PDA

View Full Version : Cutler signs 7-year deal. Tim Jennings 4 years.

denverYooper
01-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Matt Bowen ‏@MattBowen41 2m
#Bears announced a 7-year deal for QB Jay Cutler + a 4-year deal for CB Tim Jennings.

Pugger
01-02-2014, 09:44 AM
:bclap:

pbmax
01-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Now all the Lions need to do is hire Jim Caldwell or Josh McDaniels.

woodbuck27
01-02-2014, 09:58 AM
RE: Chicago QB Jay Cutler:

Awesome news and I'm happy for Jay Cutler !

I'm happier for that news and the Green Bay Packers.

Patler
01-02-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm OK with the Bears spending a big portion of their salary cap on Cutler. I just hope it is a very big portion of their salary cap!! I am interested in hearing the terms.

mraynrand
01-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Trestman did a very nice job with the Bear offense this year, so he is obviously thinking that Jay will continue to be a very effective QB for them. And they have weapons galore on that team. This is an expected move and - as Patler suggests - depending on the contract terms, they may be able to address the defense in the offseason the way they addressed the offense last off season. A dangerous team, these current Bears.

denverYooper
01-02-2014, 10:06 AM
I'd be surprised if Peppers is retained: from http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/julius-peppers/, he's getting to the funny money portion of his deal -- due 18,183,000, with $8,366,668 in dead money to cut.

That's a lot of dead clams, but 10 mil saved if they keep him.

woodbuck27
01-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Trestman did a very nice job with the Bear offense this year, so he is obviously thinking that Jay will continue to be a very effective QB for them. And they have weapons galore on that team. This is an expected move and - as Patler suggests - depending on the contract terms, they may be able to address the defense in the offseason the way they addressed the offense last off season. A dangerous team, these current Bears.

Marc Trestman is a smart, extremely hard working and overall trustworthy man (loyal to his players) that will do a lot for the Chicago Bears.

Patler
01-02-2014, 10:20 AM

Which is why I don't mind Cutler being the man in charge on the field. He has shown a strong tendency in his career to play poorly, or at least not perform well when he is needed the most. He has an awful lot of natural ability, but doesn't seem to get the most out of it. He won't flop every time, but enough to give GB its opportunities.

pbmax
01-02-2014, 11:05 AM
I'd be surprised if Peppers is retained: from http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/julius-peppers/, he's getting to the funny money portion of his deal -- due 18,183,000, with $8,366,668 in dead money to cut.

That's a lot of dead clams, but 10 mil saved if they keep him.

They can probably split that dead money over two years in some fashion. Still not cheap but doable. He also might get one more year in a restructure.

woodbuck27
01-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Which is why I don't mind Cutler being the man in charge on the field. He has shown a strong tendency in his career to play poorly, or at least not perform well when he is needed the most. He has an awful lot of natural ability, but doesn't seem to get the most out of it. He won't flop every time, but enough to give GB its opportunities.

Jay Cutler is in some kind of zone like I've never seen from another Pro Athlete.

It's like he's never far away from entering 'the BLANK ZONE'.

This guy astounds me with his ability to express 'indifference'.

hoosier
01-02-2014, 11:19 AM
The Packers can take advantage of this opportunity iff their defense can return to its ball-hawking ways.

Patler
01-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Jay Cutler is in some kind of zone like I've never seen from another Pro Athlete.

It's like he's never far away from entering 'the BLANK ZONE'.

This guy astounds me with his ability to express 'indifference'.

Ya, Aikman was kind of amazed at his comment about not attaching too much significance to the Packer game. As Aikman said, it doesn't get any more significant than needing a win to get into the playoffs.

MadtownPacker
01-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Oh wow, and we all thought the bears had just blown it last Sunday.

woodbuck27
01-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Oh wow, and we all thought the bears had just blown it last Sunday.

There's a certain trend there that's a real head scratcher. I'm not sure how the Chicago Bears GM GM Phil Emery and HC Marc Trestman are going to sift that out.

That's an interesting watch.

Bossman641
01-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Cutler rumored to be about 18M a year and 50M guaranteed. :clap:

Now to see if there's any funny money involved.

Pugger
01-02-2014, 11:51 AM

Yes, Cutlet's problems appear to be between the ears.

red
01-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Lol

Maxie the Taxi
01-02-2014, 12:48 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoLpDyoBDsoeImvAnyRKNVjBTVzeyjt hwFB-G778YIKBBtRVm5qFJ1W3IyV2NHTt8UIIrvf7e_

http://content.newsinc.com/jpg/1461/25489328/8796416.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads18/slap+shot+hansons+premiere_scruberthumbnail_112948 01588.jpg

Trestman and Emery (with their other twin brother Darryl) during their college days at Calgary State.

By the way, in his press conference Emery called the New Orleans Saints their "toughest opponent" of the year.

