PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Quarless

call_me_ishmael
12-30-2013, 10:32 AM
I may be a homer, but I like Andrew Quarless more than Finley. He seems far more versatile and reliable to me.

An offense with Cobb, Jones, Nelson, Quarless and Lacy is a dynamic, league leading offense in my opinion.

What do you think?

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 10:36 AM
I may be a homer, but I like Andrew Quarless more than Finley. He seems far more versatile and reliable to me.

An offense with Cobb, Jones, Nelson, Quarless and Lacy is a dynamic, league leading offense in my opinion.

What do you think?

With Aaron Rodgers under center I'd say...not too bad.

Two of those fellas are UFA'a and next up TT has to deal with Jordy Nelson and Free Agency.

gbgary
12-30-2013, 10:44 AM
I like him too...as a #2. had a good game yesterday.

denverYooper
12-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Versatile is the key word with him. He looks to be developing into a 3 down player.

Smeefers
12-30-2013, 11:38 AM
I'd still rather have Finley any day and twice on sunday. You can get a lot of touchdowns on third and goal with fin lined up out wide. Quar has a lot of good things about him, but he's only ever going to be good. Fin can be great. All its going to take is his skill se catching up to his body. Can't teach tall fast and strong.

Cleft Crusty
12-30-2013, 11:45 AM
I'd still rather have Finley any day and twice on sunday. You can get a lot of touchdowns on third and goal with fin lined up out wide. Quar has a lot of good things about him, but he's only ever going to be good. Fin can be great. All its going to take is his skill se catching up to his body. Can't teach tall fast and strong.

This is the correct answer. Except that "The Big Fin" may be done forever. However, Packer fans can take heart - In Michigan is a TE named Funchess who is every bit the physical specimen that Finley is, and also drops critical passes. He will be available for the 2015 draft.

bobblehead
12-30-2013, 12:18 PM

I don't know. A TE that can't block and runs a 4.6 sounds a lot like a slow receiver to me.

Smeefers
12-30-2013, 01:55 PM
You forgot 6' 5", 240 #'s and the fact that he's only 26 with 5 years experience. He's just getting to the meat of his career.

Pugger
12-30-2013, 02:17 PM

What do you think?

Q might be more reliable but Finley has more natural athletic ability. JF was starting to come into his own before he got hurt so it is a damn shame. I wonder if he'll ever play again...?

gbgary
12-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Q might be more reliable but Finley has more natural athletic ability. JF was starting to come into his own before he got hurt so it is a damn shame. I wonder if he'll ever play again...?

doctor told him he should be good to go recently.

Brandon494
12-30-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm done with Finley but I would like a starter better then Quarless.

denverYooper
12-30-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm done with Finley but I would like a starter better then Quarless.

As a pass catcher, in pass pro, a blocker? How many guys are there that are better at everything? Davis, Gronk, and Witten come to mind. You could come up with a decent list of better receiving TE or blocking TE but I'd bet he's in the mix when you get to multiple facets.

MadtownPacker
12-30-2013, 03:05 PM
I'll take Quarless versus a tough defense. Finley disappears when he gets roughed up.

Brandon494
12-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Draft C.J. Fiedorowicz in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Brandon494
12-30-2013, 03:39 PM
As a pass catcher, in pass pro, a blocker? How many guys are there that are better at everything? Davis, Gronk, and Witten come to mind. You could come up with a decent list of better receiving TE or blocking TE but I'd bet he's in the mix when you get to multiple facets.

You talking about Finley or Ouarless?

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Finley is better, but Quarless has stepped it up. For a guy who has good size and speed he sure rumble, bumble, stumbles a lot out there. Not sure why but he sure has some awkward look routes and catch attempts.

King Friday
12-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Finley is a much better receiver, although Quarless is a better all around tight end. As long as we retain talent at WR and maintain focus on a capable run game, Quarless is good enough as a starting TE in GB.

mraynrand
12-30-2013, 04:04 PM
I'll take Quarless versus a tough defense. Finley disappears when he gets roughed up.

He needs to show more spine

pbmax
12-30-2013, 04:49 PM
He needs to show more spine

Maybe put a rod in there to stiffen it.

KYPack
12-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Quarless had some fugly games early, but he has turned it around.

Good all round TE and has improved step by step all during this season.

We need him, too.

Fritz
12-30-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm on the Funchess train. He makes big plays.

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm on the Funchess train. He makes big plays.

