PDA

View Full Version : 4th and 1............MM Wantd to Punt

Bretsky
12-30-2013, 09:46 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/facing-a-fourth-and-1-packers-offense-wanted-to-go-for-it-b99173516z1-237924721.html

woodbuck27
12-30-2013, 10:07 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/facing-a-fourth-and-1-packers-offense-wanted-to-go-for-it-b99173516z1-237924721.html

Was he glad he didn't push that?

Rodgers12
12-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Would've been a stupid, extremely stupid, decision to punt. I, for one, am glad the players hit McCarthy in the head to make him change his mind.

4th and less than a yard, 1 TO remaining, a little over 4 minutes left, down 1. D can't stop the run. Fuck yeah, go for it, Mike Sherman, err McCarthy!

Last time I coached football, I coached a bunch of bytes on Madden. But in a said situation, you have to go for it. If you don't convert, you want your opponent to score - preferably a fg - ASAP. Punt and the Bears have no incentive to score; priority would be to milk the clock dry.

pbmax
12-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Would've been a stupid, extremely stupid, decision to punt. I, for one, am glad the players hit McCarthy in the head to make him change his mind.

4th and less than a yard, 1 TO remaining, a little over 4 minutes left, down 1. D can't stop the run. Fuck yeah, go for it, Mike Sherman, err McCarthy!

Last time I coached football, I coached a bunch of bytes on Madden. But in a said situation, you have to go for it. If you don't convert, you want your opponent to score - preferably a fg - ASAP. Punt and the Bears have no incentive to score; priority would be to milk the clock dry.

He reconsidered when the refs called for a measurement and gave the players chance to talk to him. His comments last night made it seem like he thought they were further away than the measurement showed them to be.

Rodgers12
12-30-2013, 11:01 PM
He reconsidered when the refs called for a measurement and gave the players chance to talk to him. His comments last night made it seem like he thought they were further away than the measurement showed them to be.

Btw, great awareness by A-Rod. Play clock was waning down and Taylor (I think) did not line up properly. Rodgers did not just got Taylor set, he got the ball off.

Even if the Packers were penalized 5 yards for illegal formation or delay of game, and were facing 4th and 6, the wise move would still be to go for it. The clock was the enemy as much as the Bears were.

How many times have we seen Bellichick go for it deep in his own territory? The guy's a genius.

channtheman
12-31-2013, 01:54 AM
I actually cannot believe MM even thought about punting. I agree completely with going for it. There is very little chance we get the ball back again, and if we do, there's probably only about 60 seconds left with no timeouts.

pittstang5
12-31-2013, 06:21 AM
Having all three timeouts or at the least, two, especially being at what, their own 25 - 30 yard line, maybe you punt. One timeout, 4 minutes left - Bears would have just run it down their throats. Even stacking the box, I don't know if the Packers could have stopped them. Somebody or muliple players kept losing contain, Forte, I mean Matt Forte, could have easily sealed that game.

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 06:43 AM

Was he not watching it as close as Packer fans were?

There should have been no doubt that he had to go for it there.

The way I saw it if I was him I'd have been screeming about the damn spot. Any question of not going for it and punting was out of the question that wasn't.

All day Mike McCarthy had to make a fourth down play and NOT punt. Holy Cow that would have sucked!

There...that's clearly an example of why I say that MM chokes up...literally frezes when under the gun and so often gets out coached in big games.

Mike McCarthy is so fortunate to have Aaron Rodgers as his QB because without him he's not lasting in the NFL. The same goes for his boss Ted Thompson. Aaron Rodgers is their saviour.

Aaron Rodgers needs a HC, OC, DC and GM that supports his competency/skills.

Allows Aaron Rodgers, fortifies his chances to do more than win NFCN crowns.

GO PACKES ...GO PACK GO !

Fritz
12-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Had they punted, they would have lost that game, I firmly believe. They'd never have gotten the ball back at all.

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Had they punted, they would have lost that game, I firmly believe. They'd never have gotten the ball back at all.

For a word of Devine Grace. We'll never know Fritz. :neutral:

pbmax
12-31-2013, 09:10 AM

That would have been my fear but the ONLY thing this defense seems to be able to do lately is get a stop in the 4th quarter somehow. They could have loaded up against Forte and it would have been stomach churning man on man outside versus the twin towers.

pbmax
12-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Was he not watching it as close as Packer fans were?

