PDA

View Full Version : Best Division Title Ever?

Rodgers12
12-30-2013, 06:36 PM
I don't recall the 80's, but division titles in that decade was rare. Harlan told that me the one time the Packers did clinch the division in the 80's, Packer Nation celebrated as if they have just won the Super Bowl.

From 1995 onward, division titles were like lap dances - nothing but a 5 minute euphoria. In most years, the Packers ruled supreme and the Super Bowl was the thing, not a lowly division title.

The title in 2003 was pretty thrilling. The Packers got a little help from the voodooed Arizona Cardinals. Josh McCown threw the game-winner to Nathan Poole on a play that forced many a-Viking fans to seek lobotomies.

In a injury-plagued season that made even the staunchest Favre supporters appreciate Aaron Rodgers, I've got to say this year's division title is the sweatiest. The best ever.

I dunno, with a disgraceful defense that cannot protect a lead worth a lick, being NFC North Champs could be the high point of the season. Please tell me the Packers can go higher.

oldbutnotdeadyet
12-30-2013, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=Rodgers12;764431]I don't recall the 80's, but division titles in that decade was rare. Harlan told that me the one time the Packers did clinch the division in the 80's, Packer Nation celebrated as if they have just won the Super Bowl.

From 1995 onward, division titles were like lap dances - nothing but a 5 minute euphoria. In most years, the Packers ruled supreme and the Super Bowl was the thing, not a lowly division title.

The title in 2003 was pretty thrilling. The Packers got a little help from the voodooed Arizona Cardinals. Josh McCown threw the game-winner to Nathan Poole on a play that forced many a-Viking fans to seek lobotomies.

In a injury-plagued season that made even the staunchest Favre supporters appreciate Aaron Rodgers, I've got to say this year's division title is the sweatiest. The best ever.

I dunno, with a disgraceful defense that cannot protect a lead worth a lick, being NFC North Champs could be the high point of the season. Please tell me the Packers can go higher.[/QUOTe

The packers can go higher...

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Right on Rodgers12.

:glug:

Rodgers12
12-30-2013, 06:58 PM
The packers can go higher...

Thanks...I was standing on an edge, tied to a noose. You came along and you cut me loose. :)

Rodgers12
12-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Right on Rodgers12.

:glug:

WB, you were the only who believed that Packers would make the playoffs after the Detriot debacle. :worship:

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 07:23 PM
WB, you were the only who believed that Packers would make the playoffs after the Detriot debacle. :worship:

There had to be others in Packer Nation that truly believed.

Believe me to go where I go is a definite commitment. I'm a dedicated kinda guy. :-D

I also love 'white water canoeing and rafting'...the most dangerous waters.

I like climbing cliffs.

I once drank a whole quart of tequila...then ...

Went waterless for three days. I couldn't stop tipping over water glass's. I couldn't find my mouth with a straw.

I slept with Judy Fitzgibbons. Judy doesn't have teeth.

Best Saturday morning activity in the Summer...Sky Diving.

I love to fish. Best way to fish!? Brave Saturday traffic in Montreal and go to the fish market.

On Sunday... I'm always prepared in the Lord. I drive around and around .... and around ... the church. I love the music.

I wear a *Hab Jersey at Leaf games. A leaf jersey at *Hab games. I'm a *HAB* fan. :mrgreen:

* Les Canadiens de Montreal...Les habitants....Les Hab's.

I eat my hot dog with mustard and relish AND catsup with cooked and raw onions. I'm a wild man.

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2013, 11:17 PM

I first sprung the scenario that the Minnesota tie would allow us to win the division without beating Detroit, so do I get half a credit. Of course, that was when I thought Rodgers would be back after the Lions game.

Favorite division titles for me:

2003 Favre's Dad dying, Ahman Green going off on Denver (98 yard TD run), Josh McCown
1995 Yancey Thigpen's drop, first division title in a very long time
2013 So unexpected with a whole lot of failure by the Lions and Bears and some Cardiac Pack mixed in (Minnesota, Atlanta, Dallas) to give us a chance

channtheman
12-31-2013, 02:35 AM
You motherfuckers forget all too soon.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26307-Called-it

After the loss to the Giants, the Bears were 6-4 and went 2-4 down the stretch. The Lions were also 6-4 and went 1-5 down the stretch. In fact, the only game the Lions won was against us.

We went 3-2-1 from that point on. I thought we were going to have to go 4-1-1, but damn those two other teams in our division love starting strong and finishing like shit.

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 06:31 AM
You motherfuckers forget all too soon.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26307-Called-it

After the loss to the Giants, the Bears were 6-4 and went 2-4 down the stretch. The Lions were also 6-4 and went 1-5 down the stretch. In fact, the only game the Lions won was against us.

We went 3-2-1 from that point on. I thought we were going to have to go 4-1-1, but damn those two other teams in our division love starting strong and finishing like shit.

See Post #11 and your thread... 'Called it'.

GO PACK GO !

Pugger
12-31-2013, 10:09 AM
If you consider all the adversity we had to endure this season this particular divisional championship has to be the most satisfying if nothing else.

mraynrand
12-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Last time we tied MN, we lost the division by virtue of that damn tie. Great start to that year, horrible finish. 1982 was pretty awesome with the strike shortened-year and the 'playoff' victory over the Cards. Divisional loss to Dallas was extremely exciting and disappointing at the same time. But at that time I was more into watching the Bucks lose every year to the Celtics or 76ers - whoever bought the right player in the off season. Didn't really celebrate the division wins that much. From an emotional fan POV, winning the Division isn't as important as winning the head-to-head games (esp Bears and Vikings), if that makes sense.

mraynrand
12-31-2013, 12:19 PM
If you consider all the adversity we had to endure this season this particular divisional championship has to be the most satisfying if nothing else.

It's satisfying because it was an elimination game against our most hated rivals and we won with the dagger of all daggers!