He makes spectacular catches that are so spectacular that even when viewed from the booth.

Their rejected as..

Booth reviewer NO. 1 ... That was an impossible catch.

Booth Reviewer NO. 2 ... Did you see that catch? Can you believe that catch??

NO.1 ... Yes and No I can't believe it !

NO.2 ... Noone could ... so ... lets let that incompletion call stand.

NO. 1 Yea right ... sure !

bobblehead
12-30-2013, 10:59 PM
You forgot 6' 5", 240 #'s and the fact that he's only 26 with 5 years experience. He's just getting to the meat of his career.

6'5" and can't block. So a tall slow reciever.

bobblehead
12-30-2013, 11:01 PM

Lets not joke about that. The way Packer players get hurt, he could have one by next tuesday.

Pugger
12-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Finley is better, but Quarless has stepped it up. For a guy who has good size and speed he sure rumble, bumble, stumbles a lot out there. Not sure why but he sure has some awkward look routes and catch attempts.

Q is not one who will stretch the field like the top TEs do today. He is a great #2.

Pugger
12-30-2013, 11:14 PM

I see what you did there. :lol:

Joemailman
12-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Quarless has done some nice things lately, but he also makes mistakes. I don't think Arod's 1st INT was intended for Boykin. I think it was intended for Quarless, but he cut off his route. I like him as a #2, but he's a below average #1.

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 08:06 AM
Q is not one who will stretch the field like the top TEs do today. He is a great #2.

?? is the NO. 1 TE ??

Ted Thompson will tell us in the off season.

Maybe!?

denverYooper
12-31-2013, 09:52 AM
You talking about Finley or Ouarless?

Yeah, I was talking about Quarless. I might have been getting a little ahead of myself in the throes of post-coital bliss.

But I still think he's a solid all-around TE.

Cheesehead Craig
12-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Happy to have Quarless as the TE. He seems to be getting trusted more and more and he's stepping up.

MadtownPacker
12-31-2013, 10:15 AM
Happy to have Quarless as the TE. He seems to be getting trusted more and more and he's stepping up.There it is! He is working his way up. Unlike Finley, the box of chocolates, cuz you never know what you're gonna get.

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Happy to have Quarless as the TE. He seems to be getting trusted more and more and he's stepping up.

For sure that's right.

He's obviously working hard of Aaron Rodgers would ignore him.

bobblehead
12-31-2013, 11:07 AM

No, he is not. But he will block for Lacy better than any of the field stretching TE's and thus a strong running game enhances play action thus stretching the field by freezing the pass rush and coverage LB's.

bobblehead
12-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Quarless has done some nice things lately, but he also makes mistakes. I don't think Arod's 1st INT was intended for Boykin. I think it was intended for Quarless, but he cut off his route. I like him as a #2, but he's a below average #1.

He was occupying the spot in the zone he was supposed to. It was not his job to continue his route to the sideline where Boykin already was. Lets not go all brett favre and blame a receiver for the interceptions. ARod made a throw, and the DB made a good read to abandon his coverage and make a pick. All there was too it.

red
12-31-2013, 12:23 PM
quarless probably shouldn't even be on the roster next year. whats he done in his time in green bay. two "monster" games of 66 yards

we still need a Real #1 TE, and not just another one that has "potential"

bobblehead
12-31-2013, 08:56 PM
quarless probably shouldn't even be on the roster next year. whats he done in his time in green bay. two "monster" games of 66 yards

we still need a Real #1 TE, and not just another one that has "potential"

Here is the problem. Quarless is not great, but is proving serviceable. The problem with losing him would be this. He knows the offense. Has multiple years in it. He has been hurt. Anyone we bring in now has exactly one offseason to learn from scratch. Quarless needs to be retained...for a modest contract obviously, but he is better to have at this point than to not have.

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 09:04 PM
He was occupying the spot in the zone he was supposed to. It was not his job to continue his route to the sideline where Boykin already was. Lets not go all brett favre and blame a receiver for the interceptions. ARod made a throw, and the DB made a good read to abandon his coverage and make a pick. All there was too it.