Rutnstrut
01-02-2014, 01:03 PM
The Packers can take advantage of this opportunity, if they fire Capers.

Fixed that for you;)

mraynrand
01-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Trestman: keep the hat on
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7658/drspencerreidcriminalmi.jpg

New Orleans: Was Chicago's toughest opponent; Chicago was soundly beaten by them.

red
01-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Cutler rumored to be about 18M a year and 50M guaranteed. :clap:

Now to see if there's any funny money involved.

18 million a year for the first 3 years

LOL, oh i love the bears

Bossman641
01-02-2014, 01:23 PM
7 years 126M with 54M guaranteed. The reaction is incredibly varied down here around Chicago.

hoosier
01-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Fixed that for you;)

Yeah, Cutler has really had his way with Capers defense over the years, hasn't he. :roll:

Maxie the Taxi
01-02-2014, 01:31 PM
New Orleans: Was Chicago's toughest opponent; Chicago was soundly beaten by them.

I watched Philadelphia make mincemeat of them. Plus, the Packers in the last game of the season proved pretty, darn tough.

mraynrand
01-02-2014, 01:34 PM
I watched Philadelphia make mincemeat of them. Plus, the Packers in the last game of the season proved pretty, darn tough.

How could I forget that lovely Philly game? See, the memory is going.

Dave, Stop it Dave....Daisy, Daisy...... give ... me your answer...do.

Maxie the Taxi
01-02-2014, 01:59 PM
A lot of pundits are forgetting about Philly. I think they'll beat NO.

By the way, Trestman said something really interesting in his news conference:

Trestman sought to clear up what happened on the Packers' game-winning touchdown pass in Sunday's season finale, saying that Conte didn't get the correct defensive call and was in a zone while the rest of the unit was in man-to-man.

Since that kind of thing never happens to Green Bay, maybe the Bears should pursue Capers. I wonder if Stubby would allow it?

mraynrand
01-02-2014, 02:00 PM
A lot of pundits are forgetting about Philly. I think they'll beat NO.

By the way, Trestman said something really interesting in his news conference:

Since that kind of thing never happens to Green Bay, maybe the Bears should pursue Capers. I wonder if Stubby would allow it?

LOL

gbgary
01-02-2014, 02:20 PM
:bclap:

that's what I thought when I heard. he's the romo of the nfc north. glad chi is banking on him as their future.

MJZiggy
01-02-2014, 06:04 PM
I saw this trending on Twitter. Hilarity ensued. The Packers did publicly acknowledge their happiness about it as well.

Joemailman
01-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Rodgers is signed through 2019 and Cutler through 2020. In other words, for the next 6 years, The Packers will beat the Bears when it matter the most.

woodbuck27
01-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Yes, Cutlet's problems appear to be between the ears.

" Cutlet's problems appear to be *between the ears*." Pugger

* Ask him "what's there" and all you might get is ... 'a hunch of the shoulder'.

This man is in another 'free zone'. Jay might? call it ... ' Duhhland '.

woodbuck27
01-02-2014, 11:42 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoLpDyoBDsoeImvAnyRKNVjBTVzeyjt hwFB-G778YIKBBtRVm5qFJ1W3IyV2NHTt8UIIrvf7e_

http://content.newsinc.com/jpg/1461/25489328/8796416.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads18/slap+shot+hansons+premiere_scruberthumbnail_112948 01588.jpg

Trestman and Emery (with their other twin brother Darryl) during their college days at Calgary State.

By the way, in his press conference Emery called the New Orleans Saints their "toughest opponent" of the year.

Geee !

I thought that Marc Trestman learned to fly on skates during his employment in Canada.

Jimx29
01-03-2014, 02:47 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/24v3zn7.jpg

Patler
01-03-2014, 02:51 AM
In a Chicago Tribune poll, with over 12,000 votes, 47% like the signing of Cutler and 53% dislike it.

woodbuck27
01-03-2014, 07:27 AM
In a Chicago Tribune poll, with over 12,000 votes, 47% like the signing of Cutler and 53% dislike it.

Then the majority today aren't pleased with The Bears management.

denverYooper
01-03-2014, 09:16 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdEEWC0CYAAKHf7.jpg:large

mraynrand
01-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Then the majority today aren't pleased with The Bears management.

I'm guessing they will be. Cutler has been generally better this year and the organization seems to have their stuff together. Cutler played well against the Packers last Sunday. If they can make the same repairs to their defense that they did to the offense (in one season, no less), they will be very tough to beat, even with some easy pickings from Cutler.

QBME
01-03-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm guessing they will be. Cutler has been generally better this year and the organization seems to have their stuff together. Cutler played well against the Packers last Sunday. If they can make the same repairs to their defense that they did to the offense (in one season, no less), they will be very tough to beat, even with some easy pickings from Cutler.

