PDA

View Full Version : So did this game qualify as "clutch" or "4th Q Comeback"?

CaptainKickass
12-30-2013, 04:44 AM
I'll let all you math and statistic wizards crunch the numbers and refine the details. But, I'm pretty sure Rodgers has been criticized for his inability to lead a 4th quarter comeback or be "clutch" at the end of a game.

Did Sunday's performance qualify?

bobblehead
12-30-2013, 06:19 AM
Didn't count...nothing will satisfy those that would like to disqualify anything Rodgers does as less than Favre. This was a Randall Cobb 4th quarter comeback because he made the read to blow by the squatting defender. Rodgers simply threw a prayer up to a wide open receiver.

Kiwon
12-30-2013, 06:39 AM
GB fans have been spoiled rotten since 1992. To have two guys the caliber of Favre and Rodgers the past 21 years is unbelievable.

We've tasted what it's like without Rodgers. So enjoy the moment while you have it.

Yeah, he was clutch AND it was a great comeback, especially completing three fourth downs in the final scoring drive.

SkinBasket
12-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Its easy to not have to be clutch when you don't throw 3 or 4 INTs per game.

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Didn't count...nothing will satisfy those that would like to disqualify anything Rodgers does as less than Favre. This was a Randall Cobb 4th quarter comeback because he made the read to blow by the squatting defender. Rodgers simply threw a prayer up to a wide open receiver.

That Ladies and Sirs was an outstanding 4th Qtr. comeback.

The fifth lead change in an outstanding, in it's own way, game. It's now in the books as added history to what actually is 'the Greatest Rivalry' in the history of the NFL. All other rivalries take second fiddle to the Green Bay Packers Vs da Chicago Bears. All the other rivalries simply couldn't ever be the GREATEST.

It's always going to be :

The Chicago Bears Vs the Green Bay Packers. NO. 1 in NFL entertainment.

That was an extraordinary last possession drive including 3 X 4th down conversions. An amazing pass by Aaron Rodgers to connect with an open WR Randall Cobb. If Aaron doesn't get that long pass right on the $money$...we're complaining about a lot.

OK here goes:

Can Aaron Rodgers get some clear credit without the Favre sarcasms? :wink:

Do you know who made all this Brett Favre is less than or more than 'whatever' stuff:

Posters like you.

Will we ever simply agree on Packerrats that Favre was simply great. Allow for some distinction and a gentle comparison of Favre and Rodgers as they both have done terrific things for the Green Bay Packer Organization and Packer nation?

Maybe just simply allow Aaron Rodgers build on his own legacy to one day entering the NFL HOF as Brett Favre surely will?

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 07:37 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1902694-rodgers-is-following-in-the-footsteps-of-starr-and-favre-when-playing-the-bears

Rodgers Is Following in the Footsteps of Starr and Favre When Playing the Bears

By Bob Fox (Featured Columnist) on December 27, 2013

GO Aaron and the Green Bay Packers GO !

bobblehead
12-30-2013, 07:52 AM
PS...screw you captain, I wanted to start this thread but was too worn out last night...my laziness cost me the glory of being the sarcastic rat.

denverYooper
12-30-2013, 08:12 AM
Its easy to not have to be clutch when you don't throw 3 or 4 INTs per game.

Truth. They wouldn't even have been in that spot if he doesn't throw 2 early INTs to take points off of the board.

SkinBasket
12-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Truth. They wouldn't even have been in that spot if he doesn't throw 2 early INTs to take points off of the board.

I'm not going to begrudge a guy who hasn't played in two months a couple of mistakes.

pbmax
12-30-2013, 08:43 AM
I think there is something to his numbers in the 4th Quarter, but its not about clutch or leading. Most QBs with high comeback totals have bad defenses or throw themselves into trouble and then either have a run of luck at the end of the game or throw it away. You can be a 500 QB with a lot of comebacks from your own mistakes as has already been mentioned.

But Brady has a decent number of comebacks and he plays more like Rodgers than most other on these lists. Brady doesn't throw picks like even Peyton does.

I think its a combo of a bad D and McCarthys coaching approach. You get a highly tailored game plan from McCarthy at the start of the game and he doesn't make a lot of adjustments until halftime. He's stubborn and doesn't give in to constantly fiddling between drives. But if the second half adjustments don't get it done, or if the opponent gets the drop on the offense in the 2nd half, the Packers tend to play at the same level for the rest of the game.

It might have to do with a head coach calling his own plays. Favre did not specialize in comebacks until later in his career, well after Holmgren.

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 08:43 AM

Thinking in reverse is hard.

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 08:46 AM
I think there is something to his numbers in the 4th Quarter, but its not about clutch or leading. Most QBs with high comeback totals have bad defenses or throw themselves into trouble and then either have a run of luck at the end of the game or throw it away. You can be a 500 QB with a lot of comebacks from your own mistakes as has already been mentioned.

But Brady has a decent number of comebacks and he plays more like Rodgers than most other on these lists. Brady doesn't throw picks like even Peyton does.

I think its a combo of a bad D and McCarthys coaching approach. You get a highly tailored game plan from McCarthy at the start of the game and he doesn't make a lot of adjustments until halftime. He's stubborn and doesn't give in to constantly fiddling between drives. But if the second half adjustments don't get it done, or if the opponent gets the drop on the offense in the 2nd half, the Packers tend to play at the same level for the rest of the game.

It might have to do with a head coach calling his own plays. Favre did not specialize in comebacks until later in his career, well after Holmgren.

Yes.

gbgary
12-30-2013, 08:57 AM
So did this game qualify as "clutch" or "4th Q Comeback"?

yes

denverYooper
12-30-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm not going to begrudge a guy who hasn't played in two months a couple of mistakes.

Yeah, me neither. I was just getting at the narratives that get constructed around 60 minute collections of plays.

pbmax
12-30-2013, 09:42 AM
A perfect example of why comeback is the fraternal sibling of interception:

What Rodgers did was complete 25 of 39 passes for 318 yards and two touchdowns. He also threw two costly interceptions and easily could have had a third if Bears safety Chris Conte hadn't let the ball sail right between his arms.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/tablet/sports/aaron-rodgers-benefits-from-supporting-cast-b99173507z1-237924511.html#ixzz2oyP58Jq5
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/aaron-rodgers-benefits-from-supporting-cast-b99173507z1-237924511.html

Cheesehead Craig
12-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Just happy that Kuhn made a hell of a block, Rodgers is an athletic QB and that the Bears screwed the pooch on the coverage.

Call it clutch, comeback, or whatever. I call it beating the MF'ing Bears and that's good enough for me.

Fritz
12-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Around game five or six a buddy of mine started in on the whole "Rodgers can't lead a team to a comeback win" thing. He was incessant about it, just incessant. So we were watching the game together, and on the fourth and eight, just before the snap, he started in again. And then Rodgers threw the touchdown.

Hell yes it was a comeback. Look at that drive; there were two fourth down conversions - one on a pass - before that last fourth and eight with 46 seconds left. If leading your team to the winning touchdown with a long drive, and finishing it off with under a minute left, is not a comeback drive, then what the hell is?

pbmax
12-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Around game five or six a buddy of mine started in on the whole "Rodgers can't lead a team to a comeback win" thing. He was incessant about it, just incessant. So we were watching the game together, and on the fourth and eight, just before the snap, he started in again. And then Rodgers threw the touchdown.

Hell yes it was a comeback. Look at that drive; there were two fourth down conversions - one on a pass - before that last fourth and eight with 46 seconds left. If leading your team to the winning touchdown with a long drive, and finishing it off with under a minute left, is not a comeback drive, then what the hell is?

If I was a Lions fan, I would spend my time complaining about other team's QBs as well, rather than wonder why the Lion's QB doesn't want to improve his mechanics.