A pick his mother could have made.

red
12-31-2013, 09:17 PM
Here is the problem. Quarless is not great, but is proving serviceable. The problem with losing him would be this. He knows the offense. Has multiple years in it. He has been hurt. Anyone we bring in now has exactly one offseason to learn from scratch. Quarless needs to be retained...for a modest contract obviously, but he is better to have at this point than to not have.

the problem is that he's on his rookie deal, making the bare minimum, and to me, thats exactly what he's worth

i don't know if he's worth a million a year, or 4 million a year if TT goes the same route with Q as the last guy i thought was worth the bare minimum (brad jones)

in a perfect world, he would be, at best, a #2 and to me #2 TE should be up and coming guys, not guys who have never been

bobblehead
01-01-2014, 09:04 AM
the problem is that he's on his rookie deal, making the bare minimum, and to me, thats exactly what he's worth

i don't know if he's worth a million a year, or 4 million a year if TT goes the same route with Q as the last guy i thought was worth the bare minimum (brad jones)

in a perfect world, he would be, at best, a #2 and to me #2 TE should be up and coming guys, not guys who have never been

I get that. But he has some useful talent. He is solid as a blocker and so far below average as a pass catcher, but showing signs of life now that he is being used that way. Because Finley was always on the field in passing situations we never got to see much of Quarless. Yes, I would be upset if we gave him 4 million a year, but say 2.5 I would rather have him than random rookie, or some other teams cast off.

pbmax
01-01-2014, 09:15 AM
I think he gets a deal, especially if Finley is viewed as gone. So its possible he has to wait if he wants the max the Packers will spend on him.

Starter, part-time contributor on ST, he's get Bush money or perhaps a little more. He is a starter but his numbers are modest compared to others. If there is no Finley, there will be some budget room for a low-mid priced vet at TE.

Bossman641
01-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Q is a good #2 TE, would prefer a better #1.

Bretsky
01-01-2014, 12:40 PM
I thought Quarless was junk and I admit I was wrong
I think he can be a serviceable starter with a strong group of WR's now

best of luck to Finley

Patler
01-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Actually, I think Finley would make a good #2 if his career continues. Too inconsistent and unreliable for the #1 spot in both blocking and receiving. I think Q can be reliable in both, though less flashy as a receiver than Finley.

Even if he is allowed to play, I fear that this injury may change Finley for ever. I have said since 2011 that his knee injury changed him. He became more guarded, less physical. That injury was virtually nothing on the panic scale in comparison to his neck injury. I'm not sure how well he will get past it mentally if he is allowed to play. That's not meant as a criticism in any way, shape or form, because if I was him, I would thank the sport for all it had given me, thank God for the blessing of a complete recovery and walk away to my family, leaving the sport behind.

mraynrand
01-01-2014, 01:18 PM
perhaps people are getting too hung up on #1 and #2 designations (no jokes please), but that's to be expected because money is involved. Finley - he's not a 1 or 2 so much as he is an offensive weapon that can do things Q can't but he can't (or won't) block as well as other TEs who are themselves limited physically in the passing game. Some are done with Finley. But at a reasonable price, I'd love to have him back (no pun intended).

Patler
01-01-2014, 01:33 PM
perhaps people are getting too hung up on #1 and #2 designations (no jokes please), but that's to be expected because money is involved. Finley - he's not a 1 or 2 so much as he is an offensive weapon that can do things Q can't but he can't (or won't) block as well as other TEs who are themselves limited physically in the passing game. Some are done with Finley. But at a reasonable price, I'd love to have him back (no pun intended).

I agree, to some extent. The #1 & #2 references for WRs never made a lot of sense for me, because both are on the field all the time anyway, and many teams use them somewhat interchangeably. For TEs I think it makes some sense, because the #2 TE is the guy who comes in for specific formations, but likely will play a lot fewer snaps than the #1 TE.

I agree with your description of Finley, and I think he could be a real asset due to his versatility.

TravisWilliams23
01-01-2014, 02:52 PM
His ego won't let him come back at a reduced price. He thinks of himself as THE BEST TE in the league and wants to be paid accordingly. That attitude is good to motivate himself to be a great player but somehow he'll have to honestly look at what his shortcomings are. I'd argue Jimmy Graham, Gronk, Davis, and Witten are better TE's than him WITHOUT the serious neck injury. Plus, GB's past record of releasing players who've had serious neck injuries doesn't bode well for Finley's return here.

BZnDallas
01-01-2014, 03:08 PM
So what are the rules on comp picks? If GB does say thank you to Fin and lets him walk in FA and he gets a huge contract somewhere do we get a 4 or better? (no disrespect to Fin)

Joemailman
01-01-2014, 04:56 PM
So what are the rules on comp picks? If GB does say thank you to Fin and lets him walk in FA and he gets a huge contract somewhere do we get a 4 or better? (no disrespect to Fin)

The highest you can get is a 3, but those are rare. Likely the highest they would get is a 4.

woodbuck27
01-01-2014, 08:46 PM

Paranoia abounds on Packerrats.

We'll get over it...well..... some of us will.

At a reasonable price. Jermichael's ego won't allow him to come back.

mraynrand
01-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Paranoia abounds on Packerrats.

We'll get over it...well..... some of us will.

Just bizarre

mraynrand
01-01-2014, 08:54 PM
At a reasonable price. Jermichael's ego won't allow him to come back.

His ego won't let him come back at a reduced price. He thinks of himself as THE BEST TE in the league and wants to be paid accordingly.

I think the evidence is that TT sets a price and won' budge. I suspect that price for Fin is way lower than what Fin wants, for the reasons mentioned above. What will be interesting is whether anyone will take the chance to give him more than the Packers. There are a lot of stupid teams out there, so it's a good bet he's gone.

run pMc
01-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Not sold on Quarless as your starting TE coming out of training camp. Maybe my opinion is affected by his shakier performances in games earlier in the season -- when he was still trusting the knee and getting rid of the rust -- but he's just ok. Every time he catches the ball, I'm surprised.

Finley > Quarless IMO, but I agree Finley is inconsistent. How many 'wow' plays has Quarless made vs. Finley? Does Quarless have a 100 yd game in his career? I agree with the post about how the neck injury will affect Finley's play. Assuming he gets cleared to play, will TT will sign him? I'm not sure signing players with injury histories is his style.

I think TT lets Finley go, drafts a TE, and has Quarless, Taylor, draft pick, Stoneburner and Bostick duke it out for the starting job. I think Bostick gets one more chance in TC to prove he belongs, he can't be a project forever.

Patler
01-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Does Quarless have a 100 yd game in his career?

I'm not sure that is a relevant standard. In 70 regular season games, Finley only has three 100 yd games, one in 2009 and two in 2010. None since 2010.

RashanGary
01-02-2014, 12:57 AM
Quarless' has played his best football this year, and he keeps getting better. I always thought he played a little stiff, but this year he looks more limber and athletic. He's not a pro-bowler, but this year he's been a good player for us. With Rodgers, Lacy and a solid group of receivers, Quarless is a nice fit for our team.

Patler
01-02-2014, 01:47 AM
Quarless' has played his best football this year, and he keeps getting better. I always thought he played a little stiff, but this year he looks more limber and athletic. He's not a pro-bowler, but this year he's been a good player for us. With Rodgers, Lacy and a solid group of receivers, Quarless is a nice fit for our team.

I agree. If the Packers really are committed to their running game, and if they can keep together a group similar to Nelson, Cobb, Jones and Boykin at WR. Quarless might even be a better fit than Finley. In 2011, Quarless had surpassed Crabtree as their best blocking TE. He lost some of that following the injury, but seems to be getting it back. As long as he is reliable as a receiver, having him on the field might give them better balance and consistency, especially if Lacy develops as a receiver.

bobblehead
01-02-2014, 02:24 PM
His ego won't let him come back at a reduced price. He thinks of himself as THE BEST TE in the league and wants to be paid accordingly. That attitude is good to motivate himself to be a great player but somehow he'll have to honestly look at what his shortcomings are. I'd argue Jimmy Graham, Gronk, Davis, and Witten are better TE's than him WITHOUT the serious neck injury. Plus, GB's past record of releasing players who've had serious neck injuries doesn't bode well for Finley's return here.

I'm not so sure. Finley is a weird dude. He acts TO at times, then at other times he does and says all the right things. I can't say what he will do, but if our offer is competitive with what he gets on the open market I wouldn't bet on him leaving...wouldn't bet on him staying either. Like I said he is a weird dude.

bobblehead
01-02-2014, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure that is a relevant standard. In 70 regular season games, Finley only has three 100 yd games, one in 2009 and two in 2010. None since 2010.

Oh, its a relevant standard...Finley just doesn't live up to it either.

mraynrand
01-02-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm not so sure. Finley is a weird dude. He acts TO at times...

That seems unfair. The worst Finley doesn't approach the worst TO. I know you probably didn't mean to equate Finley's worst with TO's worst, but I still think it's a bad comparison.