Yup. They have the potential to be very, very good.

woodbuck27
01-03-2014, 09:49 AM

Good Day ... myarnrand:

It's a good ? to ask why the Bear fans might be upset with the generous offer the organization gave to Jay Cutler.

What I see in that fella would certainly bug me. I'm referring too his certain 'not even a shrug' attitude I see. That fella is really different in terms of how I've seen Pro athletes act after any disappointment.

I certainly believe in regards to any question and Jay or Josh McCown that they went in the correct direction.

It might be all about something else altogether that I havn't had the time to look into.

GO PACK GO !

Joemailman
01-03-2014, 09:56 AM
They're still paying elite money to a QB who is not elite. That could have salary cap implications down the road. Marshall has 1 year left on his contract and Jeffery and Forte have 2. How good will Cutler be if they have to let 1 or 2 of those guys go? Cutler had a passer rating of 89.2 this year with perhaps the best pair of WR's in the NFL. A lot of QB's could have done better. Including the guy the Bears benched when Cutler came back.

woodbuck27
01-03-2014, 10:19 AM
They're still paying elite money to a QB who is not elite. That could have salary cap implications down the road. Marshall has 1 year left on his contract and Jeffery and Forte have 2. How good will Cutler be if they have to let 1 or 2 of those guys go? Cutler had a passer rating of 89.2 this year with perhaps the best pair of WR's in the NFL. A lot of QB's could have done better. Including the guy the Bears benched when Cutler came back.

I agree with that as a whole.

Guiness
01-03-2014, 10:31 AM
The talk that McCown was a viable alternative to Cutler was sheer foolishness. Sure he played well, but he's purely a stopgap, so it was Cutler or start over in the draft. They don't want to play the lottery, so Cutler is the primary choice, but I think the Bears could've played their hand a bit better than they did! He's not elite, and $18M seems pretty top end to me. It almost seems like all the teams are putting more $$$ towards the QB despite a relatively flat salary cap simply because other teams are doing it. Do they think paying the guys more money is going to make them better???

woodbuck27
01-03-2014, 10:40 AM
The talk that McCown was a viable alternative to Cutler was sheer foolishness. Sure he played well, but he's purely a stopgap, so it was Cutler or start over in the draft. They don't want to play the lottery, so Cutler is the primary choice, but I think the Bears could've played their hand a bit better than they did! He's not elite, and $18M seems pretty top end to me. It almost seems like all the teams are putting more $$$ towards the QB despite a relatively flat salary cap simply because other teams are doing it. Do they think paying the guys more money is going to make them better???

Cutler did very very well.

Joemailman
01-03-2014, 11:22 AM

It's supply and demand. There are more NFL teams than there are NFL-caliber starting QB's. The Bears probably figured that if they didn't offer Cutler elite money, somebody else would. Then, as you say, they'd be starting over. McCown was probably never in the conversation, especially because of reports that he is pondering retirement. http://tracking.si.com/2013/12/25/josh-mccown-retire-bears-family-nfl/

red
01-03-2014, 04:58 PM

i call it the michael jordan syndrome. when MJ came back from his first retirement he was given a $25 million a year contract. at the time it was unheard of, but the thinking was, he was the best athlete that ever lived and he had been playing for pretty cheap before that.

this set the benchmark and everyone that came after that thought they should also be getting that kind of money or close to it. there was MJ, and there was everybody else, no one was close to him and no one should have been paid like him

in the NFL, you have brady, peyton and rodgers, and then there's everyone else. eli, matt ryan, cutler, stafford, romo, all these clowns aren't anywhere near in the same class as the big three and they shouldn't me making anywhere near the same kind of money.

but its good for us. we're getting our money's worth. everyone else is just pissing away money and cap space on inferior shit

red
01-03-2014, 05:01 PM
and back to cutler vs mcnown

cutler got the huge deal, the funny thing is, if mcnown continued to start over cutler when cutler became "healthy", the bears would probably be the ones in the playoff right now

Guiness
01-03-2014, 09:30 PM
i call it the michael jordan syndrome. when MJ came back from his first retirement he was given a $25 million a year contract. at the time it was unheard of, but the thinking was, he was the best athlete that ever lived and he had been playing for pretty cheap before that.

this set the benchmark and everyone that came after that thought they should also be getting that kind of money or close to it. there was MJ, and there was everybody else, no one was close to him and no one should have been paid like him

in the NFL, you have brady, peyton and rodgers, and then there's everyone else. eli, matt ryan, cutler, stafford, romo, all these clowns aren't anywhere near in the same class as the big three and they shouldn't me making anywhere near the same kind of money.

but its good for us. we're getting our money's worth. everyone else is just pissing away money and cap space on inferior shit

Ya, that's pretty much how I feel about it.