PDA

View Full Version : The GREEN BAY PACKERS ARE IN ! ... Nine takeaways from a wild NFL Week 17.

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 07:30 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000306549/article/the-field-is-set-nine-takeaways-from-a-wild-week-17?campaign=Ext_Email_NL_REG_17_20131230_GB&cvosrc=Ext_Email.Epsilon.NL_REG_17_20131230_GB

The field is set: Nine takeaways from a wild Week 17

By Dan Hanzus ... Around the League Writer

Published: Dec. 30, 2013 at 01:30 a.m.

Updated: Dec. 30, 2013 at 07:43 a.m.

" Aaron Rodgers didn't need long to remind us why he's so special. The quarterback's 48-yard strike to Randall Cobb with less than a minute to play devastated the Bears and lifted the Packers to their third consecutive NFC North crown."

Please Click on the LINK for the whole story.

GO PACKERS ... GO PACK GO !

bobblehead
12-30-2013, 07:54 AM
I love rewritten history. Aaron wasn't that great in this game...he was off to be honest. His 48 yard strike, like many of his passes in this game was underthrown. Awesome game. Love me some ARod. Big bowl game here we come, but perfect strike...hardly. BUT...can't let facts get in the way of a great article and storyline.

denverYooper
12-30-2013, 08:15 AM
I love rewritten history. Aaron wasn't that great in this game...he was off to be honest. His 48 yard strike, like many of his passes in this game was underthrown. Awesome game. Love me some ARod. Big bowl game here we come, but perfect strike...hardly. BUT...can't let facts get in the way of a great article and storyline.

This is the kind of game that the experts often say the Packers can't win - a gut-check game when Rodgers is having an off day.

Smidgeon
12-30-2013, 10:57 AM
The 48 yarder wasn't a great throw, but the rolling to the left and throwing down the field for a completion was. And he was making great throws that entire drive.

Cleft Crusty
12-30-2013, 12:56 PM

You have the heart of a poet. A dead poet.

The Shadow
12-30-2013, 01:00 PM
This was really no different from another historic Packer victory. Brett Favre's return-after-the-death-of-his-father game was not so much about him - it was more about his receivers making an unbelievable effort to go up for a lot of jump ball type passes.
Rodgers & Favre did, however, find a way to win.

Cleft Crusty
12-30-2013, 01:05 PM
This was really no different from another historic Packer victory. Brett Favre's return-after-the-death-of-his-father game was not so much about him - it was more about his receivers making an unbelievable effort to go up for a lot of jump ball type passes.
Rodgers & Favre did, however, find a way to win.

Interesting take, except that I think you're off a bit. That victory was all about Favre, and that time, with the circumstances, it was totally justified. This victory was a team victory and Rodgers was a necessary component. Since he's the QB, he understandably will get more attention, get more credit (and then take more blame when they lose). But I didn't get the sense at all that this game was all about Rodgers. But that's probably because I cherish NFL history and rivalries more than most.

denverYooper
12-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Interesting take, except that I think you're off a bit. That victory was all about Favre, and that time, with the circumstances, it was totally justified. This victory was a team victory and Rodgers was a necessary component. Since he's the QB, he understandably will get more attention, get more credit (and then take more blame when they lose). But I didn't get the sense at all that this game was all about Rodgers. But that's probably because I cherish NFL history and rivalries more than most.

At every opportunity, Rodgers gives credit to John Kuhn for the game winning play. The best quote so far, "he made the smart play at the right time". In that, Rodgers himself is pointing to the important unsung everyman that has been someone different at different times in December -- Jarret Bush, Micah Hyde, etc -- including in this historic rivalry game. Rodgers is no dope, either. He knows that the only way the Packers make it anywhere this year is that kind of team play for 60 full minutes. Well that, and an epic Detroit collapse. But they will need that mindset to sustain whatever is left of this season.