There should have been no doubt that he had to go for it there.

The way I saw it if I was him I'd have been screeming about the damn spot. Any question of not going for it and punting was out of the question that wasn't.

All day Mike McCarthy had to make a fourth down play and NOT punt. Holy Cow that would have sucked!

There...that's clearly an example of why I say that MM chokes up...literally frezes when under the gun and so often gets out coached in big games.

Mike McCarthy is so fortunate to have Aaron Rodgers as his QB because without him he's not lasting in the NFL. The same goes for his boss Ted Thompson. Aaron Rodgers is their saviour.

Allows Aaron Rodgers, fortifies his chances to do more than win NFCN crowns.

GO PACKES ...GO PACK GO !

It can be easier to see through legs of officials measuring on TV. His view could have been blocked. There is a reason players gesture the actual distance to the sideline, its not easy to see. Packers were on the 22. I think the coaches cannot move past the 25 during the game, so he also could be looking at an angle.

Part of calling a football game is not having perfect information. Having the officials measure is a way to buy time and get some certainty. Its done all the time.

Packers4Glory
12-31-2013, 09:17 AM
IDK that it would have been completely stupid to punt but I think going for it was the right call simply because the defense was just taking on so much water. But when you have a Lacy or Kuhn with a line that can block and the leagues worst run D in front of you....it really shouldn't have been a hard call to make at that time.

This play tho is one bears fans are crying about because of the play clock. But having watched football, you see the play clock get down to 0 sec all the time. It's just a matter of when the refs look up and look back at the ball. But had they called that penalty it's 4th and 5. Then we are punting.

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 09:28 AM
It can be easier to see through legs of officials measuring on TV. His view could have been blocked. There is a reason players gesture the actual distance to the sideline, its not easy to see. Packers were on the 22. I think the coaches cannot move past the 25 during the game, so he also could be looking at an angle.

Part of calling a football game is not having perfect information. Having the officials measure is a way to buy time and get some certainty. Its done all the time.

Where was his OC? Tom Clements located?

Didn't Tom Clements clearly see the situation as you and I did pbmax?

Didn't Tom Clements communicate the need to go for it in that situation with MM?

Didn't MM consult with Tom Clements as a prerequsite action in that extremely important instance?

pbmax
12-31-2013, 09:38 AM

Didn't Tom Clements communicate the need to go for it in that situation with MM?

Didn't MM consult with Tom Clements as a prerequsite action in that extremely important instance?

Coaches are in the middle of the field in a box and do not have the TV feed. They have the in stadium video.

denverYooper
12-31-2013, 09:49 AM
Coaches are in the middle of the field in a box and do not have the TV feed. They have the in stadium video.

There's often been known to be a bit of a lag on the visiting team's monitors, especially in Atlanta. Too much cable or they have to run it through at transatlantic relay or something.

pbmax
12-31-2013, 09:55 AM
There's often been known to be a bit of a lag on the visiting team's monitors, especially in Atlanta. Too much cable or they have to run it through at transatlantic relay or something.

Its a long way to the geostationary orbiting satellite and back. And back. And back. And back.

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Its a long way to the geostationary orbiting satellite and back. And back. And back. And back.

OK .... blame it on the Technology.

MM is off the hook again. Slippery devil.

Pugger
12-31-2013, 10:06 AM

Tom is on the sidelines most likely conferring with MM on the headset. We usually see him sitting next to AR (or Flynn when Matt was starting) talking to each other after each offensive series.

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Tom is on the sidelines most likely conferring with MM on the headset. We usually see him sitting next to AR (or Flynn when Matt was starting) talking to each other after each offensive series.

Exactly and he's not far from MM.

I can hear Aaron Rodgers now when MM was going to punt.

I'm seeing air and I'm seeing it transformed into something ...what's that? Ohh yea...

Blue.

gbgary
12-31-2013, 11:08 AM
4th and 1............MM Wantd to Punt

glad he didn't. the d hadn't made a stop the whole 2nd half.

bobblehead
12-31-2013, 11:12 AM

They still use coaxial for the visitors. Fiber optics is expensive and reserved for the home team.

bobblehead
12-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Having all three timeouts or at the least, two, especially being at what, their own 25 - 30 yard line, maybe you punt. One timeout, 4 minutes left - Bears would have just run it down their throats. Even stacking the box, I don't know if the Packers could have stopped them. Somebody or muliple players kept losing contain, Forte, I mean Matt Forte, could have easily sealed that game.