Guiness
12-30-2013, 10:08 AM
A perfect example of why comeback is the fraternal sibling of interception:

How true. Flynn's two comeback performances were enabled by awful first halves, one by Tolzien, one by him!

Fritz
12-30-2013, 10:55 AM
If I was a Lions fan, I would spend my time complaining about other team's QBs as well, rather than wonder why the Lion's QB doesn't want to improve his mechanics.

Thing is, my buddy is a Packer fan.

pbmax
12-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Thing is, my buddy is a Packer fan.

Surprised he's not on the Game Day thread.

Cleft Crusty
12-30-2013, 11:06 AM
He also threw two costly interceptions and easily could have had a third if Bears safety Chris Conte hadn't let the ball sail right between his arms.

Easily? Sail? Who writes this crap? Conte was stretched out to get his mitts on that ball. That would have been one hell of a great interception. That's a classic Rodgers breaking ball that he likes to throw so that only the receiver has a chance. Hell of a lucky grab by Scoreless on that one - probably the deflection off Conte took enough off so he could snag it.

CaptainKickass
12-30-2013, 01:25 PM
PS...screw you captain, I wanted to start this thread but was too worn out last night...my laziness cost me the glory of being the sarcastic rat.

I'm here to help Bobblehead! Besides keeping some odd hours recently, I can't help being more kickass at thread starting. :)

If leading your team to the winning touchdown with a long drive, and finishing it off with under a minute left, is not a comeback drive, then what the hell is?

Well, football can be really confusing at times. I mean we've seen interceptions ruled as touchdowns. So while I agree, I just wanted folks here to clarify. Your input is valued Fritz.

Cheesehead Craig
12-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Surprised he's not on the Game Day thread.

I think it's pittstang

Pugger
12-30-2013, 02:23 PM

No shit. That TD pass to Cobb with under a minute to go was thrown while Rodgers was scrambling to his left - something only a couple other QBs can do.

Pugger
12-30-2013, 02:25 PM

Did you hear the idiot Stafford say recently that he doesn't need a QB coach? This goof will never amount to anything with this mindset. :-D

denverYooper
12-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Did you hear the idiot Stafford say recently that he doesn't need a QB coach? This goof will never amount to anything with this mindset. :-D

The hive was aghast at his insouciance regarding QB coaching.

King Friday
12-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Just happy that Kuhn made a hell of a block, Rodgers is an athletic QB and that the Bears screwed the pooch on the coverage.

The Bears didn't blow the coverage. It was an all-out blitz with 7 guys. You don't expect the QB to be upright long enough for someone to get 30 yards downfield. You can't blitz 7 and cover the remaining field with only 4 in the secondary. It was just a great job by the Packer offense of getting at least someone on all 7 rushers and Rodgers being athletic enough to get away and give Cobb the time to get behind the defense.

Guiness
12-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Thread is 2 days old, and no one has pointed out that the win does not qualify according to the standard that were decided on. Win has to be by 4 points or less. 5 points, no dice!

ThunderDan
12-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Thread is 2 days old, and no one has pointed out that the win does not qualify according to the standard that were decided on. Win has to be by 4 points or less. 5 points, no dice!

Not a close game QB, but a 4th Q comeback!

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 04:38 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVK6LQUiTO9BVZp9IC2629F3OfgSTh0 rWO5Ofw6QgNjGuGZEuG1A

LEWCWA
12-30-2013, 04:47 PM
No shit. That TD pass to Cobb with under a minute to go was thrown while Rodgers was scrambling to his left - something only a couple other QBs can do.

every QB in the league can make that throw. Eluding the pressure was the thing a lot of QB's don't do, but once that was accomplished I think Woody coulda made that throw!

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 05:02 PM
every QB in the league can make that throw. Eluding the pressure was the thing a lot of QB's don't do, but once that was accomplished I think Woody coulda made that throw!

John Kuhn allowed that throw. What a nice low block he made on Julius Peppers who only had a straight line dive at Rodgers left.

I looked at that play over and over and over again.

Aaron and Randall need to take Mr. Kuhn to dinner.

TT

Attention Ted Thompson.

Sign that man back up! Today .... not tomorrow get that done please. Your losing Sam Shields unless your pockets get deeper and James Jones..the same thing and don't count too much on that guy wanting to stay.

You and Mr. Ball need to get really busy Ted !!

Thanks Ted.

pbmax
12-30-2013, 05:12 PM

Scoring TDs late is not clutch unless down by more than one point.

pbmax
12-30-2013, 05:13 PM

I don't know about that. Running left and throwing 40 yards? Try to imagine Flynn making that throw on the move.

LEWCWA
12-30-2013, 05:47 PM
I don't know about that. Running left and throwing 40 yards? Try to imagine Flynn making that throw on the move.

He pretty much squared himself up by the time he threw it and just heaved it up. I stick by any NFL QB being able to make that throw. Some would have panicked with the pressure though...

pbmax
12-30-2013, 05:56 PM
He pretty much squared himself up by the time he threw it and just heaved it up. I stick by any NFL QB being able to make that throw. Some would have panicked with the pressure though...

I agree pressure would be problematic for a lot of QBs, Peyton might have just fallen down, but going left and throwing is tough. There was a point that no one but the young and foolish even tried it. Sherman was one of the first to roll out his QB that way (Favre).

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 08:01 PM

Imagined Bear fan response to your question:

http://us.cdn4.123rf.com/168nwm/yayayoy/yayayoy1301/yayayoy130100013/17665622-bear-rolling-on-the-floor-laughing.jpg

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 08:04 PM
I agree pressure would be problematic for a lot of QBs, Peyton might have just fallen down, but going left and throwing is tough. There was a point that no one but the young and foolish even tried it. Sherman was one of the first to roll out his QB that way (Favre).

A Favre lob.

Freak Out
12-30-2013, 08:09 PM
LOL@this thread.

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 08:17 PM
How true. Flynn's two comeback performances were enabled by awful first halves, one by Tolzien, one by him!

He liked it so much the first time around he planned it again.

bobblehead
12-30-2013, 10:45 PM

Which is the very reason I used to laugh about the "4th quarter comeback". Its usually Favr....er the QB throwing too many picks and playing poorly that led to a 4th quarter deficit.

bobblehead
12-30-2013, 10:50 PM

Remember the good old days when the knock on Rodgers was "all he can do is scramble to his right"

I find it amazing some people can be wrong so often and still keep thinking they have anything to offer.

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Remember the good old days when the knock on Rodgers was "all he can do is scramble to his right"

I find it amazing some people can be wrong so often and still keep thinking they have anything to offer.

Think about that post please.

We're you born 'all knowing'?

Everyone deserves some evolution in thought.

I've met nobody that possesses clear genius. There is little certain evidence of such at Packerrats. :?

MadtownPacker
12-31-2013, 11:18 AM

I usually find your post great but this one reeks of shit long turned to dust. We are all wrong in here at times. Even if someone is always wrong they add to the discussion and allow for "some people" to feel superior.

bobblehead
12-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Hmm..didn't think much of the post when I made it, but if i offended 2 people it was probably poor taste. My point was that some people are negative nellies in all things and it gets old. "some people" wasn't really directed at anyone in particular, but I apologize for bad tact.

MadtownPacker
12-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Nah man, you are a cool guy. I guess I just see all that part of Packers history past us. I was one who doubted Rodgers at one point myself. But he earned my 100% support with his way of handling his business. Hell even Tank has grown up enough to acknowledge we are lucky to have ARod. But don't be mistaken, there is always some reason to argue here. :grin:

mraynrand
12-31-2013, 11:47 AM

Hey, you just described my life. Now I don't have to write the autobiography.