When Rodgers goes into his playoff-legacy spiel, it sounds nice and all but it comes off as planned and not as authentic as when he answers questions about the game by talking about John Kuhn coming out of nowhere to cut Julius Peppers. Nor was his belt celebration of 2010 as great as that sort of faggy prance around the field on their final TD just for the sheer unplanned joy of doing something amazing in a huge situation when shit sort of broke down. That is the season, to me, in a nutshell -- just way off script but improvised to perfection. That's what makes one of the best Packer seasons I've witnessed -- for a team that has prided itself on precision and control and came in with a plan that got blown to shreds, they made one hell of an emotional, gut-wrenching run at the end.

I watched this game with my nearly 2 year old son. He thought it was wildly entertaining when daddy started jumping around the living room and giving him high fives. It was the first transcendent Packers memory he will possibly have and I am certain he will watch that on hologram 20 years from now and brag about it being part of his Packer fan credentials. I will remind him, of course.

The Shadow
12-30-2013, 07:01 PM

I disgree. Watching that game, I saw a lot of jump ball passes being hauled in by the tremendous efforts of receivers. That was also a 'team' victory; the team suppporting Favre with herculean effort.
The team also supported Rodgers.

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 07:31 PM

This great triumph was indeed a team victory.

The last possession that led to the game winning TD!

We''ll not ever see such again in our collective lifetimes.

Well ....at least most of 'You' won't. :rs:

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2013, 11:19 PM
I disgree. Watching that game, I saw a lot of jump ball passes being hauled in by the tremendous efforts of receivers. That was also a 'team' victory; the team suppporting Favre with herculean effort.

There were two or three, but it was exaggerated. He was lights out at first. (For example, that first TD pass to Wesley Walls was unbelievable.) Later in the game it seemed like destiny, so he started heaving a few (throw it up to Javon in double coverage and it would go for a TD).

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 08:44 AM
There were two or three, but it was exaggerated. He was lights out at first. (For example, that first TD pass to Wesley Walls was unbelievable.) Later in the game it seemed like destiny, so he started heaving a few (throw it up to Javon in double coverage and it would go for a TD).

Favre had his moments...very solid moments. Good to spectacular moments but this is all about one guy now:

Aaron Rodgers and those he completes.

I'll bet anything that Favre 'is all in' in terms of support for Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.

I'm watching for the Press report and 'just that'.

Cleft Crusty
12-31-2013, 09:05 AM

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The focus of the 2003 game coverage was almost exclusively on Favre; the game was about Favre; it was all-Favre, all night. And that was OK, given the circumstances. There will always be a focus on the QB, but in the coverage of Sunday's victory over the Bears, the focus was more broadly distributed, with focus on Lacy and others and also a more pronounced focus on the Bears and the rivalry.

Packers4Glory
12-31-2013, 09:12 AM
that throw was pretty damn impressive. I didn't realize how difficult of a throw it was until I saw the replay. he made it look easy. I'm telling you right now there are only a few guys who could have completed that pass as easily as Rodgers made it look. Many many more QB's would have not been able to make that throw.

Pugger
12-31-2013, 09:18 AM

This is how I saw that MNF game too.

Our guys rallied around their leader on Sunday too. Remember when AR was hit late after a tackle in the first half? The big guys up front took exception to it and I was certain their could have been scuffle over that but cooler heads prevailed.

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 09:27 AM
that throw was pretty damn impressive. I didn't realize how difficult of a throw it was until I saw the replay. he made it look easy. I'm telling you right now there are only a few guys who could have completed that pass as easily as Rodgers made it look. Many many more QB's would have not been able to make that throw.

I said to Mae.

Look how easy he made that throw look.

Packers4Glory
12-31-2013, 09:35 AM
I said to Mae.

Look how easy he made that throw look.

I was impressed! Sometimes I have to stop and think...damn we're lucky to have had 2 great QB's back to back. We transitioned without missing a beat at the position. Only comparison I can easily come up with is Montana/Young. Some teams wait a long time before finding a good QB that replaces a legend. some teams (chicago) never really have a great QB in their entire history. I mean Cutler is about the best they've ever had. Hell it's even hard to replace pretty good QB's you have had for awhile like Minny with Cullpepper. They haven't had shit since he left.