So Lattimore won the game for us. Had he gotten off the field we would have had 2 TO's and stubby definitely would have punted :)

bobblehead
12-31-2013, 11:17 AM

[/COLOR][/B]

Good God woody, overstate much. MM managed to win games and get back in contention with the once traded twice cut Matt Flynn. Rodgers actually played a pretty bad game sunday all considered (2 picks and a fumble).

Lets not get carried away here. I could argue that Eddie Lacy and James Starks deserve a better QB just as easily.

mraynrand
12-31-2013, 11:57 AM
So Lattimore won the game for us. Had he gotten off the field we would have had 2 TO's and stubby definitely would have punted :)

silk purse from the sow's ear

mraynrand
12-31-2013, 11:58 AM
They still use coaxial for the visitors. Fiber optics is expensive and reserved for the home team.

I could lay some cable for them.

QBME
12-31-2013, 12:02 PM

One pulls cable and one lays pipe.

mraynrand
12-31-2013, 12:05 PM
One pulls cable and one lays pipe.

Excuse my faux pas. How Gauche!

QBME
12-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Excuse my faux pas. How Gauche!

In either case, it gets a guy to where he wants to go....:)

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Good God woody, overstate much. MM managed to win games and get back in contention with the once traded twice cut Matt Flynn. Rodgers actually played a pretty bad game sunday all considered (2 picks and a fumble).

Lets not get carried away here. I could argue that Eddie Lacy and James Starks deserve a better QB just as easily.

I'm not posting that in terms of what Rodgers has in support of him so far on offense. If TT doesn't sign James Jones (cover for his possible loss in FA) or doesn't find more at TE then that will come into the discussion.

I'm referring specifically to where the team certainly is deficient on the defensive side of the ball. TT has to sit with MM and get more done there.

I'm enjoying our discussion but right now must support Team Canada Hockey Juniors @ the World Championship and in a 1-1 deadlock with you fellas.

Canada 1 - USA 1 after two periods. We start period 3 shorthanded after a penalty late in the 2nd.

It should be on your TV cable or satellite.

Later......

Freak Out
12-31-2013, 12:14 PM

You mean push some rope?

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 12:23 PM
It's now 2-1 Canada over the USA with our 16 Year old prodigy Star player Connar McDavid scoring.

OK we just scored again ... Curtis Lazar and with two goals under 3 minutes, Canada leads 3-1 in this New Years Eve game. We really need this win and you fellas maybe not so much.

We're all over your team. Carrying the play to the USA constantly.

OK It's over and WOW!

The USA pressed hard and Canada managed to hold on and win it 3-2.

Your best player from Team USA Riley Barber.

Ours is HAB draft pick and the goalie from the Memorial Cup Champions Halifax Mooseheads ... Zach Fucali. He was sensational in the net today.

Packers4Glory
12-31-2013, 01:48 PM
It's now 2-1 Canada over the USA with our 16 Year old prodigy Star player Connar McDavid scoring.

OK we just scored again ... Curtis Lazar and with two goals under 3 minutes, Canada leads 3-1 in this New Years Eve game. We really need this win and you fellas maybe not so much.

We're all over your team. Carrying the play to the USA constantly.

OK It's over and WOW!

The USA pressed hard and Canada managed to hold on and win it 3-2.

Your best player from Team USA Riley Barber.

Ours is HAB draft pick and the goalie from the Memorial Cup Champions Halifax Mooseheads ... Zach Fucali. He was sensational in the net today.
WTF is this shit?!?!

http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/images/smilies/canadian.gif:bs:

:glug:

bobblehead
12-31-2013, 08:53 PM
You mean push some rope?

That bitch is lying...wait....what?

woodbuck27
12-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Packers4Glory:

WTF is this shit?!?!

http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/images/smilies/canadian.gif:bs:

:glug:

You fellas take out Russia in the 1st Rd. of the playoffs and we'll stomp the Swiss and see yaa later this week.

K !? :idea: :whist: