasnt the down and distance manageable for the Bears? Shields was probably anticipating/gambling on a slant or short throw. If you watch the replay, Burnett went after the wrong guy, the guy well-covered by Hyde.

With the outcome in hindsight, lets just agree to disagree. :)

Yeah, I think there was an expectation that everything was going to be short. My guess is Shields lost concentration. See what they say post-game interviews.

mraynrand
12-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Stud - T. Will - guy has been beasting in tackling. Did OK in tough assignment.

mraynrand
12-29-2013, 10:48 PM
I think he and Burnett were expecting a 1st down route and each jumped up. That left no one deep to corral Jeffrey.

Very Sharper like and both should run laps and take a pay cut. Or be traded to the Vikes.

Burnett made up with defense of late pass to Jeffery.

pbmax
12-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Burnett made up with defense of late pass to Jeffery.

Yep. One area of improvement for Packer D in 2013: Hail Mary Defense.

mraynrand
12-29-2013, 10:56 PM

LOL

woodbuck27
12-29-2013, 11:00 PM

1 for 1... 100%

Rodgers12
12-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I think there was an expectation that everything was going to be short. My guess is Shields lost concentration. See what they say post-game interviews.

Off the record, here's what Mr. Mike Vandermause of the GBPG has to say about the play:

Sam Shields got beat on a 67-yard pass from Cutler to Alshon Jeffery in the third quarter that led to a touchdown, but safety Morgan Burnett should have been there to help and was nowhere to be found.

pbmax
12-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Off the record, here's what Mr. Mike Vandermause of the GBPG has to say about the play:

Sam Shields got beat on a 67-yard pass from Cutler to Alshon Jeffery in the third quarter that led to a touchdown, but safety Morgan Burnett should have been there to help and was nowhere to be found.

Did you call him on the phone?

Rodgers12
12-29-2013, 11:07 PM
Did you call him on the phone?

Nah, I stole the quote from Packersnews.com without a subscription. :)

call_me_ishmael
12-29-2013, 11:07 PM
I honestly didn't even notice Perry at all. Didn't see him play a single snap despite watching the whole game. Hmm.

Rodgers manned up when it mattered but before that he was stalling drives with inaccuracies. At least we got the win, he could shake the rust off, and we'll ball hard next week.

Damn, I hate the niners.

woodbuck27
12-29-2013, 11:08 PM
It really looked like Shields was expecting help over the top; he didn't even put his burners on until he turned around with an oh shit...there is no help behind me reaction

He was lost in space.

Where was the Jets Chris Ivory (quadricep/ankle), today B? I checked at some point and he had zero carries.

I hope you didn't start him. ;-)

pbmax
12-29-2013, 11:09 PM
I honestly didn't even notice Perry at all. Didn't see him play a single snap despite watching the whole game. Hmm.

Rodgers manned up when it mattered but before that he was stalling drives with inaccuracies. At least we got the win, he could shake the rust off, and we'll ball hard next week.

Damn, I hate the niners.

He did not start and did not play a lot of snaps. Hopefully its foot related and gets better.

BZnDallas
12-29-2013, 11:32 PM
STUD MM - for being able to pull out the 'W' with his team

DUD MM - for the early 3rd and 1 call that stopped our momentum and let it fall in da bears lap

call_me_ishmael
12-29-2013, 11:33 PM
I think I'm being too hard on Aaron. He was fricking sensational on that last drive. 4-4 on 4th down = bang!

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Lattimore - Lost contain too much and forced MM to burn a timeout because he didn't get off the field.

I thought he made enough plays not to be on the dud list. I think Aikman misnamed him once or twice as the guy to lose contain when it wasn't him. Would be strange for the ILB to have outside contain that much.

pbmax
12-29-2013, 11:49 PM
I thought he made enough plays not to be on the dud list. I think Aikman misnamed him once or twice as the guy to lose contain when it wasn't him. Would be strange for the ILB to have outside contain that much.

I think Aikman goes with the storyline sometimes and Lattimore was the backup starting in an important game.

he did get lost once on a play I am worried about. Against nickel (2-4) the Bears faked an outside run, occupying Neal. They had some other run action that caused both Hawk and Lattimore to collapse inside. They then ran off tackle through a BIG hole.

Something went wrong with that diagram. It wasn't, but it worked like a read option.

bobblehead
12-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Might have been about their best pass protection of the season.

Ya think they did NOT want to be known as the guys who let the bears injure ARod twice?

Bossman641
12-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Nominating Bush for stud status. Nothing specific but m bennett had a very quiet day. Would have been nice if he had held onto that pick though

pbmax
12-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Nominating Bush for stud status. Nothing specific but m bennett had a very quiet day. Would have been nice if he had held onto that pick though

Good call. He forced a fumble on ST too. Had a pass breakup.

As long as he isn't outside, he's tough enough to make life miserable for the inside receivers.

Pugger
12-30-2013, 01:10 AM
I think I'm being too hard on Aaron. He was fricking sensational on that last drive. 4-4 on 4th down = bang!

Aaron did look a tad rusty to start the game but got better as the game progressed and showed the country why he is The Best.

Freak Out
12-30-2013, 01:35 AM
Just watched a few more highlights/lowlights and Perry was just pathetic on some plays...no effort.

mraynrand
12-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Just watched a few more highlights/lowlights and Perry was just pathetic on some plays...no effort.

it was pretty bad - especially that whiff on Forte.

pbmax
12-30-2013, 08:15 AM
I think he foot is getting worse, not better.

PA Pack Fan
12-30-2013, 08:28 AM
He was completely worthless.

denverYooper
12-30-2013, 08:42 AM
I know JMM said it earlier, but...

KUHN!

Rodgers gave him credit right away when they stuck the postgame mic in his face.

“As I looked outside, I felt Julius was coming free. I was going to try to elude him – which, the chances of that are pretty slim – and John comes out of nowhere and cuts him. I was able to get the edge and saw Randall running wide open. In peripheral, I looked outside to make sure that we had a big play there, [and] I knew I had to get a little bit on it just to make sure that I didn’t way under-throw him.

“When that ball came down, it was just pandemonium.”

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=12441&is_corp=1

pbmax
12-30-2013, 08:45 AM
You know it meant a lot to him because he reacted like a kid (Favre?) rather than a pre-planned routine. That was a ton of fun to watch.

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 08:57 AM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=331229003&period=4

Count the 4th down conversions. I see:

1) a 4th and 1 completed for a 1st down.

2) a 4th and 1 completed for a first down.

3) a 4th and 8 and ... in a big way completed for a 48 yard TD to Randall Cobb and Packer Nation goes absolutely WILD with Tremendous JOY !

4th and 8 at CHI 48 (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass deep left to R.Cobb for 48 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 33 28
TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. A.Rodgers pass is incomplete. ATTEMPT FAILS.

SCORE: PACKERS 33 - BEARS 28

Will Packer fan that saw this LIVE ever forget it?

I hope not and that's NOT :bs2:

NEVER EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR PACKERS !

Fritz
12-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Perry is going on a bad wheel. Man, this defense is beat up. No Matthews, Neal's abdomen killing him, Perry's foot - reduced to Mulamba as a major player? A first year rookie project?

I think the SF game is going to be ugly.

Cheesehead Craig
12-30-2013, 09:53 AM

Good call, they were very good.

Cleft Crusty
12-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Clefty wants to give studs to Phil Emery and Marc Trestman. Clefty thought the Bears were in for a 3-13 kind of collapse season, but highly effective offseason moves cured the Bear's O-line and Trestman's offense turned Jeffery loose and revived Forte. It even made Cutler more effective. The defense could not be helped as it is showing it's age worse than Bruce Dern. Packers victory is all the more sweet for Packer Fans because they beat a well-run team.